Why has he refused to buy a proper defensive midfielder and some good CBs for close to a decade now?

Why has he refused to buy a proper defensive midfielder and some good CBs for close to a decade now?

Other urls found in this thread:

mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/lee-dixon-claims-tony-adams-12134364
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because he doesn’t want to pay the big bucks

Has he even tried to develop a good one from the academy?

Arsenal were fine with Coquelin, he was a 10/10 defensive midfielder but 3/10 everything else. Wenger decided to fuck it up by trying to turn him into a more rounded midfielder which ended up turning him into a 3/10 player in general.

>50m for lacazette
>65m for aubameyang
>35m for xhaka

Luckily for him he's at a better team now

>tfw too smart to play DMs

He literally just needed to buy Felipe and Danilo from >us to make a title run (2nd place this year because City are op). Now he lost Sanchez and spent another fortune on a pacey nigger forward who doesn’t really suit his playstyle.

I don’t think any other clubs wanted those players to be fair. As soon as Arsene is actually in competition to buy a player with other clubs interested he chickens out and won’t buy them or enter into a bidding war.

because he's an out of touch old man, coasting until forced retirement

Arsenal use a sports analytics software to identify targets now. Called StatDNA I think.
Every StatDNA signing has flopped massively though. Xhaka Mustafi Kolasinac

He was alright thanks to Cazorla but he got injured.
Gilberto Silva has never been replaced.

You forgot Gabriel Paulista.
Kolašinac was free, I don't think it has to do with StatDNA.

Arsenal fans told me Koscielny was world class a couple years back

>buying overrated shitters from a Portuguese team who just got brushed aside by pool would see them rise from 6th to 2nd

Doubt.jpg

People will stop falling for the Portuguese memes eventually

Remember his comments about a CDM basically being the same as a CB, hence why he plays Elneny or used to play Coquelin as a CB. But he also thinks that there is no difference between a CDM and a CM.

Thus, using Arsene logic, the more CM's he buys, the more CDM's he gets, ergo the more CB's he has.

£25 million bid for Cleverly when?

Wenger can't buy defensive players.

Southampton and Spurs use analytics too but they're actually good at it.

cole who was the best LB in the world, but that's it

Nearly every club uses stats and analytics to some degree now. Much more efficient way to getting a wide list of targets to narrow down, than having to have scouts across the world constantly watching every league

One of the DMs from the top Primeira Liga clubs would be perfect for Arsenal (Danilo, William or Fejsa).

He's too smart for that.

Fag

Cole was a Palace player.

Apparently not
mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/lee-dixon-claims-tony-adams-12134364

*wins the European cup on your path*

Adams couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. Also what's with all Wenger's ex players shitting on him recently?

Tottenham signed a DM from Portugal and it worked out pretty well for them.

>they want Löw
He's been at a stacked national team for years and was criticized. Seems like a risk.

Because who needs defense if you score bags of goals m80

>Low
>Ancelloti
>Tuchel
>Leonardo Jardim
these are the the top candidates apparently. regardless, Wenger is staying on for 18-19 so why bother now?

Dier was signed as a CB. Or do you mean Pedro Mendes?

He brought decent players, he's just a shit manager who can't make them work.

Any top manager would outperform him with this squad.

he clearly does not want to win

he fell for the each player can fit into multiple positions meme

To be fair all the DMs people begged him to sign ended up being shit.

he was but he's been playing through pain for a while now

This. He plays CBs as CDMs and develops them into box to box players.

He also plays strikers on the wing.

>cole
>best LB in the world
>in an era when Maldini was still playing
ok

>People will stop falling for the Portuguese memes eventually
Hopefully

>Plays a 433/4231 for literally years and fails consistently
>Huge tactical shift to a 3 4 3
>Its literally the same formation, works exactly the same way and has the same weaknesses

Fucking hell lads football has become very weird. When are we going to see the return of the 2-8-0? By todays standard of congesting the midfield, it would be the GOAT formation.

M'vila when lads

Gabriel Paulista was another fucking massive StatDNA flop, jesus christ

Allison
Bellerin Skriniar De Vrij Monreal
Fabinho Ramsey Kovacic
Ozil Obama Guedes
MANAGER: Tuchel

>Kovacic
>Fabinho
>Guedes
/arsedelusion/ pls go

>congesting the midfield
enjoy getting raped by teams with centerbacks that can actually play a ball

the destroyer of Shkenja

defending is easy la

all u need is a big gritty cunt to do the tackles and recoveries and a smart cheeky cunt to play the ball out from the back safely innit??
e a s y

Benitez would sort that team out in an afternoon.

Formation makes literally no difference in Wenger's teams because he doesn't like giving hard instructions to players and lets them do what they want.

It worked when he had the invincibles because they were all world class and not mental midgets.

Solutions easy, just have 4 midfielders attacking the box at the same time remaining as narrow as possible. CBs can't mark them all. Too many moving in to track back effectively, especially if they use my patented 'zig-zag past each other on the way' technique.

If Arsene switched to a hard 4-2-3-1 with an effective holding mid transfer over summer, he can play a really nice double pivot with Xhaka, i think Xhaka seems like a total brainlet on Arsenal because he's tasked with making pressing tackles and shit when he's really a ball player who just occupies the space

could you draw or explain this "zig-zag past each other on the way" tactic? this is for the midfielders who attack the box to make it impossible for the other team to track back to their own box??
i promise i wont use this tactic with my 9v9 intramural team

What? All of these players are gettable. Make Arsenal Great Again

Guedes is the only potentially gettable one

Isn’t he a Cruyff/Michels fanboy?

Xhaka just doesn't look good enough. Loses the ball too often and for Arsenal's possession style football that is inexcusable.

I think this is why buying a "proper defensive midfielder" is harder than it looks. They too need to be excellent on the ball and not just at tackling.

he did buy mertesacker tho

this
He should play Mertesacker over shitkrodan shitstafi, Mert is muuuch better at positioning and is a much safer albeit slower option. Koscielny + Mert works better than mushtafi and kosc

>Why has he refused to buy a proper defensive midfielder and some good CBs for close to a decade now?
What? Are Xhaka and Mustafi not good enough?

GOAT formation coming through

>le two foot tackling man aka walking red card man aka black liability
he's still better than xhaka though

half a decade ago yes

Monaco is a selling club. Kovacic has no future as a starter at Real. It can be done easily.

he's still got the same tactical know how and technique with marginally less physicality

>kovacic is gonna leave real madrid for fucking arsenal

keep dreaming pajeet

modric is 33 this year, its pretty clear they intend for kovacic to replace him

the fuck is a sweeper?

>marginally

he was slow in his prime and is now 34. i know he was good in the fa cup final but that was against a high press chelsea. counter attacking teams would murder him

It's the technical term for any beaner who plays defence

a position that hasnt been used outside of meme managers like bielsa for decades

kek

They'll probably buy the next shiny thing in market to replace Modric. Verratti perhaps.

not with zidane in charge they wont

instead of a midfielder who drops deep, a playmaking defender who presses forward

Reminder /arse/ unironically wanted Koeman to replace Wenger.
Reminder /arse/ unironically want Brendan Rodgers to replace Wenger.

Arsenal fans are just dumbfucks. They seem to have gained a lot of fans due to Thierry Henry being "cool" and kids playing them on FIFA

Brenny would be a laugh for a season. Don't expect to win anything anytime soon anyway.

>They seem to have gained a lot of fans due to Thierry Henry being "cool"
to be fair this is a big reason why kids in my generation bandwagoned Arsenal abroad like i did
i was a 1998 born babby whose first worldc up was 2006, so i got to see Henry flexing on everyone, subsequently decided to bandwagon a club that had been remarkably successful recently

Alright.
Left is starting formation.
Center is the movement of each player.
Right should roughly be the shape of the team as the chance is created.
A few notes.
For this system to work, you need to:
>play your best striker in the DM (#2) position
>Play CBs at wingback
>Play your playmaker at CB (#4)
>Everyone else should be pacey blacks

The Zig Zag in the runs of #9, #10 and #11 are simply to open up space directly through #4's final position and the far post, while #2's paused run is directly through the space opened by #9 and #11.
#10 is simply to stretch the defence wide.
The triangle in the middle can now play a side-up-side-through, or a variant as is necessary, to find your shadowyest of shadow strikers (#2) for the easy finish.

Rate.