Daily Japanese Thread - DJT

Japanese language learning thread.

Read the Guide linked before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where do download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/
Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.whatisthisimnotgoodwithcomputers.com/int/search/text/http://djtguide.neocities.org//type/op/
archive.whatisthisimnotgoodwithcomputers.com/int/thread/77215502/#77232659
youtu.be/KxGRhd_iWuE
jisho.org/search/杯 つき
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anyone have the number for the thread? We should really keep using it, lest we become a ''secondary'' DJT to the ''primary'' one over at /jp/.

I have my doubts that the thread numbers are anywhere near remotely accurate anyway to be honest.

archive.whatisthisimnotgoodwithcomputers.com/int/search/text/http://djtguide.neocities.org//type/op/
This archive is better when it comes to Sup Forums.
>210 results found

It's not only to find older threads, but it's also a long standing tradition, and it maintains the principle that we're the true DJT and not the /jp/ one.

Why did you people try to keep me away from Sakubi?

I give up, sorry everyone. I can't remember shit. Maybe I'll do it next year when I don't have to work and go to school at the same time. Thanks for all of your hard work guys. 頑張って

who gives a fuck

>he doesn't know this thread is already the secondary thread

well said finnie

The primary DJT will always be the one on Sup Forums desu

No, and for 2 reasons: we were here before some autists decided to create the /jp/ version, and this is the place that was decided by mods to be the home of DJT, since Sup Forums is THE language learning board.
The /jp/ version is an offshoot mainly discussing VNs and for spazzing out over who has the biggest e-peen.

>and this is the place that was decided by mods to be the home of DJT
The mods were wrong.
>since Sup Forums is THE language learning board
Sup Forums is Sup Forums-lite. I went to the front page just now and there was one thread about international exchange that wasn't inherently racist and one language learning thread: DJT. Every other thread is charged with ethnic conflict and two of them had pepe memes as their OP image.

Sup Forums has a bunch of country themed threads discussing in their own native languages, plus /lang/ which is for language learning in general. I don't know where the fuck you're looking. Also, how the fuck is /jp/ better suited than that, your DJT is surrounded by Babymetal threads you fucking moron.

On /jp/ DJT sits between a bunch of other Japan-related generals, where it belongs. It also doesn't attract neonazi weeaboos with yellow fever.

>Japan-related generals
Mostly teen idol and VN bullshit, nothing to do with language. You do realize that some people learn a language because they have interest in the language specifically, and not so much the culture, right? Knowing important fact concerning the language is way more useful than knowing tidbits about fucking Pocky sticks. Also, I'd rather have input from real nips here, rather than take the word of the Brazilians you have over there and who pretend to know the language more than native speakers.

>It also doesn't attract neonazi weeaboos with yellow fever

hmmmmmmmmmm

Correction: everything under the right side is the same group of people.

>some people learn a language because they have interest in the language specifically, and not so much the culture
You are an idiot if you think you can learn the language properly without learning the culture too.

These threads were originally on Sup Forums and /jp/ is as close to Sup Forums we can get without actually being back on Sup Forums, the user base is similiar. We don't want normies who don't care about anime and manga in these threads and they seem to prefer Sup Forums so /jp/ is better

You responded to the wrong post but I agree.

People that use the word ”normies” are normalfags themsleves.

I guess it's time for me to sleep

I guess normalfags have watched over 10000 hours of anime these days and continue watching 30+ series per season

>You are an idiot if you think you can learn the language properly without learning the culture too
Learning about the culture is fine, but I don't see how learning about what Morning Musume is up to helps me learn the language. However, the /lang/ general here does help with language learning, and gives perspective by speaking with learners of other languages.
>These threads were originally on Sup Forums and /jp/ is as close to Sup Forums we can get
You clearly weren't there on Sup Forums, it was a shit show with the autists taking over, and the fucking Brazilian chasing away actual native because he thought he knew better than him. Being on Sup Forums is actually a step up from Sup Forums, because you can see when your question is being answered by an actual native and when it's being answered by some arrogant autistic BR. Getting away from Sup Forums's autism and having those morons be over at /jp/ instead of here is the best thing that could have happened.

リア充死ね

Yeah those English teachers and proxy users are real useful for learning Japanese

Don't forget about the natives that are armchair linguists with outdated prescriptive grammar education that no longer accurately describes the language as of the 1970s.

Yes, those English teachers with shit English. Has anime destroyed too many of your brain cells?
>American insulting natives' language skills
Par for the course.

Language skill and ability to correctly advise people with regards to a language are completely unrelated.

>those English teachers with shit English
>>American insulting natives' language skills
>Par for the course.
Well, you basically said what I was going to say

Native learned their language in a formal setting at school for at least 15 years. What the fuck are you on about? Is American schooling so shit that Americans couldn't even explain the only fucking language they have to learn? That's on you then, but you should stop projecting that onto other people.

>Native learned their language in a formal setting at school for at least 15 years
No they didn't. they learned their language in an informal setting literally everywhere over the course of their entire lives.

Did anyone else use the Core 2k/6k images? I feel like I should drop them because some of them are just plain weird/dumb, but I'm not sure if they're actually helping me or I'm just getting annoyed by them.

I think they're detrimental, yeah.

You're right, and on top of that they also learn it in school for 15 years. Yet you have the moronic arrogance to insult their skill in their own fucking language. I think it's safe to say that even if they're not good at linguistics, they're in a better position to comment and answer questions than a fucking Brazilian autist in his basement who learned Japanese by listening to AKB48.

I never insulted their skill in their own language, you're just an idiot.

See >Don't forget about the natives that are armchair linguists with outdated prescriptive grammar education that no longer accurately describes the language as of the 1970s.

Yeah. That has nothing to do with their language skill.

It has to do with their ability to explain their language and answer questions about it. Which is what we were talking about. Just admit you're wrong and we'll call it a night.

If that was what we were talking about why did you conflate it in such a way as though I were accusing them of being incompetent in their own language? Fess up.

I never said ''incompetent in their own language''. I said ''skill in their own language'', which includes speaking it, knowing it and being able to explain it.

user, I'm sorry that it's hard for you to correctly interpret long sentences with no commas in them, but that doesn't mean I said what you're saying I said.

>I said ''skill in their own language'', which includes speaking it, knowing it and being able to explain it.
Being unable to explain your language correctly does not make you unskilled in it. You fucking retard.

It's certainly a part of skill in a given language. But you're right in saying that the ability to explain your language is not all that is encompassed in the skills one has concerning a language.
Learn English before going for another language.

You know those people who complain about split infinitives and going-to futures and floating prepositions? Exactly the same kind of people exist in Japan, and they're very bad at correctly explaining their language, because they have an elaborate but shallow conscious understanding of advanced grammar, and nearly no understanding of the academic ideas behind those grammar rules. They are in no way unskilled in their own language, they just have incorrect conscious conceptions of what's right and wrong. This thread has exactly such a Japanese native post trying to give explanations on a somewhat regular basis. Not every native that posts here is like that, but the phrase "the natives that" does not include all natives that post here, it includes only the ones that qualify.

>when you arguments are so predictable that you get hit with a pre-typed wall of text less than a minute after you post your dumb bullshit

Some of us who have studied linguistics appreciate these types of analytic explanations. You made them out to be these morons who can't let go of outdated concepts, when they're the ones who know the language more in depth. That was the main issue I had with what you said. I can understand it coming from Americans who are monolingual and who don't even learn the grammar of their own language, but most of the rest of the world do know these grammar points because they speak more than one language.

If you think the native I'm referring to doesn't end up posting bullshit on a regular basis then you don't know enough Japanese to rate other people's advice.

Link me one think he posted that was utter bullshit. I'll wait.

>成る is a copula

Thanks for the reminder.
archive.whatisthisimnotgoodwithcomputers.com/int/thread/77215502/#77232659

I speak 3 languages and have no clue about the grammar rules in any of them. I just know what sounds right

Same.

I speak three and know the grammar point for all three. I don't know where everything went so wrong for you, hope things pick up soon! :^)
That's Pantsuya, not the helpful native that's always here. Everything Pantsuya says is unrelated bullshit though, I'll agree on that.

>I speak three and know the grammar point for all three.
Apparently not.

yep I learned a bit of advanced grammar but never used it for anything. I just don't think it's very useful.

>「ずいぶん 焦らせる演出ですねぇ。」

what did he mean by this? seems to be something about presentation

excuse me, what is the character circled and for what purpose is it there?
thank you

>Learning about the culture is fine, but I don't see how learning about what Morning Musume is up to helps me learn the language.

That band is part of contemporary Japanese culture. That's why people learn Japanese to begin with, to experience it. And you learn about contemporary Japanese culture much better in /jp/ than on Sup Forums.

When Japanese is written vertically the katakana vowel extension character is a top to bottom stroke instead of a right to left stroke.

did you mean: instead of a left to right stroke

It's a vertical --, it lenghtens the vowel.

please get a trip

please get a trip

"weeaboo faggot thread"

ah! thank you

To Japan? I wish I could

Don't let your dreams be dreams

葉が錆びる
風で汗が凍る
夏の完成

What's a better second line? I don't like it and it has 1 too many mora.

come on pekka, reconnect with your cousins

I am reading a LN at a pace of five pages per day, I wish I could do more but I have little time, and my mined deck gets swamped with new cards every time.

IME issue
I can't get 一等卒 by typing いっとうそつ
I only get 一統率
But if I type いっとうそつ and leave it as kana in jisho search bar - it finds 一等卒
Is typing いちーなどーそつ - the only way?

Just add it to your IME's dictionary if it's not there, user.

Switch to botnet IME.

Delete more cards while reviewing / be more selective in creating new cards.

Any ideas where the つき reading for 杯 comes from?

Archaic Japanese.

Any dict articles or reference materials?

Literally any dictionary focused on including archaic words.

No luck

>Nara-period usage
>more than 1200 years before
I haven't known that reading of "杯" until now.

..but now I noticed "杯" could be read as "さかづき(さかずき)". So it was originally written as "酒杯".

youtu.be/KxGRhd_iWuE

Are you an idiot or merely pretending?

jisho.org/search/杯 つき

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you're just hopelessly retarded.

otaku/weeb culture isn't the same as japanese culture in general
do you think some 50 year old japanese woman cares about stupid idols

There's no indication that 杯 has an alternate form 坏.

>さかづき(さかずき)
Thanks.
Failed to notive this correlation.

まあ、コーヒーを飲んちゃったし、今直ぐ巨大な糞をしに行くんだよ
幸運を

>some 50 year old japanese woman cares about stupid idols
They do.
Stop behaving as if you know all about Japan.

It's literally right there on the fucking page you colossal cunt.

I was talking about the 杯-article. Not the other way around.

Don't be hard on him so much.
I assure 95% of Japanese you would meet haven't used the "坏" in their lives nor known how to read it.
(but intuitively we would associate it some "杯" made of clay

so what, you'll find similar pictures here but with justin bieber or some shit
doesn't mean that this is normal

>justin bieber
Does he also involve women older than 50?
Kiyoshi(man in the pic) is popular only among women older than 45 or so, never younger than 30.

When you see any weird thing about Japan in internet, that's just all of us. Don't overrate us anymore, please.

>doesn't mean that this is normal
And you say so?
So why the Olympic Organizing Committee for 2020 plucked this shit as their board member?
AKIMOTO YASUSHI fucking "producer" of shitty shit "AKB48"!?
I totally guarantee that in the opening ceremony of 2020 Olympic you would see those cheap AKB48 like idols (maybe JPN48) marching into the arena and start dancing singing "ai rabu yuuu- ai niido yuuu--".
Just leave off this country and run for China.

the "normal" was referring to old women still caring about pop culture
japan is quite famous for its idol shit so it's logical to include it in such a huge international event

>old women still caring about pop culture
A couple of my coworker (women older than maybe 50) are doing that. Very neat ladies and
decent coworkers.
>>so it's logical to include it in such a huge international event
Why could you keep your sanity in front of our going to profane the European tradition from ancient Greek?
But don't be worried, I am determined to cut open my stomach during that ceremony and ruin it.

I want a cute japanese gf
i dont have high standards just that she is cute and japanese
what do??