How does it work in countries like this where there are 3+ national languages...

How does it work in countries like this where there are 3+ national languages? Is there a common language everyone is expected to speak, or are all of your programs, books, media etc translated into the regional language?

All in the regional language.
When we have to talk to each other, we just use English (except in bilingual towns, there you just talk in your language and the other person should understand it).
A special case is Romansh. It's a really, really small language, so they mostly remain on German for their media.

>*rely

huh, interesting. I wish our schools put more focus on language learning. Everyone is expected to take 1 year of Spanish here but nobody pays attention which is sad.

Learning a language in one year is tough. We have French/German for 5 years in elementary and middle school, and then 3 years in high school (but only like a third takes high school).
So in the ideal case, a whopping 8 years in the second national language.
(English is 2+3 years. Italian is optional).
I can read French perfectly, but I am self-conscious about speaking it or writing for longer tracts.

How do you do when you watch a documentary at TV which broadcasts in French and you live in the Italian region?

The regions have their own gov funded channels. There's no "national" channel per se.
You can of course watch the regional channels if you want and can understand it.

do the regions vote different in elections?

Yes, French part and cities in the German part are left-leaning, rural German and Italian part are pretty conservative.

I could probably look this up on my own but it's almost 5 am and I'm sleepy so I'll ask you, why do you have all the languages in Switzerland? I guess it probably has something to do with being smushed in between 3 European powers. It's actually a pretty interesting subject maybe I'll find a book about it.

to clarify my question, why did you end up with German, French AND Italian rather than say, just German? Was the whole of Switzerland as we know it today always Switzerland or did you guys annex land from France and Italy? Sorry if that's a dumb question I'm tired.

if you go to switzerland and you meet a person who doesn't speak german, then he/she is not worth talking to

I think everyone is worth talking to

It was originally only German speaking areas.
We then conquered part of Savoy and Burgundy, those were two former French speaking states, as well as part of the Duchy of Milan, that's the Italian part. That was 500 years ago.
After that, we said we're eternally neutral and armed us to our teeth to stop getting cucked out of our gains.

Oh cool. Switzerland seems nice, although a bit boring (no offense). My mom actually got a job offer in Switzerland when I was 13 but she didn't take it because she wanted to stay in New York ;-;

No offense taken, it is on the boring side. I lived in Berlin, and it was way more interesting. But you can still do cool shit here, outdoorsy stuff, explore medieval old towns, and some cities have a nice music/art scene. But yes, overall somewhat boring.

Romansch is a language isolate leftover from the Roman times or?

No, it's also Latin based. You are thinking of Rhaetic. Romansh looks like something like this:

La regiun Alvra (tudestg Region Albula) è in'unitad d'administraziun dal chantun Grischun ch'è vegnida creada entras la refurma territoriala grischuna sin il 1. da schaner 2016.

La regiun administrativa – che correspunda a la regiun geografica dal Surmeir – consista principalmain da duas vals: La Val d'Alvra che vegn percurrida da l'Alvra ed il Surses che vegn percurrì da la Gelgia (Güglia). Nua che la Gelgia sbucca en l'Alvra giascha la chapitala da la regiun, Casti.

I'd give an arm and a leg to buy a hut in the Alps

I think they've got enough rich Americans in Switzerland desu.

Did you decided to use the standardized versions of french, italian and german or was it just by a cultural influence ? and therefore why the romansch don't speak italian ?

What about no national language?

Sounds like a Northern Italian dialect

>Kannada is not a language spoken by the Indian/Inuit natives in Canada
wtf

I thought it was somewhat similar to friulan which I found incomprehensible but I have to say it looks very familiar and I think I have understood everything