Is PTA the best director of all time? What do you think is his best movie...

Is PTA the best director of all time? What do you think is his best movie. For me it's a tie between The Master and Magnolia. The Master is really great as well.

Pic related is fucking boring and grossly overrated.

Favorite is Boogie Nights. Still have to see There Will Be Blood. Wasn't a fan of The Master.

Me and my friend used to call this movie 'There Will Be Sleep' cause it was so boring and it was on tv like 3 times a day.

you'd have to be very dumb to think this movie is boring

No way although I do like him. Inherent Vice is by far his best, his earlier stuff I don't care for. The Master was also quite good

you and your friend are plebs

kek

youre both retards

It's like a Zola book but as a movie, ie boring.

No man, that's just what PTA wants you to think. It's one of those middlebrow films with lots of plot that tries to intimidate the easily-led with its tone into accepting tedium as the price of maturity. Resist it. The highbrow and the lowbrow are all part of a patrician diet, but the middlebrow must be treated with great caution. Otherwise, before you know it you'll be putting John Huston films in your top ten.

Can you give us a few examples of high brow films then?

>for me it's a tie between The Master and Magnolia
>The Master is really great as well

I don't know user I think There Will Be Blood was pretty good. On the other hand user I thought There Will Be Blood was pretty good too. But have you considered There Will Be Blood as his best movie? I thought There Will Be Blood was good.

mistyped user

sounds good user

As an American I loved There Will Be Blood. It shows the cut throat effort to build industry in the early 20th century.

It's not pretty good, it's a monument to human mastery of the cinematic art form. It's going to be in the top 10 movies of this century.

Milkshake is an unironic greatest moment in cinema this century

I'll give you one tip - go see A Quiet Passion.

eh it was alright. didn't get to see the whole thing because we were all drinking and talking throughout. afterwards everyone agreed that they didn't really reconcile some of the plot points or explain why he killed his brother which i thought was bad writing

If it was, you wouldn't be using a tortured phrase like "human mastery of the cinematic art form". The only good thing in it is Dano's performance.

You haven't seen shit, son. American studio filmmaking has been finished for years as far as art is concerned. If it was up for Oscars, it's not going to be on a high level.

what's better?