Twin Peaks Season 3

Are ya hyped yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LaVFzJnBH0M
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I want coffee

Why would anyone be hyped for Twin Peaks: Normie Edition "we want the 14-16 Netflix/GoT audience"

Yeah, like Lynch would come out of early retirement for THAT

hell yea

So I've just started watching episode 3 of the first season, already getting annoyed with the biker stuff and how every woman in this entire town is mentally ill, most of them in very convincingly obnoxious ways.

But the plot is good I have to admit. Is the fish in the coffee pot the first supernatural occurrence? Why does FBI man like this vacation so much? Will he get diabetes? Will the daughter of the guy who was trying to get the Norwegians trip and fall off a balcony onto the mother of the girl who was murdered and do away with two characters so annoying it's painful to watch? I guess I'll have to keep watching to find out.

>how every woman in this entire town is mentally ill, most of them in very convincingly obnoxious ways.
You might not like Fire Walk With Me then, because ultimately it's about Laura's troubles with BOB

>we want the 14-16 Netflix/GoT audience

this is the same audience who thinks anything that happened before the iphone was humans banging rocks together.

Oldfag here, I would be if it was the 90s

Fuck yeah. Got three eps left in my Twin Peaks ep a day marathon.
Plus looking forward to seeing Fire Walk with Me for the first time. Never seen it due to not really caring much about it.

Yeah. I'll admit that 18 eps seem like much.

But at lease Lynch is doing all of them. I just wish Truman was being played by the original actor.

I was...too much time in between announcement and execution, not enough actual information.

But that's the fun: the mystery.

All I know about the return is who MIGHT be in the show. That's about it.
Haven't watched a single video about the show.

I will wait for Audrey to be COOPED. I am personal friends with Lynch and he LYNCHED her

*blocks your path*

LEOED

wtF. i thought they just werent gonna have him in the show.

best part is Madchen has aged the best out of all the recurring characters

so they are not going to release any footage? I am fucking thirsty for some plot details.

Nah. Guy retired to live in Hawaii.

True. But I also found Fenn kind of trashy hot in Shameless.

it's better this way

Mark Frost introduced a character named "Frank Truman" in The Secret History of Twin Peaks, possibly Robert Forster will be playing Frank instead of Harry.

>I have hidden myself beneath a mask, I am a black and terrible god.
What did he mean by this?

How is Frank related to Harry?

I saw that. Yeah, at least they're not recasting him.
I'm also interested in how they handle Bob. And Log Lady.

And it sucks that we'll never get anymore Pete.
;_;

whens this shit coming out? its been like 5 years since it was announced

its dark, like darker than the show

Have you seen this man, Sup Forums?

>gets down on one knee
w-would you do me the honour of begetting me safe passage, m'lady

Yeah. Saw that it's rated for more intense shit. Looking forward to it.

>tfw you picked the best girl from the start.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

They're brothers

>ywn sniff her hair

Lynchkino ranked

1. Lost Highway - 10/10
2. Mulholland Drive - 9/10
3. Eraserhead - 8/10
4. Inland Empire - 8/10
5. Blue Velvet - 8/10
6. The Elephant Man - 8/10
7. The Straight Story - 8/10
8. Wild At Heart - 7/10
9. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - 7/10
10. Dune - 5/10

accurate

I have high hopes for the kinship between Laura and Cooper this season, it is one of the best things about the show. Them being drawn towards each other despite never having actually met in the real life

In the middle of episode four now. Seriously did you guys mean "everyone is mentally delayed" by "surrealism"?

Are you the guy from yesterdays thread? The dude that was wondering about the international pilot?

I was wondering if I should watch the Q2 FWWM Fan edit? I read a thread a while ago saying it isn't very good, and there's a good reason the stuff got cut, but I am curious.

1. Inland Empire 10/10
2. Lost Highway 10/10
3. Eraserhead 9/10
4. Mulholland Drive 9/10
5. Twin Peaks: FWWM 9/10
6. Blue Velvet 8/10
7. The Elephant Man 8/10
8. Wild At Heart 8/10
9. The Straight Story 7/10
10. Dune 6/10
FTFY

Yeah. It just seems like literally everyone has a mild case of retardation the further in I get. I mean I know, the woods, the evil, the secret sheriff society, the whole bit, but seriously they just seem...delayed.

what do you mean by "delayed"?

What'd you think of episode 3? The dream in particular, and the opening scene with the sandwiches

>fwwm
>9
can't take you serious

>you'll never go to One Eyed Jacks

Are you the guy asking yesterday if he should watch it?

>The fish in the percolator
Probably the show's biggest mystery

It's cause it's a 10, right?

I haven't seen all the missing pieces so don't hold me to it but I heard that it ruins the dark tone of the movie to make it more like the show tone wise and messes with the climax. However the few deleted scenes I've seen do belong I think. Watch the original cut first then watch the fan edit I guess.

FWWM is one of Lynch's best.

Watch the original first, but feel free to watch the fan edit after that. Personally, I don't see much value in it, I don't think it enhances the film at all.

Just don't watch the fan edit first, that would be weird and give you the wrong idea of what type of tone the movie is going for.

Gonna be unpopular and say... FWWM is a superior, more emotionally resonant and mature work than Blue Velvet.

I mean stupid.
Even the people who don't have clear mental illnesses act stupid, either vindictive and petty or just sort of standing there mouth open at whatever happens to them. Except the FBI guy, but including the forensics guy.

I thought it was a little abrupt how he changes from a buttoned-down head of household to a plain ol' mister who don't have time for his family's decorum which he previously enforced. Dunno if his brother is one of "evil"'s many masks or just they didn't want to spend a lot of time explaining their bond and the effect they have on one another so made it one scene.

The dream was pretty funny, it reminded me a lot of abstract open-ended horror scenes I write for fun sometimes, with the absurd yet eerie sorts of things that sometimes lead into each other and sometimes don't to break up any comfortable feeling of a scene's cadence. I hope they don't play out TOO MUCH of its symbolism and leave some of it as just random untied ends.

Yeah. So it is (probably) supernatural, good. Unless that crazy wife put it in there. I don't even remember which one it was because let's be honest, they overdid it with the crazy wives/husbands for introducing so many characters at once.

no it's just dark n edgy woooaaa

>I will wait for Audrey to be COOPED

I hope so - if anything just to piss off that bitch Lara Flynn Boyle

Who's the towhead?

Guess I should've mentioned that I've already seen it. I was planning on rewatching the series before the new season, and wondered if I should watch the fan edit.

Fuck

you can ask him what it smells like - he'll tell you.

Have you seen Lynch's other stuff? He uses stilted dialogue and acting to give off an uncomfortable vibe.

>the percolator
Keep watching the show. It might not be as supernatural as you think.

I'm waiting patiently

You're wrong

Well, go for it then I guess. I don't know what would be a better way to experience the deleted scenes, just watching The Missing Pieces or doing it as part of a full edit. Like I say, I don't think it enhances the film but it'll at least be more cohesive than just watching the deleted ones on their own.

in that case then ya watch it sure. I plan on watching it tomorrow.

>been wanting to watch the show for years, know little to nothing about plot points
>finally marathon it all over the last week
>finish it today, pissed because weird ending
>realize they are starting a new season next month

What did the universe mean by this?

alright thanks anons, I'll give it a watch

it's so easy to spot the plebs that only heard about Lynch through Twin Peaks.
Netflix film students are hilarious.

FWWM is his worst film besides Dune.

I like her twin peaks, if you get my tibetan deductive technique, sheriff

>you only heard about this director from a show that came out 27 years ago

If you mean the dream/sandwich, yeah, 10/10 good stuff

But if you mean the general everyone seems sort of retarded thing, that stilted dialogue to me gives off less of an "uncanny valley, I'm spooked" uncomfortable vibe and more of a "god can the same person who killed her please abduct and kill both of her parents, the eyepatch bitch, the """""languid""""" histrionic girl, and one of the designated asshole boyfriend guys so all of those scenes are solo from now on" uncomfortable vibe.

This languid histrionic is the one I'm talking about. What was probably novel and interesting in the 1990s is like watching a scene about a more pronounced version of literally every woman in New England, where I live, today. Trashy but thinks she's refined, obvious but thinks she has mystique, a wet blanket but thinks she's so wild and spontaneous and like zomg dancing to music!

It was clearly meant to portray her mental illness, but the mental illness is just too status quo today for her to be anything but annoying, like some tumblrette's self-insert into literally every new show.

The over the top acting and characters are a parody of the soap operas of the time.

what a waste of trips

I watched Fire Walk With Me last.

FWWM is his pleb filter, Twin Peaks fans hated it and not even critics liked it when it first came out. I don't know what kind of mental gymnastics you're on to convince yourself you're special for disliking FWWM, you're in the normie camp, nothing to be proud of.

>normies hate it so it's good
>>>/reddit/

You're the one trying to fit yourself into some kind of special camp for disliking it, I'm just calling it as I see it, welcome to most Twin Peaks fans.

The ones that love the comfy pies and coffee memes, those are the ones you're in bed with. They sure do hate that movie because it wasn't "QUIRKY" enough for them.

>i don't like it so i must be part of the normie audience
please stop

is kyle maclachlan one of the nicest people around?
i'm pretty sure he's never gotten any of his politics mixed up in any of his work, and he seems like a well-rounded person.

Yeah and I must be a netflix film student, and a Lynch "fan" that never watched anything but Twin Peaks for liking Fire Walk With Me

How about you stop?

I've worked on a set with him - he seems a bit aspie and keeps to himself.

I know everyone hates this excuse, but the lame dialogue is supposed to be kinda shitty, mocking soap operas at the time.

Kinda makes the scenes with good dialogue stand out more.

But yeah, everyone pretty much agrees that the main storyline is the best one.

>best storyline
>not super nadine

it's objectively his worst film, pleb
cry more

youtube.com/watch?v=LaVFzJnBH0M

>objectively
How so? I'm genuinely curious. I'll admit it doesn't have the visual flair of some of Lynch's other works.

it means that show you like is coming back in style

>I mean stupid.
Even the people who don't have clear mental illnesses act stupid, either vindictive and petty or just sort of standing there mouth open at whatever happens to them.

Have you seen many soap operas? A big part of Twin Peaks was mocking soaps, at least until the middle of season 2 where they lost touch with that idea.

Are you sure they didn't just get bad actors/writing?

It's a convoluted mess, even for a Lynch film. Horrible pacing, which just felt rushed. The campy soap feel the show brings is thrown out the window for some ridiculously over the top edginess. I honestly could not stand this flick after the first 35 minutes, but regretably sat through it for another 1 1/2 for no payoff whatsoever. Just because it's Lynch people will give it a pass because of muh surrealism. That shit did not work in this flick.

The writing I'm not so sure, I enjoyed most of the storylines, but it kind of takes a nosedive in the second half of season 2 (still, the ending is probably one of the best episodes in the show, and you can't just skip episodes to watch it since you'd be pretty lost).

They definitely hired some pretty bad actors (and some really good actors), though.

I always figured the campy soap feeling was not used in the film because it was meant to be the town from the perspective of Laura - a constant nightmare. Even though I love that campy soap feeling the show had, FWWM's tone didn't bother me at all. I personally love all the stuff once we're in town but I will grant you that the opening 40 minutes are pretty hit and miss to me.

Interesting tidbit:

(Fire Walk With Me Spoilers)

This dream sequence from Fire Walk With Me is a prophecy and foreshadows the future for Laura. In her "Dream" that transcends time, she is told by Annie that Cooper being stuck in the Black Lodge, this obviously ties Laura to Cooper before either of them had even met each other. She then looks at her door and hears her mother scream, this scream is from the pilot, the morning after her death, Sarah is calling for Laura trying to figure out if she's home. So this is Laura in her room after her death, when she stands up she sees herself in a painting (The Black Lodge) which she is stuck inside.

Cooper doesn't want Laura to take the ring, in the dream she has it and she wakes up without it. Taking the ring assures her death and ties her to the Black Lodge. Could this dream have influenced her to take it? The ring gives her agency over her death, but she also knew something, maybe she knew Cooper could help her.

Do you think Lynch will go with the campy soap opera tone again? I feel like it wouldn't land as well in 2017, assuming they care about new viewers.

There aren't any, and it's pretty dumb to do that.

While tonally different, FWWM does speak to many of the over-arching themes of Twin Peaks- trauma and denial, the elusive spirit world, the duality of charming rural americana , etc. The fact that some scenes are "over-the-top" (which is not inherently bad) does not diminish this, in fact some such scenes are incredibly effective, i.e. the "wash your hands" scene.

Nope. I wouldn't be surprised if it has elements of campy cheese though, but that won't be the signature tone or anything. I really don't know what to expect, after Inland Empire it could really be anything, I mean what has his film making evolved into? It's almost impossible to make predictions.

I don't think it'll feel like a "modern" television show though, it'll probably have a very unique approach to doing things.

no true ranking of lynchkino calls Blue Velvet anything less than 9/10 or gives lost highway a nonzero score

>no payoff whatsoever
The last scene of FWWM is as cathartic as anything I've ever seen in a film. You have bad taste.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

I like the opening, I'm not sure exactly how much it contributes to the film itself, feels like it's contributions lies more in the universe of Twin Peaks as a whole, just getting to see the town and place where the original murder took place, Teresa Banks. The execution of it is interesting, it's the total inverse of Twin Peaks and I think it's a good way to set the mood for the film, it flips everything on its head right at the beginning.