Seriously, how is it?

I had high hopes but after Jeremy Jahns and Schmoesknows both said it sucks and Stuckmann's review still isn't out, I'm really hesitant.

I feel like you guys are the only ones I can trust not to be biased.

it felt more quippy but also more emotional than the 1st

It's better than the first one. Some parts are genuinely heart breaking.

>Jeremy Jahns

That faggot didn't think this movie was "awesometacular"?

Shit, maybe that means it's actually good.

You're better off watching BvS or Suicide Squad

I really enjoyed Sup Forums just hates anything that is popular.

I thought it was great.
I've heard some complaints that it's completely separate from the MCU, but I see that as a good thing because the MCU is turning to dogshit, Civil War sucked.
It's certainly character/comedy driven, so if you're into that you'll enjoy it. Also James Gunn's pals get some more exposure which is always fun.
But yeah, some of those online reviewers are hacks.

>because the MCU is turning to dogshi

Lol, cant wait to see the epic fail of this 10 years project

The first third of the film is genuinely quip central, I thought people were exaggerating but honestly every other line is a one liner. Picks up with feels later on, enjoyed it overall but preferred first film.
I wanna FUCK Gamora hnnnnngh

Especially with the Russo brothers directing, you just know those movies will be 4 fucking hours long each.

Why are you bringing up DC in a Marvel thread?

it's all about the pomin8or

>they replaced tower of terror with this guardians of the galaxy ride

thanks, assholes

5/10 massive step down

>I feel like you guys are the only ones I can trust not to be biased.

The editing was very choppy throughout the film. Too many pointless plots that went no where. Dialogue was either poor or basic. Bradley Cooper was annoying as fuck. Yondu and Ego were pretty good. Drax was the best part though.I didn't like it but I didn't expect to.

Also go to a session with as few people as possible. I had one of the worst theatre experiences when I saw it.

not always the case but if that makes you feel better about liking it, sure.

Worth it just for Yondu/Michael Rooker.

This is correct:

It was awful, user. It let me down pretty hard and I was already expecting it to be worse than the first one but not in this way. It is to GoTG what Age of Ultron was to Avengers but worse 'cause AoU had a plot, while this movie doesn't.

Everything is all over the place and everybody is just there. Things just happen and in the end golden people who nobody gives a shit about show up. It was an ensemble movie "focused" on one single character and everybody else was just there. I say "focused" cause this movie had no focus at all. It was a scattergun. Usually when a movie or tv episode focused on a single character while being part of a group happens we have those characters going on a trip, so they'll all have something to do. GoTG 2 though focus on Ego's planet. It's basically Guardian's holiday special. Star-Lord hangs out with Ego and everybody else is given ridiculous badly written pieces of things to do in a desperate attempt by James Gunn to justify their presence in the movie. The action was also repetitive and over the top. Everything was excessive.

Guess what? This movie was solely written by Gunn. That shows. He went full Whedon, man. Every scene in this movie felt like it was made by a cocky director who things he's smarter than he is with nobody controlling him. It kind of reminded me of Jurassic Park 2 but oh my god, JP2 was way better and more entertaining and engaging than this. I haven't been this detached in theaters since Suicide Squad. Everything was cliché turned up to eleven. The dialogue is insufferable.

>had one of the worst theatre experiences when I saw it.
Did you?

Forgot to say: there are a few good scenes though but three good scenes don't make a movie.

>Too many pointless plots that went no where. Dialogue was either poor or basic

This. The plots weren't pointless, they were just weak as fuck. Their point was a bad excuse to give the characters something to do.

As for the dialogue, I felt like the first movie was a typical movie for everyone of all ages while this one was made specifically for six year old kids. It is THAT dumbed down.

Nicole Perlman did make a great contribution to the first movie. I see that now. Now that Gunn wrote the sequel all by himself he fucked up pretty hard.

This guy 2 seats next to me had his phone out the whole time and would constantly show the girl next to me what was on his phone by shoving it right in her face. People would always go "Nawwwwww" when Groot was on screen. Girl would constantly yell out "cute doggo!" every time rocket was on screen and would have conversations with each other if Groot or Rocket wasn't on the screen. And when the big spoiler of the movie was revealed a girl screamed out "CUNT!" in so much hurt anger you would think it actually happened.

Every joke just seemed to be "PENIS AHAHAHAHA"

>Go to midnight release
>Opening scene
>EVERYONE KNOWS THAT SKIN IS THE SAME THICKNESS ON THE OUTSIDE AND INSIDE or whatever the fuck that line was
>Some hambeast goes into absolute hysterics
>Tfw I felt like a pleb for not being able to appreciate the joke of a biological nature
Then again she was also screaming when they were talking about Drax's turds so whatever

Do you think they are some normies out there who watch those flicks, but don't realise Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers are in the same universe?

Well, I imagine there must be one or two, mostly children,. but most of them can't be that obtuse.

I liked it. Go in expecting some easy to digest marvel Shit and you're set for some fun.

The visuals were fucking solid, I don't hear anybody talking about it. Best looking superhero movie without a doubt.

Copying and pasting from other thread:

Wasn't impressed. Jokes about vomit (and seeing characters vomit while other characters literally point and laugh), shit, burps, etc. Some real bottom-of-the-barrel low-brow humour in there. Plot is lazy and predictable, the "twist" doesn't make any sense, and there's a whole bunch of attempted sentimentality forced into the last ten minutes for characters we don't even care about just so their death can have an impact - and even then it still does not.

Soundtrack was obviously decent, performances were fine. Effects were decent, and the opening titles were actually really fun. Also the dynamic between Drax and Mantis (the new chick with antennae) was enjoyable. Easily the best part of the film.

Would probably go a 5/10. Pretty average. For reference's sake, I gave the first one a 7/10.

Also, not even exaggerating, the credits had four mid-credits scenes and another post-credits one. Fucking ridiculous.

It probably is the enjoyable popcorn effort, user. It my hypothetical theory of mine that any kinds of universe can never build on the marketing plan that lacks concept. If you think this Vol 2 is a single piece that fills in a spot in the jigsaw puzzle, the unusual suddenly seems intriguing. Y'know... like a SW !!! George originally came up with several stories that construct whole saga like the heavy duty novel. Then most importantly, a dude had the nerve to start whole thing from the infamous episode 4 !!! Just imagine how ppl thought who saw things as they go at the time. (笑´・艸・)

Ego is great, but a lot of the dialogue is just running gag after running gag after running gag.
The movie had a lot of those, and I felt that they didn't space them out enough, give them some breathing space. Each one has a high point that would have been much funnier if they had deleted the iterations between the set-up and the pay off.

Examples:
>Rocket dislikes being called a raccoon
>early on, he pulls a gun on Quill who corrects himself to "chipmunk" instead
>Rocket does a little survey whether the group thinks that's worse
>Quill says it is, Rocket attacks
For the rest of the film, no-one is able to correctly identify his species, ranging from fox to puppy to pointy-nosed monkey.
>Thatsthejoke.jpg

>Groot having to rescue Yondu and Rocket from a cell, sent to bring Yondu his experimental red fin first
>He brings everything and the kitchen sink (or rather, a Ravager's severed toe), but not the fin for what feels like 4-5min, receives a new description of the fin, leaves again

>a baddie who looks like the lead singer from Lordi goes by the name of Taserface
>cue every interaction with him becoming nothing but "BAHAHA YOUR NAME'S TASERFACE!"
>Pay-off: When he's about to die, telling his superiors he just wants his enemies to know their death at the hands of his superiors was his, Taserface's, vengeance, superior cracks up before disabling comlink

>the Death Button scene from the first trailer is greatly extended with more going back and forth between
"Which button is it?"
"I am Groot?"
"NOOO! Try again!"
and Quill asking all his team mates for duct tape off-screen while the camera is pointed at Rocket and Groot looking exhausted.

>Nebula craves some sort of root vegetable while she's chained up in the ship, gets told time and time again that the roots aren't ripe yet.
>five minutes later, she frees herself and takes a bite
>realizes it's not ripe yet.

>Sovereign drone ships are repeatedly treated like arcade machines

It meanders severely in the middle, but it's so vibrant, heartfelt, and fun that you'll wind up forgiving it for that by the end

Solid 8/10 if not higher

Best sci-if movie to come out in recent memory. Perfect balance of "space is a scary place full of alien rapists" and "space is beautiful and awesome"

>I feel like you guys are the only ones I can trust not to be biased.
Made it too obvious, OP.

>Peter carries around a 30 year old picture (barely crinkled) of David Hasslehoff

Yeah fucking right

Were some of the inner Ego's "landscapes" and a couple of scenes where we see the entire planet from space matte paintings?
I definitely had that impression, or at least CGI that purposely looked like those.

true i had a lot more fun with this than star wars rebels and force awakens,
i really liked ego

He actually does

Also:
>Rocket and Drax repeat between each other multiple times that Rocket stole batteries from the golden people

>Drax keeps telling Mantis he finds her repulsive to look at

>while Rocket, Kraglin the lanky ravager and Yondu are doing hyperspace jumps, their faces twist and morph into cartoony versions of their regular appearance. Because they have to make 700 jumps to reach Ego, there's multiple scenes on the planet that then cut back to the ship, and they're still at it.

By contrast:
>The memetic Pac-Man transformation is mentioned exactly once during the second act and has its pay-off in the finale

>Drax mentions in the beginning that he hates space suits because they chafe and his nipples are very sensitive
>Gets stuck in a space suit for the finale
>promptly exclaims "OW! MY NIPPLES!"

it's literally reddiit: the flick

>>Drax keeps telling Mantis he finds her repulsive to look at
i wished drax didn't talk so much

Everything explosion is rainbow coloured which is as though marvel took the criticisms of their movie being grey and just kept telling the graphics department "MORE COLOUR!".

after Civil War, the hype is dead for MCU flicks

And let's not get strarted on the skeletons appearing out of nowhere exactly at the right time for them to realise Ego was up to no good

Oh, and also there's a pronlonged scene where Yondu kills every single muntineer ravager with his whistle arrow - count the shots where the camera follows the arrow through a ravager, exposing the view through the hole it just made. There's quite a few.

And slow-motion scenes up the ass. So many things were needlessly in slow-motion.

Because tearing the Avengers up prematurely to force them back together in the next film is echausting

That, too.
And how often he mentions his bodily functions.
>sensitive nipples
>legendary turds
>his wife didn't dance, that made his "lower regions swell up"
>his disgust at the thought of "uniting bodily" with Mantis

And still they cram his "Thanos killed my family" backstory right between this.

he could have hidden them better or drop them in to the sun

I physically could not watch this movie In the cinema I started shaking back and forth muttering "This is Reddit, this is memes, this is Reddit, this is memes. THIS is REDDIT, THIS is MEMES. THIS IS REDDIT THIS IS MEMES".
Eventually I had to leave. I think I lasted 10 minutes.

The first one is way more concise, but this one is probably just as good. Humor is inconsistent, but has its high points. It suceeds where many MCU movies have failed: strong villain, nice visuals, belieavable relationships.

And thank god Baby Groot didn't take too much screentime.

sounds like Doctor Strange but more convoluted

>Strong Villain

I had billions of kids and only you have what I need, Peter!

..why?

all this was awful, but I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of the giant turd line. I felt like Marvel was actually giving me the middle finger AND shitting on my plate in the first 10 minutes of the movie ffs.

>And still they cram his "Thanos killed my family" backstory right between this.
i thought her forgot about that for most of the film

he>i thought her forgot about that for most of the film

Who gives a flying fuck about tower of terror? Is that such a big loss? Shut the fuck up. No one was fucking talking about tower of terror.

i didn't care for drax this time i like in the first film he was angry and driven, in this he was just playing like the didn't have anything for him to do

>sounds like Doctor Strange but more convoluted
it's Doctor Strange but good instead of meh

>strong villain
>nice visuals
>belieavable relationships
actually now that I think of it Doctor Strange had none of those things, only maybe hints of what could have been

>caring what youtube reviewers think

>strong villain
>nice visuals
>belieavable relationships

but it was better than Civil War because of this

idk why, but they mention that he was the only one that actually had ''celestial'' DNA or whatever

are they saying humans are better than other species??

If you want to sit in complete silence don't go to a theater aspie. You sound like you're exaggerating anyway. You must live in a shitty place. But it sounds like you'd get mad at people simply laughing at a theater.

Also, Peter is such a dumbo that he only starts questioning Ego when the latter literally confesses he felt the need to kill his mom via brain tumor because he loved her so much.
He doesn't raise an eyebrow at the revelation that Ego had billions of offspring when he said before that he found Peter's mom, HIS ALLEGED FIRST LOVE SHORTLY after gaining sentience and a body.

i get this he doesn't know the other kids, but he found out the man in front of him kill his mother in the worse possible way imaginable, have you ever experienced a loved one die slowly from cancer, if it was me i would have used grenades and a nuclear device from orbit

Pros
>Strong themes of fatherhood throughout
>I personally found Drax hilarious
>Starlord and Gamora felt well written and not too quippy
>side plot with the ravagers was decent if you forgive some reddit-tier humour
>better music than first one

Cons
>Ego goes from could-be-interesting to generic-giant-face-wants-to-destroy-universe
>cringeworthy "eugenics is stoopid amirite!?" antagonists
>Rocket and Groot tiresome and too quippy
>overall extremely forgettable film

>I had high hopes but after Jeremy Jahns and Schmoesknows both said it sucks

Neither of those things happened though.

Good observation about increased repetition killing the payoffs user, I had this nagging feeling about something that didn't quite work but I couldn't place it. Have a (You) for your actual contribution

>Ego, an isolated alien organism resembling a planet, gains the ability to create a human avatar
>somehow knows humans are a thing
>with the fashion sense of a western male circa the early 80's

He never experimented with other forms of life?
He visited all those alien broads looking like CGI Kurt Russell?

Also:
>Guardians' ship gets rekt
>litterally ripped in half
>they make the hyperspace jump with the wreckage
>crash on forest planet
>at night, the Ravagers show up
>"How did you find us?"
>"We placed a tracer on your ship way back when."

Gee, weren't they lucky the tracer remained functional and wasn't in the ship's half that's now floating around in a completely different part of space.

your going to make me hate this movie arent you

Watch it for Kurt and Rooker. They're great.

I disagree with
>better music than first one
>overall extremely forgettable film
and I found ego to be as good as it could in a MCU movie

Only humans had dna that was compatible enough with a Celestial's to host his power, you might think it's stupid but it's an explanation

More like Peter was being mind-controlled by being overwhelmed with his mind's expansion (starry eyes) so that he viewed everything through Ego's philosophy until his self reaffirmed when he got that Ego killed his mother, which was too much and made him snap out of it

>More like Peter was being mind-controlled

Alright, fine. I wasn't sure that he was truly mind controlled or actually on-board with all of Ego's claptrap, because he seemed quite taken in from the start.

he wanted a father, his father but he "sniff" "sniff" already had a dad "sniff'

i will that scene hit me like a tonne of bricks

Problem is, they killed that through repetition for me, too.

>I don't control the arrow through my mind, but my heaaaar-
>He wasn't you real daddy, son!
>Curious, isn't it? You're looking for something all your life, and you realize it's been beside you all this time.

i know but yondu kicked ass

Have a laugh in the theatre, stuff is usually funnier in a crowded room. But having your phone out and showing the person next to you the thing you saw on facebook while in a theatre is just fucking retarded.

Sadly, none of what I said was exaggerated. I'm an ausfag btw

what are Sly and Sharon Stone doing in my kino?

It's okay overall but the quips are just out of control, which makes the brief emotional moments lose a lot of their impact.
Otherwise it's visually nice, the soundtrack is good, the action is good and the story is acceptable, if not amazing.
Bonus: It stands on its own without requiring the other MCU movies.

i know that feeling, Australia is worse place to go to cinema. i always see films during school hours or a couple of weeks after its released

Oh look. A Disney product reskinned as Marvel. How appropriate.

>Lol, cant wait to see the epic fail of this 10 years project
It already brought in 11 billion dollars for 14 movies. It's one of the biggest success in the history of cinema. Keep crying DCuck.

Vomiting expospeak on Ravager burial rites in their first scene, then fucking off for a good portion of the film to reappear for the last 5 minutes, of which like 1min is screentime for them.

This.

Aussies are insufferable cinema goers just like Yanks they are always bored on their phone talking sleeping banging chairs and shit

Best experience I had this year was seeing LIFE at 4 on opening day. The theatre was empty.

Tower of Terror was from The Twilight Zone and the license has run out.

You're not making it any better.

I feel kinda indifferent to it. It's a lot more deattached from the rest of the MCU, the first one had Thanos and the inifinity stone, this one feels alot more standalone.

There's some fun moments with Drax and Rocket, and baby groot is cute, but it still felt kinda meh. A bit disjointed. Kurt Russell as the bad guy is stupid.

there use to be a kick ass cinema in perth wa called Piccadilly, perthfags know what im talking about.
they use to show Asian movies after a certain time, but every other time they showed cheap movies that had been showing few weeks at the hoyts and greater unions. the place was old and smelled funny but it was mostly empty but 6 dollar movies with only me and my two mates was awesome. saw my first jackie chan film at that place. i think it was amour of god

>Starlord and Gamora felt well written and not too quippy
The problem is that they just come off as stuck up and wooden by comparison with everyone else being written as fucking inept clowns.

The structure/pacing is pretty lousy, but if you can get past that you might like it more than the first. If you can't get past it, you will only like it if you loved the first.

About the soundtrack. It's obvious the songs in the two movies are lyrically tied to what's happening on the screen. So I really hated that they actually subtitled the most 'important' lyrics. Felt like force feeding.

>the squid monster's hide from the opening is impenetrable
>Drax jumps down its throat to slice its insides apart
>Peter points out that it's nonsensical, because the skin is as thick from within as it is without
>Gamora spots a wound at its neck
>slices it open from head to tentacles to free Drax

So... a few questions
>how did that wound get there?
>while Drax' statement IS nonsensical, his efforts aren't. Causing the beast internal bleedings should bring it down. (It doesn't, but what Star-Lord says is basically "armor is useless because it's durable from both sides", missing the point)
>why does the sword that literally didn't cut it a moment ago now tear the beast open like a zipper? Doesn't that invalidate Star-Lord's statement, hinting at structural inconsistencies from the inside of skin?

They didn't in my country. Except if you mean Kurt Russell repeating and explaining the lyrics while you can also hear them in the background.

You mean when Kurt Russell was reciting?

I don't know. I think the first one was really bad (as a movie) so I'm not gonna watch this one.

No. Here in Belgium, the subtitled the lyrics to The Chain and one other song, can't recall which one. Felt way too on-the-nose.

>He visited all those alien broads looking like CGI Kurt Russell?

That was just short hand so people would recognise it was him on the space screen. What I didn't understand was why fighting the CGI Kurt Russle had an effect on a seemingly all powerful planet.

Jesus.
Not Father and Son at the end, I hope?

>What I didn't understand was why fighting the CGI Kurt Russle had an effect on a seemingly all powerful planet.

Exactly. He could've just retracted this form and kept attacking in his natural state, as a force of nature. That's also why I didn't get why he was struggling with Peter, begging him to help him defuse the bomb, when he could've just dissolved the current body, popped up near his brain, and take care of the bomb from there.
For most of the fight, I thought he might be oblivious to the bomb, since the brain is the only thing in the human body that doesn't feel pain itself; I expected he'd never know what had hit him, because he teased at that when he mentioned that even though he killed his offspring, he always made sure they never felt a thing.

>they actually subtitled the most 'important' lyrics.

Fucking Christ. Seriously?