Ski Jumping in Holmenkollen

The competition starts at 14:20 CET, that is in five minutes. Kamil Stoch won the trial round and continues his dominating form. Gregor Schlierenzauer also jumped a sensational jump in the trial and came second.

Thoughts, predictions? Who'll finish 2/3 behind Kamil? I'd say it's Johansson for second, Stjernen/Forfang/Ryoyu/Kraft/Schlieri fighting for third along with Wellinger.

Attached: kamil sochi.jpg (850x592, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5QHLjfE_dh4
youtube.com/watch?v=bmwCXYmULh8
youtube.com/watch?v=LJx7yegeUL8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Trial round results, quite odd top10.

Attached: Näyttökuva 2018-03-11 kello 15.16.50.png (1160x1164, 333K)

First for Mustache man

Never heard about Granerud to be honest

Granerud was already in top10 once this year I think, in Engelberg

i like Schuler's style, reminds me of Romoeren

Schliri nice

LEAROYD WTF

I just gotta love Learoyd, the man's gonna be champion one day

so this is the power of Czech ski jumping

I feel sorry for you man, no Bauer any more in skiing and even your ski jumping has come down for its glory days

Sato just can't get those competition jumps hit the threshold - that technique is so aggressive and he's so late all the time, it's a wonder he jumped even that far...

Strange by Lindvik - the jump looked pretty solid to me, now crazy at the take-off but not bad by any means. Yet, only 121m. The power of Holmenkollen and its crazy winds.

Again solid by Wolny! Can't wait to see if he can get those sweet top10 places next season, getting more soliud all the time. I just hope he won't fall into the Kubacki trap of jumping too high.

Schlieri's got his confidence back - with the jump he had in the trial, he was expecting way more today. I hope he can get into the second round so we can see his redemption (hopefully). The man's gonna be a contender again next season.

>wind changing from +1,3 m/s to -0,3m/s

if Kasai wasn't such a good flier he would land somewhere around 100-110m

Damn Ryoyu, always looks so passive and flegmatic in the air and still makes for those beautiful, long jumps. Hayböck 2.0, except for the different type of take off style

Amazing by Bartol!

Wolny's effort seems better and better with every next jump not being able to be in top3

Of course, after I made that post 2 long jumps lul

One of these is not like another

Attached: 1518878826038.jpg (712x533, 86K)

It always seems to be the case here in Holmenkollen, no way to really predict who's gonna jump well and who's not and what is the general level of jumps going to be. The winds are just crazy even though the huge nets were supposed to fix that....

Gotta say the old Holmenkollen was better desu, even though it often ruined competitions (Adam 2007 comes to mind, lol)

nice and fair RAW air

So. What happen to the prevc brothers?

This is Norway now

Attached: 1519994863288.jpg (1199x672, 140K)

Damn Dawid, blew it a bit. Not bad though

translation please?

What did he fix in his style that he's better now? He's still doing high jump yet lands further

Well the event is in Norway yet most of crowd is Polish, just poking fun

Can an amateur like me ever be allowed to jump from large hill?
How would I prepare for it?

It's a city

Watch Eddie the eagle movie

Lol, everybody choking. I hate the modern Kollen.

You start on hill for smaller lads and move up

there are amateurs jumping on large hills in FIS Cup so it's not that impossible if you abandoned work and put all the time in ski jumping I think

Attached: 1506595915523.jpg (500x500, 138K)

>Kraft
hah nice

definitely one of my goals in the future

I think it's his position in the inrun: compared to earlier years, he's not quite as far back and his ass isn't as low as it was. He can thus go a bit more forward and his upper body is in way better position during the first phase of the flight.

Excellent by Kraft! That was reminiscent of last year, really clean technique.

Andi really lucky with the wind, pretty clutch jump compared to the trial though.

why does thread belong in /mandrama with two or three threads about skateboarding and bouldering/? It sure as hell is not an alternative sport, it's one of the more popular sports in several countries

Stoch. Wew.

What a jump!

how does he do it?

relevant

Attached: 1506146530319.jpg (750x562, 51K)

KAMIL KAMIL KAMIL KAMIL KAMIL

Who can stop this man? Easily the worst speed of all every single time, and every single time he's 3m better than the second best. Just unbelievable - the first time in Kamil's career he's in this automatic mode and not constantly being late in the take off.

STOCH STOCH STOCH STOCH

>worst speed
Malysz also always had the worst speed, I wish this meme with speed would end, it's not as RELEVANT as people make it to be.

>that polish commentary

god would this mountain nigger fuck off finally?

Attached: alexy.jpg (200x260, 38K)

based Stoch

youtube.com/watch?v=5QHLjfE_dh4

>Ireland
>ski jumping
sure as hell didn't know this

>Ice hockey
>More popular in Germany than biathlon and ski jumping
What?

>Ireland
>ski jumping

Poland strong

that's skiing coluur, witch include biathlon

Those maps are always bullshit

Ok, mixed up the two blue tones then.

>France
>Curling
Nice meme. Alpine skiing and biathlon are much more popular. France didn't even compete in curling at the Olympics.

it's most hours watched. Curling has by far the most hours so in the countries where no one cares about winter olympics it's gonna show up as most hours viewed.

His speed wasn't as low as Kamil's always is. While it doesn't work quite the same way between jumpers, it's a good approximation that holding other things equal, a difference in 1m/s in speed works for around 10m in jumps.

youtube.com/watch?v=bmwCXYmULh8

Here, for example, Adam's speed was 92,6m/s, while Hautamäki's was 92,9m/s - and keep in mind that Matti was always very fast at the takeoff. Now, compare Kamil with, say, Johansson, Tande, Wellinger etc. The only guy with close to same speeds is Kraft.

Back in the manly days you had to build speed yourself
youtube.com/watch?v=LJx7yegeUL8

true
How does one attain better inrun speed anyway?

Wew fredag

Kek

Kubacki needs to stop praying before every jump.

Good form at the in-run, good equipment, high weight bribes to Walter Hofer.

>it's one of the more popular sports in several countries
poland, norway, austria, germany, maybe finland.
wew

He'd be ded if he didn't right now

Nooo Dawid ;__; Mediocre jump and bad wind, fucking Holmenkollen

It's down to the jumper's weight, how aerodynamic the position is, how well you can balance your weight in the inrun etc. The thing is, with Kamil's technique, he has traded better speed for his optimal take off position, as he can jump in the best angle and be in the best angle in the flight phase with his inrun technique - which also regrettably makes the speed worse. He can't really do anything about it.

Conditions went to shit

He'd be over 130m right now if he didn't
ftfy
praying drains your energy, ever noticed how religious people are mostly sick & weak?

shame Stjernen had such a horrible wind but he got as much as he could out of it

>Nervous literal who 17 years old from France
he's gonna crash and die

These youngsters nowadays, can't channel their inner clutch like Toni Nieminen or Schlieri

Not everyone is designed to be great.

A-at least our team is good

Makes sense

>it's a Tande jumps well in the second round after a mediocre first round and gets podium Episode

Princess Ingrid Alexandra spotted!

Did she get fat?

This is every episode

>stochwinslol

C L O S E
L
O
S
E

WEW

Don't think so. She's really cute tho

Wew lads!

>tailwind
what a shame

Fuck the wind

IMPOSSIBLE

I fucking hate Holmenkollen. This is Adam in 2007 -level.

Didn't see that one coming, Tande.
Shame about Kamil's conditions.

wait what

Anyone else noticed how high he was after take off?

RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE fucking wind.

That was something

He landed on the fucking green line yet he is 6??? This is bullshit, how do they even calculate this

>windluck

It seemed to me like it was a great jump in the first phase, identical to his earlier jumps, but you could see how there was tailwind around the 100 meter mark. The skis caught the tailwind, Kamil had to adjust and the jump went down like a stone. How on earth they could let Kamil (and many others) jump in these conditions is just unbelievable.

But hey, it's ski jumping, this happens. Just always angry when this ruins a great jumper's greatest jumping form ever.

Any idea why stoch is always so prone to affected by bad wind? Same happened in zakopane desu

This sport is slowing dying. Compare the crowds with the crowds from the 1950s :(

Attached: 150_000_TILSKUERE__Over_150_000_tilskuere_tok_turen_til_Holmenko.jpg (1024x576, 132K)

Maybe people would rather watch it at home?
You coudn't do it back then

Most Norwegians just come to watch the cross-country skiing then go home. It's pretty sad. It would probably have less than half the attendance without the Polish fans.

The women's ski jumping earlier today was hyped for weeks as one of the only large hill competitions this season, and Lundby was the clear favourite (she won by over 30 points). Most Poles don't care about women's ski jumping, so the stands were almost empty.

I blame the immigrants

I haven't really thought about it, but I think you're right - definitely more than some other, more "traditional style jumpers" like Freund, Morgi, Tande, Malysz etc. Can't really say anything else.