Do you still buy Blu-rays or DVDs or is there no point anymore?

Do you still buy Blu-rays or DVDs or is there no point anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

blu-ray.com/movies/La-La-Land-4K-Blu-ray/170219/#Review
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bump

I still buy them. My internet is slow, so buying is really an only option sometimes. Plus, you get bonuses like behind the scenes and, at least for me, the picture and sound quality is is superior. That'll change though

for the most part i just download my movies but if there is a movie i really really like ill buy it on blu ray

only criterion, to be honest.

I still buy movies on vinyl.

this

Yes because I'm not a nigger who steals shit

CED is one of the worst video formats

I mainly buy DVDs because I save 5-10 bucks on each movie/TV show and I'm not autistic enough to care

I do now. I used to pirate movies a lot but after the fourth hdd failure I just said fuck it. I don't have the best internet connection so redownloading hundreds of gigabytes of shit gets old quickly.

Name the last 3 dvd/blu-rays you bought and other anons rate whether your a pleb or patrician.

i'll start
>Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters Part One
>Alien Anthology
>Prometheus

If I see a movie great on blu-ray I usually pick it up.
They look good played on a 4k telly

Road Warrior
The Evil Dead
TWBB

Pans Labyrinth
Fight Club
Bad Boy bubby

>Blu ray bitrate: 30-45Mbps
>VOD download bitrate: 4-5Mpbs

hmmm.....

I actually have a really huge Blu-ray collection. I like them a lot. I like not having a movie tied to an account.

Blu-rays and DVDs are still in demand but not as popular as they were with most people using the internet for movies. Not everybody has internet and not everybody has good internet and Blu-rays or DVDs make nice gifts.

Watchmen (Directors Cut)
Big Trouble in Little China
The Man with No Name Trilogy

Sometimes I get drunk and stoned and go to walmart and check the $5 DVD bins for shits and giggles. Got seasons 4,5,6 of Always Sunny for $5 each recently, and there is actually some pretty good kino in the discount bin if you like average movies from the late 80's/90's/2000's. It's all stuff I've already seen, but it's nice to add a movie or two to my physical collection every once in awhile.

Also, gorcery stores that have DVD bins are actually a great source. I've got a ton of classic Kung Fu movies for like $3 each just by quickly browsing the bins when I go food shopping.

>Oblivion
>What We Do in the Shadows
>Kubo and the Two Strings

I will only but them if it's during their 50% off sale or if I can snag a cheap blu off ebay.

May have to pay full price for that Stalker blu ray though.

At this point its really more about buying shit to show off your taste, it's ego masturbation. Instead I satisfy this by having a folder of "Essentials" and save ton of money.

They're not nice objects to begin with, like vinyl records, bds and comic books, so I reason that it makes no sense to buy them physically if they're not more enjoyed than digital files.

The only valid reason remains as a support/political vote, which I still do sometimes.

My Safeway just recently were giving away all the dvds they had because they needed to make room and because no one was buying them. There weren't any i wanted but i saw one old lady grab 5 of them without even looking at what they were.

I do, I love collecting movies.
You won't have to pay full price for Stalker. It releases in July during the B&N 50% sale.

> Blade Runner Blu Ray (final cut special edition with all the bonus stuff)
> Starship Troopers on DVD
> Mad Max 4 movie collection on Blu Ray

I buy HDDs.

Heat (new 4K remaster)
Ali (2001) Commemorative Edition
Miami Vice (complete TV series)

>El Topo
>The Holy Mountain
>La La Land

>Alfred Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection
>Only God Forgives
>Apocalypse Now

>You won't have to pay full price for Stalker. It releases in July during the B&N 50% sale.

Thanks just canceled my Amazon pre-order, shit might have to pick up Rossellini's war trilogy and a couple others as well.

Sure. I'm a midway millennial (born in 1992) so I grew up with physical media and see no reason to abandon it completely. It's nice to have shit in a form that can't be lost to some kind of computer glitch.

I used to work in a grocery store and would have first access to the DVD bins. VERY odd selections of movies. One time they sent a bin with like 10 copies of the movie Blow.

> Miami vice (full tv series)

why do you buy tv on disk? It's always so shit.
> have to change disk every couple episodes
> unskippable copyright warning in every language known to man at the end of each episode and when you first put disk in

Movies work well on a physical format, but TV shows on DVD is an exercise in frustration.

>There weren't any i wanted

Also that's the thing with bin hunting. There are quality movies, but since you've seen them, you think to yourself "I've already seen it, fuck it" But if you want to build a physical collection quick, it's the best. Personally I love when I pick up a movie I haven't seen in years and even if it's average it's still better than most of what is put out in the mainstream today.

Zulawski and Cassavetes respective Collections
Happiness
Taste of Cherry

90's born queer shut the fuck up

I don't buy much physical media (I download most everything I'm interested int) but I like Michael Mann and want to support his movies and TV shows being released on BD. I hope they do Crime Story and Robbery Homicide Division next, the latter which I regard as his best tv show.

Make me nigger

There hasn't been a point to physical media for a decade.

Goodfellas (for being a "25th anniversary edition" I'm very disappointed in the special features - commentary only)
Glengarry Glen Ross
No Country for Old Men

unless you're fucking retarded, you'll never lose data to a "computer glitch"

Not autistic actually you'te smart
True 4k can only be achieved on a 4k set but fuck paying for a 4k tv. You can purchase 4k blurays and show them on a 1080p screen which shows true 1080p. A new release 1080p bluray isn't true 1080p, it's a scam. Best to purchase dvds with a high quality 1080p upscaler player instead.

Sorry. Was referring to this user >82165279

any other anons have ocd and try to find slipcases without dents or scratches?

i am glad i stopped buying

Most Blu-ray releases come with a DVD and a digital copy.

Apocalypse Now
Alien
Prometheus

50/50
Dinosaur
Spider-man

Physical media is even more idiot proof. You would have to be even more retarded to let a fire start in your house.

Patrish
Patrish, but What We Do in the Shadows is overrated. I rewatched it recently and it's actually not that funny. Rhys Darby is the funniest guy in it. Oblivion is kino.
Pretty good. Almost patrician. I'm not sure about 50/50 but Spiderman and Dinosaur are essential early 2000s kino. Dinosaur was the first dvd my dad ever bought for us. The Egg Travels :3

My most recent purchases:
>A Brighter Summer Day Criterion
>The Mummy (1999) 2017 re-release
>Jason Bourne

TRON
Jason and the Argonauts
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Heat
Dredd
The Matrix

>uncompressed audio and video
>literally no movie has ever gotten a 5 in both categories
>even modern digital movies

I have about 2 or 3 like that in my whole collection of 50 plus

tb completely h I bought Dinosaur because nostalgia and thought I would be pleasantly surprised at how good it was but I found it dull and uninteresting for the most part. 50/50 is ok.

>Dinosaur
That movie was cool as shit. I was 3 when it came out and i even remember the McDonald's rubber hand puppets.

I have a big DVD library and after that I just went on digital and didn't bother going back.

Is physical media even worth it? Forget the audio/video quality for a second - what really got me was how sloppy and shitty they were getting with the DVDs. The unskippable ads were cancer. But even then you'd have ugly animated menus or fucking clip playing menus that took forever to load.

And then they stopped caring about extras and commentary tracks. Do they even do them anymore? Is it like 2 hours of shit talk about their personal lives now?

The value proposition just stopped being there. I wanted quick access to what I wanted to see, no fucking ads and quality extras. Physical media failed me.

Only for box sets and things I love. I won't keep downloaded movies on my computer for long and I never download shit I've already seen a lot, so having instant access is nice.

bump

The 25th Anniversary edition comes with a whole disc of special features. You probably bought the bargain bin version.

Watch Samsara you nigger

Only if it has some dank ass special features

It does? I bought it off Amazon and it is labeled 25th Anniversary, and "remastered from 4k scan." It's one disc, with audio commentary being the only special feature.

I actually rent them from this amazing indie store in LA that exists and has everything, including almost everything on blu-ray.

>Dead Alive
>House/Hausu
>Patton

What We Do in the Shadows is super comfy, enjoy watching.

ZOOM BACK CAMERA

Only God Forgives is trash, get that out of the way first. It's a total waste of time, even if it looks pretty.

I bought alien quadrilogy recently. I also plan on buying Inherent Vice, The Witch, and Whiplash some time soon, especially Inherent vice. I never really do it as much as I used to. Before Alien i havent bought a movie in years. But lately I just been wanting to own these movies, cause they were really good, and I plan on watching them often

>Only God Forgives is trash

Also plan on buying SpeedRacer, Ive been wanting to watch that so much recently

Does the quadrilogy come with theatrical and director's cuts? Might have to get it.

yes and 60 hours of extras

Holy Christ. Nice.

Maybe the one I got was a limited edition, the cover is DeNiro and Liottas heads and a random gun on the bottom. It came in a hardcover box with a book.

Fuck. Just looked it up. Musta been limited, I guess. Glad you scored it.

.... I'm still getting DVDs

Are blue rays worth it?

yes

If you care about quality, yeah.

When it came out in 2010 it was $100 now it's around $35

I really only buy movies where I want to watch all the special feature shit that torrentfags don't care about.

If it's a more well known movie, check out rips by a guy named Grym, also goes by vonricht. He puts a lot of effort into his releases. Everything pulled from Blu-rays at high bitrates, and he almost always includes special features. You can find his shit on public trackers.

you can dl full blurays, and HDDs are cheaper in the long run than buying blurays.

Is it really that better I can't see the difference?
What's so great about blue ray
I don't want to get a new television just to update my whole collection

>t. public tracker fag

If you don't have an HDTV you won't notice a difference. TVs are so rock bottom cheap now that I would think it'd be a worthwhile investment if you like movies, though.

>cant tell the difference between dvd and bluray
wtf, either you have a shit tv or your eyes are fucked

know what I really haven't done in a really long time is listen to the audio commentary. Used to listen to it a lot when I was in middle school, Feel like it was mainly horror movies like scream, freddy vs jason, and saw.

Ya I still have the big back tv but it's fucking huge not ashamed

>Freddy vs. Jason
My brother and I must have seen that bitch half a dozen times at the theater.
>DARK MEAT

if you dont have a hi-def tv then there is no point in getting blurays. If you plan on getting one in the future then you may want to start.

no... i don't rewatch 99% of the movies i see so it's just a waste of money and space. the few blu-rays i do have look awesome though.

Westworld
The Fake (2013)
King of Pigs

To Live or Die in L.A.(Shout Factory, still has slip)
Heat (4K remaster)
Alfred Hitchcock Classic Collection (Canada Only)

I'm in Canada, and our HMV's just closed down, so I got a lot of other titles for ~$4.00 on average. Most expensive thing I bought was Better Call Saul season 1 for $7

meant for

1 film out of the decade + of movies

also its a memeCGI film i can tell by the boxart

top kek at this shit which was film of the year and real actors and sets

4K and still not even a perfect score

blu-ray.com/movies/La-La-Land-4K-Blu-ray/170219/#Review

I got blu rays of Twilight Zone, Nightmare on Elm Street collection, John Wick, LOTR, Alien quadrilogy and the simpsons season 1-17 on DVD.

I used to have a bigger collection of DVD's until I moved away and my mom gave them to poor cousins. Plan on getting more 80's horror shit on blu ray because holy fuck Alien and Freddy looked amazing in HD quality on a big screen TV.

how does it feel knowing all those are now streamable and dont require you to change fucking discs because they put oly 3-4 episodes on each even tho they could fit an entire season on 1 disc without all the bullshit menus and extras an other shit

Lots of people rip and encode their own media. Much higher bitrate than streaming, uncompressed audio, special features, all easily available pushed from PC to whatever you want to use as a media center. Don't begrudge people who enjoy quality and want to own their media, just because you yourself don't care about it.

Considering that I enjoy having commentaries on as background noise, the special features that you can't find on youtube, and the shit ISP that I have does not provide fibre op internet for HD streaming, it feels fucking good.

doesnt change the fact each fucking disc only held 3-4 episodes and you had to go thru a million of them

>insert disc
>hit "play all" button
>sometimes hit "play all with commentary"

It's retard proof.

That's a 30 second inconvenience at most, though it IS an inconvenience. I am and will always be 100% digital whether it's movies, TV, video games, or music. I don't like not owning my media, and too often the content rotates in and out, with the consumer left with no guarantee of quality or future proofing.

>play all
>2-3 episodes of a 20 episode season
>each sleeve has those shitty flippy tray CD holders