ITT: Your dream projects

>The Book of the New Sun Trilogy
By Peter Jackson

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Blade_(series)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druuna
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hey, it's not just a dream. I'm sure some day we'll get a really cool documentary about how some faggot director never got to splurge his Wolfememeing ravings across the screen.

By Vernor Vinge
Residing in Zack Snyder's body

BoTNS wouldn't make a very good film series

There Are Doors, Devil in the Forest, Latro in the Mist and The Wizard Knight however would make great films.

>BoTNS wouldn't make a very good film series
This

I'm sure they will try one day but it will be shit

>hurr durr le unfilmable subtext
The surface story is entertaining as fuck to begin with. Fuck off.

do i need to be smart to read these books

i tried reading the first one a while back on a plane and i liked it well enough but it went over my head and i never tried picking it back up again

but what i do know about the series is very appealing to me

Severian wouldn't translate to film well, he'd just appear like this emotionless emo who slaps everyone's shit and non-chalantly becomes an Autarch (which no one would understand because they don't know what an Autarch is: 'hurr if he's the emperor then why is he still a lone agent??'). Plus the setting of BoTNS is generally too weird even normal sci-fi fans. Normies would shit on it as well because of how weird Severian's relationships are (thinking of Dorcas especially here)

It'd be a commercial failure.

Devil in the Forest would make a fucking awesome film

>fantasy """""literature"""""
Fucking kill yourselves

Could anyone explain to me the appeal of this series? I got half way through the first volume awhile back and lost interest. It wasn't bad or anything, and I liked the atmosphere, but I don't understand why it's considered one of the greatest sci-fi/fantasy novels ever. It's entirely possible that there's something I'm missing.

You need to be smart enough to not give up on anything remotely difficult.
Pseudy-poos

This sounds like a cheap answer, but you do really have to read the whole thing just to begin to learn appreciating it.

>tfw too smart to read genreshit

It's just a Sci-fi/Fantasy book written with the care of someone wishing to produce literature. It uses a lot of sub-text and subtle world-building to reflect on Catholic philosophy, along with side-stories converging into the main story through time travel in the main plot.

Imo, the Coda book 'Urth of the New Sun' essentially addresses any doubts you have about the Book of the New Sun, it's more literal yet still highly entertaining. In fact I think that'd make a good film in its own right.

Daily reminder that Bloom loves genreshit

>The Faggot: The Milo Yiannopoulous Story

Not surprising considering that Bloom is a hack

i know probably no one here even read this shit but this would make god like trilogy

james cameron as dir

leonardo di caprio
eva green
tom hardy

This movie needs to happen before pic related dies, he's a perfect fit.

t. renowned feminist critic

A Magic:the Gathering TV series, with each season focusing on a new block or connected series of blocks.

Some though. He likes Ursula Le Guin, John Crowley, The Gormenghast Trilogy and The Hobbit (but not Lord of the Rings), and one Thomas M. Disch novel. He also liked A Voyage to Arcturus so much he wrote a fanfiction sequel to it. I think that's it though.

>writes a book about the western canon
>mostly books written in english

yeah, fuck off, should be called "my personal canon".

Dhalgren too, and Blood Meridian and Gravity's Rainbow (which some class as sci-fi). IIRC he didn't so much dislike LotR as think it was worse than the Hobbit, but that might be wrong.
butthurt desu

Not his fault English is the objectively superior literary language ;)

>Not his fault English is the objectively superior literary language ;)

t. monolingual

>Dhalgren

When did he say anything about Dhalgren? Google brings me nothing.

Seriously though English is an amazing language for literature. Well, with early-modern flexibility, anyway.

He's got plenty of non-Anglo shit besides.
I dunno. I read it somewhere (I think the wikipedia article) and then couldn't find it again later. But I did read it somewhere. It was something like "Bloom said it was a riotous piece worthy of Joyce" or some such shit.

Perhaps it's in an old version of the wikipedia article? I can't be arsed to look for that shit, personally.

This looks close enough to dark tower. ...

That leaked trailer tho.

>Paolo Sorrentino's Legend of the Galactic Heroes

>I dunno. I read it somewhere (I think the wikipedia article) and then couldn't find it again later. But I did read it somewhere. It was something like "Bloom said it was a riotous piece worthy of Joyce" or some such shit.

There is a critic comparing it to Joyce, but it's not Bloom. Either you came across the work of a vandal or you've just made this up and somehow convinced yourself it's what you read.

I hope not, that would embarrass me in front of my internet friends (You).

Not him, but I'm not your friend and never will be.

Too late.

>Starring Idris Elba as Milo

It would make an awful film, the entire point of the book is understanding what's going on through the fog of the unreliable protagonist and the arcane language, neither would work on screen.

Actually I've changed my mind, seeing the outrage when he monologues about how torture is the fairest form of punishment would be amazing.

>not Book of the Long Sun
I bet you don't even want Silk for Calde
Not knowing how correct/truthful Severian is being is a big part of the experience, user. Filtering out everything but a shallow adventure would be pretty shit.
The whole repurposed-archaic-word shtick calms down a lot after the first book, if that's what you mean.
As other user said, finish it, then read Long Sun. I liked BotNS, but I liked BotLS a lot more. Haven't finished Short Sun.

Thanks for digestposting at me. I have withheld my true reply thanks to the choice you've made.

I read 1.5 of these books and they weren't very good at all. It just feels like it's meandering around with no real purpose with wooden characters. I don't know why you guys like them so much

that's nice user

>It just feels like it's meandering around with no real purpose

This is objectively wrong. Finish the damn series.

I'd like to see a Revelation Space miniseries

I don't like the writing style. I've heard you guys say he's an unreliable narrator but I can't see some kind of pay off coming from that. It's not like it's Lolita or something.

I would tell you to finish the series and figure it out for yourself, because the explanation requires heavy spoilers, but you seem to have it set that you will never like it, so I'll stop now.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Blade_(series)

This as a TV show, hour long eps. Different random alternate dimension every week (like Sliders, but he returns home after every "mission"). It is like James Bond, Ray Meers, and McGyver had a love child with a group of Spartans (not in a gay way). Blade is a womanizer(sorta) and fucks all the chicks, wins all the fights, saves all the planets, and can make technology from almost nothing. He always arrives in a new dimension butt naked (not gay I swear) like a terminator time jump. Alternative worlds can have humans, aliens, different time eras of Earth, jungles, wastelands, etc.

There's pretty much no fucking way something like this could be made and be faithful to the books in this current political climate.

The up side is that you can pretty much make up any alt dimension you want and it will fit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Druuna

Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri's "Druuna"

It'd need to be a massive tv series on HBO or Netflix. Lots of violence, sex, sci-fi, David Cronenberg-type stuff, dreamscape, really long plotline.

Which series was the Africans in space series with the elephants? I can never remember which titles go with what anymore.

Blue Remembered Earth, etc. Haven't read it yet.

Christ there was so much stuff I read back to back that it all swirls together. I read like 80 books in a single summer when the electric was out for an entire month. I think the last one of his stuff I was reading I finally stopped because I couldn't get into it in later books. The one with the machines that kept destroying sentient life in the universe because of the galaxy collision later on.

>Director: David Lynch
>Soundtrack: Sunn O)))

Don't agree with your taking the Lord's title in vain but otherwise yes.

>The one with the machines that kept destroying sentient life in the universe because of the galaxy collision later on.
That's the Revelation Space series. I liked it, but my favorite book he's written is probably House of Suns.

My brother's name is "Christos" so I get a pass. We always call him Christ. You should see some butthurt bible thumpers when they hear us talk and think we are making shit up. "Livid" is a word I'd use to describe them.

That was the last one I read. With the altered clones. Kind of an odd ending though. I think Revelation Space is better, it just wore me down or I wasn't in a good mood at the time. I don't recommend Blue Remembered Earth, it is way too forced and "proud" somehow and I even finished the entire series. All the stuff with the elephants is cringe.