What ARE Laotian people? Is it true they are mostly "hillbilly Thai," Hmongs, and other forest tribes...

What ARE Laotian people? Is it true they are mostly "hillbilly Thai," Hmongs, and other forest tribes, or are they something else? People say that Thai speakers can understand Lao, but consider it an archaic, "backwards" dialect.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=s3cbKKf37Mg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

youtube.com/watch?v=s3cbKKf37Mg

There are three major kinds of hillbilly Thais: the Shan, the Khon, and the Lao. Only the latter has a country

Seems like you might know a bit about the region.

Can you tell me what the difference between Cambodia, Thailand, and Laos is?

Beat me to it

Cambodians are sort of like the Romance people of SE Asia - they used to have a great empire before the barbaric Thai and Laotian destroyed it (making them the Germanics of SE Asia).

>ywn a Laosian gf

Why even live?

Cambodians are an ancient people. They're Austroasiatic, meaning that they're the second wave of people who spread across Southeast Asia, after the Negritos (including the Orang Asli, who today speak Austroasiatic).

Cambodians set up the first kingdoms in the region (Funan), and the first large empire (Khmer Empire, capital at Angkor).

Thais and Laos came later, going south from China. Both are Tai people, who have their urheimat in Yunnan. They took over central Thailand from the Mon and subjugated the Khmer (Cambodians). Siam became an empire but it was beaten up by Anglos and Frenchies so they got reduced to the Kingdom of Thailand.

Today the Mon are tiny because their ancestral homeland (South Burma and Thailand) have all been taken over by Burmese and Thais.

Do they have regional rivalries? Like Japan/Korea, Pakistan/India, etc?

Not sure

Vietnam-Cambodia have rivalries
for contemporary reasons like the invasion in the 70s and for ancient reasons like Vietnamese expansion from southern China into traditional Cambodian/Cham lands
even Saigon comes from a Khmer word for "forest city" and the original Khmer name was "Royal City" because it was a major centre of their empire at the mouth of the Mekong

the story of SEA is that of Chinese barbarians migrating south and usurping the old Hindu Melanesian empires.
Thai were Chinese hillbillies from the mountains and Viets were southern river people both conquering the south

Burmese and Thais apparently don't much care for each other.

>Hindu Melanesian empires
Wrong, the Hindu empires were ruled by Austronesians who descend from Taiwanese aborigines. Melanesians were the original settlers of the islands but either assimilated into Austroasiatics (in the case of the Aslians) or the Austronesians.

>Austronesians
>Melanesians
whatever lol
they all eat spiders and live in mud holes now

Now I know why you look so better than us
And why we look so similar to Cambodians
>tfw being the bastion of Austronesians with Malaysia

You are all 100% not white

>smelly Western barbarian pigmen
I am Celestial son of Heaven

dammit I was going to post this

>they all eat spiders and live in mud holes now
They actually get plenty of gibs though.
The govt pays them to send their kids to school, free housing,land, technical support and such enabling them to have fertility rate 3-4x other race. Those who feel like working either join forest rangers or become jungle tour guide and get paid quite well.
Problem is they don't give a shit about money or know about business so they sell their produce at way below market value or scammed by chinese traders all the time.

You’re not white, Lafaoguyen.

Not everyone want to be white
Western time is near end