Guardians of the galaxy 2

What does Sup Forums think of this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWkVqum6a8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Thread approved, posting enabled.

Shill threads

I just got back from it.

Better than the first, I can see why some people didn't like it but I had a good time with it.

A lot darker than the first, especially in the third act. It balances it out with humor and does so pretty well, but I couldn't help but notice how much they made death mean something (aside from scenes with the blob of course)

It's much more of a character piece, by which I mean they seperate the ensemble to focus on building them up so they work better as a whole. It's unconventional, and lord knows the MCU needs a shot of that about now.

They finally solved their problem with color, and boy do they fucking know it. Everything in this movie is drenched in an electric rainbow color scheme, which I personally really enjoyed.

Humor doesn't land 100% of the time, the opening Mr. Blue Sky sequence and Mantis/Drax dragged on a little while.

Of the 5 end credit sequences about two or three are worth watching. Last one is just an extension of Stan Lee's cameo in this.

so a 7/10?
that's good enough.

Mantis > Hela

That's about right. I sincerely enjoyed it but since it strays from formula critics are gonna give it a ravaging (pardon the pun)

Also the Sovereign (led by Elizabeth "I wanna licki then sticki my dicki in" Debicki) were kinda shit villains. Don't really know anything about this character they're bringing into the MCU (it's in one of the end cred scenes worth watching) but from what I've read he sounds cool.

Hela is gonna be deathwaifu and you fucking know it.

if you are talking about Adam Warlock, he is the main antagonist to thanos in the infinity war, and i am happy as fuck that they decided to bring him into the MCU.

I liked it, not as good as the first imo.

A lot of similar thoughts to Except I didn't really like the 3rd act.

Thought the Groot/Rocket/Yondu stuff and dynamic were the best parts of the movie.

>watching a disney movie

bak2red

I liked the first one better. For some reason in this one, every character had the strange compulsion to make a sad monologue about their shitty past. I get that the director wanted to make enphasis on the character development, but it would have been better to show theese developments with actions than to interupt the movie because every character has to monologue. The first one handeled characte development waaaay better in my opinion.

The movie is not shitty, but it was brought down a lot by thi. A 6.5/10
The first one was like a 9/10

Yeeeep.

Heard he was pretty damn powerful, and seeing as Marvel has been dipping their toes into less and less physically possible stuff and more into the cosmic realm I'm confident in saying that it'll be pretty accurate to comics.

Some of the jokes were cringe and I felt some actors, mainly Starlord, were phoning it in sometimes. Not bad but I think this franchise is a one trick pony.

Let's go with 6/10, fun but forgettable

I was meh about the first, enjoyed it but thought it was cheesy and forced at times. I loved this movie, there were still a number of cheesy jokes but it was balanced with some genuinely good ones. It's also really visually nice, and paves it's own way rather than relying solely on a formula. Even just the intro with the fight in the background while groot dances was creative and exciting to watch. And it's so dark comparative to what we're used to from the MCU. Honestly after finishing it I was surprised to see that it was getting a bit of flack.

I did feel like there was some problem with how the seperate plot lines kind of dissolve into each other, I think this was because it was a much smaller scale movie than I was expecting. Overall really great though, I believe James Gunn now when he said Disney gave him basically all the creative freedom he wanted.

Pasting from another thread:

Wasn't impressed. Jokes about vomit (and seeing characters vomit while other characters literally point and laugh), shit, burps, etc. Some real bottom-of-the-barrel low-brow humour in there. Plot is lazy and predictable, the "twist" doesn't make any sense, and there's a whole bunch of attempted sentimentality forced into the last ten minutes for characters we don't even care about just so their death can have an impact - and even then it still does not.

Soundtrack was obviously decent, performances were fine. Effects were decent, and the opening titles were actually really fun. Also the dynamic between Drax and Mantis (the new chick with antennae) was enjoyable. Easily the best part of the film.

Would probably go a 5/10. Pretty average. For reference's sake, I gave the first one a 7/10.

Not great. The move was similar to Kong in a way that it tried to be both funny and serious, and the balance was bad. The film focused on drama between the group rather than the overarching plot which turned out to be very week. Pacing was weird due to the split up group, and celestials didn't feel important. It seemed like they tried to be more funny in this film and a lot of the jokes just weren't, such as Groot and Pac-man. Overall they added too much development in one film. And I think singling out one arc to develop would have been way better.

>I believe James Gunn now when he said Disney gave him basically all the creative freedom he wanted

That really showed in some parts. The "500 Jumps" face-warping, the crash zooms, Mantis getting hit in the head during that crazy hero shot (incredible joke btw), it really felt like what it was: a director with low-budget background and vision being given an unholy budget and told to go fucking nuts.

Does anyone knows the song name that is played during the first Yondu appearance?

I agree with literally everything you said except comparing it to Kong.
I actually thought Kong was solid 7/10 movie. Guardians 2 was maybe 5/10.

It's possible that I was more okay with Kong because it wasn't a sequel, so it could sort of play with itself a bit more without owing anything to a first instalment.

>an entire subplot decidated to where Peter got the batteries for his walkman from

Kong was pretty original for a blockbuster, it had some cheeky visuals tricks and they knew to keep it simple and fun. GotG2 feels more forced and it's way more derivative

I get the feeling that the part of Groot being turned into the Ravagers mascot was Gunn shitting on Disney

Drax/Mantis was kino

Wait... Is THAT why the batteries were so important apart from the mission?

Fuck, I feel like a retard

That is what annoyed me too, they didn't need to give all the main characters a half assed emotional arc

It was decent enough but the level of quips was frustrating

Good things: it didn't feel like a MCU movie, good visuals, about half of the humor is fine I guess

Bad things: shit plot, shit other half of the humor, shit third act, absolute shit climax

As some other user said, not impressed

>being outsmarted by disney

how's it feel son

>better than the first

what the fuck

first:
>a troubled boy runs out of the hospital and aliens abuct him, he grows up and becomes a thief who goes on a journey in a universe

this
>rocket steals some kind of battery which is never explained what it is, 90% of the time they are on one planet with 0 people on it fighting against god dad who wants to creat a blue mass on planets to control them. Also because of the batteries (which we still don't know what are they for) the gold people made an enemy to the guardians for the third part

>An entire planet he can fully control at his will
>Can't just crush some people fighting inside him or get a bomb off his brain

Exactly, focus on a couple of main characters and fully develop them, showing it with actions rather than a shit ton of dialog.

It was fun

>millennials whining about MCU

holy shit you dudes have no idea how good we have it right now. we're getting deep interconnected lore marvel shit, this year ragnarok and later thanos...yet growing up in the 90s and 00s when you get a Hollywood handing you standalone garbage where they ruin all your favorite characters.

For a movie sold as fun(tm) it was actually really dull tbqh

>which is never explained what it is

that's the joke dude. are you autism?

Better than the first. Lots of colour and much funnier. Too much forced emotion with blue girl ,Yondu monologued too much and the music wasn't as good. alot of needless filler as some parts went on far too long just to reach the same conclusion as if it had been shorter. The played the main theme too much instead of choosing to play something from the mix tape. The character interactions were the highlight of the film. And unlike nearly every other capeshit film, the characters are actually interesting. Given the low profile of the comic. It can even pass for a normal film, as hardly anyone has ever read the comic to sorry out about it.

>the plot to the third movie to kill the guardians is the directors joke

BRAVO MARVEL
R
A
V
O

Batteries are storage devices for energy. These were extremely valuable, so it can be assumed that they are rare, difficult to produce, store a huge amount of energy, or store a type of energy that is difficult to store otherwise, or all of the above.

Context is a marvelous thing when you have a brain that can work these things out.

I think I'm done with marvel after this, this movie was all over the place, a quip overkill and there wasn't any weight to any of the things that happened. They needed comedic relief and forced "cutesy" to cover up for everything in the flick that simply doesn't work, which was a lot. It felt like they were trying to literally trick the audience

If you think this was a good movie, you really need to watch more movies

>head cannon
Case in point

It's hardly head canon, it's just an obvious logical assumption that can be made about a macguffin. Or do you need to be spoon fed irrelevant details about everything that's referenced in the movie? It's a very valuable artifact, what else do you need to know? And why?

They can't even make Ego a proper prick. They had a chance to make it clear that gestating his children is fatal to their mothers, but he just doesn't give a shit. Instead, they make him kill the one woman he "loves" in a slow horrible way.

He should have "loved" them all.

>And why?
Because without a good explanation the entire thing is pointless and shit.

Was alright, but not as good as the first.

I thought GotG 1 was a funny action/adventure movie, but GotG 2 had weak action and atmosphere and relied upon the tone of a full comedy, whilst the jokes were actually weaker than the first.

So inferior to the first one in almost every way except for special effects. Classic fucking sequel shit.

As the manifestation of Sup Forums's general consensus I give it a 7.5/10

BRAVO
RRAVO
AAAVO
VVVVO
OOOOO

This has triggered me

Fucking ay

The entire point of movies is they have stories, characters, premises, settings etc in order to draw the viewer in to the spectacle and make them care for something they know isn't real.

Saying "oh it's just some mcguffin thing, what does it matter????" is basically admitting you're a lazy film maker who wants to treat the audience like a drooling lobotomised battery hen.

What about 1?

I un-ironically loved Groot in this.

How much of a shill does that make me?

I gave you several. There are many plausible explanations on offer and nothing hinges on which one it actually is. It's valuable, it's a macguffin. Do you need to know what's in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction, for example? No, the value of it is the only relevant fact about it. If there were no reasonable explanation for its value, then that would require an explanation, but that's not the case.

Pros:
>Bright colors everywhere. Fixed the usual complain to MCU films
>Better selection of songs in awesome mix volume 2
>Kind of grimdark compared to other MCU films
Cons:
>Quips on dramatic moment. Same thing with dr stange.
>More quips
>Only drax didn't have a fight aside from the 1st battle

>Better selection of songs in awesome mix volume 2

Really? It's still good, but I thought Vol. 2 was no way near as good as Vol. 1, and it definitely wasn't used as good as it was in the first

This,

> Yondu is in infinity war

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

who's your ayylmaofu?

True, they said they were valuable but I'm still fucking triggered so I will continue to argue.

Pulp Fiction was inherently a de- and reconstruction of various film and tv patterns into a new thing.
It was heavily, heavily referential to film in a way that GotG2 wasn't. It was an actual feature of the film that the briefcase contents were unknown, intended to provoke the audience into thinking about the implausibility of mcguffins in previous movies they've seen. It was appropriate for the context of the movie and it was done with earnest purpose.

For movies to keep copying that is either missing the point or dishonestly lazy.

You gave head cannon and made cringe while doing it. I said "good explanations"

Reddit the movie

you don't know what a battery does?

Thanos fucking up starlord with infinity stone. Mantis i

Yes to all of this.

Tazor face XD

I didn't buy the "gotg vol.1 is great xD" meme to begin with but even then I was let down by this.

Fucking christ you'd buy anything with marvel in the title huh sheep?

>first one was 9/10

Come on

t. DCuck who wishes so bad his movies were half as good

I still think you're ascribing to much significance to the batteries' function. The motivation of the Sovereign is only the batteries to begin with, even then, only partially. The batteries and Rocket's insult are only the motivation to chase them when they leave the planet. After that, destroying their ships, and being criminals in their eyes is the motivation. The batteries are really a minor thing, never mind their function.

And this isn't even getting into the irreverent tone of the film. You mention not knowing the contents of the Pulp Fiction briefcase is fine because it's appropriate for the context of the movie and yet demand an explanation from a movie that deliberately focuses on a dancing tree baby rather than intergalactic monster battle going on in the background. You don't think that being flippant about very significant an consequential things is an inherent part of the tone and humour of the film? And I don't put the batteries in that category, it's not even significant enough to derive humour from being dismissive of.

The Soverign were pretty much comedy jobbers throughout, especially considering the only threat they pose is played off as a joke (their army is just a bunch of people playing video games)

I understand why some people may mot like it. But I love a well writing script with good character arcs, and the first one did this perfectly. Like at least Gamorra and Star-lord had perfect arcs shown with actions. In Quill's case with taking Gamorra's hand and, more importantly, opening his mother's present. For Gamorra, just her slight dance movement at the end.
I love a well executed script, and the first one had it. The bad villain and some forced jokes and interactions brought it down to a 9 for me

you guys weren't kidding, the opening scene is baby groot is dancing for 10 minutes.

> it's a 2 - 3 minute gag that feels like it lasts for 10 minutes

Why spend the money on the CGI? With all the people working on it did no one think

> Wow, this gag goes on for way too long! Let's edit it down like a normal film!

>It balances it out with humor and does so pretty well

that is what people always say yet it never does, it actually destroys any tension a scene could have and reduces all characters to caricatures of themselfs.

>"dormammu I've come to bargain"
>"dance off bro"
>the whole airport fight in civil war

Bargaining with Dormammu was the best scene in any capeshit of 2016.

I think the dance of was well executed. It was a release from previous tension, and right after that there was the big climax of the movie. It didn't break the tension, it worked with it.

Favourite soundtrack song?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZuWkVqum6a8

I thought the soundtrack was pretty shit, I only really liked "Daddy's all right" but even then it just made me think of Scrubs.

Yondu ;_;

This. Who gives a shit about a battery? That's the instigating event for Adam warlock being born and the central conflict of the third movie? Some batteries that rocket stole as what appeared to be a throwaway joke? Like, there's no ideological differences at play, the gold lady is just mad about batteries.

Also the first films opening scene set up Quills character and grounded the tone, the opening scene here sets up nothing. We knew peters mom fucked a spaceman, there's no tension or intruige.

Also, how come nobody on any of these planets noticed a fucky-looking blue plant and dug it up?

Good film, not great

Not as good as the first

Disappointing by doing literally nothing for the greater MCU, unlike the first

Actually the fact it wasn't tied to the "greater MCU" was refreshing

That is a good idea. It's so weird that he killed peters mom, and even weirder that he chose that particular moment to admit it. Why tell Peter about it at all? Like, ever? Why squish his Walkman and start acting like a wanker? What's the point

Yea, they couldn't even set up 100 films at once this time.

I enjoyed the shit out of it, although I definitely understand the argument that it felt a little directionless. That said, I knew autists would try and meme it into being a 1/10 but the faggot in this thread arguing that we should have had a good chunk of the movie to explain in-depth the lore and technical specs of the Sovereign's batteries is a level above what I expected.

I realized instantly that they were going for a "Heroes arrive at a seemingly perfect place only for some/one of them to find out that something is not what it seems, and so the group is split, before everyone gets back together in the end."

It's the worst kind of story there is. It forces you to sit through an hour of predictable dialogue and boring scenes with people arguing.

Could never give this movie more than a 4/10

Just one scene with an avenger, even in the post-credits would have been cool though. I guess they don't want to take away from the big meeting coming in A3 (presumably) but still.

Also Yondu is a great character, but people were not given enough time to appreciate him and get to know the character, so his death and funeral did not have as much emotional impact as they were going for

different user but I'm assuming this particular film was never in the initial plan for P3, they just got Gunn to slap it together after the success of the first.
They didn't reference the greater MCU because it was never in their Phase 3 Outline.

it's METAPHORICAL!!!!

I wonder how Drax would react to his name.

the only thing i liked was the aliens design

By far the best scene was Yondu's escape.

Nobody gives a shit about batteries. That's the point. There's no clash of ideology between the guardians and the gold pricks,

It was great, most jokes hit, some where neither funny or terrible. The only obviously terrible one was the Tape gag that went on way too long, but even the Scotch Tape part of it made me chuckle.

It's hard to discuss a movie like this when it was so character driven as opposed to plot focused. Like what's there to talk about... The action? Jokes? There's nothing there to actually pick apart and analyse. Only memes and shitposting.

ARRGGHHHH MY NIPPLES

Pointless, hit or miss jokes (more miss than hits for me), bad resolution. 2 hours of bad entertainment and nothing more

5/10

There was far too much humour. I know its a Marvel and all but holy fuck it was like every other line was a joke. One of the worse Marvel films.

Deus Ex Machina the movie...

>all the redditors ITT thinking MCU-trash is "dark"

I wonder what would happen if reddit watched come and see, pretty village pretty flame or city of life and death

>Batista hits 10+ trees at G-Force speeds & lives

thanks for the opinion faggot

>Completely dark corridor with only the arrow's light iluminating the scene while it dances around
Wish there were more scenes like this, it had a pretty boring composition most of the time.

Groot needs to die.
The jokes were more hit than miss, and definitely too frequent either way.
It doesn't really feel like much of it amounted to anything.
I wish I had a bunch of Groot Funko Pops just to drive over them with a car.
The "apparently perfect place has a dark side" scenario is so tired.
Music choice wasn't especially inspired.
It looked ok and had some really nice designs, but for the most part the cinematography left much to be desired.
Groot goes in the organic waste container.

I'd give it a 5/10.