Why do most Nightmare on Elm Street sequels feel like parodies...

Why do most Nightmare on Elm Street sequels feel like parodies? Everything other than New Nightmare is literally a Benny Hill tier slapstick, was it intentional or were the creators just shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/tPOLtaosJcY?t=209
m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJnuP2_yb8
youtube.com/watch?v=sF6H6s6trb0
youtu.be/geLbe9QDfAA
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy's_Nightmares
m.youtube.com/watch?v=GsvvUKgq0ZY
youtube.com/watch?v=cJ7IK9cY4D0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It started with 3 but was definitely intentional.

I hate how everyone cites prime time bitch as the best Freddy quip. Overrated as fuck, this one is GOAT. It's such a shit line but Freddy delivers it with such enthusiasm and conviction that it's amazing.
youtu.be/tPOLtaosJcY?t=209

try to view them as more dark fantasy rather then horror

you sound like a plebe jimmy boy

This. It's why Dream Warriors is one of the best in the series.

I think Freddy vs Jason is supposed to be a parody/horror-comedy

They wanted to differentiate themselves from the other horror series. Friday the 13th and Halloween were fairly popular and both used silent lumbering stalking killers so they went the complete opposite and had a dark humor overly bombastic villain.

I was a complete virgin coming into horror movies.
I watched Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Friday the 13th, and Nightmare on Elm Street series one after the other. Halloween 1 > Texas 1 > Friday 1 > Nightmare 1 > Halloween 2
and so on. never had seen them before. I stopped at Halloween 10, Texas 5, Friday 5, and Nightmare 5.

Nightmare is SHIT. it is cashing in on whatever market was popular at the time. There is nothing to it, it could be ALIENS or CANNIBALS, but it's nightmares. that's not scary whatsoever, but they had to try to make it scary with a gimmick.

fuck every nightmare on elm street movie. friday the 13th, you're next up, fuck you for making me watch you

You're a fucking plebeian piece of shit. The only first time Elm Street tried to be scary was with the first two films. Back in the day, Freddy was a spooky character. You accuse it of "cashing in on whatever market was popular at the time" without any argument. The Freddy character is such a big figure in pop culture nowadays people (like yourself) tend to underestimate how original and brilliant of a concept Elm Street was. Whatever injuries the villain inflicts upon you in your dream is inflicted upon your body in the physical world. It's genius and you're a stupid fuck for not seeing it. Get back to Snapchatting and your Facebook you underage cocksucker.

It's bullshit Joss Whedon tier fanfic that would probably be okay as a comic book but as a movie it's just trash.

Not that guy, but first Elm Street was genuinely scary as shit. I remember watching it as a kid in the early 90s and being spooked for weeks. Everything after that was just garbage, kind of like when they turn Lovecraftian fiction into Cthulhu plushies and cringeworthy nerd boardgames, it loses all the scary effect it once had.

Freddy vs Jason is kino. What were you expecting from it? The build up is basically what it should be, a generic slasher, although they should've given Freddy one or two more kills. The actual fights between Freddy and Jason are literal perfection.

>Everything after that was just garbage,
No shit. The sequels are schlock, that goes without saying. All entertaining in their own right if you're into that sorta stuff. Elm Street 3 is schlock but also genuinely good.

Or this
m.youtube.com/watch?v=GeJnuP2_yb8

>literal perfection
>random negresses laughing at Freddy saying he has a small dick and generally exposing him as an incompetent blathering retard

The only thing I remember about the 3rd one was Trisha Arquette doing backflips. The most forgettable film ever made.

Freddy always had one liners and liked to fuck around to scare the kids, they just exaggerated it as the series went on. This happens to a lot of movies that have a lot of sequels, usually the director and most of the creative team changes and a lot of new people dont feel very motivated when they get to make a sequel no one really asked for. If youre directing a movie with a 4 or anything above that in the title it certainly tells you were you stand in your career.

There was literally nothing wrong with that scene. The nigger was catching onto the fact fear was Freddy's power and was trying to turn the tables on him. It's funny you bring this up because the climax of Elm Street 1 is hot garbage. Great movie, a classic but if you look beyond your nostalgia goggles the climax is pure fucking trash. That scene in FvJ was essentially parodying the first movie's climax and calling it out for the piece of garbage that it is. Then they smartly subvert the concept of that awful ending with Jason killing her.

>Trisha Arquette doing backflips
Pretty sure that was the climax of 4.
>The most forgettable film ever made.
You're in the minority. Everyone remembers John Saxon fighting the skeleton, the wizard master scene, the junkie kill and the puppet one which was genuinely disgusting and cringe inducing, especially for such a goofy movie.

these special effects also look better than a lot of stuff you see nowadays

You should watch New Nightmare.

>having niggers in a movie in the first place
And it was Kelly Rowlands or however the fuck you spell it on top of that. Just the typical late 90s / early 00s trash shit where you had to have a lot of fast action music and random rappers crammed into every scene.

Arquette wasn't in four and they didn't bring back any of the Dream Warrior's powers in four. Plus they all died right at the beginning.

This is a really interesting thread but what's with all of the cuss words and hostility?

>Just the typical late 90s / early 00s trash shit where you had to have a lot of fast action music and random rappers crammed into every scene.
Are you trying to imply FvJ had anything like that? Because aside from Kelly, it didn't.

Well regardless of who did the backflips it definitely wasn't her, since the backflips definitely weren't in 3.

The best part of that scene is when Freddy is invested in the videogame and the kids barge in and kick the fucking controller out of his hands. Robert Englund's "WOOAAH" is great, fun to see Freddy caught so offguard.

The idea of "nightmares" being able to kill people allowed for directors to go hogwild with ideas because they're dreams, after all.

But, yes, Freddy did become a tad too cartoonish.

The backflips were in three I swear to god. That was her power.
youtube.com/watch?v=sF6H6s6trb0

Go to 2:13.

Alright, I'll give you that. The girl in 4 definitely does backflips when she's fighting Freddy in the church so I completely forgot about this part.

I want new NOES movies so bad I'd even accept a new reboot or a continuation of their last reboot
But sadly since Wes is dead we'll never have a true NOES movie

youtu.be/geLbe9QDfAA

Nothing wrong with being outrageously surreal, many dreams are like that IRL. It just has to be actually scary instead of looking like a Looney Tunes episode.

I did the same, but only watched the originals.

Frankly Nightmare on Elm street 1 is good and holds up pretty well. Same with with Friday 13th. Texas is fucking great and even today is a legit great movie.

The only one which is shit and aged like milk is Halloween 1. Awful. And I like slow movies. And dont even bring the seinfield effect because the doesnt happen with texas.

Later sequels from every franchise became shit. Aliens is somehow not shit, but still shit from a horror pov.

If you liked Friday the 13th you should watch some of the sequels. It's the only one where the sequels are better.

>It just has to be actually scary instead of looking like a Looney Tunes episode.
>a horror movie has to be scary
I want Reddit to leave.

Weirdly enough Halloween 1 is considered Carpenter's best movie but it looks the most dated of them all, while Fog or even The Thing still hold up well.

>Horror (noun)
>painful and intense fear, dread, or dismay
>intense aversion or repugnance

Of topic but isnt there a disorder where nightmares have caused people to have heartattacks?

No idea, friend. There's no quacking need for it

I love the thing. Along Alien and Jacobs ladder my favorite horror movies.

Oh and I forgot to mention Hellraiser. Some really great ideas and enjoyable first 2 movies...but I wouldnt say neither of them are "good". Even the first one is heavily flawed. Works more as a concept rather than well, what we got.

Anyone remember the NOES tv show called Freddy's Nightmares?
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy's_Nightmares

The numales in this thread are starting to really piss me off. I cant believe you said F13 is a good movie. The whole point of F13 is that it, and the entire series is shit. Even fans who love the series, myself included, are aware the series is shit. The first movie has shit characters. The whole movie is just them talking about the most ridiculous shit and getting killed one by one. I love it because of the comfy 80s slasher atmosphere. That's literally the only way I can justify my love for it. The kills are good and hold up, but the movie is factually shit.

The closest F13 ever gets to being good is Part 4 and 6 but they were never my favorites because the camp setting is what made them so comfy.

A horror movie is a movie with horror elements. If a horror movie is bad for not being scary, then 99.9% of all horror movies are garbage. A horror movie has to be interesting or entertaining to be a good movie. Whether or not it's scary is irrelevant. Out of the thousands of horror movies I've seen, only about 5 have scared me. Realistically you'll only be scared by less than 10 horror films in your life. If it's anymore than that, you should kill yourself.

>Some really great ideas and enjoyable first 2 movies...but I wouldnt say neither of them are "good".
No Hellraiser 1 is GOAT and is a solid movie. If you're the same person who said F13 is a good movie get the fuck off this board. Hellraiser 2 is something you wouldn't be able to call a "good" movie but it's still an amazing watch. Enjoy watching 2 as much as 1.

Hellraiser 1 is good but they should've never made it into a series, also the Clive Barker BDSM fetish is over the top.

what is the deal with fake jodie foster in part 6. why did they do that

>99.9% of all horror movies are garbage
They are, though. There's very few horror movies that are actually good, vast majority of them are literal dogshit. It's the most shit tier genre of them all and you have to try really hard to make it look good.

99.9% of all movies are garbage mate. I was exaggerating the fact this poster is an autist for thinking a horror movie needs to be scary to be good.

The Dream Warriors story arc(3-5) is my personal favorite. Those are movies that introduced most of the Freddy mythology if you're into that sort of thing.

>It's the most shit tier genre of them all and you have to try really hard to make it look good.
On the contrary it is the most patrician genre of them all. Only the most talented directors are capable of making a good horror movie because it's so difficult.

>GREAT GRAPHICS

There isn't a single horror movie that isn't scary but is good.

Scream?

>le ebin movie references and jumpscares: the movie
It's shit.

Hellraiser, Elm Street, Halloween, Scream, Psycho, Peeping Tom, The Thing, first three Romero Dead movies, Pontypool, Slither, Triangle, Alien, Suspiria, Cannibal Holocaust, Shining, Omen, Alice Sweet Alice, Creepshow, Fright Night, Eyes Without a Face, You're Next, the list goes on and on.

So is your taste

Halloween definitely is scary, or better said used to be when it came out, before the industry ran the slasher genre into the ground. Also the indiscriminate violence against women spooked females for years to come, before it became a gay cliche copypasted into every slasher.

>he fell for the self aware movie meme
Just kys

You first

can we talk about how fucking shit 2 was?

They started shooting the day of the first films premiere and they couldnt contract Englund so they got a guy to double as Freddy.
Also i hate how Freddy has unlimited power. Its never established the extent of his power.
Also freddy is only in the movie for 12 minutes.

Not to me. I watched that as a kid. Point is no one will be scared by more than 10 horror movies in their lives, horror movies don't have to be scary to be quality.

You're a turbo pleb, your only saving grace is that you see right through Scream for the Reddit shit that it is.

>killed by the power of love

It's only really notable for being the weird gay one.

A horror movie HAS to be scary to be good. If it isn't scary, it always instead relies on cheap gimmicks like goofy comedy (Nightmare sequels, Waxworks), popculture nerd fanboyism (every crossover ever made), fast action sequences (Blade), tumblr social commentary (Babadook), Reddit tier irony (Cabin in the woods, Scream), etc.

>The only one which is shit and aged like milk is Halloween 1
You're retarded, although

>Weirdly enough Halloween 1 is considered Carpenter's
Nobody other than people who pick movies by name recognition ever said that.

Hellraiser ending is shit. The movie is a great watch but also heavily flawed. The last 20 movies of the are crap. Its not a good movie. Just a good concept and many good ideas in a mediocre movie.

>goat
>game of all time
Hi Sup Forums. Go where you belong and never return.

And Friday 13 is good enough. I didnt say great. I said good. The rest of sequels, 4 and 6 included, are shit.

Now fuck off to Sup Forums or reddit or where you got your garbage opinions from. Are you by any chance a woman? Usually women have shit taste on horror movies

A movie literally cannot be scary. You must be a massive pussy to think ANY movie is scary.

Great reply sodomite.

This is stupid. Horror movies are not scary once you get old enough. They can still be good, and not only in a cheesy way. But who the fuck gets scared by movies after 12 or so?

>goat
>game of all time

Thanks for proving how new you are for thinking GOAT has anything to do with Sup Forums.

>game of all time

bait?

GOAT is a Sup Forums meme and it existed years before Sup Forums was even a thing. I remember Michael Jordan being called the GOAT in the late 90s.

>Hellraiser ending is shit. The movie is a great watch but also heavily flawed. The last 20 movies of the are crap. Its not a good movie. Just a good concept and many good ideas in a mediocre movie.
You mean the last 5 minutes? Kirsty sending the Cenobites back by playing with the box is pretty weak and unexciting but the rest of the flick is pure gold. It's an excellent movie. Basically a twisted love story with the lore of the Cenobites as a backdrop, giving Hellbound plenty of room to expand on for a GOAT sequel. You're such a pleb.

>>goat
>>game of all time
>Hi Sup Forums. Go where you belong and never return.
Fresh off the boat from Reddit are we? Still new to Sup Forums lingo? It's greatest of all time. Lurk before you post you piece of shit. Your shit opinions already exposed you as a Redditor though.

>F13 Part 1 is a good movie but 4 and 6 are shit
No comment.

I didnt thats where it started. I said thats where you got it from redditor.

>bu-bu-but hellraiser and halloween are classics! Therefor they must be perfect!

why would you even think it stands for "game of all time"? that doesn't make sense.

Except you don't even know what the acronym means so please kindly fuck off.

nah you didnt know what it meant you newfag
you just got EXPOSED and BTFO (blown the film out)

>BTFO (blown the film out)

Ok, you get a sensible chuckle.

Kek. Still waiting on his response. He probably closed the tab in embarrassment.

Fuck you.

*tips*

Despite its flaws i kinda like 2. imo it has the scariest and most sinister depiction of Freddy

bump

Why do people like New Nightmare? The kid completely ruins it and there's so much of him in it. Fuck that kid, I want to fight him.

Freddy's Dead was pure uncut cokino

That was terrible. Everything went to shit after 4.

>not appreciating the schlock
Fag.

Dream Child had a few good parts but it was definitely the weakest in the Dream Warriors arc.

While I am totally on board with a Nightmare on Elm Street reboot, since advancements in both special effect technology and what we know about the science behind sleep/dreams/nightmares could actually help to improve upon the concept in this specific case, FUCK the Platinum Dunes remake.

What an utter waste of potential. Zero redeeming qualities, and boring as sin. You know your NOES movie has fucking problems when half your audience is falling asleep in a movie about a demon that kills you in your dreams.

A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 1/3/4>>>>>>>>EVERYTHING ELSE

FRIDAY THE 13TH 1/4/6>>>>>>>>EVERYTHING ELSE

!!!FACT!!!

Saw Nightmare 4 at the theater when I was 10. It was glorious and the first time I saw tits on the big screen; Hope Marie Carlton and Linnea Quigley!!!FACT!!!

No other horror franchise will ever achive the pure unfiltered K I N O that is this scene

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GsvvUKgq0ZY

ANOES:
1 > 3 > FvJ > 2 > new > 4 > 5 >>>> 6 >>>>>>>>>>>remake

F13
2 > 4 > 6 > remake > FvJ > 3 > 5 > 1 > hell > 7 > 8 > X

Of course I'm biased with my favorite F13 becaues I wore out the VHS during the scene when Teri comes out of the lake nude and you catch a glimpse of her landing strip.

Hween:
3 (fight me) > 1 > 4 > 2 > 6 > 5 > H2O > remake > Rez >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> remake 2

No, the best Busta scene is this:

youtube.com/watch?v=cJ7IK9cY4D0

He says "go to the garage" in 4 different ways one after another. It's great.

>scoot, saddadle, get the fuck outta here
>that fucking turn Myers does
My sides