Why no big budget Halo movie? The Flood is cool

Why no big budget Halo movie? The Flood is cool.

Other urls found in this thread:

gamezone.com/news/the-halo-movie-was-cancelled-due-to-greedy-corporate-moves-and-ambition-3450566
youtube.com/watch?v=JMYrKTU8Hmc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i honestly dont know
it would fit, Forward onto Dawn was pretty good
now would be the time to do it with the series on a downswing

Its seems way too big and way too much of clusterfuck to make any singular big movie out it. Maybe a mini-series, and most of the interesting shit out of Halo is in the expanded mythos.

Because Halo's story is really dumb

Also video game movies are universally shitty

Postal was fucking amazing

All videogame movies suck shit and flop in box office. It's almost like people love to play videogames, not watch them

It would need some decent writers to translate the universe to film. Knowing Hollywood, they'd make it some Doom-esque shootemup starring a faceless MC.

A much better idea imo would be to focus on the UNSC Marines, or ODSTs with Spartan-IIs being mythological figures that appear out of nowhere and save their asses, only to disappear again. Keeping the focus on the humans. After all the S-IIs are all autistic fucks that don't talk anyway so there's no real connection to the viewer for a movie experience to be had.

Also it would never happen, but a rated R Halo movie would be the tits. Dark, gritty, and violent like the books. Honestly just take fucking Eric Nylund's books and combine them into some sort of screenplay.

Also, unfortunately the time for a Halo movie has probably passed. It has nowhere near the marketshare, nor is as popular as it was 10 years ago. 343i certainly didn't help their case.

it's prime has past (as in anticipation/wanting)
it would have to be an origin story, cadet becoming master chief in some pivotal battle. then ends with the beginning premise of the halo game.
also must have big time actor and never reveal his face, only his voice.
don't make the same mistake that judge dredd made with stallon.

The books are pretty good. At least a few of them. Not sure how many there are now, but a few would work in a movie.

First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, and The Fall of Reach are very good reads.

Sup Forumseddit

Why not just make an entirely original space thing with green space marines? Not worth the hassle to use the Halo brand, even though there's the benefit of it being a well-known name.

What's dumb about it?

>inb4 you reply with some ridiculous reductionist argument like "it's just a guy shooting aliens" or similar

It would have been crazy expensive for a first film in an unproven film series, and by now it's a complete decade past peak popularity.

There's also some great backstory on why it didn't work out. Essential microsoft had no idea how to work in the movie business and everyone with money backed out
gamezone.com/news/the-halo-movie-was-cancelled-due-to-greedy-corporate-moves-and-ambition-3450566

Ask microshat they hate money tho . Their xbox division is sinking.

Because the universe is fucking enormous and Hollywood writers seem physically incapable of competently adapting video game stories to film.

multiple studios have fought over the franchise rights, and when they start to make it those same studios fight over how to make it.
neil blomkamp and Guillermo del torror have said they started working on it but the studios fucked it all up and they never want to touch it again

so thank hollyjew for being hollyjew

show me a hollywood movie with a story that isnt dumb

See the link I posted above, it was Microsoft trying to micromanage production that made everyone quit. They wanted the most input and the most profit, essentially telling the studios what to do with their money

EVEN HALO COMMERCIALS ARE PURE KINO
youtube.com/watch?v=JMYrKTU8Hmc

IF BLOMKAMP EXPANDED HIS HALO SHORTS INTO FEATURE LENGTH IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME

HES PROBABLY TOO MUCH OF A FAGGOT TO DO IT RIGHT THESE DAYS

>Doom-esque shootemup starring a faceless MC

On the contrary, Hollywood would never take such a risk on a big budget sci-fi movie. They would make sure to find a way to show MC's face (changing the visor, or have him run around without the helmet), and probably give the starring role to some minority like Idris Elba. Cortana would probably written to be a cunt and the plot would revolve around MC protecting some little girl from the flood (aping Aliens/Logan, because you know its Hollywood which doesn't like risks and runs on formulas).

>faceless MC

You could show anyone in the world Maser Chief's helmet and 90% of them would at least know he was that Halo guy. Just because his face isn't a face doesn't make him faceless.

I legitimately wish it was just a guy shooting aliens.

Halo is best when it's a sci-fi action flick like Halo CE and Reach. I think the story began to devolve once they tried to make it a space opera. It's not that space operas are intrinsically bad, but Halo in particular just became a cliche "chosen one fights an ancient evil that has awoken" story.

>it's just a guy shooting aliens
It is though. Its the most boring contrived sci fi plot conceived.
Dude were totally out numbered and out teched, but our plucky mary sue protagonist manages to pull it out of his ass time and time again.
Stop trying to turn vidya into a movie. Without player agency and gameplay, which you literally cannot include in a passive format like film, all you have left is a script written by someone who couldn't hack it in the film industry.

You could argue the same thing for Iron Man, but they still do that stupid zoom in on RDJ's face and have him pull the helmet/suit back pretty often in the Marvel movies. Again, Hollywood wouldn't want to risk not having the star of the movie show expession/emotion and him hiding behind a visor the whole movie (at least not for a big budget movie).

No, look at how they do Iron Man and constantly show his face inside the helmet. Giant, ugly glowing closeups of him because people want to see his face. Faces are a huge part of communication and empathy and all that, and 100 minutes of staring at a guys visor would make it hard to care about him as a character. It works in video games because you "are" that character, and in comics because of it being read, but I think it would be unusual in film. Can't have anything unusual in a 200 million dollar blockbuster

>tfw no odst movie
>tfw no odst 2 by bungie

>non-descript doomguy shoots oompa loompa looking aliens for 2 hours
How exciting

the costs to produce the movie would be very high and it would be extremely risky

The covenant stories are my favorite part of Halo. The fanbase seems fairly divided over it, honestly. But at least everyone can agree whenever the focus is on ONI that the narrative is garbage.

>you will never build a story out of things that the director wanted to hear Keith David say

The cable, I'm going to cut it...

Yes, I will agree with you on that. Every single time I've ever read about ONI in a book, they are always up to some stupid 2secret4u bullshit that either never gets explained or is completely underwhelming.

They missed the boat, it isn't 2009 anymore. No one cares about Halo nowadays.

They stil can market it to the young adult group tho and cgi is cheaper than ever (and cheap looking)

Whitewash Sgt. Johnson with CIA's actor. I would love a Halo movie so much instead of being force free alien and predator sequels.