Why the fuck do Hollywood scriptwriters lack common sense to figure out that the lines they're writing are cringey as...

Why the fuck do Hollywood scriptwriters lack common sense to figure out that the lines they're writing are cringey as fuck? I can understand fast quips and jokes, but when you have to make a joke that takes a character like 40 seconds to enounce, you should be damn aware that it's really not going to be funny (i.e the whole "Cheers" convo)

I generally liked the short stuff they said, but whenever a character spoke for more than 10 seconds without stopping it was usually bad

Because 80% of the movie audience isn't seeing it in English so who cares?

they just have computers auto generate the dialog

they call them... quiputers

It's a decision made by a committee, not a creative artist. Committees make bland, lifeless things to appeal to the widest possible audience. It's a shame the unique creative spark of the original guardians got stomped to death by corporate greed.

The screenplay usually goes through a ton of ghostwriters who are asked to punch it up, so it gets a little disjointed.

Because these movies are made for children: the audience who laughs when Minions say "Eeeeee banana" and makes their bored parents buy tickets to multiple shows.

Because most of the audience is not trying as hard as they can to find fault in a popular movie to fit in on an anime website.

The Cheers convo was not even some sort of drawn out gag, it was actually fairly serious to show how that Peter and Gamora really don't have a lot in common and have to put effort into connecting.

When Gamora yells I don't know what Cheers is it's not meant to be funny, she's serious, but since you probably are literally on the autistic spectrum you pick to use one of the more serious beats to use as an example of a drawn out joke when you could have picked something agonizingly obviously drawn out like the tazerface running joke but maybe you thought that was the serious character development.

James Gunn writes his own movies.

>cringey as fuck
Even if you're right about the dialogue, you're guilty of what you're complaining about.

Because writing believable dialogue is really difficult.

I'll give OP a prompt and see if they can write something that isn't cringey: A father just found out that his 16 year old boy killed the dog and his been hiding it from him for a week.

>They washed down Drax from an extremely hardened badass to a literal autistic manchild with a retarded sense of humor

How is this related to anything that was mentioned?

No that's just you being an imaginationfag, it was totally meant to be a joke, not even the last gamora part but the entire convo, it was stupid as fuck and Quill could have used real language to make his serious complaint, but instead he goes with some weird shit about reality shows and ratings because he wants the audience to laugh.

That's a completely different case, I'm talking about scriptwriters who write extremely unfunny jokes that were obviously not good in any moment

Dad: So that's what that smell was!
Son: LMAO, sorry, dad.
Dad: Let's get this mess cleaned up before mom comes home and we both get in trouble!
*they laugh together and dad pats son on the back*

Oh, that's a specious move and you know it! Challenging an amateur to compete with a professional is not a fair nor reasonable comparison. It is appropriate to expect good work from professionals; it is NOT reasonable to expect it from amateurs.
Pull your head out of your ass.

>reality shows
How does quill know reality shows when he got snatched before they even existed??

They often hire comedians to "punch up" a script, they're not always good comedians.

>scriptwriters who write extremely unfunny jokes that were obviously not good in any moment
Again, you've clearly never done any serious writing before.

Of course it is. I'm not saying that you can't critique a chef without being able to make a great meal, i'm saying that if you say every chef in the world is trash, maybe you should try cooking to see how difficult it is.

>Comparing jokes to serious dialogues

I guess you haven't done professional writing either

Who is more retarded: me for not properly reading OP's post before responding or OP for not realizing that his sense of humour isn't objective?

At first I accepted the challenge with a cocky outlook. How hard can it be, I said.

Then I realised your dialogue needs to be:
Funny,
PC,
Suitable for mainstream population.

Shit's hard, but its because your prompt is so far fetched. I, as the writer need to come up with a suitable scenario in which a son can kill a dog but have it worthy of a story.

Intentionally because the dog needed to be killed?

Unintentionally because of a strange scenario.

Your prompt is shit.

Pic related was an experiment by Disney to see how much they could get away with.

The hypothesis was: "If we just had a character say a completely contextless, nonsensical, random sentence but set it up as a joke, the audience will still laugh because they're told to"

The experiment was a success and the hypothesis was proven correct. Now they don't even have to write real scripts anymore. Just fill it with random quips.

>but when you have to make a joke that takes a character like 40 seconds to enounce, you should be damn aware that it's really not going to be funn

This is LITERALLY Spiderman's AT-AT joke in Civil War.

Dad: Son, you killed the dog and hid it from me and so I must ask you; but why?
Son: Suck my dick, Dad.
*The Son crosses his arms at his wrists and chops against his groin in rapid succession. The Dad stares back with the intensity of a thousand Vin Diesels*
Son: Suck it.
Dad: Maybe I will, Son...
*A pregnant pause follows. The Dad's eyes narrow.*
Dad: Maybe I will.