Silence

>"DUDE, CHRISTIANITY IS BAD BECAUSE IT'S FOREIGN, LMAO."
>"DUDE, NEVER MIND THE FACT THAT OUR RELIGION, BUDDHISM, IS FROM INDIA. LAMO."
>"DUDE, NEVER MIND THE FACT THAT A MAJORITY OF OUT CULTURE AND TRADITIONS ARE FROM CHINA. LAMO."
>"DUDE, NEVER MIND THE FACT THAT WE'RE VIOLATING THE TENANTS OF OUR OWN RELIGION BY KILLING AND TORTURING INNOCENT CHRISTIANS. LMAO"

What the fuck was his problem? How do we solve the sushi-nigger problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silence_(novel)
youtube.com/watch?v=wf0-wv2awkY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Buddhism is a philosophy not a religion

His justification for killing Christians was that Japan already had Buddhism. And his punishment for Neeson and Garfield was making them work in the Buddhist monastery.

It's a religion.

It's cause Christianity was aesthetically offensive.

That's the only reason.

whoa wtf i hate american nationalism now

congrats OP you've uncovered a redpill. Chinks are subhuman too. They might be better than niggers but they are still on a lower level than whites. They are not to be respected just because "muh anime"

>my fairytale is real but yours isn't

How do we execute adults that believe in the magical Santa?

So...what you say is that we need Islam now?

Ok pajeet...

>Christianity
>i'll live in paradise no matter what i do because i can confess my sins
>Buddhism
>if i do good things and dedicate my life to being better i will come back even better

thats what i got. he saw christianity as a poison to his people and if they truly were christians they wouldnt mind being sent to paradise. honestly i sided more with him. just my thoughts though.

The inquisition was pure politics you fucking moron.

The entire point of keeping christianity out of japan was to prevent foreign influence. Just like Sharia law and muslims in the west.

Jesus most of Sup Forums is fucking retarded.

Just watched this last night. Would love to hear your guys' opinions on it. I thought the scene where the Hacksaw Ridge kid steps on the relief was really good, along with the decapitation scene, and the slow progression.

Really puts The Tree Of Life into perspective.

Watching Knock Knock right now. Since John Wick 1 I've been on a Keanu kick.

The film isn't about religion vs. religion you moron.

It is about faith in general.

The thread is about The Inquisitor motivations, not the theme of the movie. I agree with you though.

He's right you know

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could miss this, especially on a board that's obsessed with Muslims invading the West, or whatever the fuck they're freaking out over today.

No, Garfield explained that Christianity has no tie to any country and transcends the world, but Inoue acted like a sperg.

>Sharia
>Foreign influence
lol? Sharia's problem is the pur ereligious influence.

Christianity is a submissive religion where one is told to simply believe that one's Karmic atonement has been accomplished by a dead man on a cross and his attendant priesthood; the Shinto scholars correctly saw that it would create a docile populace ripe for colonization

>Japs
>Not Docile

Have you read anything the author of Silence wrote? The docility and tepidness of the japs was his biggest problem. That's what Inoue even meany by calling japn a swamp.

Buddhism engenders passivity because nothing matters, you'll just be reborn in a new form. Better, worse, who cares? There're infinite chances.

Christianity encourages one to be virtuous and christ-like.

Touche.

They're brains are rotten from too much tv.

And the inquisitor (clearly an atheist) deflected the line of attack entirely, basically saying that there is no true religion. Go rewatch the scene. The inquisitor doesn't care about religion at all. Remember the 4 wives story? Ever heard of Meiji restoration or Japanese isolationism? This exact same sort of religious/political power struggle has been going on with catholicism and protestants since the middle ages.
Scotland? Hello?
Read a history book.

Good movie.

Stop being Christian

>This is actually what christcucks got from Silence

Unbelievable how you can sit through three hours of that movie and come out with
>Christianity is good, nips are evil
You're as naive as the main character was.

Missionary Christianity wasn't
It was always used to inveigle into other countries - often to create tensions that would give a pretext to invade to protect Christians when it was really about stealing resources
Just like today - south Sudan was created to siphon off Sudanese oil/gas

>>Christianity is good, nips are evil
That's literally what it's about though. Sorry you took the Reddit "DUDE EVERYONE IS BAD, MORAL RELATIVITY" interpretation to heart.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silence_(novel)

How about you actually read about Endou? Wikipedia is good enough as a primer for you.

>"In The Sea and Poison, one of the narrators, a salaryman, stumbles across evidence that American prisoners of war were used as guinea pigs and then killed, but did the experimenters want anything more than this narrator, "just an ordinary bit of happiness"? Yellow Man starts with the quotation, "I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth."[13] A character says, " A yellow man like me has absolutely no experience of anything so profound and extreme as the consciousness of sin you white men have. All we experience is fatigue, a deep fatigue—a weariness murky as the color of my skin, dank, heavily submerged." A series of essays comments on "the threefold insensitivity of the Japanese": insensitivity to God, sin, and death.[14]"

Fucking simpleton.

But Garfield clearly wasn't an agent of Portugal, he just wanted the persecution of Christians to end.

>what was his problem

Heathen senpai

Catholicsm doesn't subscribe to Sola fides

>DUDE ISLAM IS BAD BECAUSE IT'S FOREIGN LMAO

>Come to foreign lands
>Try to convert the populace to a non-ethnic religion
>Stir up dissent and cause trouble
>Government shuts your shit down
>WAAAAAH MUH JEW GOD M-MUH RIGHTS

Nevermind the fact that Dutch monks smuggled silk worm eggs out of China and broke their monopoly on the silk trade. I'd have all missionaries killed on sight.

Wrong
Christians dont care about the future of the earth because muh sky paradise
People who believe in reincarnation care about the future, because they'll be back again to live in it.

the japanese didn't want to be diverse

particularly the government and by extension the samurai

watch more movies

No it isn't

>boiling complex theological and philosophical issues down to DUDE LMAO

You people don't deserve Scorsese.

Yes it is

Retard much?

>Christians dont care about the future of the earth because muh sky paradise
Men are stewards of the earth according to the Bible, and you're completely ignoring the fact that even if there is a "sky paradise," they leave their progeny (and their progeny, and so on) behind on earth.

>Try to convert the populace to a non-ethnic religion
>Buddhism is an ethnic religion

>Christianity is good, nips are evil
>That's literally what it's about though.
You're retarded.

I'm not a moral relativist by any stretch. I'm a die hard objectivist for that matter. But you're delusional if you think that the movie wasn't in part critical of religion and faith, both christianity and Buddhism by extension.

Japs are "Shinto" before they're Buddhists. And their Buddhism isn't more Zen Buddhism than regular Buddhism.

So did you read that quote or anything about Endou?

Religion is defined by worship.
Buddhism has no worship.
>inb4 Buddha
They revere Buddha, they don't worship him.

wrong

>But you're delusional if you think that the movie wasn't in part critical of religion and faith, both Christianity and Buddhism by extension.

You are so unbelievably wrong. It's a christian movie about christian faith by a christian director based on a book written by a christian.

It's about maintaining your faith in the face of persecution and "silence" from God, hence the name.

You might be a simpleton.

>foreign influence is tied to a country
How fucking dumb can you get?

Devoid of a tie to a nation, nothing is a "foreign influence." Is yoga a "foreign" influence even though it basically has nothing to do with India? No, Christianity is universal as Garfield said.

More proof that kids today are fucking idiots and are way too busy dicking around on their phones to pay any attention to movies anymore.

Is that an excerpt from Silence the novel or some other bit of his writing?

From wiki:
"Rodrigues' journal depicts his struggles: he understands suffering for the sake of one's own faith; but he struggles over whether it is self-centered and unmerciful to refuse to recant when doing so will end another's suffering. At the climactic moment, Rodrigues hears the moans of those who have recanted but are to remain in the pit until he tramples the image of Christ. As Rodrigues looks upon a fumi-e, Christ breaks his silence: "You may trample. You may trample. I more than anyone know of the pain in your foot. You may trample. It was to be trampled on by men that I was born into this world. It was to share men's pain that I carried my cross." Rodrigues puts his foot on the fumi-e."

I mean this is art here, but I see a movie that is much more complex than a wholesale condemnation of the Japanese ethno/religious/nationalists plus a pristine advocation of christianity and faith.

Clearly there is a strong argument that the film means to portray faith in a positive light, as shown by the final scene with the small wooden cross, but this light isn't positive for the entire movie, and clearly there is an element of the movie that is critical of faith. I mean the movie is called silence for goodness sake. The movie continually brings attention to the fact that god is silent. The one time that god isn't silent, christ, or god, or whomever, is abdicating faith, telling Andrew Garfield to step. HMMM I wonder what that could mean... Critique of faith/worship misplaced?

>Garfield explained that Christianity has no tie to any country and transcends the world

But that isn't true. If we're talking about Catholic Christianity, then it's directly tied to the Vatican/Papal State.

Who would have thought that 400 years after, the japanese would have becomw cucked into oblivion.

Of course it is about faith, but it clearly isn't all flowers and streams about it.

I'll repeat myself again since you obviously have the reading comprehension of a typical christcuck or jihadi or whatever.

The film is about faith, but portrays faith in a mixed light.

It would be a piece of shit movie otherwise.
You trying to call that movie shit?

Christians were free to spread their religion without violence as were the Japanese to accept it willingly.

>Christians were free to spread their religion without violence

No they weren't. Freedom of religion was not a thing back then.

It's got ghosts and gods and supernatural shit out the ass. It has cosmic reward/punishment. It's a religion, dumbshit.

You have to be 18 to post here

>Dutch monks smuggled silk worm eggs out of China and broke their monopoly on the silk trade
>Asian Jews got BTFO by based tulipniggers
>WAAAH, HOW DARE THEY
Just so you know, you're defending a fucking monopoly.
I'm fucking glad those chinks got their shit kicked in.

Ghosts and supernatural shit does not a religion make.
>gods
Name one (1)

Okay? Japanese wanted Christianity or what they thought was Christianity and the priests risked their lives to perform their rituals for them. That's what the movie is about. Why do you think anyone is whining? Just because freedom of religion wasn't respected then doesn't mean it wasn't morally wrong.

>These parts of our culture have both been comfortably assimilated and taken on before Isolationist measures were put into affect
>A foreign religion whoms major tenant is aggressive conversion, subverts NonChristian authority, and hold Christian Authority in the hands of a foreign power
Jeez I don't know why nips would be against Missionaries and Converts roaming their country. It's not as though any other cultures would ever be wary of these people, even well into the fucking 60s where a point of contention was that a Catholic President might be too cozy with the Pope to be an effective leader.

>wanting to impede on a nations culture because you think yours is better
This sounds familiar.

>le foreign power

If anyone bothered studying European history would know that by that time the influence of the vatican was so small that no one cared about it and every european state did whatever they wanted

If they wanted to convert, why shouldn't they be able? Give me one good reason that isn't collectivistic, muh culture bullshit.

>critical of faith.
No, literally none of it is critical of faith.

Christian scholars aren't simpletons, they question the nature of their faith and of God. Silence is about God/Christ's literal silence, and about the reconciling your faith and tmorality.

In his darkest moment, asked to step on Christ's image, Rodrigues hears Christ's voice telling him to do it in order to spare the others.

Endou was a self-hating jap.

>Implying Buddhist doctrine doesn't subvert government action as well (all religions for that matter)
>Implying people can't make their own decisions in regards to faith

...lol?

I'd make him pay one way or another
Fucking japs

No way user, only Christianity has ever been used for power. All the other religions are pure and sincere.

it wasn't about religion. it was about europeans trying to use religion to gain influence and control in Japan.

Japanese government didn't want to become a colony like others. So they nipped the problem in the bud.

Portuguese were taking japanese girls captive as sex slaves. Japan did nothing wrong.

Why'd he have to be so smug though?

Japan was full of Gods already
Please no more God

No You

>Give me a reason that isn't
I can't because those are exactly the fucking reasons why they did it.
>All Religions
Depends on the Religion and Government. Theocratic cultures don't tend to conflict much in those areas.
Also Buddhism at that point was status quo, and certain sects relatively lax.
Whereas a foreign religion specifically out to convert would naturally cause a tight ass country like Japan to clench even tighter.

DEY GUNNA GO TA HEAVEN MAH NIGGA SO LETS SHOOT N KILL NIGGAS LMAO
fuck your shitskin cult

Yeah, I mean it's not like Buddhism wasn't the worlds first missionary religion or anything

>None of Silence is critical of faith
Spotted the christcuck retard.

Rodrigues hears christ's voice, but as we all know that was just a figment of his imagination. Same part that makes him see his own reflection as christ.

It's hilarious seeing the way millennial redditors and "film buffs" interpreted this movie.

>tfw mormon
>tfw best parts of Christianity and Buddhism
>tfw if you work hard enough you get to become your own mini-god
>tfw get as many loli wives as I want

>Rodrigues hears christ's voice, but as we all know that was just a figment of his imagination.
>As we all know

The Inquisitor's motivations are pretty clearly Japanese nationalism. He sees religion as just another aspect of the Japanese state, which is why Christianity (a universalist force) represents such a threat to him and what he believes in. The teachings of Christ are literally antithetical to his worldview.

He also recognizes that although Andrew Garfield's motives are pure, the Great European powers are using Christianity is a mechanism to insert themselves into Asian nations.

>Can't discus this film on Reddit because everyone is an SJW atheist
>Can't discuss this movie on Sup Forums because everyone is a fucking self-hating, japan-glorifying weeaboo

It doesn't help that is about catholicism which is hated even by other christians

> films either have to be critical of religion or portray religion in a positive light, they can never do both!

Never change, Sup Forums

Why can you only discuss things with people who agree with you? Also just how Japan glorifying is Sup Forums really? Jacking off to hentai isn't really the same as buying into japanese nationalism

>>"DUDE, NEVER MIND THE FACT THAT OUR RELIGION, BUDDHISM, IS FROM INDIA. LAMO."
Were you born like this? Japs are shintoists you inbred fat fuck. How did you even manage to find this website, you stupid shit?

youtube.com/watch?v=wf0-wv2awkY

Well, Sup Forums, was it kino?

Yes, Silence was objectively the best film of 2016 and the only reason that it didn't receive the recognition it clearly deserved is that the modern world is a dystonia corporate concentration camp where the powers at be gradual try to strip away everything that makes us human through dopamine confusion, low culture, and degeneracy,
all designed to create a race of slaves too ignorant to realize their pathetic condition

>Why can you only discuss things with people who agree with you?
It's not about discussing things with people who agree with you, it's about discussing things with those who are unbiased/have an understanding of christian theology.

>Jacking off to hentai isn't really the same as buying into japanese nationalism
A vast majority of 4chaniggers are adult weebs, and admit to it or not, went through a :JAPAN IS DA BEST KAWAII UGUU~ KIMOCHII DESU NE~" phase when they were a teen. That outlook still affects them.

I'd sacrifice my left ball to see all Abrahamism on this planet eradicated

Buddhism has been used to justify violence many times before, it seems all religions of peace are like that.

How do you know if they're biased if you've never discussed things with them?

You're making that judgement based on what their opinion is, not how they arrived at it. In short, you're a brainlet.

>They revere Buddha, they don't worship him.
It's the same thing nigga.
So is a film, a flick, a movie, a picture, and a kino.

>Japs are shintoists

They're buddhists too you numbskull

Right. Most posts in this thread are edgy comments empathizing with the sushi-nigger's genocide of innocents.

t. biased faggot mad he was called out

>for a deity
Look up what that means, user.
Buddha is a not a deity in Buddhism.

It's both fuckface.
Some practice it philosophically.
Some practice is religiously.

Same shit happened with Confucius. He went from revered philosopher to Chink God in a few generations

>Buddhism has been used to justify violence many times before, it seems all religions of peace are like that.
How does it justify violence?
>5 basic moral precepts of Buddhism
>avoid taking the life of beings
>avoid taking things not given
>avoid sensual misconduct
> refrain from false speech
>abstain from substances which cause intoxication and heedlessness

*yawn*

well for example one buddhist cult used karma to justify beating a man.
The idea is he had bad karma for disobeying the cults strict rules.
To balance out his karma he would need to pay for his actions, and the men who beat him were getting good karma for helping the man restore his karma.

Yea sure building the largest statues in the world of him and going on pilgrimage to sites associated with him is not worshiping.

He rose from the dead. He is no man.

He's supposed to be a hypocrite, using religion to run his political agenda