District 9

With all the blatant Apartheid references, could this be made today?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BFda1MZ54G4
takimag.com/article/elysium_neill_blomkamp_fools_the_critics_again_steve_sailer/print
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>its an aliens are just humanoids with scales/fur/etc episode

Nobody knows or cares about Apartheid anymore, if it were about people being refused the right to marry the aliens THEN there'd be a fuss.

Convergent Evolution. Google it.

>omg lions are just stripe-less tigers!!!!

it was insufferable garbage - literally the only movie I've ever just quit watching part way through

>upright bipeds with dexterous appendages become the most advanced species on Earth
>hmmm yes makes sense

>upright bipeds with dexterous appendages become the most advanced species on another planet
>woah that's ridiculous they should have 50 tentacles and no skeleton

its almost like bipeds with hands free to touch and experiment will become the most advanced species on any given planet

>if we ever find alien life it has to be oxygen based and bipedal because I SAID SO!!

>NO!!!! LIFE CANNOT HAPPEN UNLESS IT IS HUMANLIKE I AM AFRAID OF EVERYTHING DIFFERENT SO THAT'S HOW IT IS!!!

Black """freedom""" was a mistake.

haha you totally got me dude

why not? are we closer to the aparthied state? fooking kill urself mate.

>oxygen based
No one has mentioned oxygen but you.
>bipedal
Surely an octopus or housecat would be just as capable of reaching the stage of interstellar space travel, right? Not like having two appendages free for manipulating your surroundings helps speed development along.
>REEEEEEEE WHY AREN'T THEY SUPER COOL WACKY ORIGINAL CHARACTERS LIKE IN MY DEVIANTART COMMUNITIES
>WHY DO THEY HAVE TO REMIND ME OF THE SCOURGE OF HUMANITY WHICH REJECTED A SUPREME GENTLEMAN SUCH AS MOI

Life? No. Intelligent sapient and sentient life? Yes.

First life we'll find will likely be single cell and possibly on one of our solar system's moons (like Europa).

First intelligent, sapient and sentient life? Gonna be bipedal with bi-symmetry most likely.

I feel like Neil Blomkamp constantly looks at this film and cries himself to sleep since he'll never make anything good again

What are some essential apartheid kinos?

The funny part is that it's not actually that good.

literally michael from the office gets a job working with aliens

Why tho? I want to hear your reasoning.

Not sure if memeing. But Cry Freedom is pure kino. Probably one of Denzel's best performances.

Technically an octopus could reach interstellar travel because of the tentacles, if it was smart enough. Humans got to this stage because we invented tools, which then created fire, which then cooked food which meant we spent less time digesting food and spent time thinking about making out life easier. Which lead to domestication of herd animals, which lead to agricultural shit. Which was all we needed to start thinking about deep shit and interesting science stuff like metallurgy.

If a octopus could do that, then they'd eventually get to where we are and further.

Which bit? Why will they be bipedal with bi-symmetry or why will life be bacteria or why will it likely be Europa?

Can octopussies grasp, manipulate, and transport objects while moving, or do they need all tentacles free to swim?

Bi pedal and Bi symmetrical pls

youtube.com/watch?v=BFda1MZ54G4
Yes.

>With all the blatant Apartheid references
Literally had nothing to do with aparthied, he was more influcenced by the influx of Zimbabweans into SA.

takimag.com/article/elysium_neill_blomkamp_fools_the_critics_again_steve_sailer/print

There are people who are honestly upset that Blomkamp was denied a chance to have an elderly Sigourney Weaver and half-dead looking Michael Biehn play out his Aliens fan-fiction on FOX's dime.

They've been recorded using tools and doing 'art', so, yes.

Well, being biped is useful because if you're a quadruped, you need all 4 limbs to move. Which means no hands free to use tools. And, further, you're going to have developed claws, not manipulative digits (fingers and thumbs). So you're not going to be using a rock and flint to make fire and so on. For bipeds? You have two hands free, so while you're digesting your raw gazelle meat, you start smashing rocks together and make fire, then one day you drop some meat into the fire and you realise it tastes nice and you realised you don't need to waste as much time waiting for it to digest, so you start wondering why that rock is shiny in the fire, then notice it starts to run free and harden when the fire is out. Get it?

As for bi-symmetry, evolutionary survival. If you have two things, you can lose one and still carry on. If you have multiple things, it's more shit to support with nerves and stuff. Look at a spider, it has 8 eyes, imagine a human with 8 eyes, that's a lot of information to take in and a lot more dangerous to you than two eyes. Two is just a good compromise between safety and helpfulness.

Now, why will intelligent life be like this? Because it's the only marker we have. We're smart, we have these things. Apes are smart, they have these things. Dolphins, Orcas and Octopuses don't and are smart, but they have no chance of making fire for obvious reasons (though an octopus technically could as they can live on land for short periods of time). Only ravens and their kin (Jackdaws, Magpies, Crows etc) and squirrels are the closest land animals to human intelligence (apart from apes, obviously). Since both of them can solve complex stuff (getting food out of puzzles etc).

Essentially, intelligent, sapient and sentient life is going to be like humans. The rest doesn't make sense. Remember Kang and Kodus in The Simpsons?

The alternatives are unlikely.

I really hope Chappie killed his career.

/thread
Best argument on Sup Forums today

Great movie. I'm just disappointed they didn't use the opportunity to show what a fucking hell hole south africa is since the niggers took over.

We're never getting a sequel to this, are we?

>2025
>Prawns are swedes
>They live in a guetto surrounded by niggers
>Niggers sell allah blessed swede bodyparts