Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Discussion

Wow, what a great film.

I'm really glad that Marvel listened to critique and held back on the pop culture references, pandering quips and call-ups to upcoming films in the MCU. Really shows that they get it now

I also really loved the villain, his goals were clearly defined and they weren't boring universe ending tripe. Truly a memorable character.

Also love how they didn't shove baby groot down our throats in a cynical marketing ploy.

At this point, marvel isn't deviating away from a tried and true formula, if it makes billions, it's gonna keep going. And no matter what artistic critiques you may have, shit isn't gonna change. Yeah, the RT meter will say 76% for the critics, but if it's at 90+ for general audiences, marvel doesn't give a fuck.

I feel like they actually tried to move on from the formula a bit. the faceless goons were cut down from earlier movies, they were generally used to drive the plot onward rather than just giving the heroes faceless baddies to kill (the monarch ships driving them to ego/bringing out rockets flaws to be dealt with, the pirates bringing rocket and yondu together). plus they killed of a Yondu for good, he isn't coming back, and I like that Groot doesn't just get a reset button, he is stuck as tiny Groot growing up. Of course its pretty standard marvel at the end of the day, its definitely better then I expected.

This film is phenomenal. It's everything Age of Ultron should have been and failed to live up to be. I wasn't expecting to get emotional as much as I did over a comic book movie. This is honest to goodness how sequels need to be for movies like GotG.

Who was in the wrong, here?

cgi one

STOP ITS STILL NOT OUT IN AMERICA FOR ANOTHER TWO MORE DAYS

Rocket did literally nothing wrong.

>go to watch capeshit
>be upset that it's capeshit
what did he mean by this?

Kylo Ren kills his father, Han Solo

Only watched it coz it was £5.99 at Vue

the whole family/friends thing works so good with them... why?

£9.40 at Cineworld, not paying that shit. I used to get the Orange Wednesday deal and went with a mate to anything. Thay aren't even doing cheap Tuesdays any more and nthey allocate you a seat so you end up sitting next to anyoner unless you ignore it.

£4.50 at my local independent
drinks and popcorn are stupidly cheap too so it's a nice night out

I paid £3.20 goml

leaving most aside
what call-ups to upcoming films are you referring to besides the usual one postcredit scene?

Cineworlds are universally shit. Get on a bus and find an odeon or something.

God damn, I paid £12.75 at my local Odeon. You lucky fuckers.

Didn't have a proper one

Vue is £4.99 around here, pretty good

Is this all sarcasm? I'm going to the ciñémá later today to see it and I don't want to get my hopes up, thinking it'll be good.

No, it's a stand alone, character driven story. Totally unheard of before in the MCU. The visuals are fucking great as well.

>mfw this scene

How can she be so perfect Sup Forums?

I still don't know if you're joking or not.

go see it, it is a big budget james gunn movie, it is great

It is really bloody good

It's better than every Marvel movie except the first GotG.

But!

Like all Marvel movies, it is not a good movie itself. Only good inside the Marvel bubble.

bullshit
it is a good fucking movie and doesn't even fucking ressembles marvel movies, if not by Ego mentioning the infinity stone an Nebula Thanos it doesn't have any relation with marvel stuff

gotg 2 is colorful unlike previous mcu films. it's stand alone in a sense that it doens't connect to the infinity gauntlet storyline

Y-you can't be this dumb.

>it is a good fucking movie
No it isn't.

No it FUCKING isn't.

I am sick of people who think that just because they enjoyed something or were entertained by it that makes it good.

Fuck you.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 is a two hour distraction and nothing more. At the very best it is mediocre. It doesn't matter if it's the most orgasmic distraction you've ever seen - if that's all it is, then that's ALL it is. If all a movie needs to be to be good is be a fucking distraction then movies are a dead artform.

But it's legit good tho.

>first ten minutes of baby groot dancing
Kill me now

First thread where I've ever actually thought there might be shills.

nice reddit spacing you fucking bitch
you couldn't recognize a good movie if it was implanted in your eye sockets

No, it isn't.

Any statement of quality requires that there be criteria for assessing that quality.

Movies should not just entertain and distract, but also teach and uplift us.

Guardians does the former, but not the latter, and therefore is merely mediocre.

>it's the reddit spacing meme again
i
will
type
my
the
fuck
i
want
cunt

It's the best Marvel sequel so far and overall one of the better MCU films.

I bet you're one of those bitches that think comedies aren't """""good movies"""""""" by your definition
you're fucking retarded mate, I bet you liked Primer

This is being shilled like crazy. It has no plot, the quips are awful (fuck that Drax shit tbqh just kill him off) and the resolution is one of the worst I've seen. The only thing going on for it are the visuals and they are nothing to write home about either. Mediocre movie, 5.5 out of 10 tops

Do you remember when the first GotG came out? The entire thing was shat on so hard that I find it hard to believe that everyone turned around on the sequel and is saying it's great.

>I bet you're one of those bitches that think comedies aren't """""good movies"""""""" by your definition
Wrong.

I think that there are some fantastically good comedies out there. Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister being one of them which, yes, does have a movie-length special episode.

>star lord talks about making babies the archaic way
>she says she would like a lesson for science purposes

FUCKING CHADS!!!

one of the symptoms of autism is not being able to get when something is a joke
I bet you think everyone hates rick and morty too, right.

No, I like Rick and Morty. But can you blame me for being cautious? People have been nothing but negative for GotG2 and this is the first thread I've seen of anyone saying something good about it. I just don't want to set my expectations too high.

>Movies should not just entertain and distract, but also teach and uplift us.

Says who?

>tfw I had a tear like rocket did at the end
>tfw I know all those feels

>People have been nothing but negative for GotG2 and this is the first thread I've seen of anyone saying something good about it.

u wut

Subtle enough, OP. 7/10 bait 5/10 movie

Says anyone with a brain.

Life alone is not enough. We ought to strive for righteous life.

And no, I'm not saying that everything has to be a parable and that you're a bad person for watching bad or mediocre movies. I like Guardians of the Galaxy and Rocket is my platonic husbando.

But nothing that merely exists can be good, because nothing can be good without being righteous.

I guess I just don't feel the need to be able to tell everyone that everything I like is good. You're not a bad person for not having exclusively perfect taste user. You ARE a bad person if you lie about the quality of movies to defend your ego because telling people you like mediocre films hurts your feelings.

*tips*

>held back on the pop culture references, pandering quips and call-ups to upcoming films in the MCU
I'll agree on the call-ups. Drax was a quipmachine this go around (not that I minded) and the pop culture references were lessened but still there (thanks soundtrack)

My favorite ship
>implying the scene where mantis touches Drax to feel his sadness and breaks up crying isn't amazing

In the end, was ego right or wrong?

Less focus on plot was one of the things I liked the most about it, honestly. No mcguffin and Thanos shenanigans this time, just the Guardians going on a mission. On their way there they casually meet Peter's dad, with things kinda developing from that. It's why I really don't see what OP is referring to when he says the movie has tons of call-ups to upcoming movies when this is the first Marvel movie in a long time to have literally zero leads to future films (apart from the obligatory post-credits scene, of course).
I liked how episodic it felt, and how in this way we got way more backstory on the characters. I agree that some of the humor doesn't work mostly due to jokes not knowing when to end but the more intimate moments worked really well for me. The ending was surprisingly moving for a MCU film, Yondu's death and just his character overall were a highlight in that regard

everyone had a sad moment.
Also baby groot was annoying the first act of the movie, he was pretty okay later.

turning all the planets in the galaxy into ego is kinda wrong

I wonder how empty he would feel after he had actually succeded

I'm just annoyed by the focus on backstory. For fuck's sake, can we just once have a superhero movie not mired in the fucking past?

But that's the thing: without their backstory the characters have no depth, and aren't strong enough to stand up alone. And I'm not saying that the characters should have no history or anything - I'm just saying that I want a movie where the Guardians go on a mission that doesn't involve the fate of the galaxy or their deep personal demons. They just go and fucking do things and develop as people through their lived experiences. Like real fucking people - and good characters - do.

>I guess I just don't feel the need to be able to tell everyone that everything I like is good. You're not a bad person for not having exclusively perfect taste user. You ARE a bad person if you lie about the quality of movies to defend your ego because telling people you like mediocre films hurts your feelings.

I'm not that user you were talking to, I was just following the reply thread and that bit caught my eye. I haven't watched the movie yet

MARY
POPPINS
Y'ALL

was yondu /our guy/?

>just gimme transformers

dude.

he's dead.

>being this retarded
I'm not saying I want episodic garbage with stagnant characters. I'm saying that I want character development that doesn't come from resolving a fucking plot hook in the character's """back"""story. Why the fuck is backstory even a word? Oh, right, because backstory is code for a story that isn't good enough to stand up on its own.

I'm a London fucker and paid Everyman cinema tickets.

Shit was ca£h.

What is with those sofas? It's like a fucking drug. Comfy as fuck.

>Ego is a Celestial
>Watchers are not on their own dimension
>Hela is a bounty hunter

The arrow scene was pretty cool,
though.

I don't get what you're saying, Peter's dad was a major plot point since the last movie when it openned with his mom dying and all the talk about his dad was a guy from the stars, it was resolved in this movie

do you also think it is bad that empire strikes/rotj is about luke's dad that was mentioned in star wars?

I see where you're coming. Although I did enjoy the movie I'd say what you want will probably come in the next movie desu, with Adam Warlock being involved and whatnot. Doing a sequel with this much focus on the characters themselves was something Gunn wanted to do since forever so it was kinda inevitable in the end, I guess

coming from*

sometimes I'm really glad some you guys aren't making movies

how do you know I'm not Steven Spielberg

I just got back from seeing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and I've got one word to say, fun. This movie was such a fun time at the movies with fun characters, fun direction and fun quipomatography. DC could learn a lot because there movies are dark and depressing and superhero movies are supposed to be fun all the time. I mean lighten up bud. You see a trailer for something like the Justice League and you're like "wow I gotta actually analyze the plot and pay attention that's no fun" but then you see the trailer for Thor Ragnorak and you're like "Holy shitballs dude that looks like so much fun my brain switch has been set to off". There's also something else about the film I've failed to mention but I'm gonna talk about it, the film is COLORFUL. YOU HERE THAT DC? YOU CAN HAVE FUN AND COLORS IN A SUPER HERO MOVIE. But wait that's not all this film features a cameo from Rick and Morty themselves in a scene with Chris Pratt and Baby Groot. I won't spoil it but I can guarantee one thing it's a fun colorful and lighthearted scene, basically a nerds wet dream. Also Kevin Feige is a genius for creating the first ever cinematic universe. 10/10 film.

>I don't get what you're saying, Peter's dad was a major plot point since the last movie when it openned with his mom dying and all the talk about his dad was a guy from the stars, it was resolved in this movie
I know, and I fully expected this, but I still think Peter's dad is a boring plot point that made for a boring film. We all know the pacing was off and the plot was pretty bad. Yondu and Rocket had better characterisation and development on their "we got kidnapped and escaped" plot than Quill did even with all of his """"back""""story.

>Doing a sequel with this much focus on the characters themselves was something Gunn wanted to do since forever so it was kinda inevitable in the end, I guess
It's just annoying because the focus isn't on the characters. Or at least, not any more than it otherwise would be. The plot is drawn from the character's backstory but the characters themselves get no more development than they would in any other plot. It's not any more character driven than the first one.

Basically, I think people are thinking that just because the plot involves something that happened in the character's past that makes it character development or character driven, and it doesn't.

Character development is how the character changes, and you literally cannot change the past. Character development driven by a plot that draws on the character's past is not "better development" than character development driven by a plot that draws on a boring mercenary mission that is totally unimportant to everyone and everything except for how it affects the characters. In fact, the latter is even better because you'd expect a world-ending epic quest to have some impact but keeping audiences interested through a day in the life of a space janitor would require some really strong character-driven plot.

Basically, just because plot comes from character past does not make it internal plot.

>there

you have to go back pablo.

>ondu and Rocket had better characterisation and development on their "we got kidnapped and escaped" plot
i didn't expect to like Yondu as much as i did desu. pretty much everyting involving him was a high point

>>Hela is a bounty hunter
What

I'm going to disagree with you and say that I liked the development of Peter realizing he always had a dad even if not by blood.

post yfw yondu soloing the entire space ship

"You're the Sea, Peter!" with Brandy playing in the background

Fuck, hit me like a brick.

>That scene at the end where she has dishevelled hair and does a little braaap

Hnnnng

I completely agree with that, I thought that was pretty well-executed all things considered, and the scene of him remembering learning to shoot with Yondu lasted for a fraction of a second.

There's probably room for sandwiching it into a better plot.

You don't need to have Peter's dad physically present shouting one-liners down the barrel of a camera while the lightshow is popping off in the background to talk about Peter's daddy issues. I think a more subtle approach in a more grounded plot would have been even more enjoyable.

I mean Peter's plot is so irrelevant to all the other characters that they literally have to take Rocket and Nebula and Yondu out of it and give them a whole different story only connected by the most tenuous threads just so that something interesting is happening.

SON OF A BITCH!

what's happening in this scene

Same. Yondu's funeral with the Cat Stevens song playing in the background hit me even harder, though.

>Hela is a bounty hunter
That wasn't Hela.

That golden chick certainly lifted parts of me up allright.

Was it as good as Doctor Strange?

It was better.

Too much FTL does bad shit to people.

Yondu was the only great thing in that movie. Had the feels when he died. The rest of the cast is boring. Batista is likable

They really need to do something with Gamora, she lacks a distinct personality/role compared to the other Guardians

IS HE COOL?

Go home James, it's 5/10 at best.

So is it good or bad? Can Sup Forums decide already?

The movie is shit except for Yondu. If you go see it, cherish the moments you see Yondu because you know it'll be good and brace yourself for the moment where he isn't on screen because they're shit.

It's good, definitely a solid sequel.

YEAH HE'S PRETTY COOL.

MEDIOCRE

found it really disappointing, plot was messy, villain motivation was weird. Worst bit was the jokes- in the first film it was more of a natural joking setup, in this one everyone other line was a blurted out crappy joke that caused some awkward silences in the cinema i went to:

its not ripe x4
groot brings the wrong item x7
not got tape? tape? who's got tape x5
taserface,taserface,taserface

it kinda felt like the script told a joke,then overly repeated it with no payoff 5/10