Original Goblin Mask design for Spiderman 2002

youtube.com/watch?v=2fXAGC_B2Ys

Those animatronic expressions are so brilliant for something almost 20 years old

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FInYxXpbJMg
youtube.com/watch?v=0KW8stZ2jSQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It looks a thousand times better. Why didn't they use it?

Some Jew exec from Sony saw it and accused it of being antisemitic?

You joking, right? It's nowhere near modern day animatronic miracles we have.

Example?

>for something almost 20 years old

Modern day animatronics, you know? I did a pretty great leap foreword. Many such leaps.

They had to go BACK TO FORMULA

youtube.com/watch?v=FInYxXpbJMg

Yes, this is actually anamatronic

>implying we can't post shit from the 80s that looks better

It looks like Rudy Giulliani

>Why didn't they use it?
too scary for children and Dafoe said it was too comfortable to wear it. Still so much better than the mask they had in the actual movie that looks cheesy

There are some things even Raimi can't get away with.

>develop gliders and flight suit for US military contract
>"fuck it lets throw in a cool goblin mask too"

Raimi's line was always that he couldn't believe that Osborne would take the time and effort to put on this elaborate makeup/mask instead of a helmet, but I've always suspected that it was because they couldn't match the CG version of the character. The simpler metallic helmet design would be easier/cheaper to animate (and therefore blend with the live action version).

They could have easily used this mask for a nightmare scene that Parker has about the Goblin

>James Cameron shoved his shitty movie, which he still hopes to turn into a shitty franchise, into Disney World.

toppest kek

>the puppets already look better than his "groundbreaking cgi"

>too scary for children

Fuck that. What a ridiculous reason, he's a villain.

>Dafoe said it was too comfortable to wear it.

I'm assuming that was meant to be uncomfortable in which case he should've been told "tough shit." I like Dafoe but that is a seriously pussy excuse from a man being paid millions of dollars for playing pretend.

Raimi said it didn't fit in with the world they were trying to create, because the script called for Norman Osborne to be out of costume at various points throughout the movie after having become Green Goblin, which meant it had to be a mask, and there is no justifiable reason for the army to make a mask that looked like that.

>which he still hopes to turn into a shitty franchise

It's happening whether we like it or not. They're going to cram Avatar down our throats for the next decade despite the original seemingly already being forgotten for everything except the box office it generated.

>that original costume
>that mask
Fucking so much better than the film version. I wish I could take Goblin seriously but I can't when I re-watch Spiderman. Goblin's design is so goofy like a kid's movie (which I guess it was meant to be) but the original design would have made the movie so much better

Still, Dafoe owned the role and actually made the goofy costume okayish with him inside it

Honestly just painting Willem Dafoe's face green would have sufficed

This. The got the creepiest dude in Hollywood to play the villain, then put him in a plastic, unmoving power rangers mask. It makes no sense.

>and there is no justifiable reason for the army to make a mask that looked like that.
which is why they should have had Normon re-design a Goblin mask just for the hell of it

>starts out wearing the basic Goblin mask
>second act is him in the creepier Goblin mask
It's literally poetry of how demonic he has become and would have been great

>3rd act is a creepy Goblin mask talking to Parker about raping Mary Jane
Can you imagine how spooky and disturbing it would have been?

Did they give an in-universe reason why the mask looked like that? It's been years since I've seen the movie and can't remember

Norman had a bunch of masks in his house, he clearly had a thing for them. So he made a mask for himself

>"Hey, Parker, can your friend Spidey come out to play?"

You could have had him craft it himself after developing his split personality. Fuck, make it happen on Halloween where he starts speaking to a mask in a window and then goes home and crafts his own. Have one of the board execs refer to him as a twisted, little goblin when they oust him from the board and gives him the idea to become a goblin.

There's plenty of ways around that. If you have something that much better than the alternative then you should be creative enough to manufacture a way to accommodate it. Sacrificing such a good costume for the sake of it not fitting in with a military theme, which maybe 5 people would question where the mask came from, seems like a cop out excuse.

No way would Hollywood allow Raimi to make this type of mask in a kids movie

>tfw this scene was scrapped and been replaced

>which is why they should have had Normon re-design a Goblin mask just for the hell of it

I mean, technically that's exactly what happened. The original suit was that purple thing with the basic helmet, then he modified it. Granted, I agree, the original mask was a lot cooler. I think part of the problem is super-hero movies at the time were so streamlined and basic looking like X-Men. Producers wanted things to be as non-comic book-y as possible.

The weird al song was right, Dafoe looked scarier without the mask on

>Producers wanted things to be as non-comic book-y as possible.
I prefer this actually. It is why The Dark Knight is one of the best super hero movies ever because it doesn't feel like a comic book.

But still, they should have gone with the Goblin-Alien like demon design instead of having him in the military thing all way through

Deleted scene?

Will we get a Spiderman extended cut? They are releasing a Spiderman 3 extended cut (about time) and since they have done one with Spiderman 2, you'd think they would do one for Spiderman 1 as well

You be surprised how many scenes we still haven't seen

1 & 2 don't need ones
3 however was desperate for another cut with all the deleted scenes, many of which were important

I have no idea what Raimi was thinking with the final cut, except maybe sabotage Sony for forcing Venom on him

After the horrible Batman and Robin, you can tell how panicked the Hollywood execs were when they learnt that people wanted to make a live adaptation of Spiderman so yeah I do understand them trying to make it as realistic as possible after the recent bombings of the previous Batman movies.

But thanks to Spiderman and Nolan's Batman Begins - they made super hero movies actually good. Yeah we got Keaton's Batman but that was decades ago

People on here like to troll and say Snyder is like this new age director but nope: Nolan's Dark Knight movies (not counting TDKR cos that was horrible) helped achieve so much with super hero movies.

The more you can make a super hero movie the most realistic then the better it is.

I absolutely hate the CGI in Batman V Superman. So fucking horrible. The 3rd act with Doomsday shouldn't be in there. Nolan knew what he was doing with all his practicals. Just a shame his TDKR was such a bad movie apart from the ending that I liked how they ended it but Bane was a horrible lead villain. I wish Ledger didn't die and he was in it alongside Bane.

IMPRESSIVE

>I have no idea what Raimi was thinking with the final cut
Yeah Spiderman 3 is a strange movie

>Really good emotional scenes with Sandman
>Some okay scenes with Peter, MJ and Harry (altho a lot of it is pretty cheesy)
>WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THE EMO PARKING AND "LET'S DO THE TWIST"
The guy was a madman with making Spiderman 3 have that

>You could have had him craft it himself after developing his split personality.

this is what i was thinking...they had military contracts so maybe it was a separate shapeshifting mask (like mission impossible) and osborne modified it...or maybe do a jekyl/hyde thing and the "mask" is actually flesh/bone...i think they really planned on using it which is why they got an actor with a goblin face to begin with...i really think it was meant to accentuate dafoes natural features

I hope 3.1 (if true) really cuts down on emo peter & focuses on the cut black spidey scenes

>Honestly just painting Willem Dafoe's face green would have sufficed
Have you seen Inland Empire? Dafoe is fucking creepy in that

The Dark Knight is absolute shite because it doesn't feel like a comic book. It took itself waaaay too seriously for a film about two grown men playing dress up and fighting each other. Raimi's Spiderflicks work because they are campy, they are cheesy. Same with Del Toro's Hellboy. They feel like comic books to me.

>The more you can make a super hero movie the most realistic then the better it is.

I fundamentally disagree and I can't for the life of me see how you regard Spiderman as "realistic."

There's tons of deleted scenes

>More scenes of the love triangle between Harry and MJ
>Lots of Sandman deleted scenes - 1 where he talks to Eddie
But yeah I hope we get a lot of the Venom/black spidey scenes that were cut

disgusting and awful

>Lots of Sandman deleted scenes - 1 where he talks to Eddie
Here it is

>comic accurate black suit

Goddamit Raimi...

Another Sandman deleted scene where it looks like Sandman makes himself in a castle to be near his daugher

Deleted mirror scene where Parker gets spooked by Venom that causes him to pull the costume off

I always felt like Spider-Man 1 was a little plain.

I wondered why he never did anything interesting with the sand power... That's pretty cool though.

If he is the castle then what body part is his daughter fondling there?

there's something so devilish about the way he smiles, it's so unnatural, this is the way a vampire or a demon looks at his prey. probably the creepiest smile on Hollywood

Did Spiderman's mask ever get damaged like it did in first movie here in 3? I forgot

> The Dark Knight is absolute shite because it doesn't feel like a comic book.

It's fine that you didn't like it, but you can't honestly think that's anything close to an objective statement. It is one of the most universally acclaimed comic book movies of all time. Are you saying that nearly every single human is wrong but you?

I swear Venom took it off in the final fight

But they reshot the final fight because originally it had Gwen, which made more sense since she was Eddie's GF & Peter cucked him, but Raimi thought MJ AGAIN would be better & reshot the whole thing

I'm saying it was shite.

I like this pic

Why not just say 15 instead of "almost 20"? Do you always round up when you're trying to prove a stupid point? None of us need to feel older.

fucking hell
venom was such a wasted opportunity
the whole movie should have been centered in the symbiotic corruption
>alien organism lands on earth
>peter fights his best friend thirsty of revenge arc
>peter gets new powers
>the predatory instinct of rage changes him for worse
>he drops the new power
>this other guy gets corrupted
>we get the real venom a big bulky monstrosity
>spiderman gets rekt by venom
>but he gets allied with harry connor
this sets up the scenario for the conclusion in spiderman 4:
>carnage is introduced
>shit could go anywhere from there

IF they do symbiotes right on the new spiderman they could be forgiven
but that's not going to happen

yeah really, they coulda just thrown him in a hood or cap like the comics and let the guy give his maniac grin

Maybe the extended cut (released in June) may fix this

>tfw they might surprise us with some cancelled Spiderman 4 content
doubt it

Rumor has it that after 2 Spiderman movies, Spiderman will go back to Sony who will have the full rights and Spidey won't be in the MCU anymore (Thank God I hope this happens). Could we maybe see Raimi make a Spiderman 4 with some hope?

>The more you can make a super hero movie the most realistic then the better it is.

I don't know, that works better with some characters than others. A realistic Batman works because it's just a movie about human beings opposing other human beings. I don't really see how you can do a realistic Spider-Man. The goblin suit is a fairly superficial aesthetic choice, but it's still a genetically altered super person flying around on a hoverboard. It seems kind of arbitrary, but it makes a certain amount of sense. It goes back to the old axiom that an audience will accept the impossible but not the improbable. Nobody cares that Superman can fly and shoot lasers out of his head, but everybody says it's ridiculous that he can fool his closest friends and lover by taking his glasses off. It's the same with GG. People will believe that he has super strength and a jet glider, but no one would believe the military would create a weird spooky goblin mask for no reason.

Literally the closest thing to Raimiposting. This thread is shit, and is actually discussing the film.

>I can't for the life of me see how you regard Spiderman as "realistic."
You do realize there was a guy who got cut by a tree and his skin started to slowly mutate and turn into wood and he became a "Treeman".

If a comic book character can turn into Sand and in real life, a man can mutate into a tree due to something happening in his DNA that causes his flesh to turn into wood - then comic book movies are actually realistic surprisingly

is this how the Curse Greatwood got born?

I would like to see 4 with Tobey

Old Logan so why not old Peter?

Never played Dark Souls so idk what that is but do look up "Treeman syndrome". It is very real

TRY AND GET BILL NYE TO TELL ME HOW THIS WORKS!

>Spider-Man was released to US theatres on May 3, 2002
IT'S STILL MAY 3RD FOR ANOTHER HOUR AND A HALF ON THE EAST COAST WHICH MEANS IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE 15TH ANNIVERSARY OF MY FAVORITE CAPEKINO
youtube.com/watch?v=0KW8stZ2jSQ

2017 marks the 10 year anniversary of Spiderman 3

unfortunately the real story is far more disgusting and realistic
>Mr Koswara suffered from Lewandowsky-Lutz dysplasia, a disease which results in uncontrolled human papilloma virus (HPV) infections and the growth of scaly warts resembling tree bark.

dude basically had an STD all over his body and those are gigantic warts on him

And as soon as May 3rd ends you get to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Spider-Man 3.

>Old Logan so why not old Peter?
Peter would look great like this older and with a beard

You know how Sony are making a separate Venom movie that's not to do with the MCU? They should get Tobey for a role.

If they are not allowed to use Spiderman since Spiderman is in the MCU at moment, they can all Peter's character another name and just have him as the lead (making hints that he is some super hero).

Would be 10/10 brilliant

Not just 2017, May 4th 2017. The anniversaries are back-to-back.

No ifs, ands or buts, I would kill myself if I had this condition.

Anyone seen Creepshow? The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill segment in particular. Guy turns into a plant. This guy is like the real life equivalent except he's turning into a tree.

DAM I missed it since it came out May 3rd

he's dead

It looks exactly the way it should in the comics but there is no reason so intricate a mask that can convey any conventional facial feature would be in use by Norm.

Original Robbie Rotten design for LazyTown (not for the faint of heart).

Sounds right.

Did the STTree consume him or did he kill himself?

the first one

the drawers

I WOULDN'T WANNA FIGHT ME NIETHER

CYA CHUMP

HEY BUDDY

Can we all agree that Spiderman 1-3 are actually the best and honestly the only good capeshit ever made aside from The Dark Knight and Ironman 1.

That said, I think Spiderman 2 is the absolute best.

Toby was the best spiderman.

Throw in the Hellboy movies and we've got a deal.

>not including Tim Burton's Batman

CONFUSINGLY LARGE
CONFUSINGLY LARGE
CONFUSINGLY LARGE
CONFUSINGLY LARGE

Looks like the same company that made the based Goro anamatronic for the Mortal Kombat movie.

Burton's Batman has the worst Joker. Nicholson was a horrible choice and Basinger screaming is so annoying

Movie tries to be dark but then has bad humor that doesnt go well