>But that doesn't count as faith at all

>lol God is an unfalsifiable hypothesis
>lives his life as if he has falsified God

>be atheist
>lecture others on their faith

>Morality is subjective mate
>B-but please don't kill me sir, I have a family

I really, really like this thread.

It's a funny thing, if they were so sure that "God is dead", why do they bother talking about it so much? It's either extreme intellectual hubris or they are trying to convince themselves of their own ideas!

>We have transcended the need for God
>Has nothing to replace Him with

>>believes empiricism is the only method to obtain truth

>> relies on computer models to "prove" gravity waves.

"Oh so you believe that some people are biologically superior and there must be massive disparities between certain groups?"
"NO YOU BIGOT THAT'S COMPLETELY DIFFERENT"

>Science is the only way to reliably find truth
>Can't reliably demonstrate this with science

>lol mate just be logical
>Confuses science with logic

>>believes empiricism can prove everything

>> but but but in the court of law evidence isn't empirical.

>Confident in your faith
>Always bitching about atheists

Posting in an epic thread

>i dont need a sky daddy to teach me morals

>drinks/smokes/takes drugs/has casual sex/treats people poorly

This is why I am agnostic.

>Empathy and compassion are natural mate
>Murder is not

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not convinced that there isn't a supreme being that created us.

But believing that there is an invisible, omnipotent authority figure is just the remnants of your infantile need to have a parent. Especially when he is especially interested in what YOU'RE doing, and what's happening to you.

If there is a god, he is much more complex and distant than abrahamic sandnigger religions are saying.

I was interested for a while, I've stopped talking about it now.

>>believes logic can prove everything is true

>> Russel's paradox

>>continues to refuse to accept that 'truth' is a matter of base assumptions.

>>refuses to acknowledge base assumptions can't be proven with empiricism and are thus unscientific by definition.

>wow you just blindly believe the bible? Hahaha you're so stupid
>of course i believe what they taught me to believe in school
>they only knew they'd have me for 16 years of course they wouldn't brainwash me why would they?
>space is real are you stupid look at these pictures provided by NASA how could they benefit from lying to us?
>its real XDD just look outside at night, there r lights in the sky that proves it!!

M8, are you autistic or something?

>Free-will does not exist
>You just choose to believe it

Atheists are scum and degenerate hedonists, why shouldn't we want that slime removed from society?

>not believing in a warrior deity that has no compassion
>but muh morality
#killallfagsnow

>lol mate your mind's not real
>you're just imagining things

>omniscient god
>free will
pick one.

>confident in their faith of no God
>btches about people with faith in God

You can want whatever you want bby.
Not like you have the balls to do anything about it.

Yea, but what Christians believe is that he is too complex for our understanding, and is beyond being even qualified as "complex". Thus, they have all those "mysteries" that atheists hate so much.

*tips fedora*

You can lack belief in an actual God being and still be interested in or find value in religion.

>Believe in evolution
>Don't believe in global warming

I don't really have any faith, I don't think it takes faith to be an atheist. There absolutely could be a god, but I don't think I'll ever know for sure. I think being agnostic is for fags, but I guess that's what you'd call it. Anyway, I think people with faith often misunderstand what it takes to be an atheist.

>what christians believe
>christianity is one person/idea

noice

Please explain how they are mutually exclusive.

What is math? Why even add numbers in your head if you can't count them on your fingers?
Come on Sup Forums, you aren't all this fucking stupid.

There is no way that elementary particles are the beginning of everything. There has to be more.

>I don't really have any faith, I don't think it takes faith to be an atheist. There absolutely could be a god, but I don't think I'll ever know for sure

Do you think you need to know if there is one for sure in order to believe in God?

Faith doesn't make sense if you have definite knowledge of something

>my perception of reality is the default
>if you want to deviate from that perception of reality, the burden of proof is on you

omniscience not only implies but demands determinism. your fate is written in the book of life. if you are fated, if your life is plotted out and known to its every extremity, then free will is non-existent. if i know exactly what you're going to do in every movement you make and every thought you will ever have, and i created you, and specifically created the universe around you to the minutest detail, then you have no choices, no free will.

Yes. I do. If I allowed myself to believe things that I can't prove, then I'll be more easily manipulated by liars.
Besides, believing often requires more work and more ceremony. Why should I waste my time with something that COULD be true, when I might be better served worshipping lord zenu and getting my theeton levels checked.

It's evolutionarily the default. Religion has throughout evolutionary history been inseparable from stable societies

But the burden of proof (which you may decide to follow or not) is on all claims. Including negative ones

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophic_burden_of_proof#Proving_a_negative

>Yes. I do. If I allowed myself to believe things that I can't prove, then I'll be more easily manipulated by liars.

Are all religious believers liars?

>Besides, believing often requires more work and more ceremony. Why should I waste my time with something that COULD be true,

Because we are socially and individually designed to be religious and it adds stability to the mind

>when I might be better served worshipping lord zenu and getting my theeton levels checked.

Christianity is a lot less perverted and more cohesive religion than Scientism (a sort of pseudo-science/ pseudo-religion)

claiming to know that which cannot be known is a deception, so yes, they're all liars. none of you plebs have any concept of faith. faith is the hope that these things exist in spite of evidence otherwise. you have never faced hardships in your beliefs. i am a true deist, you have bemused yourself with the most famous cuckold story of all time.

>are they liars
They can't all be right. I don't have the Devine logic to tell who is right
>Adds stability
Citation needed.
>less perverted
Sounds like a matter of perspective. Catholic priests seem pretty perverted to me.

>claiming to know that which cannot be known is a deception, so yes, they're all liars.

God may or may not be known. You can neither limit the attributes of God nor expand them knowingly

>none of you plebs have any concept of faith.
>faith is the hope that these things exist in spite of evidence otherwise.

Exactly. Hope keeps the heart beating and the lungs breathing. Just so you know

Either conscious or unconscious hope

>you have never faced hardships in your beliefs. i am a true deist, you have bemused yourself with the most famous cuckold story of all time.

Ok my fatalist masonic friend how many pages have you read from the Bible

>don't be a muslim
>can't stop talking about what Islam preaches

>hope keeps the heart beating
Oh go write a poem your daft faggot.

>They can't all be right. I don't have the Devine logic to tell who is right

You may be given the Divine knowledge of that if that God wills it upon you

Prayer is a way to connect theistically to God

>Citation needed.

I could dig up some psych journal articles, but that's beside the point. I'm trying to prove to you that you can't know everything only through science

>Sounds like a matter of perspective. Catholic priests seem pretty perverted to me.

Catholics have been secularly and masonically corrupted post-Vatican II

Go fix your mind you depressed fuck

Read through it thouroughly. It's all yours, friend.

how many? all of them. how many did i retain? who knows. i mean you religious people in this thread. what true hardships have you faced in the name of your god? besides, that is irrelevant. what is relevant is the act of assigning attributes to a god, and acting with such hubris as to speak for him. atheists are nihilists without morals, naturally, but i fail to see how the theists are any better when their own words are the law of the Lord. I have the utmost faith in an overarching morality, and it has brought me to deism. i do not claim to have knowledge of this god, however, i do have faith in his foundation of morals. i do not claim to have access to morality, however i have faith in the hsystems that have arisen by my faith. as an individual, that is the strongest position that i can hold.

>You don't like the LGBT? FUCKING BIGOT SHITLORD!

>you may be given Devine knowledge
So is it knowledge or faith? If somebody told me they had Devine knowledge, I would tell them they were full of shit. If I thought I knew something that nobody else knew because it occurred to me spontaneously, I wouldn't be quick to believe that. The human brain is prone to errors.
>prove to you
, said the theist.

And it is still a matter of perspective to decide who is perverted and who isn't. The farangees in Star Trek find it perverted to clothe women.

>what is relevant is the act of assigning attributes to a god, and acting with such hubris as to speak for him. atheists are nihilists without morals, naturally, but i fail to see how the theists are any better when their own words are the law of the Lord.

The difference is we assert a Law of God. You deists are just naturalists in disguise

You only put a label on the (indemonstrably universal) Laws of Nature and you claim them from God

>I have the utmost faith in an overarching morality, and it has brought me to deism. i do not claim to have knowledge of this god, however, i do have faith in his foundation of morals.

What morals can you deists have my mate? Your God does not interfere human moral affairs

>i do not claim to have access to morality, however i have faith in the hsystems that have arisen by my faith. as an individual, that is the strongest position that i can hold.

Describe those systems

>So is it knowledge or faith? If somebody told me they had Devine knowledge, I would tell them they were full of shit.

That would just be your emotional reaction. They may well not be full of shit. You can't tell

Faith is when you believe someone who claims Divine Knowledge. Divine Knowledge is knowledge directly given by God to you yourself

>If I thought I knew something that nobody else knew because it occurred to me spontaneously, I wouldn't be quick to believe that.

The number of people agreeing with you cannot affect the claim you're making

logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/24/Appeal-to-Common-Belief

>The human brain is prone to errors.

But it can also be capable of truth

>>prove to you
>said the theist.

A theist can use science just as well my friend. The scientific method is not dogma and is not exclusive to people wearing very fashionable hats

>And it is still a matter of perspective to decide who is perverted and who isn't. The farangees in Star Trek find it perverted to clothe women.

Perverted as in corrupted in its structure. It's an objective phenomenon whereby the structure of a belief-system (or a physical system) is damaged and sharply modified

>be muslim/not-muslim
>get killed by muslim

you assert a law of your percieved god.
as i said, i can only speak for my own faith. generalizing my beliefs is pithy, but useless. i have seen the depths of nihilism, and of my own accord i have seen that killings, for example, are immoral. they are anathema to me, and thus i feel as an individual that they must be immoral. as a deist, i cannot say that my god does not interfere in my life. i also cannot say what effects he has on yours. i don't feign access to true morality to control my fellow man. this is what i mean by dfaith not being comprehensible to you. i have faith that my god might guide me to uphold morality that has grown in my heart over the sorrow that i see every day. whether or not this is true is a substantial point of hardship in my life. to fight this doubt i rely on my god, but show him the respect he deserves by not using him as an excuse to control others, to pretend to know the workings of him, and certainly not acting haughty towards those who are heretical to their own faiths. i understand you have your guiding forces, and i have mine. you may call them naturalistic, but i would posit that as the god is presumably the creator of nature, it may have some of his attributes.

>Lol u dont believe in god u cant be moral :^)
>morals r 4 squares lol t. Regards nu-atheist

Both are inferior to the overman.

Stop wall of texting me for fuck's sake

>omniscience not only implies but demands determinism.
No it doesn't. You need to study more theology, or have some one who isn't retarded study it with you because you obviously don't understand the basics.

>no it doesn't
you're totally right, how could i have not seen this before. checkmate, me.

What did everyone do before the bible?

Checkmate fags

>emotional reaction
Skepticism isn't emotional. Like I said, somebody could lie to me about Devine knowledge and I would be their fool.

I didn't appeal to common belief. I wouldn't believe my own spontaneous divine inspiration because my senses have failed me before, and because I know people with faith have been driven to microwave their children and drink poisoned kool-aid
>also truth
Yeah, but falsehoods too. So I'm skeptical

Hypocrites.
The entire population of everywhere.
Deal with it and remind yourself of that fact the next time someone is telling you how much they hate rapists and pedophiles while getting over descriptive about the acts they perform.

This pretty much. The ancient Greeks don't seem that lost and perverted to me. Sumerians either.

it's very simple. you have your individual god, i have mine. your perception of god very likely wouldn't match the perception of another person in your religion. where does this difference come from, i wonder.

i at least say that my god is my own, and leave it at that.

>i have seen the depths of nihilism, and of my own accord i have seen that killings, for example, are immoral.

What do you mean "of your own accord"?

>they are anathema to me, and thus i feel as an individual that they must be immoral.

So you get morality from your fee-fees. Great. Let's all just do what feels right

Good luck building a society with that

>as a deist, i cannot say that my god does not interfere in my life.

That's exactly what deism means dipshit. A non-interventionist God (vs theism - an interventionist God)

>i don't feign access to true morality to control my fellow man. this is what i mean by dfaith not being comprehensible to you.

If you cannot control your fellow man by morality, he can only be controlled by strength alone

>i have faith that my god might guide me to uphold morality that has grown in my heart over the sorrow that i see every day. whether or not this is true is a substantial point of hardship in my life.

Then you're not a deist. A deistic God does not interfere

>to fight this doubt i rely on my god, but show him the respect he deserves by not using him as an excuse to control others,

How the fuck do you know that's what he wants you to do? You could only know this from Him or you have faith that you do

>to pretend to know the workings of him, and certainly not acting haughty towards those who are heretical to their own faiths.

Once you've started to believe in God you're already pretending to know something about Him

>i understand you have your guiding forces, and i have mine. you may call them naturalistic, but i would posit that as the god is presumably the creator of nature, it may have some of his attributes.

A society can't possibly work like that. "You just do what you think is right and I'll just follow what I define as right"

Because some day, one of us will think the other should fucking listen to him. Or else he'll bash his fucking skull in

>God makes the universe
>God knows everything
>Therefore at the moment of creation God knew how everything would turn out
People are the result of their upbringing and seemingly random stuff that could be calculated by an omniscient being. So you were late for work because of a snowstorm? God fully intended that to happen when he created the universe because he set up the situation that would lead to that snowstorm.

>Skepticism isn't emotional.

Academic Scepticism is self-refuting. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-refuting_idea#Philosophical_skepticism

It's faith-based special pleading

>Like I said, somebody could lie to me about Devine knowledge and I would be their fool.

They might also be telling you the truth

>I wouldn't believe my own spontaneous divine inspiration because my senses have failed me before,

So would they fail you every single time?

>and because I know people with faith have been driven to microwave their children and drink poisoned kool-aid

And scientists have sown children together for the sake of empirical knowledge

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josef_Mengele#Human_experimentation

>Yeah, but falsehoods too. So I'm skeptical

You can't be sceptical of claimed truths and not be sceptical of claimed falsities as well

People may be telling you the truth when many others say they're lies

i think i understand your concept of god. it's not a god that you feel innately connected to, but rather a god of utility.

i don't think of my god as a convenience. anyhow, you're right, deism isn't a great word for my beliefs, but neither is theism. i don't believe because it's useful in building a society. i believe because my foundation in morality has led me to believe. there must be a god, as without objectivity, there is no truth, all is nihilistic bullshit.

as for what i know or don't know about my god, you have no right to say.

in the end, you enjoy the inevitable utility monster your god will become, in the society that you're chasing after.

>as for what i know or don't know about my god, you have no right to say.

I have every right to claim my beliefs in God and together with others to constitute a religion around it. And to spread it and unify as many people as possible

>in the end, you enjoy the inevitable utility monster your god will become, in the society that you're chasing after.

God has created us as social animals. If belief in Him is not necessary for the maintenance of our societies, then we would not have perpetually tried to find Him all through our evolutionary history

Scepticism is totally antithetical to faith bru. I don't have the time at work to read your Wikipedia article, but it can't show that doubt is synonymous with faith. C'mon dog, you're just playing I'm rubber and your glue.

You keep saying it could be true, but if it could also be false then I'm not going to flip a fucking coin to decide. There are so many people in the world that are going to tell you they know the truth. Choosing any one of these conflicting "truths" above the rest is complete guesswork. Nothing rational about faith. It cannot be justified.

I live in a state of perpetual doubt, but that doesn't bother me anymore. I think theists are uncomfortable with ignorance. The way around ignorance for a theist is self deception.

>atheist who doesn't do those things

WELL OF COURSE THAT'S NOT A REBUTTAL IT'S SO MUCH DEEPER THAN THAT GEEZ

Face it, Godfags. You've got this whole pendulum-like system going where if you get smacked one way by a decent anti-theism argument, you just swing the other way and use the inverted kind of argument.

"Atheists are generally less morally sound, just look at them!"

"No they aren't, look at criminal and charitable statistics, look at great people who were atheists"

"Okay, well, those people lacked deep appreciation for the goodness of God despite their chance to do so, so they were kind of deeply guilty despite not being a brutal menace!"

"But is that type of thing really so important compared to your code of conduct and the quality of your conduct?"

"Harumph, well, just look at how bitter you are about God, that's so damn evil! You really deserve hell!"

"What the fuck is moral about telling a person to go to hell!"

"It's deeper than that, stupid! You just don't get it! I bet you'll go lie on your taxes next year because of your atheism, you dumb fuck!"

"Do you really believe that, or are you just being mean and getting off on that?"

"Really, bro? God is so much bigger and greater than me. Just look at statistics about kindness and civility. The proof of God is totally in that."

"Those statistics are biased!"

"Says the fucking atheist, go tip your fedora."

"I don't like being bottled in with that stereotype."

"Yeah well God didn't like it when you mocked him, you proud now fella?"

I don't even think people believe in God because they are superstitious about mystical powers being laden within reality or anything like that. Theism allows you to just be as dickish as you can possibly be. Not evil so much as just massively cunty.

sounds eerily like a naturalistic explanation to me, odd coming from someone who was criticizing naturalism earlier.

and i said that you have no right to say what i know or don't know about my god.

you know what the utility monster is, right? i think when religions are products of utility, of creating a society, they have no place pretending that they are intent on divinity itself. you of all people should know that your god does not want you to unify, remember the tower of babel.

if you're not christian, then, well i have to ask what religion you are a part of.

I don't have faith one way or the other, and I'm not better than anyone. Just more human filth.

>Lectures others about morality
>Lacks any of their own

This is a copypasta right?
You're not actually this autistic...
Right?

>sounds eerily like a naturalistic explanation to me, odd coming from someone who was criticizing naturalism earlier.

I'm a rationalist. And I'm just taking naturalism to its unavoidable conclusion. See pic

>and i said that you have no right to say what i know or don't know about my god.

I have every right to either listen to or disregard what you're saying, by my own faith. And by my religious group's faith

>you know what the utility monster is, right? i think when religions are products of utility, of creating a society, they have no place pretending that they are intent on divinity itself. you of all people should know that your god does not want you to unify, remember the tower of babel.

If God is useless then He literally has no purpose as our God

God must have human use for faith in Him to have purpose

>if you're not christian, then, well i have to ask what religion you are a part of.

I'm Orthodox Christian

this user is correct

Time is just an illusion. The universe is one big static 4D object. everything that is, has been, and ever will be already exists. We just can experience it all at once due to our 3 dimensional perspective, so instead we see slices of the universe,

now you yet it! your life is virtually meaningless. welcome to the club

>not knowing the difference between faith and conviction

Just bookmark the article and read it when you get home from work

Bro, do you think it takes faith to doubt something?

>M-MAO-SAMA! W-WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?

yep, as i thought, your belief that your rationality has any place dictating divinity, or the lord is the ultimate hubris. i truly hope you look into the utility monster.

feel free to disregard my individual god. that has no bearing on my faith.

you obviously misinterpret the tower of babel then. god is not a tool for you to control others or to build a society (the god of the bible obviously) if you genuinely believe that god's purpose is to make the material life convenient for you and your peers, then you have gravely misunderstood hus message. Lucifer holds dominion over the earth. Paradise is only attainable in the afterlife.

you're falling prey to the utility monster and your own hubris. to give up god if he is useless to you sounds like something a commie would say. or an atheist. or worse, a nihilist.

The idea that science reveals objective truth about the world is pure faith

You can rationally know God (by reason) or irrationally try to known God (by faith alone)

I prefer both to be honest

argument [ ] not an argument [X]

It takes faith to believe (and be sure) that nothing can be known (for sure)

>mass deism

a facilitator of stable societies [ ]
not a facilitator of stable societies [X]

I just don't care anymore, human life has no real purpose

>confusing a belief in a God or higher power with a belief in an organized religion

>believing that society is more important than the christian god
heh. good luck, heretic. no wonder people have a tough time believing in divinity, when people who have hollow fairweather beliefs like you are the only ones to defend it.

*without God

this guy gets it.