ITT: overrated films that are actually garbage

post and give reasons

>this was a complete waste of my time and I got so little out of the 3hrs I spent on it, I didnt even feel anything at the end

But it took 12 years to make!

i found it great especially since i had no childhood experiences

Sup Forums hated this the day it came out

What happens in this movie?

>this was a complete waste of my time and I got so little out of the 3hrs I spent on it, I didnt even feel anything at the end

NOT A REASON

stuff happens but its actually nothing

huh

This movie really hit home with me but I understand if you're OP and your silver spoon-in-ass childhood was nothing like it I can see why you hated it.

But really the last 3rd of this movie really eats ass.

That boy will never do anything again.

Linklater stole 12 years of his life.

the pacing was really bad, stuff happens but I never felt any emotional connection to the boy, so it might as well be nothing

but maybe thats what happens when you make a mememovie

it could be way better, it lost me halfway

Worst movie of all time.

I think hes in that new emma watson and tom hanks movie

The Man from Earth is the most overrated movie in the history of filmmaking and it's an OBJECTIVELY bad movie.
The sheer disproportion of the clueless normie praising and the actual quality of the film is baffling.

I'll post a whole list of flaws if anyone is interested.

Go for it famalam.

>bad pacing
>trying too hard to be "filmy"
>Feels more like family guy than the simpsons

Fargo
Forrest Gump
No Country For Old Men
Inception
Interstellar

If it's the movie about that immortal fag in a cabin with his friends talking please do.

Eraserhead

ya new and differant are terrible he should have a cgi fight fo rthe climax

I felt nothing for boyhood. It was semi interesting and very boring however the older man I sat next to in the theater was in tears. I remember this very well because his arm was also inside his jacket and I remember being terrified he was going to pull a gun and start killing people starting with me.

>inception
wrong

>avatar
eh, it did what it needed to do, it was as popcorn bluray kino as a mass normie movie could be

>liar
you really love your little CGI shitfests don't you?
>avatar
It was trash, unoriginal, thoughtless, brainless, soulless

The Holy Mountain

>"Inception" wrong
Your arguments are simply awesome, beyond the human intelligence

>your silver spoon-in-ass childhood was nothing like it
That boy's family is rich by most countries' standards.

T H I C C

watch that edge boi

not every movie needs to be some inaccessible foreign language arthouse movie

You're easily impressed, aren't you?

give a legit critique of inception besides "i hate it because normies love it"

no im mature enough to know that you need some variety in movies. Both inception and avatar are perfectly acceptable in their own field, and both broke new ground.

It titles itself as definitively about growing up a boy, but strips those years of all the passion, excitement, anger, lust, stupidity, malaise, confusion etc that define it to anyone who actually was a teenage boy once. Those huge emotions felt so strongly as a kid are what make people come back to those years all the time. Linklater just makes it all so lifeless and replaces feeling with plot points from a lifetime movie

It just puzzles me how the man who wrote some of the greatest films about young people could get it so wrong here

>avatar
>perfectly acceptable
Literally every line of dialogue is cliche'd, tough military people from hollywood.
>broke new ground
It's LITERALLY pocahontas and dacing with wolves. It's no better than the Star Wars Prequel--only for its use of CGI. Avatar is not variety, it's trash for the lowest common denominator.

Inception is a movie that is awfully written. Even the prequels have awesome dialogues compared to what people say is "Nolan's Masterpiece". Let's talk abot Nolan, this guy didn't do anything as a director in Inception right? All the movie is generic shot after generic shot, the director doesn't take any risks. The movie idea is great, but it's simply bad done. Ellen Page's character function is to ask the question the audience have, and Jos. Gordon-Levitt's one is answering that questions, Tom Hardy and the asian dude that hires them only because saving the day. I give Leonardo DiCaprio no shit because he acted well a shitty script. Inception so-called greatness are the practical effects and the CGI. That movie is the best example of how to ruin an good idea.

That ending plot twist really brings nothing to the film to be honest, it's useless and it's Nolan way of saying "Here, thing about it, because the rest of the film you don't have to think, Jos. Gordon Levitt will do it for you"

>every line of dialogue is cliche'd

...avatar wasnt made to be a philosophical flick you hipster dumbass. It was made to entertain, It was made for spectacle. And it was made to push 3D as far as it could be. And it delivered on what it needed to do, its a visual milestone. The story was accessible for global audiences and emotional without being too massively dumbed down.

Entertaining doesn't mean badly written. Global audiences doesn't mean rip off. You can write dialogue that is not cliche without making it philosophical.
It's an absolute "nothing" of a film, since it's so devoid of any substance beyond its visuals.

Tarantino is one of the master of the hacks; only the last scene is decent

pretty sure pocahontas doesnt have spaceships and eastern philosophy soul transfer reincarnation themes.

Some parts are typical hollywood, but it is a james cameron movie , what else you expect?

Really? Why?

Fight Club

>Muh edgy kino

>it's trash, what did you expect
A good movie? Saying a director is trash is not an excuse.
>settling

OP said give reasons.

I am pretty sure that's Fincher's worst (with Alien 3) but I wouldn't say it's complete garbage?

The entire Mia segment is fantastic and makes the movie for me

>worst
That's The Game.

I liked most of it Because is closely paralleled my childhood but the last part he just becomes a typical uninteresting normalfag.

>guy is known for fish and chips
>orders fish and chips
>gets a 9/10 fish and chips

its not haute cuisine, this guy made Titanic and Aliens, are you expecting 2001 space odyssey or citizen kane?

A director known for being trash doesn't make his movies less trash. Is this too hard to understand?

Why do Jules and Vincent work for Marcelus in the first place?

"Pumpkin and Honey Bunny" were poorly introduced, we don´t know why do they start doing roberies in the first place

Maybe you would argue with both opinions: "For money", but that´s not a detailed reason

The Ezekiel verse doesn´t even exist (at least, not like Jules said it)

The dance scene was cringy af

Violence is not taken seriosly (at least until the last scene)

The only developed character is Jules and the robber couple, and those last two were not even main character, they were better developed than Vincent, oh man

Butch kills someone and the police is not looking for him after that night

The whole "I want to have a belly" dialogue

Do I need to proceed?

>waaaaaaaaah everything that isnt 100/100 critically acclaimed arthouse is trash

those films are not trash, they just serve a different purpose.

If every film was the same style and served the same purpose it would be very, very boring. You have to see what is the movie's intent and goal. Those films were made to be blockbusters.

You have yet to give a good reason why they're not trash other than "they were successful for the normies", which is not an argument. I've given you plenty. A movie with ZERO natural dialogue or original plot is trash. If you think otherwise, then I pity your standards.

>Do I need to proceed?

No, because you are a tremendous faggot.

Character motivations are expressed througout the film. Money (Jules and Vincent) and Boredom/Money (Pumpkin and Honey Bunny), don't crap me with "not datailed reason", the whole world moves because money.
Exekiel verse doesn't exist, therefore, movie is shit.
The dance scene was perfect, we can see the insecurity on Vincent because he wants Mia but doesn't know what to do and Mia wants to have a good time and maybe have something with Vincent but she's not sure.
Violence is taken seriously, that's the point of the film, how we are so common with Violence that no one seems to care that violence happens
Vincent is developed during the Mia segment
Wow, the police chases someone inmediatly after some is killed? They were in a basement, you know how much will take to find them and them start investigating who and why killed them?
"I have a belly" is for setting up Butch's motivations

So, proceed

>original plot
>more hipsterdom

everything is derived from something else. by that logic movies like Kill Bill or Crouching Tiger are "trash" , because hey, they are based on older movies/entire genre cliches too

if you want to watch bleak black and white monologues all day be my guest. Im way past that stage of pretentiousness

>When you have no arguments

More

Go to /s /gif /hr /hc

Based is not stolen. Avatar is line by line pocahontas. Are you seriously unable to find a middle ground between braindead hollywood crap and black and white movies? You're sad.

>Why do Jules and Vincent work for Marcelus in the first place?
>"Pumpkin and Honey Bunny" were poorly introduced, we don´t know why do they start doing roberies in the first place
>Maybe you would argue with both opinions: "For money", but that´s not a detailed reason
There doesn't need to be a reason. Tim Roth and girl are plot devices, the other two are just hitmen. It's not a character driven film
>The Ezekiel verse doesn´t even exist (at least, not like Jules said it)
Irrelevant
>The dance scene was cringy af
m8
>Violence is not taken seriosly (at least until the last scene)
Shock value, I guess this is a subjective criticism
>The only developed character is Jules and the robber couple, and those last two were not even main character, they were better developed than Vincent, oh man
You're full of shit if you think the robbers have more character than Butch or Vincent or Marcellus or Mia. All have defined personalities
>Butch kills someone and the police is not looking for him after that night
Because his story ends the next morning
>The whole "I want to have a belly" dialogue
Yeah this is horrendous
>Do I need to proceed?
If you can come up with real criticisms not based on a perceived need for more character development, sure. I'm not even a big fan of then film but this is a weak post

>hes greentexting from his iPhone

and Kurosawa's Throne of Blood is line by line Macbeth too. Is it a shit movie? it seems like you want to toe the line from snotty film critics, that say which films are trash and which are not

It's different. Avatar makes no sense at all

Macbeth is from a different medium, so an adaptation brings something new to the table. Your attempts to defend liking someone made with so little effort and thought as avatar reflects badly on you.

Just money, nothing to fulfill personally, a cheap goal (at least until Jules lived "the miracle")
If that verse is important to the character and if he remarks it twice, it does ruin part of the movie, since it´s supposed to be a key element to the story
"The dance scene was perfect", like Wayne from "Wayne´s World" said: "NOT!"; it was totally random, we just see 2 people dancing, there´s not insecurity on Vincent whatsoever, he was just being Travolta.
Violence is not taken seriously; Mia has an overdose, don´t worry, she´ll be fine; they kill a black teen, don´t worry, we´ll get rid of the body and no one will notice; only the last violent scene was taken siriously since it really felt like if something could happen to the main characters
Vincent wants to fuck Mia, wow, so if that´s development, I have development every time I see a chick I will like to fuck with
In burgerfatland they arrest someone just for being rude at McDonald´s, if someone murders the police will be looking for you, man, it was even in the radio
So, Butch´s motivation is to have a belly?

From my PC, actually

>gets btfo
>b-b-but this is different

and pocahontas was a real life story/2D animation. A different medium, and Avatar brought 3D tech breakthroughs to the table. You cant defend throne of blood and shit on avatar without being a massive hipster douche

>when you realize you've been debating a twelve year old

Every part time shitty job motivation is money. You can't argue that.
Go rewatch that scene with what I say earlier and you'll notice,
That's the fucking point. That violence is so natural that no one cares about it.
He passes from being a gangster that only wants to shoot and money to someone who cares about others.
There's no way of it being in the radio, chronologically, that's the last part of the film.
The whole dialogue on that scene explains why Burch does what he does.

It's okay to be stupid, but do you want to break a record?

Yes I can, because Kurosawa is a competent director while Cameron hasn't read a book in his life so he can only spout brainless dialogue no one uses in real life and he can only write predictable "hollywood military tough people" character arcs.
Also, I mentioned above how Avatar also ripped off Dancing With Wolves, so "Pocahontas was a different medium" doesn't fly, mate.
>brought 3D tech breakthroughs to the table
I notice this is the only positive aspect you can mention. So, there are no differences between avatar and the Star Wars prequels?

It's actually pretty boring, I used to say it was fave film for years back when I was a teenage faggot though

It looks great but there is barely any story at all

Agree fully. The emperors new clothes of recent films. After the 3+ capped off with the cheesiest line ever, I truly felt like critics had played a huge joke on me.

clone? coma? alien?

Totally, I have seen people who say Pulp Fiction is shit, but no one has ever game me that shitty arguments

So did Step by Step

>It´s not a character driven film
I noticed that, it´s a situation film, but the situation is barely explained
Not irrelevant, since is a key element in the story
Yes?
Subjective criticism is not valid, it was not taken seriosly until the last scene
The robbers learned a lessons from Jules, they probably will never try to rob again, Vincent just learned how to inject adrenaline, amazing fevelopment (sarcasm)
So what? It was even in the radio, and Butch was a kind of recognized boxer, not that difficult to miss
Yeah, thanks for agreeing
Character development is important in a film, I don´t see how that makes my reply weak

It's different because pocahontas wants to give a message, Avatar is like "dont be racist cause its not ok"

>When you have no arguments x2

I replied ()

sorry user your comments aren't worth commenting on

i already addressed how everything is based on something else

yes, avatar was actually entertaining, The Starshit prequels were boring and wooden.

>inb4 muh patrician tastes
>inb4 how can you enjoy this! it doesnt have a deep hidden meaning to the question of life and existence!

>being that kid that nobody invites to parties

what? avatar was enviromental kumbaya

I felt cheated by this movie

>Every part time shitty job motivation is money. You can't argue that.
How do you know it´s part time? We don´t see Vincent or Jules doing another job

>Go rewatch that scene with what I say earlier and you'll notice
The Ezekiel scene? It would have been betterif it was actually a bible verse, but it wasn´t

>That's the fucking point. That violence is so natural that no one cares about it.
So, what´s the point of making violence scenes in the first place if, according to you, no one cares about it?

>He passes from being a gangster that only wants to shoot and money to someone who cares about others.
He cared about others before meeting Mia, he cared about Jules, that´s why he tried to defend him when Yolanda pointed a gun at Jules

>There's no way of it being in the radio, chronologically, that's the last part of the film.
Don´t you remember? It was in the radio when he escaped and run into the taxi

>The whole dialogue on that scene explains why Burch does what he does.
That´s in another scene, when Butch is taking a shower, so the belly scene is pointless to the story

You already broke it

I did too

And despite that, you replied

It's a shitty job, they both say it. If they made tons of money they wouldn't dress in cheap stuff in a shitty car, Vincent surpirse of the house tells everything about that
The dance
Is to show how fucked up the society is (Requiem for a Dream, American Beauty, Leon, etc)
It's both scenes, introducing Fabienne, and showing a different Butch while we see why he acts that way

80% of tarantino movies fall into this category

his last few movies have been really underwhelming

A shitty job where they risk their lives, they rather be doing something else, don´t you think? As far as I remember it was well paid
Still irrelevant, it´s kind of fan service for Travolta female fans
How? They don´t take violence seriously untl the last scene
To be honest, Fabienne doesn´t have any other motivation rather than escaping with Butch, and she said that in the shower scene too (as far as I remember), so I don´t see the point

Give me a sign that is well paid.
Oh, a fat ending-carrer travolta in 94 must make every female horny
Oh come on, i already explain that.
Some characters are made for shaping other caracters's personalities. Like in Gone Girl the sister

>JGL and Ellen Page being Mr. and Mrs. Exposition
I hated this so fucking much

A gangster job is well paid, otherwise the people involved wouldn´t be doing that job, you risk your life everyday
Actually, Pulp Fiction was made when Travolta was still a thing (as far as I remember)
I did too
So, basically, was she a plot device?

Some people enter there because they can't affor education, because they've been in prision, because they like to kill people, because they like having power

That's not true, Pulp Fiction was Travolta's resurrection, that's why all of Travolta's movies after 94 are gangster/killing/action stuff

Ok

Kind of, yes

Just because it's self-aware that all it did for over half the movie was assault me with entry-level 'philosophy' doesn't mean I should just call it a good movie, or that I prefer capeshit as Birdman so eloquently put.

The illusion of the one-shot gimmick was fine and the humor was pretty great in some parts, but God damn is this overrated. Not bad, but getting way more praise than it deserves, and for what, a bunch of late teens patting themselves on the back that they have 'taste'?

I liked it, the last scene with his mother made me cry. I haven't talked to my mother in 2 years because I'm a shitty son.

There are jobs with no education requirements (janitor, for example), and they can be well paid (In the U.S)
May be true, but travolta was recognized for dancing in the movies he appeared in, the same chicks that liked him back then would like the dance scene from Pulp Fiction, that´s why I think it feels like fanservice, and s a reference to his last movies

So, I don´t see how the belly scene works for her since it´s only a plot device, and again, her goal was stablished in the shower scene

Why? I kind of keked, since I felt it was the actress being off character, just expressing how time flewed to her, spending 12 years of her life just to be part of a movie

Maybe they just like being the good guys, take Goodfellas as an example, they want to have power, they want to say fuck you to the rules

I can't really say

Since Butch is like a connection from Vince and Jules story to Marcellus McGuffin, i think it's necessary to stablish he and his GF (having understand that's what drives him)

Kiling another gangster is being a good guy?

True, but that scene was, in my opinion, unnecesary

Thank you. It's far more closer to shite than normies admit

I always think its so funny when the Best Picture race comes down to 2 films that honestly don't deserve it an are overrated when a third film exists that would be a much better choice than both.

In 2014, I feel Grand Budapest Hotel would've been a far more worthy BP winner than either Boyhood or Birdman.

In 2009, Inglorious Basterds would've been far better than either Hurt Locker or Avatar.

In 2011, Tree of Life was far superior to either The Artist or Hugo.

In 2016.....actually from what little of the nominees from 2016... nothing really impressed me.

Aside from Avatar your are wrong in every way

Honestly every critically adored Pixar film after Ratatouille could probably fit the bill...