American Psycho

Okay so I just recently rewatched this movie a few times because I forgot how good it was. I have some questions.

1. Did he actually kill all those people? Why did the lady at the end just tell him to leave? If he did? If he didn't was it all just a fantasy?

2. A friend suggested that all those other Vice President fags with the cards are all just alter egos of Patrick Bateman. He "kills" Paul Allen but it is actually just him killing that alter ego. This also makes sense that hes banging that one's wife or girlfriend or whatever too. It's him. Like, all the shit involving Paul Allen kinda makes a little more sense if it's just an alter ego Patrick plays.

Been awhile since I saw it.

But, I'm fairly certain it was all in his head, every single bit of it, just imagination gone wild.

Great story telling.

I know this will trigger your autism, but there ISN'T SUPPOSED TO BE ONE DEFINITIVE ANSWER

Even the author said so. Now with that said... No. He probably didn't. That fuckwit would have been caught in 2 seconds by Willem Dafoe

Yes, thoe whole point of the movie is based on the concept of duality of man.

IT doesn't matter whether or not he did it, the point of the film is how self adsorbed the elite is in how they wouldn't even be able to believe someone who confessed to being a killer because they all are virtually the same person. Debating whether or not he did it is pointless, there are points for both outcomes.

checkem

This. Sometimes stories are left open to interpretation. It's a quality of art.

B-BUT DID HE DO IT OR NOT?? HURR DURR ME ONLY UNDERSTAND THINGS IF IT IS SPELLED OUT RIGHT INFRONT OF ME

Is this worth watching?

The new title kinda throws me off.

Dubs

great movie

WHAT IF WILLEM DAFOE WAS ALSO AN ALTER EGO!?

Doesn't this confirm he actually did it?

I guess so, it says he's a cereal killer.

trips confirm

>Patrick Bateman is dead
Well fucking spoilers on the box!

This is the future of the internet when weed gets legalized. How high are yall?

Fuck, you're right. Shit timeline desu.

>completely missing the point of the first movie

read the book
you'll realize that it's actually execrating our modern disposable products and our cynical and absurd society

The director intended for it to be ambiguous but the screenwriter didn't. The screenwriter's intent was that he DID kill everybody but that nobody would believe he did it because of his social status and the fact that everyone thought he was Paul or some other suit. He gets referred to as a few different characters throughout the movie.
Because it's some commentary on how they're all the same or something.

>Alfred, it's Wayne, Bruce Wayne. You're my butler so I think you should know: I've killed a lot of people. Some prisoners in a monastery uh, some League of Shadows members maybe 5 or 10 um a fake Ras Al Ghul I met in China. I left him in a burning building on top of some mountain. I killed Talia, my old girlfriend, with a missile, and some man uh some old faggot driving her vehicle. I killed another guy with a train, I had to, he almost got away and uh someone else there I can't remember maybe a henchman, but he's dead too. And Harvey Dent. I killed Harvey Dent with a tackle off a building, his body is dissolving in a bathtub in the Narrows! I don't want to leave anything out here. I guess I've killed maybe 20 people, maybe 40. I have tapes of a lot of it, uh some of the girls have seen the tapes. I even, um... I ate some of their brains, and I tried to cook a little. Tonight I, uh, I just had to kill a LOT of people. And I'm not sure I'm gonna get away with it this time. I guess I'll uh, I mean, ah, I guess I'm a pretty uh, I mean I guess I'm a pretty sick guy. So, if you get back tomorrow, I may show up at Falcone's Bar, so you know, keep your eyes open.

What our Paul Allen wasn't THE Paul Allen?
Like we're seeing Bateman who thinks it is Paul Allen and has him confused with someone else like someone else confuses him?

In the beginning was that even him? I couldn't tell and was like oh shit never noticed it and seen the movie a dozen times. It might not be him! He killed the wrong guy.

THE WHAT?!

You type this yourself, user?

i've been posting it for a long time but nobody cares

I like it faam

If you haven't read the book you're a pleb and shouldn't even comment on the movie

It's possible the Paul Allen he killed was just some other random yuppie and the real Paul Allen was actually just chillin' in London. We never see the business card of the person Bateman kills so we don't really know who he is.

it's less poignant if its all in his head.
he is never caught bc of the status he has and everyone just cares about the almighty dollar (apartment refurnished) and all the yuppie types look the same (same glasses etc etc)

that said, i dont know the answer. maybe it really was all in his head.
iirc the director once said he intended it to be real. but towards the end of the movie (the cars blowing up etc) it becomes obviously unrealistic, it already was, but the unrealism is taken to absurd levels.
but otoh its an absurd movie.

It's possible that he did kill all these people, but in much more mundane ways. He just convinced himself that these murders were more spectacular than they actually were like in his fantasies

Yes he did it. Everybody was so self absorbed they couldn't even be fucked to get each other's names right. Paul Allen thought Bateman was Halberstram, and he also thought Bryce was some guy named Baxter. Bateman's own lawyer thought Bateman was some guy named Davis. His own fucking client. So when he says he saw Paul Allen in London he probably didn't actually see the real Paul Allen. The real estate people who cleaned up Allen's house knew Bateman was the person who left those bodies in there but they would rather let the killer go free than risk devaluing the property. That's why she caught him in a lie about how he found out about the apartment for sale. She just told him to leave so she can sell the place and make a quick buck.

didn't read your gay blog post but check these dubs

Why didn't he kill Caruthers? He seemed disgusted by his homosexuality yet he just ran off rather than murder him. If anything finding out he was gay would give him greater reason to kill

Bret Ellis (the author of original novel whoch movie was based on) said "From my perspective, what would be the point if it was all in his head?..."

Because Patrick is living a double life and trying to maintain his appearance as a normal person. Trying to fit in. He realized that he was letting the real him slip and exercised some self control so he doesn't tarnish his reputation amongst his pals who were close by.

every time we have this thread we get the same questions and answers.

not true, he said it could be either and he left it open for interpretation. but if its real or not doesnt change the meaning of the story anyway.

he's a gay pervert too and caruthers made him confront it