Why are liberals objectively much better at comedy?

Satire and parody are critical elements of any functioning culture, and yet the right is absolutely incapable of contributing to this area of society (and often times end up simply providing material for them). Why is that?

youtube.com/watch?v=vL8Dz4mGv1g

(extra footage of him crashing Jones' event)

youtube.com/watch?v=WhQ4s6eG76o

Additionally, what are your thoughts on crashing other people's shows/speaking events (ala Jones on TYT, Andre just now, or what BLM did to all sorts of Trump events)?

Other urls found in this thread:

peopleofwalmart.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=CceQISThDYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=mN3z3eSVG7A
peopleofwalmart.com/fluffy-pancakes/
youtu.be/jy47dgjMk-A
m.youtube.com/watch?v=yqECl-5BiA4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There are plenty of great liberal comedians, but that was fucking terrible.

Because conservatives have a stick up their ass.

>and yet the right is absolutely incapable of contributing to this area of society

Dick Masterson.

"Are you aunty aborition? 'cause I'm uncle abortion. How about I knock you up and we get rid of the dang thing"

XD

maybe it has something to do with satire coming from counter culture. do you think of hillary clinton as a funny person? maybe you should think of it as people who try being funny find an outlet in the political left, instead of trying to pin humor on a political category. set inclusion might be tough for you.

because ridicule is their first, last, and only resort.

They are not better, they are simply more prevalent, because they are the mouths of the jews that own the media.

Right wing humor seems to be mostly about insulting people who're already materially deprived or politically marginalized.

That's not funny, it's bullying, and bullying isn't actually funny. It might be FUN, but it's not funny.

Leftist humor is either aimed at the powerful, and/or self irony. We like humility, and it's certainly much better than bullying.

Prove me wrong by showing me a right wing comedian who's not adequately described here.

>leftists are le funny

I remember when I was a teenager too

Said differently, right wingers somehow think punching down is funny; it's not, it might be fun, but not funny. Leftists understand punching up is funny.

Your entire country is a joke

And now you're old and lame is what you're implying?

Woojin is correct

Germany is the Dad Joke of nations.

>Comedy = Politics
A FUCKING LEAF
oh wait...

This just proves him right. You're just attacking the weak

Gee whiz billy!

Why are Liberals better at reading a script usually written by (((someone else))) and regurgitating it to a crowd of (((like minded people))) like a parrot.

STAND UP COMEDY IS DEAD!
The liberals killed it

I'm not saying this out of hurt pride or because saying MUH COUNTRY GREAT gives me a patriot boner, but: Germany is a bully, not an oppressed minority. We strangled Greece, and we will fuck over a number of other smaller countries if we think it's in our economic interest.

We're not nice. I'm not saying I'm proud of this, but we're not nice.

Bullying isn't real. The weak deserve to get made fun of and pushed around. It builds character, so they'll stop being weak.

Honestly I think this has a great deal to do with it. Only other bullies think bullying is funny, and thus this form of humor entrenches an insular (and difficult to promote) kind of humor which many find distasteful.

It'd almost be funny itself, if it weren't so tragic.

Awww you're adorable.

Because libtards ARE the joke.
/thread

peopleofwalmart.com/

Way to punch up, leftists.

say something funny

>right wingers somehow think punching down is funny

If it wasn't funny then why do leftists love making fun of "white trash" ie impoverished white people?

No now I'm not a retarded leftist faggot, unlike you
It's more like you're suicidal and deluded to the point of absurdity and refuse to acknowledge it.

By his own logic he is white and deserves to be raped to death by niggers anyway

it doesn't matter

The best comedians are racked with self-hatred and doubt in themselves, which is something they share with liberals in general.

>Prove me wrong by showing me a right wing comedian who's not adequately described here

I can't name a right wing comedian period. They would never be allowed on TV in any substantial capacity so they pretty much don't exist.

Maybe a good attitude if you want to train an army. A terrible attitude if you want to be funny.

A lot of leftist humor is terrible.
Leftists also often punch down, and when they do that, they're predictably not funny. E.g., redneck jokes are not funny.

Satire and parody, as well as comedy in general, are critical elements of a functioning society and political humor is a key facet of it. It's also a realm that the right seems completely impotent within, and I'm wondering why exactly that is.

Get back to your /x/ tier """"political"""" conspiracy about how it's all the jews/aliens/lizard people fault, fuckstain.

Bill Burr's a good example of a right wing comedian.
He just yells about how much women suck for an hour.

>If it wasn't funny then why do leftists love making fun of "white trash" ie impoverished white people?
See above. It's not funny to mock the deprived and marginalized. However, it is FUN.

I don't approve of it (mocking "white trash"), obviously. I'm a leftist, but that doesn't mean I agree with everything on the left. Of course not; it's inherently contradictory (much like the right).
It proves my point, really; where leftists punch down, they too are not funny.

>No now I'm not a retarded leftist faggot, unlike you
No you

You can make very confident jokes, but you need to be able to not take yourself so seriously.
The right sometimes has problems with that.

Bush could be funny, actually. That was because he could show humility and be self deprecating.

Please, go on. Remind me how Jim Jefferies stopped being a funny cunt when he stopped boozing and went full libtard.

youtube.com/watch?v=CceQISThDYQ

You could say as much of Louis CK and even Bill Burr is getting closer to there. Even Bill Hicks became less and less funny as he became more and more political.

The best comedians are all dead or dying fast. Patrice O'Neal, Sam Kinison, George Carlin and Doug Stanhope just to name a few.

youtube.com/watch?v=mN3z3eSVG7A

Here's somebody on the right telling funny jokes in a good way.

Notice that he takes the perspective of a weak and downtrodden person and effectively "punches up". He can't make jokes without role playing, and it's only funny because he is "punching up".

Because comedy is a job where liberals over overrepresented. Hence there will be more notable liberal comedians than conservative.

You might as well ask why conservatives are objectively much better at CEOing.

You're not explaining, you're just restating the problem.

Btw I wouldn't call this a leftist site.

peopleofwalmart.com/fluffy-pancakes/

>Why are liberals objectively much better at comedy?
It is because they don't actually take any issues seriously and their stances are based on appearances and acceptance. Further, their stances are based on self-loathing and a feeling of inadequacy. Self-loathing and feeling inadequate are almost a prerequisite for a funny comedian, as is the ability to be detached and fluid in your opinions.

It's hard to feel self-loathing or doubt when you are the epitome of human design and have dedicated yourself to upholding the fundamental traditions that set your culture apart and allowed them to reign over all others. What's funny about that? A conservative drips with alpha superiority, you can't dare to even crack a grin in their presence.

>punching up/punching down
A stupid left-wing class warfare meme that has no connection to reality.
Humor is humor.
It's either funny or it isn't.
Violence is violence.
It's either violent or it isn't.
The punching up/down dichotomy implies a pre-rendered and static moral judgement upon the proceedings where some humor/violence is acceptable while others isn't. (((Coincidentally))) it's always only when the target is leftwing in nature that the violence/comedy becomes unacceptable.

Stop playing by their rules.
Punching "down" is great and should be encouraged at every opportunity.

Who is

>Nic Dipalo
>Norm McDonald
>Rich Vos
>Sam Hyde
>Mark Normand
>Ben Bailey
>Jim Norton
>Doug Stanhope
>Dave Attel

>German humor.

>It's not funny to mock the deprived and marginalized.

it obviously is

>Only other bullies think bullying is funny
Literally all of the humor on "black twitter" revolves around mocking people for being fat, being ugly, being weird, getting knocked out.

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about, and it isn't just bullies that are amused by watching people get bullied.

>You're not explaining, you're just restating the problem.
No, I'm saying that the assumption that OP makes is incorrect.

He thinks that there must be equally many cons and libs who want to be comedians. And since there are few good conservative comedians the cons must suck at comedy.

But instead cons don't want to be comedians in the first place. And hence the lack of conservative comedians does not allow us to draw the conclusion that cons are bad at comedy.

Just like women earing 78c on the dollar does not imply discrimination against women. Most women simply don't want to work high-paying but demanding jobs.

All the races are equal in every way. XD

Ranch me mulatto

Liberal comedians should really make fun of liberals because they know how they think

>Violence is violence.
>It's either violent or it isn't.
Obviously, somebody who doesn't see the difference between David downing Goliath, and Goliath raping a puppy will also fail to get humor.

It's fun to do. It's not humorous.

You're laughing, but ISIS guys are laughing while they're blowing themselves up too.

But the ones that are there are usually not funny.

Sam Hyde is a good example: he's funny cause he's punching up. When he mocks TED, he's mocking the establishment.

Humor is about making fun of people.

In today's world the only permissable targets are straight white men...mostly conservatives

>Liberal comedians should really make fun of liberals
That's what they do.

A Louis Ck routine is 97% him making fun of his pale fat awkward ass.

The right usually takes themselves much too serious, and is much too insecure, to make self deprecating humor.

How about Matt and Trey from South Park? They aren't expressly right wing. However, they have gone on record saying they dislike both extremes but have a particular disdain for the left, and that can be seen both in South Park and Team America. The recent season was completely dedicated to attacking PC culture, and in the past they've gone harder on Islam than pretty much any public figure would dare on multiple occasions. In fact, the ONLY time Comedy Central has ever censored them was for an anti-Islam episode. They had an episode where Trump was literally raped and killed and Comedy Central didn't give a shit. Clear leftist media bias.

But my point is that, they don't go a bullying route. They indeed make it their purpose to attack those in power, be it left or right. Again, look at Team America attacking leftists brutally throughout the movie.

Pretty stereotypical Hans.

Oh you're right, I totally forgot the jews are obviously involved and to blame for everything as always.

Never mind, thread over. You totally got me m80.

(People actually think like this?)

One of my favorite comedies is jim gaffigan, I don't know if he's conservative but he certainly doesn't seem liberal
Also norm McDonald doesn't seem very liberal to me.

Dude, everything can be funny. The whole pinching up and down is total bullshit.
Listen to this clip and tell me that two comedians making fun of retards isn't funny.

>You're not explaining, you're just restating the problem
No, he re-framed the question. OP said, "Why are conservatives so bad at comedy?". This user says it's more of a cognitive bias, you see many liberal comedians so you assume comedy is liberal. This is fundamentally illogical and therefore the question is bullshit.
You've yet to prove that a conservative comedian is less funny, and instead try to arbitrarily attribute comedic techniques to liberalism.

>implying there has ever been a shortage of bullies or schadenfreude to be had

Back when liberalism was edgy and subversive during the Bush years, they might have been funny.

Nowadays, not so much

Yet none of them are huge. Like anything in entertainment, being super liberal and progressive helps. At least until they make fuck you money and can produce themselves.

I'm sure there are plenty of closeted conservative actors and musicians that just can't wear it on their sleeves. Just look at the shit they gave Jesse Hughes when he commented about the Bataclan attack, it was like a dog whistle signal for every blogger and journalist to come at him, they even canceled some of his shows.

For one, we're naturally more serious so humor is maybe not as easy. For two, we tend to prefer black humor and slaughtering sacred cows and with as sensitive as people are these days it doesn't fly among big crowds. Anybody can be good at satire but really, leftists satire themselves these days

South Park is a great show. They literally make fun of everyone. They show how every group of people has there extremes that make them look bad, it's the ultimate red pill in my opinion.

DUDE SHOES LMAO
DUDE WEED LMAO
DUDE VAGINA LMAO

Hes not funny. This is literally stuff I would do while I was still in high school.

Once again you come at things from a preconstructed moral narrative where the weak are moral by default and the strong immoral.

Does the story of David and Goliath remain an inspiring tale, if instead of the familiar biblical context we transfer it to a different story, where a weak immoral man uses a sling to bring down a strong man who is defending his family? Do you still find inspiration in a tale of treachery where an odious wretch murders a hero in order to rape his wife?

There is literally nothing wrong with punching "down".

That was about a third way to being funny and the rest is cringe-worthy as fuck. Triumph the Insult Dog was lightyears better than this when he went to the RNC in 2008.

INVESTIGATE 3/11

INVESTIGATE 3/11

INVESTIGATE 3/11

Yeah, they have this equal-opportunity offense thing that sometimes works. Less anti-liberal than anti-PC, really - PC in the sense that both the left and the right are PC.

The interesting question is not about success, but about humor. Bias can explain why there are no successful right wing comedians. But we need to explain why there aren't any GOOD ones.

>Once again you come at things from a preconstructed moral narrative where the weak are moral by default and the strong immoral.
No. That's stupid.

Are you saying Doug Stanhope, Norm McDonald, and Dave Attle are not huge comedians.

Just because you don't see them on tv Disney mean they are not established members of the comedy world.

Also most of their material isn't safe for tv, so their routine wouldn't really work on tv.

Well when everyone is a bully the accusation sort of loses it's sting doesn't it?

>a."Haha, you're a HUMAN!"
>b. "and you're not?"

Because comedy clubs and their patrons are concentrated in cities, and cities are a liberal bastion. The talent pipeline for comedians are firmly in liberal areas

Yet it really isn't. The large surplus of liberal comedians doesn't appear from nowhere, and asking "why are there so many more liberal comedians than conservative ones" leads pretty much straight back to the original question. They (seemingly) are better at comedy, hence having greater popularity and a greater share of the comedic sphere. All I wanna know why that is.

Something something can't see the forest for the trees

>No good non liberal comedians

My list literally has DAVE ATTEL, DOUG STANHOPE, and NORM FUCKING MCDONALD. These guys are the pillars of the comedy world, these three are some of the best comedians ever.

>But the ones that are there are usually not funny.
How many comedians do you even know? In the "performing arts" only 13% self-describe as Republicans. If we go by this then 1 notable conservative comedian should count for 10 notable liberal comedians. Do you even know 10 US comedians?

And we cannot draw conclusions from a the number of bad comedians since there is an uncountable number of them.

Instead we should simply look at comedy tv shows and see if their hosts are conservative or not. If 13% are, then that's completely expected. Having a commercial TV show can be considered an objective measure of a comedians appeal.

I know it's stupid.
Which is why you should abandon the whole "punching up/down" thought process.

Sometimes it's not only perfectly acceptable, but NECESSARY to punch down. Civilization was founded upon the concept of punching down.

Now, watch Eric Andre fail miserably trying to troll Breitbart. He probably spent 8 hours at RNC to get 5 minutes of material to air out of his shitty act.

youtu.be/jy47dgjMk-A

Can one really call them "conservative" comedians though? They're certainly not campaigning for transgender bathrooms, but idk if they're exactly fighting for the "right" either vs say...whatever the hell was going on in the youtube clips.

I actually watched that clip and was wondering if the naming by Breitbart was really necessary, since if it was a really fail it would've been obvious (and I wouldn't have to be told it was one).

It just came off as kind of awkward, they kind of took the bait but didn't really give him any crazy reactions.

>DOUG STANHOPE
Notably a libertarian, not a conservative.

>DAVE ATTEL
From the (((Daily Show)))?

Show some clips.

I appreciate the attempt to be quantitative, but the challenge still stands: I claim there is a strong correlation between being on the right and punching down, and between something not being funny and punching down.

Man I too loved Nietzsche when I was like 12.

That's not the question, the op asked why liberal comedians are the best, when that statement is objectively false.

Also you'll never see a true "Conserative" comedian, Because comedy involes self deprecation, which is something I notice that true "conservatives" have problems with.

But the comedians I listed are not libs at all.

Norm McDonald is a socially Conserative Christian. Even though he is not a "Conserative" he is still not a lib in any way.

Listen to this if you're don't believe me.

>Listen to this if you're don't believe me.
Forgot something?

Forgot the link m.youtube.com/watch?v=yqECl-5BiA4

Nietzsche has nothing to do with it.
If punching down is always bad this requires the assumption that the weak are always virtuous. You yourself admit that this is stupid.

If you accept the premise that the weak are not always virtuous then you must also accept the corollary that punching "down" is not always bad as well.

So once again, I reiterate. There is literally nothing wrong with punching "down".

politically marginalized? so left wingers?

no true scotsman much?
'
I also agreed that they're definitely NOT liberals, I'm wondering if that necessarily makes them "conservatives" though. Norm mcdonald being those things is a good reference, for instance.

Yeah it was awkward...because they knew what he was trying to do and played along to see what a fool he'd make of himself. It also didn't help that his material was absolute shit.

>Because comedy involes self deprecation,
"Yo mamma" jokes are rooted entirely in deprecating someone else's mother. Call them low humor, call whatever you want, they are still a form of comedy.

Guy just said "I'm proud to be white sounds ridiculous" and "Saying I'm proud to be American is nonsense - you might as well say I'm proud to have lungs. You've accomplished nothing" ... Not really a Sup Forums icon hm?

But this doesn't seem to be humorous. Where's an example of him making non-liberal jokes?

Would you go watch a standup guy making yo momma jokes?

I don't personally think my right wing friends are not funny to interact with. But entertaining people with jokes on a stage, that's different.

>Comedy
>Objective

>Additionally, what are your thoughts on crashing other people's shows/speaking events (ala Jones on TYT, Andre just now, or what BLM did to all sorts of Trump events)?

It's in extremely poor taste, and security should drag them out into the street.

I'm not saying that they are Conseratives, I think you are mis understanding my point. My point is that op claimed liberals were the best comedians, when in reality the best comedians are thoes who do not subscribe to any specific ideology.

>No true Scotsman much?

I'm sorry man I didn't get this reference

>The interesting question is not about success, but about humor. Bias can explain why there are no successful right wing comedians. But we need to explain why there aren't any GOOD ones.

It takes a long time and a lot of practice to make good comedy. It is easier for a young comedian to get cheap laughs with dude weed jokes than nigger and spic or gay jokes.

Also, a lot of comedy comes from a place of self-doubt, insecurity and making fun of yourself. Cucked liberals are more comfortable going there than the bombastic, confident and macho right wing guy. On average conservatives are probably less funny than others.

Funny is subjective, but hyper-masculinity does tend to work against comedy. Think Joe Rogan or Andrew Dice Clay, both are or where very successful but neither was that funny compared to many other comedians of their time.

>If you accept the premise that the weak are not always virtuous then you must also accept the corollary that punching "down" is not always bad as well.
We're not talking about morals, but about humor.

Well, at least everyone else isn't. You might be on your own trip for all I care.

>So once again, I reiterate. There is literally nothing wrong with punching "down".
A fascinating non sequitur.

>Liberals
>Great Comedians
are you trying to tell me Burr is liberal?

But he uses that same argument for ever one else, like the gays, blacks, and atheist. His whole point is that you shouldn't let you sexual, political, or your race define your self.

Liberals love to say you should be proud of your sexual preferences or your race. Norm is one of the most red pilled person I've ever seen.

i have no real addition other than to say, user, you're too good for this board! you're perceptive and interested in the motivations of people on any side, imperfections and all - i don't think i've ever read a thread with so much of both a clear thesis (conservatives can be fun but fail to be funny) and an even mind when the usual "meme magic" fanbois come out to try and troll you.

the one thing i would maybe add to this all is that, from a position of power it's quite rational to 1) think that the world does reward hard work fairly and equitably, 2) presume that those who have worked hard and that this has paid off for them should be able to defend their rewards (survivorship bias), and to 3) believe that it's a good idea to learn from what could happen to you should you get too complacent or lazy, i.e. tell cautionary tales (or "punch down").

It should be fairly obvious how these three traits of mind could be cobbled together to produce an entertaining "comedy" show, resulting in people who feel there *are* conservative comedians.

>Also, a lot of comedy comes from a place of self-doubt, insecurity and making fun of yourself. Cucked liberals are more comfortable going there than the bombastic, confident and macho right wing guy
You might confuse narcissism with confidence, and being able to not take yourself so serious with lack of confidence.

Again, take Bush. He could make a joke about himself, and he doesn't give up this desperately insecure vibe e.g. Trump has.
Confidence isn't all distributed on one side of the camp.

Bill Burr is a good example in how absolutely bereft of humor he is.

>That's not funny, it's bullying, and bullying isn't actually funny. It might be FUN, but it's not funny.

Punch UP!

Fuck off. Everybody's a target. If you can't make fun of everyone you can't make fun of anyone.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

It's basically where you declare someone is or is not a "true" something, ie goal post shifting. For instance, where the regressive left describes the soviet union (and more recently, Venezuela) as "not true" communists/socialists.

And as op, I'd remind you that the question was "why are liberals objectively much BETTER at comedy" and clarified "better than conservatives" later in the post. Nothing you've said really detracts from it, it merely adds that political agnostic folks are some of the best (if not the best) comedians, which I actually don't disagree with.

Or Stanhope, McDonald, or Attel.

They aren't. They get more laughs simply because liberals are children and swallow comedy easily like the good goys they are.

>Leftist humor is either aimed at the powerful, and/or self irony. We like humility, and it's certainly much better than bullying.

Leftist: stupid trailer trash rednecks are dumb LOL XD

>We like humility
You use the appearance of humility as a political weapon. Just like Hillary Clinton pretends to like blacks.

You're right, it's purely coincidence.