‘Supergirl’: Possible Jump to CW, Budget Cuts

>CBS embroiled in negotiation talks with Warner Bros. over costly freshman show

>The network would like the show to come back, sources close to the series say, but there’s a problem. The roughly $3 million per-episode price tag CBS pays to broadcast “Supergirl” – one of the highest license fees ever for a freshman show – isn’t quite justified by the ratings. Thirteen million total viewers tuned in to the heavily promoted premiere back in October, but about half the audience bailed over the season, according to Nielsen.

>That has set the stage for a last-minute stare-down between Moonves and Warner Bros. TV chief Peter Roth. CBS will announce its fall schedule in two weeks at the upfront presentations in New York, so the clock is ticking to hammer out a deal.

>Both sides have a potential out. Moonves could push “Supergirl” to The CW, which as it happens is a joint venture between CBS and Warners (Moonves and his team are responsible for programming the network). Such a switch would make perfect sense. The youth-skewing CW already has “The Flash” and other superhero franchises (there was a crossover between “Supergirl” and “The Flash” this season), and its audience is much more aligned with “Supergirl” than is CBS’ much-grayer viewership.

>Fans have suggested such a move for months and lately the Hollywood rumor mill has gone into overdrive that “Supergirl” is flying to CW. But that move would be fraught for both producers and fans, as budget-conscious CW shows don’t tend to collect huge license fees for the studios. The upshot of a CW shift is that there would very likely be big budget cuts in the offing for “Supergirl.”

thewrap.com/supergirl-renewal-drama-talks-center-on-possible-jump-to-cw-budget-cuts-exclusive/

Other urls found in this thread:

variety.com/2016/tv/news/pilot-buzz-2016-2017-television-season-1201763772/
youtube.com/watch?v=fV9NOj8x8Ao&t=3m14s
youtube.com/watch?v=dROwEc4VyJA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I now want supergirl screencaps with 3MILLION DOLLARS under them

>Meanwhile, rumors are again flying that “Supergirl” could shift over to the CW, should it get renewed. While sources tell Variety there have been discussions, a network insider shot down the speculation.
variety.com/2016/tv/news/pilot-buzz-2016-2017-television-season-1201763772/

Just the network changing isnt going to stop Supergirl from being shit.

They'd have to start over or soft reboot it

How else is Felicity going to rescue Kara weekly unless it's on the same channel?

>$3 million per-episode price tag

Jesus fuck.

>Supergirl
>But not Constantine
ERASE ME

>roughly $3 million per-episode

Where is all of that money going? The shitty sets and location shoots, the horrible makeup and effects or the overpaid actors?

it's better than LoT and Arrow

ok

just bring the show back with shorter seasons so you can have episodes that have the same quality.

I like how Banshee's scream looks like the way the screams from Black Canary should have looked like

>The roughly $3 million per-episode price tag
That's 60 million in total with 20 episodes

>Budget cuts
And yet the special effects can only stand to get better.

i hope you all enjoy more scenes from the one coffee shop in all of metropolis

the same 5 recycled sets arrow and flash have really gets annoying after a while

>Season one of Supergirl cost more than ....
fuck i cant think of anything

Deadpool

District 9

They should have gone with a shorter 13 episode run to see if people really wanted to watch not-superman the series.

hahahaha no

Everything is better than Arrow and Legends of Tommorow is barely good.

Thats reasonable though.

no, not really

yes, but Supergirl is definitely not one of them.

I read that as "CBS' much-gayer viewership"

Daredevil S1
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Defenders

Unless the funding was lopsided, which it might have been, but still. Damn.

Here's an idea. LoT ends and don't bring it back. Cancel Arrow. Take on Supergirl, slash the budget. Reuse sets, cut out all the extras. Cut episodes from 20 to 15. Have last 5 episodes crossover with Flash.

Flash is pretty tight budget wise. Yet they use it a lot better than Supergirl. Idk where the fuck the budget went, maybe filming in LA instead of Canada? Move the production from LA to Canada, get rid of Alley McBeal she's expensive.

Maybe and just maybe we can get away with having two good shows. Also please fire the lead writers for S2, bring back the one who did S1. S2 of Flash was way too meh vs S1. I felt Zoom wasn't even that scary vs Reverse Flash. Zoom just killed everyone, Reverse Flash was methodical and covered up his involvement.

According to Cavanagh, Supergirl's production is moving to Vancouver with the rest of the CW shows.

youtube.com/watch?v=fV9NOj8x8Ao&t=3m14s

>$3 mil per episode ... and it looked like shit, imagine how it will look like under CW's wing .. don't even want to think about it.

>Milana will never be Power Girl

I'm okay with it moving to CW if the flash writers get creative control

I don't know why, but I keep seeing Snart when I look at this guy

>That's 60 million in total with 20 episodes
Higher. The average is $3 million per reg episode. Sometimes higher (Flash crossover, Red Tornado, Red Krypt SG) and some were a bit lower (mostly early episodes where they didn't do that much for power showing.) The pilot was $14 million on its own.

>the same 5 recycled sets arrow and flash have really gets annoying after a while
Some of the same SFX scenes, too. Gotham got as bad during season 2 were they reused lots of the city panning shots, cut down on anything which needed additional SFX to up the cityscape like rooftop chases. The amount of SFX heavy supervillains also got cut down.

$3 MILLION DOLLARS, HOW ABOUT FUCK YOU!!

youtube.com/watch?v=dROwEc4VyJA

Oh goodness me.

>3 million dollars.

Fucking how?

it makes sense, they're a lot of girls on cw network still from all of their girly shows, right age range and they could cut costs.

I can't believe it, the choreography and CGI is similiar to 90's power rangers. Hell, the villains don't look much better than Puttys

>They'd have to start over or soft reboot it
Something like moving her and some of the cast over to E1? They'd have to technically start fresh at that point.

>mfw supergirl literally got better than flash after the first for episodes

>Something like moving her and some of the cast over to E1?
I'd love it if the universal travel makes her boobs massive and when she arrives on E1 she changes her name to Powergirl.

No it didn't. It has had, by my count, 1 good episode.

Funny enough, it was the White Martian episode, which was MM focused.

just like my comics

>$3 million per-episode price tag CBS pays to broadcast “Supergirl”
Fuck me, really? At that price, you'd think it wouldn't be shit.

>idk where the fuck the budget went, maybe filming in LA instead of Canada?
Probably. There's a lot off effects but not nearly as much as Flash - Flash arguably looks much better.

>get rid of Alley McBeal she's expensive.
this
>Cancel Arrow
this
> Also please fire the lead writers for S2
THIS
>LoT ends and don't bring it back.
not this. LoT has a good cast and can still get good with a good writer. Flash got real bad with new writers. Arrow is unsalvageable.

That is some seriously shit taste.

>Flash arguably looks much better.
Melissa can't fight. She looks like a girl trying to punch, not supergirl. They should scrap fist fights and aim for more flight charges, tackles and throws.

The fight choreography in supergirl is terrible.

>Arrow is unsalvageable
That is really painful to admit. I loved S2.

Seeing Ally Mcbeal on the cw amuses the shit out of me though, especially when her husband is now the highest paid actor in history.

Really though. Constantine was way better than Supergirl

So basically Smallville with Kara?
Why not

So, if the move does happen, how are they gonna move that whole cast to Earth 1?

supergirls universe gets wiped out by a mysterious force and she ends up in earth one by some wormhole

Something destroys the universe and she escapes with her close friends. This destroyer of her universe becomes the villain for her next season.

Braniac would be a good one, because you have the twist that the universe is in a bottle, not destroyed.

Could work. Soft reboot. Have Supergirl jump worlds to the CWverse. Easily dump the whole cast if you want. Less big threats in CWverse so less heavy sfx

or the destroyer turns out to be the main villain for the next JL movie

That would be the most amazing thing.

They don't have to you know
It could be just its own verse and crossover when necessary.

>Melissa can't fight. She looks like a girl trying to punch, not supergirl. They should scrap fist fights and aim for more flight charges, tackles and throws.

This would only increase the budget for the show even more. Someone should post the webm when Kara fights Bizarro SG. That looked so fucking bad with the wire work.

>The fight choreography in supergirl is terrible.
Truth.

Some method of destroying the universe or a Crisis would be good since it would account for them no longer being in L.A.

>This would only increase the budget for the show even more
My understanding that things like eye lasers aren't too tough, she could do a fly in / tackle (Flash does this shit every ep) and then follow up with a warning shot with heat vision.

I hope it just gets axed, it's awful.

Superslut makes my dick hard though. At least when she's not full tumblr

Honestly on second thought I wouldn't even worm hole them, just have the world be destroyed and the wake up on E1.

Who saved us?
Who destroyed our planet?
Where are we?
Do my powers work?
How does MM deal with losing a planet AGAIN?
What work do they do?

Okay, so, budget cuts then.
Flockhart will be out (she's gotta be the most expensive)
I hope Harewood isn't as expensive, or is tempted by the Queen on money, but he's an MBE and may also be too expensive.

So with that, Kara leaves Catco? Maybe takes Winn with her?
DEO moves to a new location to better track down Cadmus?
We never get Director Bones because spooky skellington man would be too expensive to animate?

We could have E1 Jimmy too! Red hair bumbling fool.

The show will mostly go with her being depowered probably. It is the same reason they left clark on the ground.

what does the money even go towards
like catered lunches, team dinners and vacations?

They have to power her down as well.
She's not used to the new sun and it's unique properties. She's about a class 10 in strength and is pretty fast on her feet can fly easily and has blue laser vision and ice breath and can take a few bullets but if she's hit was mortar fire or assault rifles she's screwed.

And if she's out of sunlight for longer then 48 hours she's a normal woman.

LoT, no
Arrow, yeah

It sounds like she's shooting for a crossover, which if my COIE theories are true, this is all to be expected.

It would fuck up the entire dynamic of the show, so I doubt it.

They don't *have* to cut the budget, they just want to. WBTV is charging CBS through the nose for each episode. It's expensive as fuck to shoot in LA and the show was pretty lavish with their on-location shooting (see pic) and set building.

There's a lot of things they could do - splitting production between Vancouver and LA for establishing shots and the occasional desert/street scene - the only problem is that Vancouver looks nothing like LA and that would require really creative editing and shooting with maybe some back and forth. Who even knows if Calista wants to go.

I don't think moving to Vancouver would be for the best, but it would make crossovers easier - part of the reason the Flash crossover looked badly was that Grant had to fly back to Canada and they spliced the footage together for some SFX.

The good news is that Kara will stay on the air, so at least I'm happy about that.

buddy you're under some strange assumption. The only way this show is staying on the air is if it moves to CW.

cost+viewership, this show is gone otherwise

You could choose 6-8 high schools and send every graduating student through college with that money.

They already said CBS wants it, they're just negotiating over the price. There's a number of ways they could resolve that - moving it to the CW is a measure of last resort.

I'm just going to bemoan that we'll never get to see Cat Grant in her prime sniping at Lois and hitting on Clark.

Not a single source is saying that, everything that has been coming out is saying because they lose half their viewership that CBS isn't right place for the price. So they want to move it to save it sort of deal. CW has women in the right age range and then they could reduce cost.

>It sounds like she's shooting for a crossover, which if my COIE theories are true, this is all to be expected.
Except all the shows wrapped for the season nearly a month ago.

>Except all the shows wrapped for the season nearly a month ago.
Huh.

It won't look worse than the already shitty VFX it has on CBS. It might even look better when they don't have to pay for shooting in LA or Flockhart's salary.

I kinda don't want Supergirl to go to CW cause CW would probably ruin like they did with Arrow.

There's nothing to ruin.

All the shows finished filming their current seasons last month.

it, however, could have filmed another 7 episodes for the budget of the Adam Sandler Abomination Jack and Jill.

so, y'know, perspective.

your show is either going to cw or death.

Are you ready for a better supergirl?

This will never happen. They said the same shit about Constantine. Fuck CBS and network television in general. Fuck ABC for cancelling Agent Carter and probably Most Wanted.

They already have previous deals though because CW used to be WB, so unlike constantine, she would most likely fit well at CW and is a pre-existing property, I remember a lot of petitions to save it but that was NBC and NBC has been killing tons of shows for years.

No fuck if supergirl joins CW then it'll give felicity a chance to ruin it

>They do lightning bolt, green kryptonite trick and give felicity supergirl's powers.

>cancelling Agent Carter
>a bad thing
No.

Didn't even give him a damn blu-ray release.

Well I hope whatever you like gets cancelled.

user they'll give it a release down the road. I mean they just gave Lucifer a 2 year deal after this season. There is always hope

I thought the $3 mil was just payed to the WB for the right to show it on CBS?

Yeah but everybody fucking LOVES Lucifer. NBC did a fucking terrible job at advertising their great shows. Hannibal and Constantine both never stood a chance on that garage channel.

>Well I hope whatever you like gets cancelled.
If it makes you feel better, you already got your wish.

I didn't really wish it user.

The license fee CBS pays per episode is $3 mil. That goes straight into the budget.

Well not everyone, I mean it gets a lot of hate here because he isn't some david bowie clone.

I like it though a lot for what it is and since they're going to lean more into supernatural now, I hope more people will like it since that is what they wanted in the first place.

I'm 50% sure she stabbed someone in this show.