8 1/2

What the hell did I just watch?

I didn't get much of a plot; just something about a director working on a new idea for a film while many people were asking about it (I thought they acted cynical about it though). But this I didn't get it until half of the film, because some characters just came out of nowhere to ask about the synopsis and the other characters were doing something else entirely.

The transitions were a little confusing, you just went from the director being in a room to him entering another landscape/scene in other time (or whatever).

Sometimes I found it boring but I liked that there was a lot of movement (from the camera, the actors) and the sets were interesting.

>Redpill me

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/c6CgffwpXmY
youtube.com/watch?v=03m6CNujizE
youtube.com/watch?v=eq3XsLPCVRE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The film explores the creative process and writer's block, it also has a lot of autobiographical elements.
That's pretty much it.

It's a Federico Fellini movie. What the fuck were you expectIng?

Fellini getting high on his own farts

Why do people love this but hate the later work? City of Women and ROMA are great works, just very cartoonish.

all of this shit is just masturbation, feels good, means nothing.

tired of the "masturbation = meaningless" meme, you're not masturbating right mis amigonautismontangnistattatataat

In midlife a melancholy man looks back on his life, lovers and family to try to understand why he is this way. Very simple.

Fellini had a lot of pressure to make another hit, so he made a movie about his anxiety of being unable to measure up to everyone's expectations.

The flashbacks to childhood have great vulnerability and sweetness. There's a lot of very potent emotional content in the film but it really is not his most enjoyable film imo.

is this your first fellini film? Might be a difficult watch in that case

Yeah

OP here, I also liked that the actors had some energetic and positive energy (or whatever). It felt almost like a comedy...

>The movie begins with a strange sequence of a man trapped in a car and then (the same man?) it's floating in the sky but someone catches him with a rope attached to his ankle.

What was Fellini trying to convey here?

had some kind of energetic or positive vibe*

It's a dream sequence where his feelings of being stifled (creatively, spiritually) and futile escape attempts are shown.

ba dap pa da dum

ba dap pa da dum

Can we agree La Dolce Vita is the superior film?

Why people think is a dream sequence? Is Guido shown to be sleeping in the next scene or what?

I recommend you now watch La Dolce Vita, followed by La Notte, then La Grande Bellezza

Any Paparazzo's on Sup Forums? I wanna kick your ass.

I liked the fast and the furious 2 better.

What about La Strada and Amarcord?

It's a film about how shitty it can be to make a film. Supposedly Scorsese has cited it as the most accurate portrayal of film making ever.

Don't ask me about the ending though. Still don't know what to think about that.

C'est la vie of the rich who play pretend for the masses.
Was downright repulsive to watch but for Hollywood it seems that it hits home for whatever.

Why wouldn't you just watch the trilogy in order L'aaventura > La Notte > L'eclisse??

Daily reminder that "Giulietta Degli Spiriti" is the most patrician Fellini film.

>tfw you will never comfort Giulietta

he went too far into creating baroque dreamscapes that it became a circus. 8 1/2 is the best he's done with finding a nice balance with his artistic creativity, and a grounded narrative, "prova d'orchestra" is a very close second. Definitely give that film a watch if you haven't. Probably the best film about music ever made, at least classical.

Dunno, seemed pretty clear to me it was a dream.

youtu.be/c6CgffwpXmY

life's a circus, and all you can do is dance to the music

>ywn have a wife so grounded in her morals that she doesnt cheat even though you're a massive manwhore

pretty sure it was autobiographical, as fellinni was a serial cheater, and cast many of his mistresses

hmm. Maybe. I'll keep that in mind next time I watch it. Thanks bruh.

>ywn be an italian art film director with many beautiful italian actresses willing to be your mistress

Yeah that scene where she rejects the faun-guy at Suzy's party made me love her all the more.

And yes it was autobiographical to the degree that he literally got his wife, Giulietta Masina, to play "Giulietta" which is why I think she gave such a great performance.

>he think that casting couch is not the norm in Hollywood
I wish I had your world view

theres something about fellinni+rota films that always puts a smile on my face.
its cinema magic in its purest form

youtube.com/watch?v=03m6CNujizE

Yeah, but Hollywood is more of an capitalistic industry.

Italian cinema seems more loose and well... "artistic"; italian actresses thought they were doing art and fell for Fellini...

that was your first time watching kino. relish the feeling

I saw it as though the film he was making is the one we're watching. Thoughts?

Truly one of the most legendary duos in cinematic history.

youtube.com/watch?v=eq3XsLPCVRE

>Pfft, you don't know all about Fellini like I? What a pleb.

You are funny user,I like you.
Dont be so naive they all know what they are doing from the first moment.
There are really no morals with these people I think the term artist pretty much also includes lack of conciseness.

put me in the screencap

>five minutes
>nobody has checked these digits
Wtf is wrong with you Sup Forums

it's a director doing a character study on himself, pure kino