Some of the Calarts student shorts for this year came out

Some of the Calarts student shorts for this year came out.

This one is just goddamn adorable:
vimeo.com/164032499

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/164166205
vimeo.com/164001441
vimeo.com/channels/calartscharanimfilms2016/page:1
vimeo.com/164032499
vimeo.com/164798666
vimeo.com/164937130
youtube.com/watch?v=CPD7Bf4BfFI
youtube.com/watch?v=WKxIfOdwSJE
youtu.be/OloXRhesab0?t=2m26s
youtube.com/watch?v=1d4C1ZQKmw4
youtu.be/mkJzUxqciqk?t=1m48s
youtube.com/watch?v=NGFToiLtXro
supersantacruz.tumblr.com/archive
vimeo.com/channels/calartscharanimfilms2016/163109106
vimeo.com/channels/calartscharanimfilms2016/164741894
vimeo.com/channels/calartscharanimfilms2016/164772081
animetamago.jp/piece/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Others are more on the drama side:
vimeo.com/164166205

And others are just cool:
vimeo.com/164001441

If you wanna see them all for yourself, check out the Calarts channel on vimeo:
vimeo.com/channels/calartscharanimfilms2016/page:1

>vimeo.com/164032499
34 when?

>inb4 muh calarts boogeyman

ADVENTURE TIME SHIT

Fucking called it.

Like clockwork

It was merely satirical friends!

>cute scientist grill going on science-y adventures
a bit cliche, but i like it

Meh- predictable.

I was hoping it was revealed she was a robot replacement for his wife that died and he resents her for looking like his wife but not being his wife with a final shot revealing this as an "In Memoriam" over the picture frame or something.

Incredible part is you can actually see a bit of a shared style here, and it looks NOTHING like CN's stuff.

I like how this student completely abused the fact that you don't need a license to use copywritten music for educational works.

10/10

>Beauty and the Beast reference
Amazing

Also I really like that doodle style, it's cute

Got to admit, that ending smile was pretty sweet. Rest was a bit by the numbers, although the sheer look of awe when she saw his donk was good. Okay, maybe it was the coming back to life part. But I prefer to think donk.

Also the old Incredible Hulk walking away down the road music for the sasquatch.

Thank God for Fair Use

OTP

I was getting a serious wincest vibe from those two

>She murdered 2 people in this short

vimeo.com/164798666

is Flannelson still in Calarts?

>Love
>Sasquatch

Saved

>tfw my friend is a freshman this year
>tfw his isn't very good in comparison to the other fresmen
Makes me feel like shit lying to him

holy shit she's so cute

I think I just found a new waifu to add to my waifu chart...

It's not linked here: (maybe because it was a first year film), but this one's pretty neat

vimeo.com/164937130

The majority of CalArts shorts with mediocre and never appear online. These are just the best ones where the student actually puts effort and takes advantage of the school's resources.

I'm relatively certain they upload all the character animation films on here.

Still find it hilarious how people are actually blaming the school and not the TV studios that will literally hire anyone and let themselves be a training ground for first-timers. CN even hired a fan artist to work on the PPG reboot.

That was weird. I liked it

I found the OP short enjoyable, at least. You're retarded for spouting memes before watching

Not nearly. This Vimeo group only represents films that students have uploaded themselves. Was at their open show a couple weeks ago, and there's at least a few hours worth of shorts that I'm not seeing here. The show itself is nearly eight hours long.

Haven't been captivated like that in a while.

This was great but the voice acting sucked.

Eh, it's cute but the animation was horrible! I can't believe this is from some who is studying at CalArts and has paid money to learn about the principles of animation in full detail. I've seen YouTube videos with better animation than this. Still, it was pretty cute. I just hate the animation.

Surprisingly good. The first few seconds made me think it was going to be utter shit tbqhwyfam

How can you master the principals of animation by just learning it in full detail? It's clearly a matter of practicing, like every other art form. I think the animation is acceptable, he just needs more practice.

stupid weeaboo

Yeah the VA is probably just the animator herself.

Agreed.

The short's creator is actually gonna have a short be made for Frederator and Sony's upcoming Go! Cartoons project

They take months studying just the basics and turning in assignments. This short was just kind of bland. The designs weren't all that interesting and the animation wasn't all that impressive. All I'm saying is that I've seen YouTuber and even other anons make better looking animations than that and I'm shocked that animation was the result of someone who paid money to study animation.

>herself

That's neat. Of all the shorts posted, it was certainly the most unique

stupid weeaboo

(You)

Even if you paid a ton of money, the only way that you will master animation is by practicing and studying more on your own time. This is why some youtubers are better at animation than actual CalArts students. You can't just pay to get your skill, you have to earn it.

Meh, was boring. The only good part was the sexy anime face.

I liked the sampled music throughout.

>As Long as You Love Me
youtube.com/watch?v=CPD7Bf4BfFI
>Crazy Little Thing Called Love
youtube.com/watch?v=WKxIfOdwSJE
>Barber of Seville - Overture
youtu.be/OloXRhesab0?t=2m26s
>Not sure what the jazz song during the lab scene is
>Lonely Man
youtube.com/watch?v=1d4C1ZQKmw4
>Don't recognize the sad piano music when she thinks he's dead
>Transformation
youtu.be/mkJzUxqciqk?t=1m48s
>Can't Take My Eyes Off of You
youtube.com/watch?v=NGFToiLtXro

Wow, CalArts is literally just a plaque on a wall. That's Newgrounds-tier stuff. And I don't mean good Newgrounds.

Well the thing is the work this artist produced is strongly suggesting she hasn't even learned fundamental drawing principles.

Pretty much this, the description said that he is in his 4th year in CalArts.

So he must have a lot of practice by now.

it was cute, i enjoyed the others too. the sound effects were always off though.

He either slacked through a couple of his classes or just hasn't practiced at all outside of the required assignments. There's clearly a lot he needs to improve in.

My guess is that after he graduates, he can get into Nick and CN, but not Disney TV and movie studios.

Btw, found his blog. Turns out he is better at some areas of animation than the short showed. Could be because he was on a tight deadline.

supersantacruz.tumblr.com/archive

It's really that easy?

Nick and CN are not the best of the best, but are big names.

Start as a storyboard artist in those channels is pretty neat and almost a good future in the industry.

It is when you go to CalArts. People go there because of how easy it is to network with the studios in the LA area. Studios like Nick and CN tend to hire people that are local and are the most eager. You don't have to go to CalArts to get into big name studios, but it certainly does make the path simpler.

Not everyone who studies animation at CalArts is there strictly to become animators. Some go on to be story artists, or character designers, etc. You can usually tell from the focus of the film... some shorts are real chicken-stratch; basically animatics... but the storytelling is super engaging. And there have been plenty of one-note gag shorts that have stellar animation. The shorts that stand out are made by those keen enough to manage their time right in order to make it that way.

Also, Nick and CN are now looking at the internet to find new people. Nick has a yearly Animated Shorts Program where anyone can submit their 3 minute short storyboard online to Nick and make it a reality (but only if it's really good and worthy to Nick). Meanwhile, CN has hired a tumblr fan artist to work on the PPG reboot.

This is also important to know. A lot of people from CalArts don't actually work in animation. TV animation is usually done overseas.

This is true; though I've known many Carartians who've made the jump from LA to wherever those foreign jobs reside. For some, life as an animation artist can be very nomadic... though it's in the pursuit of doing what you love, so I can't judge too hard.

Oh shit, that's my friend's short! Cool.

That's cool. I actually saw this short before it was posted in this thread and enjoyed watching it.

How did you become friends?

Damn, she's /lit/ as fuck

To add further (and to drive home the time management thing), you're actually encouraged not to attempt to make the film all colored and pretty until you have the story and rough animation down pat... and 1st/2nd year students have time limits placed on their shorts to encourage them to finish. Whether or not these guidelines are followed is totally up to the student though, and some get so caught up trying to please their fickle internet following, or make their festival-ready magnum opus, that they simply don't finish in time. Or they end up crapping out a sub-par reflection of their efforts.

or...maybe...it was simplistic on purpose?! jesus christ Sup Forums

Tumblr.

Followed him there from art he'd posted, he followed back and we wound up talking together and hitting it off. We've been friends for nearly six years. He's a pretty cool dude, it's definitely neat to see his stuff posted here.

>but the storytelling is super engaging.
wew lad

Also why the fuck would you sign up for a character animation class and barely commit to animating? It just seems like a waste of money when a basic illustrating degree will give you the same skills.

It sucks on purpose, yes.

The biggest problems with the short don't have to do with the art style or animation. Personally I felt the writing was too safe and the pacing wasn't too good.

At least this guy understands camera movement.

The problem with so many of these animations (OP's video especially) is that the people drawing don't understand cinematography. They do all these scenes from the perspective of a single wide-angle shot, only rarely deviating from that "shot". It's lazy and takes away from one of the amazing upsides of animation that YOU AREN'T HINDERED BY A PHYSICAL CAMERA. Your imagination is the camera and every shot you draw can be done from any conceivable angle, even ones impossible to capture in the physical world.

It irks me to see one of the biggest advantages of drawn media be completely wasted because the creator doesn't bother to learn their craft.

The oldest stories, told well, are still well-told stories.

True, but every music cue was the right cue.

Adsorbed one and shrank the other.

>shrank the other.
Who was then carried off and devoured by an owl.

Because people are allowed to specialize? You don't become a brake repair mechanic without having a working knowledge of the whole drivetrain.

>character animation class
It's an whole curriculum. Get your facts straight.

It reminds of Bonus Stage in so many ways.
Not a good thing btw.

Because CalArts is a good way of getting connections to big name studios. That's pretty much the only reason why anyone's going there.

She didn't call or force the owl to take him.

First he was a hunter, then he was the prey.

Tumblr is more than six years old? Damn. I'm getting old.

I'm reminded of the Animator Expo held by Hideaki Anno last year.
Shame that none of the shorts are available to watch on the site anymore.

Yuuup. Came out in 2007, I joined in 2008. It's actually almost ten years old, which is crazy.

And that only makes it four years younger than Sup Forums, which at this point isn't that long

40k a semester for this quality garbage. UN-fucking-believable.

Yeah, they really aren't that far apart in age, but Sup Forums somehow feels much older.

I liked it.

vimeo.com/channels/calartscharanimfilms2016/163109106

how to do the "simple minimalist style" right

vimeo.com/channels/calartscharanimfilms2016/164741894
this one was really cute

Is the Anime Mirai Young Animator Training Project still a thing? I feel like I didn't see anything come out for 2015.

>milk before cereal

The absolute madman!

vimeo.com/channels/calartscharanimfilms2016/164772081
This one is surreal, in a good way

>the three girls never actually eat their food
nice touch

Wow, yeah, that's the best I've seen so far.

>reverse clone process
Yeesh.

animetamago.jp/piece/

Grazie. Did they change names?

According to wikipedia the Association of Japanese Animations (AJA) took over this project and renamed it to Anime Tamago.