Paterson

Was it actually the films goal to fill the viewer with existential angst and dread? Many people have interpreted it to be about finding your own avenues of creativity, and your first and last piece of art being the life you live, but all i got out of it was a fucking existential crisis.

His mundane job, the brave act of getting out of bed every morning to repeat the same shitty tasks over and over again, a girlfriend who is impulse and fucking two dimensional both in personality and how she expresses herself. Was the display of their relationship supposed to be sweet and nice? Because i felt like their dynamic was fucking awful and repeatedly made me wonder whether this is all that awaits me in life. Not making any profound connections to other humans, living with a partner that doesn't stimulate you intellectually or otherwise, not having any ambition for anything...

Lars von Trier tier depressing to be honest

I grew up in Paterson NJ. My great uncle use to be mayor there

This movie did not capture any of the urban ghetto-ness of the Silk City

I would be happy if I woke up next to a qt Persian wife every morning, went to a job that I kind of liked, wrote some poems, go home and try to help qt with whatever quirky bs she wants to do that day, then take my dog out and grab a beer before I go to bed. It seemed like a nice routine. More absurdism than existentialism. If this is all Sisyphus had to go through it would be easy to smile.

I felt it captured the beauty in mundane life to be honest but I can see that as well and felt it was there under the surface of the film. Paterson himself seemed almost alien-like in his observations of everyone else around him. There's a lot to get out of the film. I did find his wife was very loving and cute but definitely saw the whole black and white art patterns as some kind of visual motif for her innate need to constantly express herself (was post-modern garbage looking shit by the way). There's also a lot of beauty in it cause they seem direct opposites of each other - one content with his life and herself constantly seeking some outlet to make herself happy, yet they work together very well despite their differences.

Really nice wholesome film.

How could you say that!? It's like so apparant that he and his girlfriend don't connect at all, but neither of them questions their dynamic. How can this be something you'd be okay with if it was the climax of your life? I don't know man...

This guy explains
Just because they aren't the same doesn't mean they don't connect. They both tired their best and succeeded at nurturing each other. She got to sell her cupcakes, he kept on writing poems.

I thought they didn't work well together at all, and i also thought that this was actually something the film tried to portray. I honestly can't say whether it completely failed or succeeded for me, because i seem to have gotten something else entirely out of it than most other people.

Pretty sure he would've stopped writing poems then and there if the japanese purofoundo dude didn't show up and gift him that notebook. Not even if his gf had gotten him another notebook. Of course that's just an assumption

Paterson was ruined when black """people""" and other mystery meat started moving in.

Maybe, but I feel like he would have found some other kind of outlet. I feel like every little thing he did,from waking up tohearing conversations at the bar all added up to his poems.

It seemed like Paterson got the most happiness out of seeing his wife try stuff out. And she was happy to know that he had his poetry, even if she didn't show it to her.

O H I O
B L U E
T I P

I got the dvd, imma watch it again, see if I get the despair and failure to connect that you're talking about. Any two interpretations can be equally valid Imo. I'll get back to y'all.

It's a movie about routine and how you can spice up your life by adding little bits here and there or that interesting stuff can still happen even if you follow a routine everyday (the bar scenes) . Another one is dealing with creative loss but that shouldn't deter one from still pursuing it. Last one is to keep your dog on a leash

How did they afford such a nice home when he was a bus driver and she was unemployed?

that was a nice home to you? you need to get out of the city once in awhile.

I felt like he actually got kind of annoyed by the fact that his wife seemed to come up with some half assed life plans every day that she would end up not committing to. Especially after she got that guitar.

I felt like the way she's all about fucking black and white in her art was kind of deliberate

I assume Paterson is just a shithole where a tiny house costs just as much as a fucking apartment in NYC

It didn't look like they were renting it

at no point is he ever annoyed at her. it's about the balance between extreme impulsiveness and extreme routine, and how each lifestyle is informed and supported by the other.

she also did a really great job with the cupcake sale.

why were moonrise kingdom in this

jarmusch is a fan of the films of wes anderson.

just a cameo that ended up being more distracting than anything else

>I think they're gonna grow more
What an udderstatement

I bet he enjoys them

>learning something new about history
>distraction
pleb

i loved this movie so much

Water falls.
Water falls from the bright air.
It falls like hair,
falling across a young girl's shoulders.

Water falls
making pools in the asphalt,
dirty mirrors with clouds
and buildings inside.

His poems were kind of shit desu

Comfy poem.

Yeah I didn't see him get annoyed except at her affinity towards the dog. He probably did think her impulsiveness might be a bit reckless, particularly in the finance department, but he just wanted to see her do well and enjoy her life.

he probably made peace with it years age when they first starting dating. his military background indicates extreme regimen, so maybe his entire attraction to her relies on the fact that she's the complete opposite of that.

*years ago when they first started dating

whew, it's that time of night when my english starts falling apart.

i'll tear you apart ;)

Lucky you. I have a life much like that and it fucking sucks.

I live with my parents and haven't gotten laid in a year. Dealing with legal trouble and working a job that's alright sometimes. I'm 20, a few thousand dollars in debt and halfway done withan associates degree. If I end up in a situation like Paterson I would love it.

>and haven't gotten laid in a year.
>he's actually had sex
Fuck off

It's not worth it user, learn from johnny depps mistake, don't let the succubus get you too.