SHAZAM! Storytime

Six stories showing the debuts of Captain Marvel, Junior, Mary Marvel, Uncle Marvel, Black Adam and the first issue under DC after the lawsuit.

Starting with Whiz Comics #2 from 1940.

Fun fact: Whiz Comics #1 doesn't exist. For what I understand issue 2 was a re-print of Flash Comics #1 done after it got a cease & desist from DC who owned the character named Flash.

>some stranger comes up and tells you to go with him to give you super powers

Not sure if that was good for kids to read.

Now the debut of Captain Marvel Jr. in Whiz Comics #25 from 1941.

Clever nazi...

Billy Batson would be a rape survivor in this day and age.

Be right back, have to take care of something.

Now the debut of Mary Marvel, in "Captain Marvel Adventures" #18 from 1942.

>very big into Shazam
>more than half of the scans of the series' various titles are in such poor quality that it looks like somebody just went nuts with the sharpen filter in photoshop

You know, it's already bad enough that DC is content just to not re-release anything Captain Marvel/Shazam related past his revival run from the 70's

I know right. I was going to storytime the first five issues of Whiz comics but some were almost unreadable I went with debuts instead.

Have something to do so it may take a litle to resume.

That's not the only time that happened in the Golden Age, Amazing Man Comics' first issue was numbered as issue five.

And there's the fucking fiche scans.

Aw bitchin! I just came home from looking for some Shazam during FCBD. Unsurprisingly, they had nothing. Thanks OP, you the real MVP.

Say Uncle Marvel, from Wow Comics #18 (1943)

Now we are talking. The first appearence of Black Adam in "The Marvel Family" # 1 from 1945.

This issue also gave us the debut and only appearence of Baby Marvel!!

Captain Marvel was so popular back in the day, DC decided to sue the shit out of Fawcett. In the mid 50s they became unable to publish Captain Marvel comics anymore, so they sold the rights to the character to DC a decade later.
This is their first issue from 1973, titled "Shazam!" because of a cease & desist from Marvel.