Say something nice about his filmography

Say something nice about his filmography

Its literally all kino.

He hasn't made a bad film yet I haven't seen Fear X

it has autism

great cinematography, overhyped but still ok characters and plots, 7/10 director in my book

neon demon was trash

Only good movie he ever made was Drive, but it was a masterpiece.

It features Elle Fanning.

Bronson, Only God Forgives, and Drive are all very good films.

Valhalla was something I'd probably never want to sit through again. Haven't seen any of his other films yet.

The music in drive was good

Drive is the film with most mass-appeal.

Way to out yourself as a pleb.

You are given The Towel. What is your next move?

It is slightly better than 100 000 gallons of liquid shit.

Lucky.

It's not below mediocre, but not above it, either.

I hug him and wear it to show him how much it means that he got me that.

Have you never had autismo friends?

The Pusher trilogy is some good shit

would you call it... dare I say it..., mediocre?

Mayhaps I would, my dear friend.

Best vistas in modern cinema.

How is that a bad thing? VR, OGF and TND feel undercooked, which makes the visual storytelling feel hollow, meanwhile early films like Pusher are raw and visceral but don't have much artistic value. Drive shines because it's a solid genre story sublimed by aesthetics and depth which comes from its deconstruction/reconstruction of genre history (unlike TND which borrows from Argento, etc. for no reason, there's a meaning to the influences of westerns, Melville, how the city is shot, how the characters are developed, how the narrative unfolds), it's romantic yet twisted, he achieves rare cinematic grace and it's something he could have only achieved with something that has universal appeal. He has a great eye but is a shit writer and doesn't know how to keep his autism and ego in check unless he's working under limits.

He reminds me of Seijun Suzuki, whose genius came from working under studio limitations who imposed stories onto him and always trying to push against studio obstacles by experimenting visually, but the moment he became free to do whatever he wanted and wasn't forced to use classic narrative structures, his films just became self-indulgent messes, the tragic irony being that the more he pushed his aesthetics without rules, the more they lost impact. It's a matter of balance.

at least he's humble about it. He said it himself he got too over his head with pusher and bleeder and ended up fucking up. Looks like he's coming back to it though with the neon demon

I really like him. A shame I can't find a torrent for his documentaries.

What do you think about the next Refn kino?

Too Old to Die Young

It explores the criminal underbelly of Los Angeles by following characters' existential journeys from being killers to becoming samurais in the City of Angels.

French critics disagree

>I watched Karate Kid yesterday, Ray. They say that the crane technique is the way of the samurai but I'm a fucking shogun and I'm gonna make my enemies go the way of dodo. Caspere knew this.

>it's a dog eat dog world Ray. And I ...drive
>what?
>...
>...yeah

Drive was a fluke, great visuals though.