JUST

>JUST

What was the point of this? It was all pretty good except for this piece of shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

mindlessones.com/2015/05/09/earthme/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>implying The Just wasn't easily one of the best issues
Found the pleb. Pax, Ultra, and Thunderworld are the only issues that come remotely close to it in quality.

It was just letting you know what comic books will soon turn into.

OP is a turbopleb

It was all GOAT, pleb

Just was great, tho

This, it's a look into the future, just look at shit like Hellcat, it's literally the same kind of "problems" these heroes faced. The use of 90's characters was very adequate as well, since those are the characters future writers will have grown up with. It's easily one of the best Multiversity issues.
And I'm not saying it just because I'm a 90'sfag who enjoyed seeing Wally, Argus, et al again.

Superhero ennui and hedonism is entertaining. It also shows how the Gentry can make an already terrible Earth worse.

Except The Just was the best issue.

I thought it was very charming.

I really liked how the world felt like a comic story that went on too long. I mean, the world in The Just already had their "happily ever after" style ending, with all conflict, past, present, and future, being eliminated. But the narrative continued despite that, stagnant and rotting alive.

I just found the issue to be the most interesting thematically of all the Multiversity issues.

It's far closer to 70s-80s team comics. Shit like Hellcat is single protagonist comedy-oriented while The Just is a large cast soap opera. If anything Thunderworld fits with what you're describing, being a light-hearted retro-throwback with quirky villains.

And now I want to see the adventures of Hellcat, spunky, single supergal in NYC, by Grant Morrison.

The Just was one of my favorites out of Multiversity, probably right below Pax Americana and Thunderworld.

It was an interesting look into a Post-JL world. Something infinitely more interesting than "Oh look the Nazis won" or "Here is this pulp-y universe...?" The idea of using combat simulations as therapy, Boy Supes being this meathead, the Damian/Lex relationship dynamic. It was just a lot of new ground that hasn't been tread before.

I would have thought 90sfags would dislike this issue, since it shows all the 90s characters as self-absorbed, boring, vacuous assholes

I just enjoyed it because under all the soap opera and teen drama, there was this really strong feeling of unease with Batman investigating the suicide and Ultra Comics. And then all hell broke loose.

That was awesome though. Fuck outta her, bad taste.

I was just happy to see them again one more time.
Besides, it's not like Damian and Chris were that different

That would be the OCs. The 90s characters are barely in it.

Post top 3 Multiversity issues
>Ultraa
>Pax Americana
>Guidebook

It's hard to rank them, really. All of them have their own things to offer that the others don't. The exception I would make is probably Society of Superheroes although that one is still good.

mindlessones.com/2015/05/09/earthme/

>Something infinitely more interesting than "Oh look the Nazis won" or "Here is this pulp-y universe...?"
This. I'd love to have a Just ongoing that's able to throw in the kind of commentary DCYou Prez went for.

SoS isn't really a story though, it's three disconnected vignettes. I feel one of the biggest flaws with Multiversity was it's structure, only about half of the books were written in a way conducive to the single issue format.

Yeah, but I just felt it was one of the weaker ones. It feels like whatever it has to say, other issues say better. It was great to have a look at Earth-20 though.

Also, barring Guidebook and Pax Americana, I think Morrison never intended them to be self-contained single issues. I mean, he suffers no delusion that it'll happen, but he writes most of them like they're the first issue in an ongoing series. Which fits into the real-world comic books motif that Multiversity was going for, so I didn't have a problem with it.

If that were the case he dropped the ball on SoS, The Just, Ultra, and Mastermen. Thunderworld to some extent too, but in a different direction.

Mastermen was definitely feeling like the first part of a mini though

I hope Morrison revisits most of these when he does the next Multiversity thing.

I'd really want him to do more continuity shattering shit. Something like Superman Beyond, but with Batman or the Flash.

I really want to see the Multiversity ideas expanded by lesser/younger writers. Give Gerard Way a book on the vampire earth. Digital comics, like Injustice or Infinite Crisis.

If makes me kek, is good enough

He purposedly made them like that, according to interviews.

>he dropped the ball on SoS, The Just, Ultra, and Mastermen. Thunderworld to some extent too
How so? He introduced the key characters, he introduced the central premise and conceit of the world, and he gave us glimpses and hints of an overarching plotline. I think even Ultra Comics had the potential to be a miniseries if not an ongoing.

>Ultra
>The Filth___
>Thunderworld

I'd rather he explore The Flash, the Speed Force, and what it means to his world-building.

I've wanted his quintessential Flash story for so long, it'd be a shame if it got hogtied by some Alternate Earths Checklist just because nobody else is doing them.

Yeah, but it's set up so that it only has one story to tell.

Only if Way revamps Vampire Earth; it's a pretty lazy concept as is. Really though, they should just relaunch Elseworlds as a digital title with a rotating creative team. Short arcs and one-shots only, only Earths that aren't appearing in other titles, explicitly non-canon stories are fine but if you pitch a "Batman but X" story it'd better be damn good.

>Morrison wasted his coolest meta concept on a one-off allegory for his opinions on the mainstream comic book industry

At least Doug Mahnke was in top form.

I don't know, I like "Batman but X" stories. I like Batman stories, and I like "but X" stories.

I think it could just be a cool horror comic, like American Vampire but with Batman and Superman.

I like your taste

I expected stupid vapid criticisms of consumer culture and instead I got a pretty damn gripping whodunnit mystery. I liked this issue a lot.

>Morrison writing a Flashes of the Multiverse miniseries

I've been collecting signatures from all the artists who drew profiles for the Earths in the Multiverse. It's really fun, I've probably got more than half of them by now and it's really cool to hear from them about how they got to work on or design some of the characters.

that's pretty neat

How were you able to track them down?

He travels the Multiverse duh

The last page has the credits for all the artists, and I live near Seattle so whenever ECCC posts comic artists I cross-check to see who's there.
I've gotten pretty lucky with some of them - for instance Emanuela Lupacchino doesn't do a lot of American conventions. I don't have the big names (Gary Frank, Jae Lee, Darwyn Cooke) but I've got a good number of smaller ones.

Any interesting stories? Who've you got so far?

My favorite story is from Todd Nauck who drew Earth-32: Because the Bat-Lantern "Batman: In Darkest Night" didn't have the bat-ears, upon getting the gig he quickly asked if he could add the ears back on.
It was funny with Marcus To (drew several Earths plus the main Guidebook story) because he implied that he took the gig on the down-low because he was doing a lot of Marvel work at the time.
Jake Wyatt (JL Beyond, Justice Lords) was really excited to do the gig because he liked the animated shows.

Otherwise I have Stewart (Thunderworld), Jurgens, Luppachino, Burnham, Fairbairn, and Shaner. It's a good start, and a real fun checkbook these past two years.

This is the world getting fucked by Dame Merciless, correct?

I really just want Morrison to write more Dickbats and Damian. Is it really that fucking hard?

Didn't he say one of the Batman Black and White stories would be about them?

I think before that someone mentioned having a nightmare about her early on? Been a while since I read it though.

Did Shaner say anything about Earth 36?

Just kind of a general "it was a fun project"/"thanks for bringing this one" reaction.
I get the sense that he REALLY likes that more cheery Golden-Silver Age stuff.

yeah, i thought they were supposed to be possible jumping-off points for new books.

Morrison is really wasted on DC.

>Any half-way imaginative creator is really wasted on any of the big two.

>Implying Morrison even has editors
>Implying that they don't let Morrison just do whatever crap he wants
He doesn't want to do any more ongoings for the Big Two, how hard is it to grasp?

Writing on Morrison for an honors paper. The Just is a continuation of a situationist theme that Morrison has repeated many times:

From Debord's Society of the Spectacle, the situationist go-to (warning, verbose:)
>The celebrity, the spectacular representation of a living human being, embodies this banality by embodying the image of a possible role. Being a star means specializing in the seemingly lived; the star is the object of identification with the shallow seeming life that has to compensate for the fragmented productive specializations which are actually lived. Celebrities exist to act out various styles of living and viewing society unfettered, free to express themselves globally. They embody the inaccessible result of social labor by dramatizing its by-products magically projected above it as its goal: power and vacations, decision and consumption, which are the beginning and end of an undiscussed process. In one case state power personalizes itself as a pseudo-star; in another a star of consumption gets elected as a pseudo-power over the lived. But just as the activities of the star are not really global, they are not really varied.
(...)
>The imposed image of the good envelops in its spectacle the totality of what officially exists, and is usually concentrated in one man, who is the guarantee of totalitarian cohesion. Everyone must magically identify with this absolute celebrity or disappear. This celebrity is master of non-consumption, and the heroic image which gives an acceptable meaning to the absolute exploitation that primitive accumulation accelerated by terror really is. If every Chinese must learn Mao, and thus be Mao, it is because he can be nothing else. Wherever the concentrated spectacle rules, so does the police.

The parallels between superheroes and the celebrity, both as people we emulate and people we experience life through vicariously are fairly clear, superheroes are simply explicitly fictional and celebrities are implicitly so.

(Cont.) Final Crisis, Animal Man, The Just, 52, Flex Mentallo, even Zenith before Morrison had written a word for DC, all of these works and more have the relation between superhero and celebrity front and center at some point. Morrison effectively says in all of them that the parallels are easily made, but to do so is a limit and inhibitor both on the superhero and on the reader. Heroes are not supposed to be a wish fulfillment of power for the reader the same way an episode of MTV cribs is supposed to be wish fulfillment of wealth. Morrison's heroes are always "other." When we try to insert ourselves into them (as we do in Ultra Comics,) we are actually actively disempowering ourselves by subjecting ourselves to the limits of the author's whims ("whose voice are you hearing?") Even books where characters are enough of a blank slate that we could feasibly insert ourselves with, the big "I can see you" moment willfully separates us again as an individual living in a real world outside the text.
It's anti-escapism in escapist text.

ITT:Plebs

>tfw my least favourite Multiversity books were The Just, Pax Americana and Ultra Comics
>couldn't get into the artstyle of The Just and it all seemed kinda boring
>had no fucking idea what was going on with Pax until I read a review that explained it page by page, which sucked all the fun out of it
>Ultra Comics felt like nothing was happening
I guess I'm just not cut out for ambitious storytelling, huh. I liked Thunderworld best, since it almost seemed like a celebration of "let a story be a story". SoS was enjoyable for the pulp aesthetic, the Guidebook appealed to my love of lists and alternate universes, and Mastermen... was kind of there?
>tl;dr reflecting on the fact that I'm a pleb

Quick defense of Mastermen as well:
I personally think that Morrison is being critical of "what if the Nazis won" universes, and the idea that it promotes a stagnant culture. America, Britain, et al. is so reliant on the defeat of the Nazis to cement its greatness that it means that the Nazis need to be fought forever, at least in a fictional space, to big up that image. Freedom Fighters itself started to get put out by DC just a few years after Vietnam; fucked up that war? Remember that really good war?
Earth 2 used characters that fought in WWII, but they were allowed to progress past it. Freedom fighters needed to exist someplace where the Nazis won for anything to even make sense. A removal from actual history to enjoy historical victories.
This removal from real history is exactly what we see in the comic itself. Nazi Superman is the only one who was there, while son of nazi Batman is exclaiming that all the atrocities of the past have nothing to do with him (a common defense even today regarding the legacy of racism, colonialism, etc.)
We've got an ahistorical setting designed to placate a nostalgic ahistorical mindset in the real world. All Morrison is doing is writing the latter more conspicuously into the former.

So everyone agrees that Mastermen was the worst issue right? Nothing against it in particular. but the only thing I can remember was the first page.

Glad OP got called out on being a pleb/fag so quickly and by literally everyone

>Emanuela Lupacchino doesn't do a lot of American conventions

I fucking wish. She's pretty as fuck for someone who does comic art.

Op is a gigantic faggot and has shit taste.

No. SoS is by far the weakest.

I mean I as someone who really liked The Just and Pax you're not wrong in saying Thunderworld is best. It was my favorite and was the most fun while also being the most typical comic booky story. You're probably just the kind of person who prefers their comics slightly goofy without any sort of pretentious message(and to be fair I love Morrison but he does get super pretentious).

Anyone else go to these threads just to laugh at the sad existence of Morrisonfags?

Multiversity as a whole was fucking awesome.

I think the best works of Morrison are the ones where you can enjoy it on both a superficial reading and a "deeper" reading. The Just deals with somewhat heady issues like celebrity decadence and ennui, but at the same time it's just fun to read about bratty listless teenage superheroes.

Morrison always gets that obtuse reputation, but when you think about it the amount of works that only work on the hyperanalytical level are a minority. To be fair though, you have two of those in this series, Pax Americana and Ultra.

How would you guys rank the Multiversity solo issues?

Here's mine:

Pax Americana > The Just > Ultra Comics > The Society of Superheroes > Thunderworld Adventures > Mastermen

That's pretty much what Multiversity Too is.