/lbg/

Letterboxd thread: post profiles and discuss what you have recently watched

QOTD: is racism in film good?

Other urls found in this thread:

letterboxd.com/machill54/
letterboxd.com/robertopancake/
nationalpost.com/m/wp/arts/movies/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/arts/movies/cinema-is-gone-according-to-martin-scorsese-younger-people-just-dont-understand
letterboxd.com/Arokz/
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/82186895/#82208977
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Racism is not a thing. The white race is an objectively superior culture.

Fucking water meters, fuck you

does blissfully yours start with this scene?
i think my copy might be fucked

Serious question. How do I get better at reviewing film?

Type out what you tell the voice in your head about a movie

review films

letterboxd.com/machill54/

tfw slightly more excited for twin peaks than I was yesterday
what's the best version of Dellamorte Dellamore to watch does anybody know

1. Start with a quote from the movie. It'll be your calling card
2. Seperate your talking points into categories so it's easier to read
3. Have you're own rating system on the bottom that contradicts the one the site already has
4. Give every MCU film 4.5/5
5. Have your favorite films be the ones that girl you loved in high school said she liked once in passing and you clung to for years

Write a personal anecdote that has nothing to do with the film

Do what the most followed ones do.

Give one sentence "joke" reviews and don't capitalize anything.

>does blissfully yours start with this scene?
yes

letterboxd.com/robertopancake/

>QOTD: is racism in film good?
Funny you should ask, I watched King Kong recently and it had some racist and sexist themes going on, but I couldn't exactly tell if they were intentional. Anyone have any theories as to the relationship between race and sexuality in King Kong?

It was also funny seeing the reviews of Decline of Western Civilization full of shock that punk rock wasn't an inclusive and diverse safe space for golden hearted young rebels.

But to answer the QOTD, it's not really good or bad honestly.

Serious answer: Review more movies. You can't get better at something without doing it. You'll eventually notice yourself repeating yourself or not being entirely clear and you'll fix it as you review more and more. Don't do this 11 days! Can't wait.

Has anybody seen Melody?
Is it really the happiest film of all time?

why do you have short films in your watchlist? just watch them everytime you come across one you retard

Sometimes I'm not in the mood to watch a short film. But when I am, I have a bunch I can plow through.

shit excuse
>baww im sleepy so I can't be bothered to download something that has caught my eye and will download in 10 seconds because it's 100mb and then sit there for 4 mins
>better keep browsing letterboxd for 45 mins to find short movies to add to my watchlist instead
replace your chandelier with a noose please

Slept what is your fucking problem

He likes anime, he is mentally deficient

What's wrong with that? I wasn't under the impression that I need your advice on when or how to watch movies.

I hate movies

what have I done now?

Is it in bad etiquette to not have four films under favorites?

rate my tastes Sup Forums

27amdi34, why did you rate only God forgives 1 star? I thought you liked art films?

>“Cinema is gone,” Scorsese says. “The cinema I grew up with and that I’m making, it’s gone.”

>“The theatre will always be there for that communal experience, there’s no doubt. But what kind of experience is it going to be?” he continues. “Is it always going to be a theme-park movie? I sound like an old man, which I am. The big screen for us in the ’50s, you go from Westerns to Lawrence of Arabia to the special experience of 2001 in 1968. The experience of seeing Vertigo and The Searchers in VistaVision.”

>Scorsese points to the proliferation of images and the over-reliance on superficial techniques as trends that have diminished the power of cinema to younger audiences. “It should matter to your life,” he says. “Unfortunately the latest generations don’t know that it mattered so much.”

>Since the election of Donald Trump, some have expressed hope for a return to the kind of ’70s filmmaking Scorsese is synonymous with.

>“If the younger people have something to say and they find a way to say it through visual means as well as literary, there’s the new cinema,” says Scorsese. But the current climate reminds him more of the ’50s of his youth. “I’m worried about double-think or triple-think, which is make-you-believe you have the freedom, but they can make it very difficult to get the picture shown, to get it made, ruin reputations. It’s happened before.”

nationalpost.com/m/wp/arts/movies/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/arts/movies/cinema-is-gone-according-to-martin-scorsese-younger-people-just-dont-understand

*SNIFFS*

Oh look, it's another DCuck outing themselves

Anime, Wes Anderson, meme flicks

How about no?

Anime website newfriend

Previous thread:

>Anyone have any theories as to the relationship between race and sexuality in King Kong?

Yea King Kong is literally the Godzilla of black people. And like Godzilla, the metaphor seemed to get lost in the commercialization but somehow most people still know what Godzilla is conceptually but not King Kong, even though the latter always seemed much more obvious to me.

Gonna have to finally watch Son of Kong to see where it all went so wrong.

YOU'RE SO BIG

For you.

how do we fix /lbg/?

for a start, you fuck off

>summary of No Country For Old Men
>copy and paste of a quote by Lincoln
>self-righteous clown claiming he's the only person in the world to "get" that Scream and Starship Troopers are satire

This confirms that r/truefilmers are retards pretending to be smart and /lbg/ is full of geniuses pretending to be retarded.

Why would a genius pretend to be retarded? You are what you pretend to be.

I'm here because I thought I was in good company

Still mad that LB deleted that because it didn't align with their views. Lost so many followers from it, fucking worth it.

>LB deleted that
Seriously? Cinemos when.

I'm the one who made that comment regarding realism, and I'm neither aeltbx or synt

Yup, didn't break any rules. That's actually why I posted it because I knew I couldn't get in trouble, yet they deleted it anyways.

Cinemos is just as cucked. Acid got banned for that art fag quote.

Post screencap.

id's happeding!

I never saved it

>Exiled is To's masterpiece, the perfect blend of Woo, Leone and Melville. Shame he hasn't been able to top it, he has been fairly mediocre lately.
On the contrary, his best work is the work he's doing right now. He's been consistently great since the turn of the millenium, IMO. Three was great.

What should I watch while it's raining?

the rain itself

You sir, have won the Internets.

'Sup, Reddit

Do you think Romanians post here? It's kinda creepy when you think about

Post filmmakers that are objectively superior to DW Griffith

Oops wrong pic:P

Slept loves DW Griffith now.

"What's missing from cinema nowadays is the wind in the trees."

DW Griffith>your favorite director

DW Griffith is not a director. He is the only poet of the cinema.

>Intolerance is the greatest picture ever made
What did Pauline Kael mean by this?

letterboxd.com/Arokz/

'Sup, criterionbabby

Delete your profile. Realism is shit and outdated.

Griffith wouldn't know what "art" means even if it put on a white robe and pointed hat and hanged him from a tree. He was a technicalist, a scientist of film. The way more technologically innocuous Mèlies was light-years ahead of him in regards to artistry, for instance. The advancements of pragmatists like Griffith needed powerful artistic minds to give birth to powerful work: Lang, Welles, Buñuel.

Pauline Kael was an idiot and should be read with great skepticism. She was an inelegant writer who placed more value on gut-feelings than on thought, and stubbornly refused to re-evaluate anything. She was a middling writer and an idiot who appeals to people who admire strong personalities more than critical thinkers. You have to take her for what she is- a reviewer for the masses, not a critic for the cinephiles. She was bullheaded, close-minded, played favorites, and lost almost all relevance in the late seventies. And if she had a clue about a film's formal considerations, she never let you know about it. I respect that Kael's admired for her passion, but passion without intellect is worthless. She was a whirling dervish of irrationalism that contributed little to understanding cinema, as opposed to maniacally, sometimes entertainingly, misinterpreting it with unfocused zest. In other words, your typical Sup Forums poster.

>mfw criterionbabby is still posting his copypasta after being exposed

He's right you know

Pauline Kael had the taste of a goddess. She loved tender quality human pictures

>Fritz Lang
>Orson Welles
>Luis Bunuel
Every single person inspired by Griffith. He was a god among little boys, much like me.

You're a samefag, y'know.

Why are you referring to yourself in the third person? Very odd way of writing.

I want a Pauline Kael and DW Griffith plush toys.

*Pauline Kael and DW Griffith plush toys

Do they help you when you're throwing an autistic fit?

>isn't it menilmontant?
Stay exposed, criterionbabby

get to my level, plebs

Oh shit

*Stay exposed, wikipediababby

Bruce Melvin pls go

I'm going to have sex for the first time tonight. What should I wear?

That's some shitty writing desu
menilmontant was never published under the criterion label btw

a condom desu

A mask

a tux
gotta look your best

He's a hack. Lumière was making scripted films over a decade before him.

Stay exposed, wikipediababby

>thinking a script is what makes DW Griffith significant
sup, pleb. Griffith didn't even have a script when he directed Intolerance. He made Ulysses before it was written without even a script.

All Lumiere did was use cinema for cheap parlor tricks in his stagebound fantasy pictures. That's why Scorsese made a kid's film about him. He equates him with child's play.

Cinema begins and ends with Griffith. He did everything. Every possible thing that matters in film.

>confusing Lumiere and Melies
wew

>implying having a script is what makes Griffith important
I got mixed up. But it's not like you even know more silent French directors than me.

Where's your smart assed reply, pleb. You must've gotten BTFO.

BTFO

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/82186895/#82208977

Is that exposure I smell?
kek

movies are for losers and artfags

AH SNAP Looks like he ran away

>one of the first films with transformable aesthetic qualities
you only outed yourself as a pleb. but no continue and act as if you know anything other than where to find gold. but keep digging you might be able to pick that walnut of a brain you have.

>Ladri di biciclette (aka Bicycle Thieves) is the movie of the week!
lol

>artfags
Film fundamentally cannot be art as it is reliant on other actual artforms.

Griffith already predates neorealism

stop forcing this hack into every conversation
my point is why make the most memey neorealist movie there is your movie of the week? what's next, citizen kane as movie of the week?