Why do movie directors think that boring black costumes are better than their original costumes?

why do movie directors think that boring black costumes are better than their original costumes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3BXP5XAkPt4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was the early 2000s and the matrix was a thing

Because all their different colored costumes won't clash. Everyone is in the same team colors, and look themed, as a cohesive unit. It's just about the on screen visuals.

The bad costuming has been the least of the problems of the X-Men movie franchise.

Yellow sucks senpai. Nothing functional about spandex unless it's your fetish

Well, what would you prefer, yellow spandex?

Yellow and Black classic suits are fine. Looked good in First Class and Warhead looked good in Deadpool.

Are you fucking retarded? Do you have 15 years or what?

B&R killed superhero movies. Capeshit was box office cancer. X-men had to make the costumes black in order to get approved and Blade had to hide the fact it was a comic book character to executives or else they would shut it down.

Both X-men and blade revived the interest in comic books movies. So next time you complain about black suits (which arent a thing on the x-men franchise since x3) remember that those same black suits are what let the capeshit exist in the present, and all your precious shit and colorful mcu movies owe their existance to the same black suits you are complaining now.

So fuck you.

The only issue is JL and that stops in this movie. You even get Scott to star in the next movies. Daily reminder that the singer-men are films and your disney shit are flicks.

>The only issue is JL and that stops in this movie.

When they can make an X-Man movie without Magneto in it, I'll start to care.

i meant all recent superhero movies not just this one

X-Men fans are going to be hard to discuss things with for a while.
The movie reviews have them completely booty-blasted and they are lashing out at everyone and everything.

For example?

Not really, no one is defending X3 which is the last time they used black costumes.

watchmen
batman v superman

>and they are lashing out at everyone and everything.
They've been doing this for months now.

I love how this image makes Lady Deathstrike look like a part of X-Men.
Or an important character.

I like those ones all the way back in the fog.
I hope they all got really excited for being included in the poster like Mike from Monsters Inc.

youtube.com/watch?v=3BXP5XAkPt4

>muh edge

You think that coloring costumes will look good on grown men? Come on, I couldn't even take CA seriously when he first appeared in cinema.

>These characters should stay authentic, they mean a lot to a lot of people, and I think there should be a certain level of responsibility when adapting these properties because these characters are the results of decades of work from creators who've shaped and molded them into the icons that we know today.
There was a line in The Death of Superman Lives, when one of the writers talks about how Burton doesn't hold the characters in the same kind of reverence that comic fans hold them in, and when he said that, I died a little inside.
I love that youtuber though, and I'm glad he's blowing up with popularity.

He's referring to Apocalypse getting slammed by reviews so far

I personally can't wait for them to use the same dumb excuse as BvS fanboys

>it's serious, therefore, it's good

Because there no reason for when they "suit up" for Cyclops to have a yellow bandoleer and Rogue to have a green bodysuit and and for Wolverine to be in a full body yellow/blue catsuit when they're all on the same team and the outfits are intended to be protection.

>no reason
Individual expression, dog.

she would look good in anything and nothing

Black looks slimmer

I don't know why, but the First Class suits were really off putting for me. Something just didn't gel well with me.

Uniforms. Makes them look slightly more like the paramilitary group they're supposed to be, rather than a bunch of idiots on their way to a Halloween party.

>individual expression
user, pls. They're ostensibly there to do a job, not show off how they're all super special snowflakes.

>Makes them look slightly more like the paramilitary group they're supposed to be, rather than a bunch of idiots on their way to a Halloween party.
Why?
>not show off how they're all super special snowflakes.
They are literally super special snowflakes. They all have unique super powers.

>Why?
What do you mean "why"? Many organizations that take what they do seriously, such as armies, PMCs, police agencies, etc, wear uniforms to foster a sense of internal community and teamwork. You seriously need the bleeding obvious explained to you?

>They are literally super special snowflakes. They all have unique super powers.
So? Just because you have unique talents doesn't make you special. When one is a member of a group, they are expected to use their abilities to further the goals of said group. This is why the lone wolf is frowned upon by the rest of the group, since going off on one's own all the time implies you think you're better than everyone else. There's no room for that kind of arrogance within a group. If you ain't gonna be a team player, it's in the team's best interest to tell you to fuck off.

>to foster a sense of internal community and teamwork
If you need to wear matching underwear to feel more connected to a teammate, you're a pretty shit team member yourself.
>This is why the lone wolf is frowned upon by the rest of the group
Wearing a unique costume, even when everyone else is wearing a unique costume, automatically makes you an arrogant lone wolf?

Also, when I asked why, I meant more on a, "Why do you feel the need to make something so inherently unrealistic as capes try to conform to your nitty gritty ideas of realism?" Like, what's the point? Why does it matter what they're wearing, this guy shoots punch-lasers out of his eyeballs, this guy has knives in his arms. Why do want them all to wear the same clothes?

X-men deserve a pass. None of their comic costumes would look good on screen.

>None of their comic costumes would look good on screen.
Fuck off you unimaginative faggot.

>If you need to wear matching underwear to feel more connected to a teammate, you're a pretty shit team member yourself.
I like how you just completely disregard arguments with utter nonsense.

>Why do want them all to wear the same clothes?
Because It'd be nice to have some visual indicator that they actually give a shit about their mission and want to succeed. If the characters don't look like they care, why should I?

And just because something is unrealistic, doesn't mean it can't have realistic elements. Superheroes are ultimately a form of urban fantasy, which means that the setting is just the real world with lasers and magic.

I'll bite once Olsen starts wearing her classic OG costume

Want me to address your arguments, fine.
In the real world they don't wear matching uniforms for internal community and teamwork, they wear them for modularity. In an army, you just need to make 100,000 pairs of the exact same pants because it's easy, cheap, and replaceable. If one guy dies, you can take his boots, and give it to the next guy. In the real world, everyone is a human with basically the exact same strength/speed.
But with comics, people with different powers means that they shouldn't be treated the same. Should you force the team's telepath to wear the same outfit as their tank? Or the speedster and the flying brick? They all have different abilities and needs in combat, so their clothing should reflect that. This is paired with their individual personalities, especially with the mutants because of their relationship with the rest of the world.
>visual indicator that they actually give a shit about their mission
I feel like this is a huge assumption that if they aren't matching they don't care. If someone rolled in with jeans and bedhead, yeah, I'd say they didn't care. But if they're well presented, how could you say that they don't care?
>doesn't mean it can't have realistic elements
Of course not, but that doesn't mean that they need to be slaves to the mundane.

Bad taste

Jesus

God bless CHEESECAKES

>They all have different abilities and needs in combat, so their clothing should reflect that.
And there's no reason they can't have a matching color scheme and general style.

>This is paired with their individual personalities
They're personalities should be made clear through their actions and dialogue, not their clothes.

>Of course not, but that doesn't mean that they need to be slaves to the mundane.
Wearing a uniform is not being a slave to the mundane. It's doing something that makes sense.

>And there's no reason they can't have a matching color scheme and general style.
Of course not, I like having them as well, but you also don't need to outlaw having unique styles. Which is why a lot of the X-Men have similar tones in their outfits, but they aren't wearing ubiquitous uniforms.
>They're personalities should be made clear through their actions and dialogue, not their clothes.
Are you kidding? People in the real world show off their personality by the way they dress, why wouldn't super heroes?
>Wearing a uniform is not being a slave to the mundane. It's doing something that makes sense.
When you say paramilitary, I'm thinking mundane tacticool.

>Of course not, I like having them as well, but you also don't need to outlaw having unique styles.
The compromise happens all the time, wear the outfits are uniform, but still draw upon the character's unique look. Pic related.

>Are you kidding? People in the real world show off their personality by the way they dress, why wouldn't super heroes?
I don't know anyone who's that much of a tool. And I sure as hell don't want to follow such a person's adventures.

>When you say paramilitary, I'm thinking mundane tacticool.
Well that's your fuckin' problem. And how is tacticool mundane? Tacticool has become the next steampunk, in that it's vaguely popular, so you're not allowed to like it.

>I don't know anyone who's that much of a tool. And I sure as hell don't want to follow such a person's adventures.
Literally everybody does this. Just because you're not seeing someone dressed in a flourescent gimp suit doesn't mean that the vast majority of people aren't expressing themselves with their clothes.

see
Teenage warhead's costume is a perfect xmen costume

>I don't know anyone who's that much of a tool.
you're saying a cowboy from texas dresses the same as a muslim from iraq?
Hell, every single person that chooses their own clothes is expressing themselves even if they aren't trying to

This movie is about 16 years old and was riding superheroes in on the post Matrix black leather movie phase.. Is OP actually retarded?

>Literally everybody does this.
Speak for yourself. I don't do that, because I'm not some self-obsessed millennial taking selfies and posting them on Facebook. Only hipsters and retarded teens use their clothes to express their shallow excuse for a personality.

No see, you're just too much of a moron to realize that you are. Even if you aren't flaunting yourself like hipsters or millenials, you're still expressing yourself.

I wear clothes to protect myself from the elements, and because I would get arrested if I didn't. You are reading WAAAAY too much into this shit.

No, see, that's you expressing yourself. You being utilitarian with your clothing is expressing yourself.

>You being utilitarian with your clothing is expressing yourself.
Bullshit. By that logic, literally anything one does in a expression of personality.

>breathing
>"Well shit, I guess that person really likes oxygen!"

You take it too far with the breathing example, but yes.

to me they were only fine because they only just now established that group so of course it would look silly, especially during that time period.

Yeah, Deadpool being totally comics accurate as well as Colossus and Negasonic was totally out of place

>Both X-men and blade revived the interest in comic books movies.
That would be Spider-Man actually.

>Blade
>1998
>X-Men
>2000
>Spider-Man
>2002
Right

>Yellow and Black classic suits are fine. Warhead looked good in Deadpool.

That's honestly all I want, even if they have slight variations on each person.

I really think these Apocalypse costumes appear awful. Really cheap looking.

You know, that's not a bad roster, though.
Scott, Jean, Beast, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Quicksilver. No redundant powers or personalities. Not bad.
Costumes are shit though. I don't know why these Fox-Men costumes are obsessed with using that fake rubber on their costumes.

>Watchmen
Not a single black outfit, other than a desaturated color on Owl's suit. Ozy's suit was dark blue.

>BvS
>Superman is blue and red
>WW is red, golden and blue
>Batman is grey and black like he is in the comic books for the past 20 years
???

So no, I guess I will go with things that didnt happen for 500 Alex. Really, the last all black shit was X-men 3.

>Its lighthearted, therefore, it's good!

>Batman is grey and black like he is in the comic books for the past 20 years
I hate this. I want things to be Blue and Grey again.

I'd go even further and say "it's well made, therefore, it's good.

Nightcrawler's outfit looks pretty good to me. Cyclops would probably be alright if they ditched the silver.

Like others have said, they were just riding on the coattails of the Matrix

>I'll bite once Olsen starts wearing her classic OG costume

Never happening. She's gone on record that she doesn't like the leotard and the tiara.

Jim Lee draws Bats' new suit blue and grey, but it looks really weird like that. There are just too many different colors

It'd be more accurate to say that Spider-Man revived the interest in superhero movies.

I miss the purple gloves.

well not to defend the black leather but X-men costumes tend to be a touch more garish than the usually cape suit

>tacticool
>vaguely popular
More like dumb and boring.

you forgot

>1996
>The Phantom

>literally anything one does in a expression of personality
Well, yes.

most iconic comic book costumes would look incredibly shitty on real human beings.

Gambit, for example, has a weird balaclava with a hair-hole to let his mullet hang out, wears a trenchcoat, and the underlying bodyglove is black, blue, and hot pink.

No component of that description looks good on a real human being. but it works on the page, because it's art.

What does he keep in the pouches, Sup Forums?

because actual costumes translate poorly and audiences think they're too cool for bright colors

This isn't perfect but at least it's a small step forward again, much better than all black armor

you obviously didnt get the joke

>Well, what would you prefer, yellow spandex?

this was a joke in one of the movies when wolverine didnt like the costumes and one of the other x-men says "Well, what would you prefer, yellow spandex?"

jesus come on who DIDNT get that joke

>Blade

To execs? Because very few, if any normies realize that was based on a comic. And blade is a funny example as the movie improved on the comics in every way.

because it was the 90's also probably has some field snacks or spare change in case he needs a cab or a soda

Jean's costume makes her look fat as shit. Same with storm.

this makes me miss the black leather

God X-Men fans have been having such a hard time lately. I mean there comics have become meh to dull and the movies seem to have followed. I'm rooting for you guys hopefully things get better

They are no less garish than Captain America or Spider-man

rightness

>costumes
>better than s t r e e t c l o t h e s
>ever
if you ask me they dont go far enough
if emma frost can save the world in her underoos theres no reason she can do the same thing but better with a thic jacket and some proper pants on

Which do you prefer, Sup Forums? Top or bottom?

>B&R killed superhero movies.

Fans really love to overstate the impact of B&R on the genre, as if it lead to a decade-long drought at the box office. It definitely had an impact on the Batman franchise - it would be seven years until another Batman movie was released - but for the rate cape movies were being made at the time (about one a year, since it was disaster movies that were "in" at the time), it really had no appreciable impact.

>it was disaster movies that were "in" at the time
Like 2011 or 2012?

Because the general public thinks that colors are gay.

Its not the early 2000's anymore bub

>make everybody in the group wear the same outfit
>need a specific person's power to handle a situation
>can't find that person in the middle of a battle because everybody on the team looks the same

They do tone down colors when they can. Spidey had brighter red and blue than Cap or Stark.

what would you prefer, yellow spandex?

Nothing.
They were a Father's Day present from Cable and he just wanted to be a good dad.

not the guy in the $5000 black leather suit, COME ON!

i'm sure several Sup Forumsmrades think it would look fabulous

I despise the Suicide Girls version of Harley Quinn and anything involving it.
Katana pretty much looks right, Boomerang's costume *almost* looks legit but those mutton chops...
Not to mention that "damaged Joker" bullshit.

i'll be skipping this one even though it does have Will Smith. I like him, but him and Katana aren't enough to overcome the rest of this for me.

>Will Smith. I like him
i like will smith, but i don't know about him as Deadshot. i have a feeling they'll be playing up the sentimental crap and downplaying the "don't give a fuck"

Those cotumes are pretty bleh but it's a start. This is what happens when you take the person who has been making black leather suits for the X-Men and tell them to make actual costumes. That's not their strongpoint, their expertise is with the black leather.

Nightcrawler's costume is the only good one. Why are storm and quicksilver dressed like the ninjas in mortal kombat?

I always thought this was a nice compromise.

Hell, you could even do dark blue instead of black.