Sup Sup Forums, I'm new to comics and started with reading The Walking Dead comics, since I liked the series so much

Sup Sup Forums, I'm new to comics and started with reading The Walking Dead comics, since I liked the series so much

Holy shit, I found a new addiction. Only problem is I have no idea where to begin in this comic mess and I know there's probably a Sup Forums wiki, but I just want your opinion on what to read next. Seeing how comics are hard to get by in my country, since they aren't popular at all here, I had to resort to downloading them.

Currently downloading V for Vendetta and Transmetropolitan.

I kind of like the DC feel more than the witty Marvel humor, but I'm up for anything

Other urls found in this thread:

hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/08/the-top-115/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Begin by moving to a real country.

Netherlands are fine by me, just fucking sucks stuff like manga and comics are just so shunned upon here

>I kind of like the DC feel more than the witty Marvel humor, but I'm up for anything

Any particular characters or types of stories you're interested in?

Comics are as diverse a medium as anything. There is no such thing as a "marvel feel" vs a "DC feel", and there's a lot more than just those two.

Tell us what kind of fiction you like. What genres, and settings are you into? And specific interest in tone or mood?

I fucking love Batman. A 'regular' guy, no superpowers, that kind of stuff. Love all the movies, the animated ones too, that's kind of why I downloaded V for Vendetta. Also looked up some batman comics, The Dark Knight returns and the Killing Joke are the ones I'm downloading now.

Raw, gritty, love the walking dead art, story is pretty cool too, although it gets kind of repetitive, but I still like it. The Punisher MAX seems pretty cool too.

Raw and gritty?

Well, Punisher MAX is a must.
Prophet by Brandon Graham et al
Conan by Kurt Busiek
Preacher by Garth Ennis
100 Bullets by Brian Azzarello
The Filth by Grant Morrison
The Luther Strode series by Justin Jordan & Tradd Moore

Those should be up your alley.

>There is no such thing as a "marvel feel" vs a "DC feel"
Not anymore maybe, but back in the 60's the Marvel Method definitely made the companies' books feel very different.

Sweet. Thanks a lot man, appreciated!

Well the thing I mean is with the movies, Marvel has a more lighthearted feel to it, while the DC movies have a more serious tone.

>I fucking love Batman. A 'regular' guy, no superpowers, that kind of stuff. Love all the movies, the animated ones too, that's kind of why I downloaded V for Vendetta. Also looked up some batman comics, The Dark Knight returns and the Killing Joke are the ones I'm downloading now.

Oh are you in luck then. So back in 1985, DC rebooted all their comics, and they did Batman: Year One by Frank Miller and David Mazuchelli. It tells Bruce Wayne's first year as Batman, and aligning with James Gordon.

Then they did a series called Legends of the Dark Knight to add more stories to it. The first arcs are all very pivotal and would lay the groundwork for many years.

There's also Batman and the Monster Men, and Batman and the Mad Monk, which are modernized retellings of Batman's first issues from the 1940's.

Ah, I didn't even know about that, lots of reading then, thanks!

Yes, but the movies aren't really reflective of the comics. DC is full of lighthearted comics and Marvel is full of serious comics. I mean, even if you're only looking at adaptations, DC has Teen Titans GO! and Marvel has Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Both have an extremely wide range of characters, tones, styles, and even genres beyond capes (although obviously the vast majority of their output is capes).

The preconceptions that you need to do away with before getting into comics are:
>Comics = Marvel and DC
>Comics = Superheroes
>Comics = their Movies/Cartoon/TV Adaptations
Granted you should already be over at least the first two since you started with Walking Dead, since that's a zombie comic published by Image but they're still things that new readers have trouble realising for whatever reason.

Ah, alright, I thought the kind of took the comics' style and translated that to movies. Series kind are the other way around.

I grew up with tons of Donald Duck comics and still read those weekly, so I kind of get that comics aren't 100% superheroes and stuff. Probably still fun to read, though.

>I grew up with tons of Donald Duck comics and still read those weekly
Download The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

Pound for pound, this list is a good place to bookmark and go back to from time to time:
hoodedutilitarian.com/2011/08/the-top-115/

Vertigo, overall, is a good company to start with. Of the mostly/fully Vertigo things, some great stuff includes Swamp Thing (esp. Alan Moore's run) and Sandman.

I suppose one question worth asking is: are you content with series that are older and more complete, or would ongoing and/or newer series be OK, too?

Heh, actually have the translated versions of those lying around at my parents' place. My favorite Donald Duck comics are the ones with McScrooge, invincible fucker.

Both are fine I guess, have only been reading the Walking Dead so far, haven't catched up completely, like 4 issues away. I'll check the list out and probably have enough reading for years.

>I thought the kind of took the comics' style and translated that to movies
To an extent, but that's the thing, even one specific character will have comics ranging from ultra gritty super edge to light-hearted funny books.

I mean, Punisher MAX has some of the edgiest shit imaginable, and yet he also appeared in an Archie crossover, pic related.

If you like the Walking Dead art style you should check out Savage from 2000ad.

Oh god, I'm gonna have to read that.

Cover's got me sold!

Judge Dredd and Sinister Dexter spring to mind.

Noticed someone suggested The Filth - might want to pick up Morrison's Animal Man and Flex Mentallo first. I jumped in with The Filth and Invisibles and felt lost until I stepped back and read those.

Perhaps Maus and The Sculptor (only comic of McCloud's I really enjoyed if I'm honest) if you're looking for something slightly less 'superheroic'

Sadly most of my suggestions veer off into the phantasmagorical/dream like/fantasy sort of comic after those.

Comics aren't that hard to find in the Netherlands. Lots of cities have comic shops.

I´ve read about Maus, seems pretty cool.

I´m from a small town with no big city nearby, kind of sucks...

>reading Talking Dad any further then the first few issues with the good artist

Transmetropolitan is overrated, so is V.

Read comedy comics, that's where it's at. Besides Belgium is right next door, get a horse or something with tracks on it and go across the boarder and buy some.