ITT: Romances that didn't work. What went wrong?

ITT: Romances that didn't work. What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QkcLzhvBy4k
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You were a Zutaran, and therefore retarded.

Seemed to work to me.

It worked three times, in fact.

Wow just wow dat leap in the past they look so young, also zutara ship was the best ship

horrific

Didn't every romance in the Avatar franchise pretty much fall flat?

Let me guess OP.

You are a fat hamlanet that self inserted as Katara?

Be more butthurt, sons

The reason is they went for a big love story with all the rom-com clichés, but with a 12 year old kid, making it all seem very forced and inorganic.

Storm/Black Panther.

Sokka and Suki worked out pretty well I thought

Well that's not the one I was talking about, but that's more of a background thing and given the characters were older, felt more legitimate (two late teens having a fling is not very far fetched).

>zutara
>Saying to others to be less butthurt.

user you severely lack self-awareness.

Meant to quote
But you're right, Sokka/Suki were of age enough to at least be thinking romantically, while Aang always seemed too young to be quite there yet.

You'd think a mary sue and a gary stu getting together would work out but apparently not.

I thought it worked up until they became an actual couple. The comics are just cringe worthy.

This is the only picture I could be assed to find.

The whole thing.

you are the only one who mentioned zutara

Honestly some episodes like the one in the cave worked while episodes that focused entirely on the romance didn't.

It felt right that they ended up together in my opinion, but the random tension in the middle of Ember Island Prayers about their kiss was just dumb.

>The comics are just cringe worthy.
literally the only reason bryke sucked yang's dick was because his last name is yang

Romance between children just doesn't fucking work?

child and teen*

American Born Chinese and Boxers/Saints were both critically acclaimed, award winning YA comics. He isn't a bad choice, outside the fact he can't write action-adventure worth a fucking damn.

HAHA. Fuck you.

youtube.com/watch?v=QkcLzhvBy4k

Kataang is the only front and center Avatar couple that really worked out, people just confuse it being incredibly vanilla and safe with it automatically being bad.

>Maiko breaks up and gets back together every five seconds
>Makorra works better as BFFs
>Korrasami is literally fetish fuel for people who want to masturbate to the thought of them fucking Korra because Asami has all the personality of my littlest toe

Rift and Smoke and Shadow are good

easily worth adapting into specials

I think he means "work out" as in "was a developed, believable romance" not that they did end up as a couple.

What would you have done instead?

it's not vanilla, it's the only developed one

Critticaly aclaimed and award winning doesn't mean as much in the modern age, although, boxers/saints is actually pretty good. But his action scenes were mediocre to crap and visually boring, and that's a fatal flaw for a martial arts piece.

None of the stuff I remember from Yang feels like kung fu cinema at all.

I think the only thing he has going for him is familiarity with asian culture.

lol

Not had any romance at all. Aang had enough on his plate without that sidetrack.

Too similar.

I mean, IRL it'd work, but no one wants to watch a couple who are exactly the same.

I like how in the comics the whole gang is grossed out by them.

A lot of up their own ass creatives think emotional heart makes up for shitty action, because the investment and interest will come from caring about the characters rather than the spectacle.

They're only half-right, in the sense that good action without emotional weight is only momentarily entertaining, but they're missing the point pretty hard. Emotional investment makes the action better. It's the filling for a delicious pastry, not the point in and of itself. You need both to tell a good action-adventure story - kung fu or otherwise.

To be fair everyone else finds them gross.

>I like how in the comics the whole gang is grossed out by them.
More annoyed by how sickeningly sweet they are than 'grossed out'. You make it sound like they think there's something morally wrong about the relationship.

You're being pedantic, dude.

there is

They're only cringeworthy in that first comic, and even that's a self-aware joke about how annoying it is to be around new couples.
In all the subsequent comics, they're not bad together.

One things certain, Yang can't write Toph. He only knows how to write two-dimensional fandom Toph.

It did work. It was just boring, generic and obviously the endgame from the very first episode.

Bryke wrote a romance is what went wrong.

He can't write Sokka either.
Show Sokka's jokes ranged from legit good to so bad their good.
Comic Sokka's jokes are just bad. And a lot of the time he's talking like a 3-year old by adding -y to the end of words.

That image is more autistic than all of the zutara shippers combined, especially with all the emojis and slang.

Sokka's had some pretty good moments. That brothers talk with Zuko in the Search was great, as was him exploring that cave with Katara in the Rift. But yeah, some of the jokes are too buffoonish.

They were cuter.

Even Taang would've been better than Kataang.

I guess he has had a few nice moments. Yang just hasn't yet captured Sokka's humor which is a big part of the character's charm.
Here's hoping he can surprise us in the next arc.

>I mean, IRL it'd work, but no one wants to watch a couple who are exactly the same.

The problem is making the romance part of the plot. If I want to watch people feel sad about who's fucking who there's about seventy years of soap operas to watch. I'll also never understand this pressing need to have the only romance stuff in media be completely fuckd, doomed ones. There's a huge difference between relationship ideal of a thirteen year old girl and relationships adults want.

I'm perfectly happy with completely or mostly drama free relationships in media. Shit like Lois/Clark and Peter/Mary Jane mostly just worked for years.

It worked until the writers sabotaged the relationship after the invasion.
The last time Aang and Katara spoke in the series was when they were shouting at one another.
In fact there's a lot of stuff in the last half of book 3 that the writers were trying to throw zutara a bone at the expense of Katara and Aang's established relationship.

>The last time Aang and Katara spoke in the series was when they were shouting at one another.
I agree, there should have been some private convo before they separated. Maybe move the talk from EIP to the finale.

>a lot of stuff in the last half of book 3 that the writers were trying to throw zutara a bone
Not sure if I agree with this though. Southern Raiders needed to happen the way it did to establish their friendship. And it made sense for those two to be the ones to face Azula. I wouldn't take out those moments. I would just try to find a way to give her and Aang a few more during the finale.

It's possibly because he's not had enough focus to really make him work. It's largely the same with how Katara's been handled, the odd nice moment here and there but largely underwhelming.
Giving them their own story will hopefully remedy that.

>Southern Raiders needed to happen the way it did to establish their friendship
I agree with that, but the episode just walked over Aang and Sokka and made them look like chumps. Zuko talking shit about the air nomads to Aang's face really shouldn't have flown with the group. Or the fact that Zuko exploited Katara's survivor guilt and led on her on a dangerous risky revenge mission.

not so much for those three though

Yeah I thought that crack at Airbender pre-school was a little unwarranted from Zuko, especially since he should still be trying to remain in Aang's good graces. But despite that line and their limited screen time in that episode, I felt that both Aang and Sokka had a strong presence due to their compelling arguments and high tension moments.

>"You didn't love her like I did."
>you-see-the-moment-where-his-heart-breaks.jpg

>"ayy lol wouldn't it be funny if Zuko and Katara ended up together?"
>fandom picks up on this and never lets it go
>"Nah, we should totally make Katara and Aang hook up, he deserves it after all the hard work and friendzoning he's had to put up with"
>the fandom still strongly prefers Zutara over Kataang
>writers can't decide between pandering or sticking to their guns
>they end up going full fedora anyways and write Ember Island Players as a fandom parody
>shippers don't get they're being made fun of and love it anyways, ruining the point they were trying to make
>show ends with Kataang but creators promise LoK and Korra's romance will be made to be the spiritual successor of Zutara for Zutara fans that felt "cheated"

>LoK ends up being really shit, we get Korrasami instead

As much as Sup Forums loves to shit on Zutara shippers it is actually pretty sad how cu.cked they ended up getting.

>Zuko talking shit about the air nomads to Aang's face really shouldn't have flown with the group.

If Aang would have snuffed his life out I wouldn't have blamed him.

best girl