/lang/ - Language Learning

Comfy language thread!

>Learning resources
First and foremost check out the Sup Forums Wiki. Please contribute to the wikis as you learn a new language. Many pages need updates. Some pages are completely absent (Hungarian for example).

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check """pastebin.com/ACEmVqua (embed)"""; for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages:
Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hjT1aiPIiIo
youtube.com/watch?v=zOvsyamoEDg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>only have ~hour a day to study
>do pimsleur lesson, often have to repeat a few times
>do spaced repetition flashcards, which are amounting to over 100 needed to be done per day which is a drag
I'm bored and it's not fun anymore.

I'm on Pimsleur 4 now, but super bored with it. Do I grunt it out all the way to 5, or take a break and go back to something else? I'm worried I'll lose the spaced repetition benefit.

How long will it take me to learn french if I study for 10 hours a day?

What reason do i have to believe you will actually study 10 hours a day?

he studies for an hour then procrastinates for 4

None. I've really fallen behind my studies and almost failed my B1 class. Now I have 2 months with nothing to do and I was wondering if I could catch up.

So a better question would probably be what would be possible to achieve in 2 months.

Hard to say because of the factors involved, but if you are B1 right now and study 1-2 hours a day you will probably be upper-B1 or lower B2 in about 2 months, but again it's hard to tell

Dont get too attached to this thread guys, apparently theres gonna be a raid and its gonna push all the threads into the archive.

Sup Forums dindu nuffin ;_;

why? /lang/ is my favorite...

wish someone would help me with though...

>mfw

I would try and take at least 15 minutes to take notes or try to write passages/translate songs or some such. Maybe try and read a simple book?

Well I would just do what you think will peak your interest again. If I was studying and it got too boring, it wouldnt sink in at all. If it backfires you can just go back to what you were doing, just with more motivation since you know its the only way its gonna get done.

Using pimsleur is the problem, not you

Thank you. I got some simple children's books, but they are still too hard with the grammar for me as of a month ago. I'll try again.

Yeah, my main fear is that if I slow down on my SRS cards that they'll stockpile up and I'll forget everything and then just be left overwhelmed.

It's really going to be a mess over Christmas since I'm travelling and might not be able to get to all of them each day.

It's good for the car, but I'm too stupid to learn it while driving alone. So I end up doing this with pimsleur:
>start lesson in car
>repeat on the way home
>at home as time permits make flashcards of the new terms and add them to SRS deck - this is at least 45min of time
>each lesson end up with like 20 new cards, and now by Pimsleur IV I've got a huge stack.

I tried Michael Thomas too... but I haven't had enough time doing Pimsleur to do anything but that.

I should add using this method with pimsleur it takes like 3 days for me to learn the lesson. Maybe I should just do it passively in the car? not care about making cards? I donno.

If it's grammar that's giving you issues, than I definitely recommend taking notes from a textbook, or at the bare minimum using duolingo (PC/web browser version) and taking notes from the grammar explanations they have available there (though a textbook would be much better)

What are you learning?

Listen to music in your target language instead. And when you come home, study properly. Don't half-ass it (not that I am blaming you for that - driving craves a bit of attention)

>mfw going through "similar artist" section for Polish and Yugo bands on spotify all day

Spanish

Yeah the car isn't as good during the week than when I take a walk with headphones on the weekend. But, I spend about 45-50min a day in the car so trying to make that time valuable for my Spanish learning. AM is best, PM sometimes I'm too tired and don't learn much - depends on the day.

I've tried to find Spanish music, but, despite having access to a huge library on Red (private tracker for music), a lot of it isn't my taste. The french have better music :/

>peak your interest

Did English get too boring for you then?
:^)

Thinking about starting Chinese lads, it's the language of the future i don't want to be one of those old spacks who can't speak the lingua franca of their time.

if you're learning a language because of a meme, why not learn one for a cute third world girlfriend?

Why is it a meme? I'm not saying that China will overtake the overtake the west or that Chinese will usurp english but they are going to be producing a fuck load of content and become more influential over the next half century. Just look at wikipedia. You can't go through 10 pages these days without coming across Chinese characters.

I'm learning greek. Any advice?
>inb4 don't

>>inb4 don't

That's the last answer I got
Teach me, Alexander

Get infinite time, the rest will sort itself out.

A seriously honest question:
Why would anyone want to learn Hungarian?

It's not that hard. I just wondered if you had anything enligthening to share. Guess not

It's usually not such a good idea to ask natives how to learn their language because they didn't have to learn it as a foreign lang. You're better off asking someone who's studied it.

Comment est-ce que tu vas tandis que tu estas apprendre la langue française user? Quelque conseil?

The Binland raid has arrived.

Which language would be the best to learn, for someone wanting to study linguistics?

german, greek and latin?

Okay, enlightenment time. Online resources are shit, Greek media is mostly shit, translated media from other countries is often shit, and approaching Greek with a "it's not that hard" attitude is the worst thing you could possibly do.

t. still haven't met a successful adult learner of modern Greek and I've been around the language learning block

Hes right, the spurdos have arrived, early.

I have nothing else to give but (you)s and wumps.
Lang has survived the /bant exodus we can survive this.
Wump.

NEEKERIHOMOJOULUPUKKI :D

pippeli

Oi

>to ask natives how to learn their language
True, true. That's not what I meant tho', more some general advice on typical mistakes / good media sources etc

Without making this into a dick-measuring contest, I just wan't to add that I'm by no means new at language studying, and since I've already started the process some time ago (excluding the 1 year in high school), it's my opinion about it. But I guess we will see - only time will tell for sure.
Anyway, what I was looking for was stuff like I wrote to the lad above - but you more or less answered that now. So thanks, I guess. Do you know of any music worth listening to?

>Do you know of any music worth listening to?

Not really an expert, ask in /balk/?

Huutista :D

I'll give it a try, thanks

bump

bomp

Bump

bump

fun language to learn? i only know english and its very embarrassing. i will have about a month over the winter break to study, then can do about an hour once school starts back up again

What about Spanish?
>3rd most spoken language worldwide
>Pronunciation is a breeze
>Fairly easy
>Cute grills

Cons are they speak INCREDIBLY fast and you need to learn to roll your R's properly.

If you want to challenge yourself, try Latin or Japanese. The latter's my native language, and it's fun to teach, so I assume that it's also fun to learn.

Has anybody here learnt Korean, any tips or guides?

Esperanto was pretty fun for me to learn.

>easy and regular grammar
>vocab consists of many european words
>can help you understand other european languages to an extent

Can confirm, Japanese is very fun to learn.

Bump

Any good resources/ explanation for German word order?

Also what are some good German bands besides Rammstein? The only other German music I can find is gay 80's disco shit.

Music isn't that good to learn. Ever tried switching the language to German on Netflix?

Almost no shows have German subs or audio. Does changing language settings do that?

I just checked by starting Mad Men on netflix, both audio and subs in German.

Don't wanna be patronizing, but are you sure you know how to change the language? It's bottom right quadrant.

Very new shows probably won't have it, because it takes at least a year for them to translate it into German desu.

Do you have to change your settings to German before it works? I can't check right now because all my fucking family members are on it right now.

where can you learn occitan or romansch/romansh?

Kolosalle jugend (or something like that) 80s-90s rock
Tocotronic
90s-00s rock
m.youtube.com/watch?v=hjT1aiPIiIo
I hate anime, but that’s one of your best bet’s for German dubs. Little witch acadamia’s alright to me

Moskau by Dschinghis Khan.

To stop memeing though, I've had no luck with music. I'm gunna start trying to watch movies in German (eg Harry Potter)

If anyone can find a Nichijou German dub, I will offer them my firstborn

>bangladesh
pls don't learn korean go for japanese

spotted at work today, some useful Swiss German words.

Yes! I'm done with 51.7% of the A1 Norwegian course!

if you're not picky about subject material, you can try a general search on YouTube for "German English subtitles"

Yeah, thats an idea. I need to be less picky, it's making it hard to find material.

Turkish

Farsi if you want to be flagged by the FBI/NSA

Already know Japanese.

get into krautrock my dude

who died?

>tfw comfy in the /lang/ Bunker

my hope and dreams

second verb goes to the end usually. still haven't gotten the hang of German word order myself

I find when reading German you have to read the sentence as a whole instead of in a more stepwise fashion like in English

if you find anything good, you should post it

unless it's animu stuff. You can keep that private

I will be here to bump it whenever necessary

I think you wanted to know what/how the guy is doing to learn French right? I believe this is a better way to put it:
Comment ça va ton apprentissage du français, user? Quelque conseil à partager ?

you got it cap'n

sad bump

I'm , I started Michael Thomas yesterday. It's pretty refreshing to start something different. Maybe this was the right choice. We'll see.

don't die thread i luv u

luv u too

bump

Merci beaucoup brazilian anonyme. Comment est toi?

What kind of flashcard is the most effective?

>English input, target language output
>target language input, English output

>only words
>only complete sentences
>a mix of both

I am now level 17 in Duolingo!

Ey Clozemaster users, what's exactly pic related?

Different sentences, but they're from Wikipedia

Exactly what it says
It chooses a random wikipe article intro from a category you choose, then you fill in the blanks in the sentences with (repeated) words that the system believes you need to know/learn. Most intros are simple stuff, plus you get to read actual articles. Good shit.

Eng input, then target language. Mix of both, but I'd incline on complete sentences, mostly because it forces me to think of that native word, and that complete sentences will also help me learn the thing eventually. This is just personal observation though

Yes!

I unironically love the meme Duolingo

we probably need more lang memes to keep the thread alive. I try not to shitpost here though because it's the only quality thread on Sup Forums.

gamma ray, helloween, accept, edguy/avantasia, saltatio mortis, blind guardian

its fun because is very different, you need to practice pronunciation and write character often tho because its hard to remember them once you learn them

The songs of these bands are in English though.

yes sorry, but saltatio mortis are in german

here you have another one

youtube.com/watch?v=zOvsyamoEDg

If you like folk music I recommend you Die Irrlichter.