In 2016, Nicolas Winding Refn released this, Neon Demon, his most stylish film. I think this undisputed masterpiece...

In 2016, Nicolas Winding Refn released this, Neon Demon, his most stylish film. I think this undisputed masterpiece, a film so entertaining, most people probably don't read the subtext. But they should, because it's not just about the dynamics of female competition, and what women do to conform to beauty standards, it's also a personal statement about the fashion industry itself.

kys

>female competition
>beauty standards
>the fashion industry

in the trash it stays

>implying it's not actually about the horrors of pizzagate
keep telling yourself that buddy

Nice post, however, how about you check my digits?

NWR is a pretentious hack who's so far up his ass his feet should be coming out of his nostrils. His films are all style, no substance, and anybody claiming there's a deeper meaning to his films is a useful idiot hipster.

Nope. This film was nothing more than a directors personal fapfest. Nothing deep about it.

This film is the ultimate pleb filter, it's brilliant

sorry buddy
>missing the bateman reference this hard
No wonder you also missed the commentary on vanity and envy. Yes it's very stylish, and yes it was made as disturbing as possible on purpose, with many people walking out on it. But it has substance.
ikr, it's also beautifully shot
now, OGF was trash

>No wonder you also missed the commentary on vanity and envy. Yes it's very stylish, and yes it was made as disturbing as possible on purpose, with many people walking out on it. But it has substance.

I know you're baiting so this is my last reply but the film had absolutely no substance and the only people who liked Neon Demons are other pretentious idiots trying to appear smarter than they are.

>OGF was trash

It's fucking shit.
Nothing happens til the end.
Only good part is the random Keanu Reeves.

>DUDE BLUE AND PINK LIGHTS

Fuck off, it's complete garbage.
If anyone says they like this dreck I know who's a pleb.

There was no commentary to miss. Stylish, disturbing? Hardly. It was garish and barely watchable. The entire thing just wreaked of "This is a great excuse to get these cute girls to act out fantasies that would otherwise land me in jail!". There is nothing provocative about it, there was no substance, and there was barely any acting at all.

The entire movie is a complete joke, just like the people that like to point out how deep and meaningful it all is.

This film convinced me that someone could make a film of someone literally taking a shit for 2 hours on repeat and the hipsters of Sup Forums will still lap it up and defend it so they have something to feel superior to.

>his most stylish film.
>hasn't watched the Pusher trilogy
Seriously, watch the pusher trilogy before you make any Refn threads

this

fuck you OP, I thought you were cool

It's been a long time since I saw the Pusher movies but I don't remember it heavily emphasizing style like Neon Demon does.

Don't use that image when you're a complete and utter pleb yourself kid
I mean it too

this film was all substance but no style!

Can you fap to it?

>people don't recognize the Americam Psycho HLatN rant

The plot was a vehicle for the visuals. The innocence and brilliance of youthful perception. A love letter to our world and what is in it.

Fear X is just Refn trying to imitate Lynch.

ur right, 10/10 movie

his most stylish though? I'd say it's about the same as Drive and OGF

john turturro deserves an oscar for Fear X

Starry Eyes> Neon Demon

Judging by your other posts you're an absolute idiot with terrible taste.

*filters your posts*

With pretty neon lights to go with it!

...so you think neon demon is bad?

You're reading pretentiousness where there is none.
It was tho
>le nothing happens meme
let me guess, you don't like Better Call Saul either because it's too subtle for you
maybe go back to watching Rick and Reddit
>There was no commentary to miss.
It went over your head and you're a total pleb. NWR is too sophisticated for you.
>Stylish
It was, brilliant composition and palette in each frame. Aesthetically pleasing to no end, it was almost like watching a photoplay.
>disturbing
If the notion of child abuse doesn't disturb you then you're fucked in the head. It's not as disturbing as some 70s Italian cinema but it's as close as it gets in the modern era.
>The entire thing just wreaked of "This is a great excuse to get these cute girls to act out fantasies that would otherwise land me in jail!".
That's retarded. Specially if you take into account that he partly made it as a warning about narcissism for his 13 y/o girl.
>There is nothing provocative about it, there was no substance, and there was barely any acting at all.
There's a lot, it shines light into some dark realities of the fashion industry. Maybe you're not aware of this but it's common for underage models to be made to pose nude with no forewarning, among other things.
>The entire movie is a complete joke, just like the people that like to point out how deep and meaningful it all is.
The only joke here is your pretentiousness. You think you're so smart and the movie went over your head.

havent seen neon demon, but i saw drive and ogf. loved drive, one of my favorites, could barely sit through ogf's nonsense and smugness.

how would you rate it relating to these two? is it worth watching?

I can't watch Better Call Saul because I can't afford cable, but I want to watch it.

I was paraphrasing Patrick Bateman. Seriously, refrain from posting until you watch American Psycho. Also checkem.

>Cutting the rest of the picture so the redbox with TDKR isn't in the frame
Blasphemy.

tell me about the goose. why does he need the cokes?

nu-Sup Forums is depressing

Drive > OGF > TND

I like all three, TND is extremely similar to OGF from the soundtrack to there being one particularly disturbing scene to the neon lighting. If you didnt like OGF Im not sure TND will do anything for you.

>what is torrent
I hated OGF, loved Drive. Neon Demon is a lot better than Drive but it's a lot more subtle and features more commentary on human flaws in the subtext. It's no caper, the disturbing stuff is mostly sexual.

Nice Bateman reference senpai

>Neon Demon is a lot better than Drive
Meant to say a lot better than OGF

Dude, people like you give me hope that we haven't completely been overrun by the nu/tv/ redditors who can't recognize pasta, much less recognize paraphrasing or multilayered ironic memes.

Real Lolita shit. And a cougar!

after the day's shoot, right before they got intimate, NWF told him his dick wasnt wide enough, so was ryan was just pickin up supplies where he could

>the dynamics of female competition
All About Eve (1950) did it better.

Truth.

Neon Demon is a lot closer to OGF than Drive, there are a lot more shots done for the purpose of aesthetic than storytelling.

>it's a mommy movie
>she doesn't give the kid milkies
broke the immersion

But there's a story to tell, unlike OGF that went nowhere. I believe that often the journey is more interesting than the destination, but OGF felt like being parked.

>his most stylish film.
Thats still Bronson.

Well, I didn't say there wasn't a story, but I just felt like a lot of the shots, especially towards the end of the film, weren't done to progress the story.

are the violent scenes down for purpose (like drive) or for jerkin it (like ofg)

females are absolute trash: the movie

My OP was paraphrasing over accuracy. Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?
That said, I should probably watch Bronson, I forgot about it.
That's true. Sometimes it felt even a bit showy.
Mostly for purpose. There's a lot less violence though. It's quite dreamy and surreal.
kek

The only real intense violence I remember is at the end of the film, I would definitely say they were purposeful, but the length of it makes it sort of jerkin it.
Just watch the damn movie.

All wrong.
It's a movie about envy, pride, lust and wrath.

Wow, really deep

Did anyone else think Abbey Lee's and Elle Fanning's roles were inverted? I found it distracting that Elle was supposed to be this otherworldly beauty when Abbey is a lot sexier. I mean, if you pick Elle over Abbey you have shit taste.