Why didn't he just keep making trips to Earth for 60 years until Quill's mom died, then continued with Expansion?

Why didn't he just keep making trips to Earth for 60 years until Quill's mom died, then continued with Expansion?

James gunn used to write for Troma
What did u expect?aaron sorkin kinda script?

Why didn't he just bring Quill's mom to his Disney planet?

Did you watch the movie? It's all explained.

Shut up, it's 81% on rottentomatoes!

This is an even better question that I did not take into consideration. BARRING EVEN THAT

Quill: "But... My friends."
Ego: "I have lived for millions of years but we don't have time for your friends to live out their natural lives so you have no other attachments and we can realize my vision that you are apparently amenable to."

Meme answer. Hello James.

He could probably have kept her alive with his 'light' power

Nah I don't remember it being explained why it's so important she die in ten years instead of fifty, especially since from his point of view that's the difference between taking a piss and microwaving a burrito

Y'know, of all the Marvel villains that could have had a live action adaptation, never in a million years would I have imagined Ego the Living Planet getting to be on the silver screen. Props to Marvel for not just rehashing the same tired old supervillains over again (except Loki, fuck that guy).

i mean who would've ever thought they would've made a guardians of the galaxy movie to begin with

He is an immortal planet who doesn't value the lives of mortals. Would you wait for your son's pet ants to die before getting on with something?

...Because you're an immortal planet and it ensures his cooperation?

if they were going to die in what would amount to five minutes for me, yeah sure why not

Time doesnt move faster to him.

how is it possible to to be alive for billions of years and not have time seem to move faster for you

But it is completely irrelevant to him. He has lived MILLIONS of years. What is 60/1,000,000? Now multiply that quotient by your age. That is the relative time wasted to guarantee that the ONLY OTHER BEING IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE YOU VIEW AS YOUR EQUAL is on your side.

He had already waited a million years and was impatient. He wanted to get on with it immediately, now that he had everything he needed.

He's not greater than other living beings in the way we are compared to ants. Ego wasn't smarter than regular living beings, he was more powerful and longer-lived but otherwise was on the same level as everyone else. I can't converse with an ant, but Ego managed to have a relationship with Peter's mom for years and unable to tear himself away without killing her. Not exactly an ant to him.

Just seems careless to me. Sidebar: can we talk about how retarded it is that Quill has never once revisited Earth since getting kidnapped just because his mom got sick and died there? He's perfectly content never going back to his home ever again? Forgive me if I'm forgetting some ulterior motive, but it seems really cold of someone who obviously loves Earth culture enough to incessantly meme about Cheers and Pac Man.

So was that egos skull in the first movie?

I thought that was so cool that there was a thriving Vegas-style city in the head of a dead god.

no that was a different Celestial

better yet why didn't ego take the form of a woman so she could just split as soon as she got pregnant

Because Disney/Marvel needs to reach out to black kids who never seen their dad.

because if he can give her a tumor he can just as easily keep her alive. If he kept visiting he'd only risk falling in love and putting his plans on permanent hold as he enjoys immortality with his waifu

this makes a lot more sense

He clearly explained that he doesn't want to get attached to mortal things and wants to expand more than anything.

Best answer yet.

Ego is the only good MCU villain

I think he's scared of how Earth will have changed since he left

Civil War may have been shit, but Zemo was a god tier villain

except it turned into generic marvel supervillain right at the end

This he was pure kino put ultron and pretty anyone not Loki to rest

OP, why don't you keep your favorite childhood toy in your pocket at all times?

He's EGO

Now that this idea is again brought to mind, commence with the thread

His mom was his whole world and he's grown up embracing those aspects of pop culture, and is scared to go back because neither of those things will be there when he does. Also he has a pretty good life in space. Adventure, women, a job he's good at. Why go back to a place that's not nearly as advanced?

Because she would have to wait for the baby to be born and then see if it had the celestial genes. So the whole process would take even longer.

Can't wait for him to be brought back for Thunderbolts

I've been struggling to come up to an answer to this for a few minutes now, user, but the truth is that I don't even remember what my favorite childhood toy was anymore.

And now you know how Ego felt about Quills mom.

Sure he waxes on about how great she was, but only because he's trying to manipulate Quill.

my toy wouldn't fit in my pocket, furthermore it wasn't a sentient being.

if I had a semi-intelligent pet I would take that around with me everywhere unless it was a place pets weren't allowed.

I think most people feel the need to keep in touch with who they were as an important keystone to who they are. In addition, I'm sure his grandfather would've liked to speak with the only living relative he had left before he died.

if he was only trying to manipulate Quill why would he so offhandedly mention he killed her?

he could've just kept that info to himself

You're not OP, and you're missing the point he's making.

Because he was full of himself and thought he already won?

the point he's making is a poor analogy though. quill's mom, even if he thought less of her, is not comparable to an inanimate object even from Ego's perspective, else he wouldn't have had to kill her to begin with at all.

1. what is this guys power level in relation to thanos?

2. what relevance does this movie have to the overall plot of the mcu?

3. im 26 years old what the fuck am i still doing here?

But he seemed genuinely surprised that Quill acted against him and was horrified by the revelation, indicating that he just thought nothing of it.

He wasn't manipulating Quill, he just didn't think he did anything wrong.

yeah this guy is right. being scared of your culture cause your mom died isn't a thing. It's a contrived subtext. Luckily the GotG movies are so heavy on visual fanfare and ticket prices are so high that you don't have the patience to asdassad;lkjasd blah blah blah braaaaap i hate fuck myself

I believe he's saying that he thought of Quill's mom as a child often thinks of a doll or a stuffed animal. Children will attach personality traits and anthropomorphize them to the point that they have distinct characteristics and personage in the mind of the child, but with a certain amount of perspective and experience the child will eventually abandon something (or in their eyes, someone) they once held dear. Or he's full of shit and it's a poor analogy

>im 26 years old what the fuck am i still doing here?
nothing changes, civilian. just wait to die like everyone else. everyday is less special than the last. nothing you will do will matter more than anything else. stop living up the expectations of your own ego.

Fair enough. But he was trying to manipulate Quill, at least at first. Maybe he just figured that Quill was on board and would understand why he killed mom.

Put the bottle down, user. I've made this post before, I know it isn't good for you.

>stop living up the expectations of your own EGO

What did he mean by this?

Kurt Russell has been acting steadily for almost 50 years

He had to leave to go bang other aliens. Quil was one of many side bitches. Remember Yondu transported lots of kids and got caught before peter. Yondu didn't do it for hundreds of years, more likely about 10. Which....if aliens have similar gestation means Ego was really getting around.

who wants to be a woman

>Why didn't he just keep making trips

More like making quips

I hold you responsible for the death of this thread.

Why did he even kill her?

That never made any sense to me, beyond the explanation or him being crazy.

>ONLY OTHER BEING IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE YOU VIEW AS YOUR EQUAL

Wasn't that just a story he told everyone and he used all the kids as batteries and he was planning to do the same with Quill?

The other kids couldn't do the light thing from what I remember. I think he was the first proper hybrid.

So they were batteries in a sense that the gameboy you plugged them into acknowledged something was plugged in before immediately turning off.

no the others didn't have his powers, so he just killed them and dumped them in the hole

quill was his first successful child

>Loki isn't his favorite Marvel villain and hero

get a load of this pleb

I haven't seen the movie at all, but if he's 'Ego the living planet' then he's batshit insane.

I think he had a piece of his brain removed or something, and was never the same again.

Kills everyone who colonizes on his surface and worse

He got Hulk meme'd

Guess what's going to happen to Hela.

She's going to get Hulk'd

I'm guessing I misunderstood something then. I'm glad though, for both that, and for making Ego a celestial, made Quill feel more special than just being the son of the "living planet" joke villain.

That's not what happens in this movie. I don't know anything about the comics. Only thing from the genre I've ever read was The Watchmen.

His name is Ego. He has a large ego.

It also made his character a bit cooler in that he basically gave up god status.

>white father leaves the woman and child
>POC becomes the father

is this raceswitched agenda?

>it's an 'all aliens are differently colored humanoids' episode

>kills everyone who colonizes on his surface and worse

That kinda happens, yes he is insane though.

Probably made him feel more equal to Gamora as well.

Thank you based Dan Abnett

Why do people ask this? It's fucking explained by ego himself. He loved his Peter's mom but wanted to fufill his plans more, he knew if he stayed he would never have gone through with his plans.

He couldn't bring Peter's mom because he didn't know 100% Peter would be the kid he that got his celestial genes, and he was busy fucking more alien girls to plan more seeds for possible offspring with celestial genes.

Basically his hobby was more important to him than family. It's not a hard concept, ego is just a dead beat dad

>it's a 'Stallone is an alien' episode

Its also notable that he's NOT immortal off of his own Planet, so he would have died on earth probably

>I'm Mary Poppins y'all!

I giggled not gonna lie.

the disparate fucked up cultural references were actually funny, because you get the sense its just Quill's way of fucking with people

Like the trash-panda thing

Apart from the giant tentacle monster, the tree, the racoon(?) and the floating brain.

So can someone explain to me why Peter lost all of his powers when Ego died? Like, if he's part god like his father, wouldn't that mean he has those powers genetically? Why would he lose them just because his dad died?

His powers on Ego came from his dad, they were not his own.

he still has the DNA and such to contain an infinity stone

Rocket is not an alien
Ego is not an alien
Groot is an alien
Giant tentacle monster is an alien, but shows no sapience, so we'll give him Alien-.

>rocket isn't an alien

But he is, his homeplanet is Halfworld

This is something I think wasn't explained well. We don't even know for sure if he has lost t all really,just cos ego says so doesn't mean it's true. I would guess it's because the planet, ego, is the celestial. The humanoid ego was just an avatar. So even that didn't have all it's powers when it was away from the planet too long. I guess that's why, all of the celestial power came form the planet.

humans are from space too user
we are the aliens

>Ego is not an alien
Celestials aren't aliens?

>Ego is not an alien
>A celestial in the form of a planet with a human avatar is not an alien

His human form is even explicitly said to just be a way to get close to Peter/his mom.

so how the fuck does this movie contribute to the over-arching plot of the infinity stones and thanos?

DUDE

Why didn’t Rocket and Kraglin just wait in orbit to pick up Quill and Yondu?

It really doesn't but that's a good thing

Ego is a life form beyond the scope of human or alien. I don't know if this is an opinion or is a fact.

The better question is why didn't he just take her to his planet.

see

Why did he have trouble sleeping? Never explained that

She probably wouldn't want him killing everyone on Earth.

She deserved to die for liking Lake Shore Drive.