What is the difference between a quip and a joke?

what is the difference between a quip and a joke?

A joke has substance.

A quip is just a guy saying something like "I understood that reference!"

Its just a 1 liner that you laugh at basically.

so a quip is a one liner.

A quip is a type of joke. It's a witty remark made in a certain situation.

Sup Forums dosen't like them because recent Marvel movies use them too often, especially during what should be intense, dramatic scenes. This creates a separation between the audience and the characters, reminding us that their world isn't real and has no stakes.

A joke has a build up, a quip is just a one liner. Nothing wrong with them unless they are thrown there to cover poor plot, perfomances or technical issues

A quip is a situational joke. A standard joke works on more levels than what's immediate in the medium, a quip does not.

i was gonna say something like this. A joke usually has a clear setup and payoff. A quip is just a throw away line that is either funny or not based on the context and situation.

Is there a difference between quips from 80s/90s action movies and quips from modern marvel movies? Are Arnold's one liners funny only because of people's nostalgia at this point or is there an actual difference

curious about this as well

why are you speaking as if you speak for anyone other than yourself?

The Marvel ones are funny but its just that they over use it and even use it at innapropriate times. Basicly what said

Because I'm speaking for Sup Forums. Back to >>>r/movies with you

No son, you speak for your autistic self.

One quick difference is that early quips, or one liners, or whatever, usually came at the end of conflicts as a way to humorously wind things down as part of the resolution. Marvel quips tend to happen in the middle of a climax, which completely changes the tone and delivery inherently.

he's speaking for everyone that isn't an autistic 14 year old religiously fapping to marvel movies

Humor = Kino
Satire = Film
Joke = Movie
Quip = Flick

Jesus

it's weird when you realize that comics have a shitload of quips as well
maybe they're being too true to the source material :^)

At a doctor I asked the phlebotomist if I could get a fun bandaid and when she asked if I wanted Bugs bunny facing me or someone else as she positioned it on my arm. I said, "I'm gracious, I'll share Bugs with the world"
Is that considered a quip?

nah
One-Liners are usually Macho that take place right before or right after an action
a One Liner is effeminate and usually take place during the Action.

Groucho Marx had the best improv jokes.

A quip is something stupid, that requires little thought but sometimes gets a little laugh.
>That's what she said!

A joke requires a proper set up and punchline.