Remember that really old movie, "The Empire strikes back"?

>Remember that really old movie, "The Empire strikes back"?
I don't understand why Sup Forums and Sup Forums autists get so triggered by this part, it was a LIGHT-HEARTED JOKE.

Even assuming a 15 year old has watched the originals, it's still a pretty damn old movie - nearly 36 years old. When a movie or a TV show hits 20+ years old, that's when it starts becoming "old" and ready for nostalgia-consumption.

TuG

Spider-Man not knowing what hoth or an ATAT is was pretty retarded

This. He's supposed to be some science nerd who invented his web shooters but he doesn't know Star Wars?

Because it had a sequel recently and is probably one of the most famous movie franchise ever.

A franchise that had multiple shows for kids and is known worldwide too

He is american too so what the fuck, just say "that old Star Wars movie", am I supposed to believe teenagers today don't know it?

He DOES know. He assumes the rest of them are normalfags and don't remember the names of shit from sci-fi movies he loved.

I've had to explain what places and things from Star Wars before because people didn't know the names of them.

Yeah, it should have been "That old star wars movie".

Spiderman was born after the Y2K scare and raised by someone other than whatever the word for trekkie equivalents is.

It's like your parents complaining that you don't know the particulars of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" off the top of your head.

Tom holland is a brit

Sad as it is to admit, if he's 15 in present day even as a nerd it's unlikely he would have dug into Star Wars too much. All of the star wars movies made during his lifetime were trash and he would only be 2-5 years old when episodes 2 and 3 came out. Even episode 1 predates his birth.

Nerd and geek aren't the same thing
REEEEEEEEEE

You guys are overthinking it.

I meant Spiderman the character

>Spider-Man has no living memory of the September 11th attacks on the world trade center

Kill me

I haven't seen the movie, but I'm curious: does the actor try to put on a fake American accent?

You are honestly asking why pencil necked nerds are fighting over nothing?

He sounded like he tried to jog down the memory of what he assumed normies. He was right to assume they're normies. You always assume people are normies first.

He's right to not use AT-ATs. Do you really think the Avengers know what AT-ATs and Hoth are? Tony, maybe. I don't think Warmachine cares for that. AT-ATs were never said in the movie, and Hoth was only said a couple of times.

I think it was so normies knew exactly what he was talking about. In universe I believe it could be explained as him hiding his lower level.

We're upset because if Empire Strikes Back is old, it means WE'RE old.

And the truth is, we are, we're just in denial.

he was hiding his power level, he wanted to seem cool

This.
Christ I hate so much most of the Swfags because they're autistic manchildren

>He DOES know. He assumes the rest of them are normalfags and don't remember the names of shit from sci-fi movies he loved.
>I've had to explain what places and things from Star Wars before because people didn't know the names of them.

This. I think some anons in Sup Forums expect people to remember obscure trivia about sci-fi movies. Peter was right to assume that these new people he just met are normies and that they don't know what Hoth or AT-ATs are, or what Empire Strikes Back is.

I know people who are aware of Star Wars, recognize the actors/characters, but still get the titles wrong.

I didn't know he was a brit. He sounded American to me.

Yeah honestly, didn't even register as a fake accent.

>Spider-Man should know what AT-ATs and Hoth are
Uh... and what happens if Tony and Rhodes don't? The strategy just falls apart then.

It's really not obscure.
If he started talking about hating sand or unlimited power, then it'd be kinda obscure.

I think a lot of people who were exposed to Star Wars in the 80s and 90s thought it would be immune to aging.

The OT is rapidly approaching that "my name is Ozymandias, king of kings, look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" moment, and we're just not ready to accept that the once-grand statue is now just two legs, around which the lone and level sands stretch far away.

Anons lack perspective sometimes. When you spend too much time in nerdy sites and with nerdy people, you often forget that there are normies who don't know much about nerdy shit.

Everybody knows Star Wars, but not the particulars like AT-ATs, Hoth, or even the exact titles. Some people even get the character names wrong.

Where's that facebook image of a girl who typed Spock's name wrong?

>He's a massive tech buff
>This means he's a huge Star Wars buff
Did it occur to you that maybe he watched the original movies once when he was a kid, liked them (thus remembering this scene) but instead of dedicating his life to studying the deep and intricate lore of Star Wars and memorizing what model of Corellian Freighter the Millenium Falcon is, and what the various AT-AT and AT-ST, and ATT and other names are, he instead studied technology?
Maybe he can make those web shooters because instead of wasting his time fangasming over Star Wars, he concentrated on study?

Plus let's be honest, a science buff is more likely to be reading Asimov and watching Star Trek, than reading about the adventures of Kyle Katarn. Could be both, but he's not obligated to be knowledgeable of all nerddom.

We're you in coma late 2015?
There was a massive surge in popularity for Star Wars that only focused on the OT

It's obscure, at least to some people. It might not be obscure to your circle of friends or the sites you go to, but it is.

Where's that video of a mother and daughter who thought Mark Hamill played Han Solo

>Uh... and what happens if Tony and Rhodes don't? The strategy just falls apart then.
Rhodes seem to be a guy who knows Star Wars but don't know the particulars.

It's like you idiots forgot no one outside autists on this website gives a fuck about star wars.
You're all deluded if you think the normies that flood the theaters for these movies know anything about star wars other than "I am your father", me am yoda talking and force references.
So tell me how normies, the people this is made for, would know what AT-ATs are when they are never called that in the movie or why they would even give a shit about a 40 year old movie. They don't, so we get references like this.

This. I've known people like that. I expected them to be really into nerdy shit like Star Wars, but they're not that into it.

People will be triggered over anything nowadays user.

Spider-Man is back to being a semi annoying nerdy child, its refreshing.

>it's another disney damage control thread

>He thinks tech geniuses automatically have an encyclopedic knowledge of Star Wars

yes they are memelord

Because no one talks like that.

>Remember that really old politican, Abe Lincoln?
>Remember that really old musician, Elvis Presley?
>Remember that really old book, The Bible?

>It's obscure,

>star wars is obscure

are you fucking stupid

the name of the walker is obscure, few people care enough about the movie to look up the name

>mcu in charge of writing characters that talk like humans

Hoth and ATAT's isn't really deep Star Wars trivia like you seem to think it is.
You don't have to memorize everything about the original trilogy to know what they are

You're the one who's fucking stupid, if you can't even follow the posts. Star Wars is not obscure to normies. Things like AT-ATs and Hoth and even the titles are obscure to normies.

>marvelbabies try to reason their way out of a badly written line
It's out of character, it's self-referential garbage that only serves to felate Disney, and it legitimately took me out of the movie

It almost ruined the airport scene for me (which wouldn't have ruined much to be honest)

Not gonna lie, I expect a teenager that's not that into music to refer to Elvis Presley as an old musician.

>It's like your parents complaining that you don't know the particulars of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" off the top of your head.

But I do know the particulars of the "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". Because my parents raised me right.

Your perspective is clouded. You spend your time in nerdy sites with nerdy people. Anons are not lying when they say things like Hoth and AT-ATs are deep SW trivia for normies. Peter was right to assume the Avengers are normies, or to keep his power level hidden.

>tfw my parents know shit about movies and don't even watch them

then why would he not say
>Remember the walker things in Star Wars?
or something like that?

The whole line is awkward sounding. It'd be like if someone said "Remember that old movie, the Wizard of Oz?"

I've known what they are since I was in high school.
If you've ever seen a family guy cutaway or RC sketch about Star Wars, then you've probably heard of Hoth and ATAT'S

Uh... people definitely talk like that. It's not weird at all.

>it's self-referential garbage that only serves to felate Disney,

Which is funny, because him being an awkward dork about it would have been in-character AND they could have fellated Disney like they intended. This sounded like the writers were embarassed of referencing Star Wars but were still forced to.

Dude, just because the media hypes SW harder than the church does Jesus Christ doesn't mean normies care enough to remember stuff particular stuff from the movies. It's arguably one of the most well known "geek" franchises, but it's still a "geek"franchise. For the majority of people, SW is just another blockbuster, forgotten as soon as the next one comes out.

yeah because Tony Stark watches family guy and robot chicken

I didn't know what an AT-AT was called until I was sixteen, why do you think Spider-Man would?

Not everyone watches Family Guy, you know.

Hell I've been calling AT-ATs "Walkers" this whole time.

That's even a crazier claim. You really think a lot of people watch Family Guy and RC? Peter was right not to assume they also watch FG or RC.

Hell I frequent Sup Forums and I love science fiction stuff and even I didn't know it was called an AT-AT until now. If you were to ask me about the "ice planet" from Star Wars, I wouldn't be able to tell you it was Hoth off the top of my head, especially not in a battle.

Someone post that video of the mother who thought Hamill was Han Solo

Star Wars has been retold and referenced for like twenty years straight. There is not one person who doesn't recognize that there's a scene in Star Wars where a robot gets tripped.

Unless Peter Parker has absolutely no exposure to American culture, he is familiar with the scene.

The only reason I know what Hoth and the AT-AT's names are, is because I played Star Wars games like Rebellion and Rogue Squadron where they actually display those names.
The movie makes one passing mention of Hoth's name, and it's not exactly as important or iconic as "Go to the Dagobah system", and it doesn't come up in 4 different movies like Tatooine.

Can you for example name the plane where General Greivous was located in Revenge of the Sith? It's Utapau, but you probably had to think a little bit about it.
Can you say what the name of the 6 legged walkers in Attack of the Clones is?
How about the also iconic droid tanks in Phantom Menace?

At this point you're probably thinking "Yeah, but that shit is from the prequels, no one gives a shit about the prequels." but that's kind of the point. Peter Parker doesn't have to give a shit about Star Wars. He's not required to have played Star Wars Battlefront. Infact, he almost definetly didn't play the games created by Lucas Arts, which are the source of information for most people know these names.

>tfw I didn't even know they were called AT-ATs

I wasn't really into SW and my parents don't watch movies, d-don't judge me.

yeah and the scene never refers to the robot as an AT-AT

It pisses people off because sixteen or not, there's no way that Peter wouldn't have seen Empire or know the proper name for those things.

Spider-Man is supposed to be a nerdy guy who cares about this shit

Disney what are you doing? Quip about TFA and leave my OT alone.

And Tony Stark and Rhodes would?

"Remember that scene on Hoth when the AT-AT was tripped"

"Uh what the fuck are you talking about Peter"

But user.
Peter did see the movie, that's why he references it.

And read because AT-ATs are not named outside of books and games.

And that's what he did. He referenced that familiar scene in a way that would be recognizable to the normiest of the normies. He was right to assume everyone in that airport are normies.

Since when does Spider-man reference his encyclopedic Star Wars knowledge?

Okay? That's not what people are saying.

We're talking about how fucking dumb the line is.

>"Hey, there's this old obscure movie you've probably never heard of. It's called 'The Star Wars?" It's pretty far out there, haha."

Why?

>it's a Walt Disney Company damage control thread

>obscure
if Peter thought it was obscure or that people didn't know it he wouldn't be referring to it for a battle strategy now would he

Spider-Man's always had references
Star Wars is like the most referred to thing when it comes to referential humor

The toys. The massive, inescapable tidal wave of toys which crashed down on America several times over. There hasn't been a time in the past 20 years that Star Wars toys and other merchandise wasn't sold.

Maybe that part has a point.
You know, showing how out of touch Peter is with the rest off the world?
The same Peter who spends his time dumpster diving for Macs, probably has no access to internet outside the library based on his hardware and has the spare time to develop web shooters?

Maybe this serves to actually drive the narrative of him being a massive shut-in?

Well he would've explained it if they would not have understood it.

Jesus christ, you shills will do anything to defend your movie won't you

Why won't you guys just accept that it was a bad line? Everyone in the world know what the fuck an AT-AT is

You're really desperate to defend your corporate overlords, weren't you?

Star Wars is pretty classic, sure, but I know people who still haven't seen the orginal ones yet. If you are triggered by this you are an autist.

Because you should take time to explain your strategy in the middle of a fight while you're already executing it?

His explanation is dumb but you're just baiting now

In the scene they're referred to as walkers

You know how many people I've talked to that don't know what the fuck Hoth or an AT-AT are until I've explained it?

There's plenty of fucking flaws with the MCU but this line is hardly one of them

>Everyone in the world know what the fuck an AT-AT is
You were kind of right until this. No, not everyone in the world knows what an AT-AT is.

>Everyone in the world know what the fuck an AT-AT is
I honestly did not.

The only people in the world who don't know what an AT-AT is are people living in fucking africa

Disney doesn't need defending you know

It would've been just a small. I am going to web his feet and you punch him in the face.

It is not rocket science.

Most people don't even know what's on the inside.

You mean the big two legged walkers or the ones that look like chickens?

that is what most people will ask you if you asked them to discribe an AT AT from Star Wars, not everyone cares about Star Wars enough to remember the names of specific units from one movie

Spider-Man hates Star Wars.

Didn't he say something about "on the ice planet"

Even my grandfather would know what he was talking about.

If he said "you remember the walkers from Star Wars?" they might think of the AT-STs on Endor. That's why he says the "snow planet".

Oh, fuck off. Very few of us were even alive when that movie was out. Hell, I'll even bet that the first exposure a lot of you guys had to it was the Special Edition.

But would your grandfather recognize "AT-AT"?

>when the only problem consistently brought up for Civil War is the semantics of a line from a secondary character that wasn't even important to the plot

No really, user. AT-ATs were not mentioned in the movies. They were called walkers. Go outside right now and ask people about AT-ATs.

Disney doesn't need defending, but your claim about AT-ATs is wrong. You have surrounded yourself with these nerdy trivia that you seem to think they're normal, everyday things now. Star Wars is normie central now, but not everyone knows about names like Hoth, AT-ATs, etc. I shit you not when normies who act like they know Star Wars even get the character names wrong.

It's normie to know what Star Wars is, and what "Luke, I am your father" and talking like Yoda are. Things like AT-ATs and Hoth and even Tatooine are moonrunes to normies.

Must suck sitting blind waiting to be deployed when they get tripped and you're suddenly in a falling deathtrap.

I thought it was pretty funny, and didn't think much of it.

I'm gonna get real here, nothing triggers this generation, Y and the latter millennials , more than reminding us of our age, by reminding us that 80's and 90's nostalgia, all the things "EVERYONE is supposed to know!" is now closing in on nearly two decades behind.

I mean, I know the whole thing that everyone including a nerd should know about the ESB because its a famous movie etc but it's still a harmless joke, and you know the above is just true.

This is a generation that's going to have one hell of a midlife crisis, when the ACTUAL age you're supposed to have it finally rolls around.