George Lucas hints at new film project

>Stephen Farber: "Can you tell us about your newest film?"

>George Lucas: "It is science fiction. Flash Gordon genre. 2001 meets James Bond - super fantasy, capes and swords and laser guns and spaceships shooting each other, and all that sort of stuff. But it's not camp. It's meant to be an exciting action adventure film. I realized that I could make up a character as easily as Alex Raymond, who took his character from Edgar Rice Burroughs. It’s your basic superhero in space."

Anyone excited?

Source is Stephen Farber's lastest interview with Lucas.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bbgf5BC_s-4
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jan_Dodonna
audiori.net/starwars/timeline1974.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how many qt traps does it feature?

I doubt he'd would write a transexual into his new film, sir.

>super fantasy, capes and swords and laser guns and spaceships shooting each other, and all that sort of stuff

Soooooo, Star Wars?

George is going to save us from capeshit

hard pass

He's literally writing a capeshit movie.

I'm glad "The Star Wars" exists. Although I'm never seen it myself I hear it's quite good.

Didn't Lucas say for years he wanted to do small indie films after the was done with Star Wars? But now it's yet another adventure movie.

Sounds great, but it seems like it may be out of place in his filmography. I'm all for branching out but there is such a thing as too new and too risky.

can't tell if memeing or generally retarded.

George Lucas: Hello everyone! I'm hyping a movie that I'm making that's called >not Star Wars

In another interview he describes it as a cross between THX, American Graffitti, and Apocalypse Now.

Looks like kino's back on the menu boys.

>THX, American Graffitti, and Apocalypse Now.

Oh wow he's gonna fuck this up royally.

That's weird because it's pretty easy to tell that you're retarded

I hope it goes well

George has a lot of faults but his heart's in the right place

Literally what could go wrong?

Here is our first look at it
youtube.com/watch?v=bbgf5BC_s-4

I'd rather he make another American Graffiti sort of thing

He's bad at sci-fi

n-nooooooooooo... my secrets.

I like george's ideas and visuals. But he does need a filter aka a voice of reason. At least for dialogue.

Here's what I could make out from Lucas's notes from the photographs of his desk from the article:

>Aquilae is a small independent country like North Vietnam threatened by a neighbour or provincial rebellion, instigated by gangsters aided by empire. Fight to get rightful planet back. Half of system has been lost to gangsters…
>The empire is like America ten years from now, after gangsters assassinated the Emperor and were elevated to power in a rigged election…
>We are at a turning point: fascism or revolution …
>Notes on new beginning…
>for three main characters—the general, the princess, the boy (Justin Valor)—make development chart…
>Put time-limit in children’s packs…
>every scene must be set up and linked to next…
>make scene where Valor visits with old friend on Granicus…
>Oxus very old (150 years)…
>Should threat be bigger, more sinister?...
>A conflict between freedom and conformity…
>Tell at least two stories: Valor becomes a man (not good enough); Dodona wakes up (morally speaking)…
>Dodona like Green Beret who realises wrong of Empire…
>Second thoughts about Plot…
>Make Hu Tho a geologist or something…
>The general addresses men…
>Akira Valor leaps across (ramp being pulled away)…
>Weapon called a Thundersaber...

He also said it's those three combined with A Hard Day's Night, Dr. Strangelove, and The Adventures Of Robin Hood.

>Thundersaber

Why, you don't like that name? I think it's a cool name for a super fantasy weapon.

Because it's one word off of Lightsaber. No creativity whatsoever, he's just rehashing and renaming old ideas.

Lucas said that's his goal. He wants to reuse traditional elements. Martin Scorsese said in the article:

>"He has all these books with him, like Isaac Asimov's Guide to The Bible and he's envisioning this fantasy epic. He did explain that he wants to tap into the collective unconscious of fairy tales. And he's screening certain movies, like Howard Hawks's Air Force and The Adventures of Robin Hood."

>tfw Lucas makes a better star wars-like film then disney current star wars films

It's about a half robot samurai named Akira Valor with superpowers.

>America is the evil empire

But this is just Star Wars. He's done this before. This time, it will be without anyone to help him do all the good bits, I imagine. So it's going to be bad.

>Dodona

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jan_Dodonna

What did he meme by this?

>every scene must be set up and linked to next…

That this is optional, and that it appears so far down the list, says it all.

>Thundersaber
Now this
I can get behind this

>2001
But 2001 is a slow, ponderous movie

muh diiiii

But it was ground breaking for its effects and it's social commentary back in 1954

It's a great film.

Fuck you, you never even saw it, wait until a better target for your memeing comes along.

Nigga I doubt Lucas ever read a single EU book or comic.

wha

>excited by Lucas in 2017
m8...

I was me ming about 54
I have seen it
Several times and I will reiterate
It may be slow but as I say it was ground breaking

>But its not camp
fucking why? why can't he just admit he's campy. if he had fun with this instead of getting super cereal maybe it won't suck.

This flew over most people's heads, sadly.

You may have gone too far in a few places

What social commentary did you perceive in it? I can think of some commentary about human intelligence, artificial intelligence and communication with aliens, but not the kind of satirical comments that social commentary normally implies.

Sun Battles: coming to theaters summer 2020.

>cereal
Serial is what his whole deal is
Oldschool movie serials

>justin valor
>thundersaber

Great, so it's just an 80s Saturday-morning cartoon?

I didn't mean Ina satirical way at all
Quite the opposite as it came at a time of space race, cold war, first computers etc
Scifi of past was in many people's eyes becoming a real thing and I think this touched upon that and the human condition because of that
Blah blah

Yeah, in the interview he goes into it more:

>"This is a much more plotted, structured film than my first two. THX is a milieu film, and Graffiti is a character film, but the new one is plot-action-adventure. Take the first two and combine them with another side of me that hasn't been seen yet and you get this new film. But where it comes from I don't know."

He said he wants to make social commentary about the President, too. He was outraged at the President's recent firing of the guy investigating him.

Do you think audience will accept American troops and American government representing the bad guys?

I think it's a tribute to Inagaki's Samurai movies. The hero is a superhero robot samurai.

Sorry, not a robot. He's a cyborg.

>he's bad at sci fi
>literally created the most popular and beloved sci fi franchise of all time
Are you retarded?

Link to the article?

I guarantee it'll be better than those abortions fro (((Disney)))

>jar jar is the key to all of this

But he already did that, and that's why Star Wars is considered great beyond simple entertainment.

I'm not familiar with this "Star Wars" motion picture although it does sound rather dreadful.

how much would he have to pay harrison ford to be the lead?

The Star Wars isn't bad its a space adventure in the vein of the flash gordon serials, the film had aged quite well until a large number of cartoon animals were added making it largely unwatchable

Lucas is a great idea man. He should produce and do "Story By" movies for the rest of his life. Hire a good screenwriter and a good director to bring his vision, elevate his great ideas and tame down his bad ideas.

Lucas tried to do Douglas Sirk 1950s melodrama in Revenge Of The Sith, and it sucked because he doesn't know how to write it, doesn't know how to shoot it, and the actors don't know how to act that (even if it was written well) Lucas didn't know how to direct his actors.

If he'd hired Todd Haynes, who does know how to do Douglas Sirk 1950s melodrama, it might have worked.

Actually can't believe how many people fell for this b8

>if i point out the b8 i can ruin the fun AND feel superior

Op here. I think you're the first guy to figure it out?

>no sauce
>people keep posting here

jej

But it's not considered great beyond simple entertainment by anyone who isn't a Star Wars fan.

Popularity is nothing to do with quality, the people who like Star Wars shouldn't have the vote, really, they're meatshields.

To me it sounds like something really campy and surreal, as if Terry Gilliam did star wars

I don't feel that way actually just surprised
I don't think I am, I think there are people who probably egg it on because it's fun to act like George, after all this time, would just make another thing vaguely similar to Star Wars. Which would be hilarious if it were true.

>Lucas gets sued for plagiarizing Star Wars

So it's Harry Harrison?

Tbh I want to see him do something like experimental Terrance Malick, Arthur Lipsett or Godfrey Reggio. I want to see him do abstract films like he did in the 60s.

Nobody gives a shit about "Strange Magic." I don't know why Lucas is dithering- why the wait? ROTS was in 2006. It's been 11 years.

audiori.net/starwars/timeline1974.html

very witty.

How Many Times Do We Have To Teach You This Lesson, Old Man

Elsewhere he described it as a cross between Indian Jones, Willow, Howard the Duck, and Kagemusha

Bullshit
No sauce

In all seriousness, Lucas seriously did describe Star Wars as a cross between THX, American Graffiti, and Apocalypse Now. After Apocalypse Now got shut down Lucas took a lot of his ideas from that script and put them into The Star Wars. The Ewoks were supposed to be Wookies, and they represented the Vietnamese.

Lucas wanted it to be a comedy satire, like Dr. Strangelove, shot in a mockumentary style. Later when he did More American Grafitti he put a Vietnam scene in it that was like his original ideas for Apocalypse. Later he sold his Vietnam movie to Francis.

Meanwhile, he also wanted Dr Strangelove to influence The Star Wars. The earlier scripts had a lot of scenes of squabbling and scheming Imperial politicians angling for power and promotions. That was Lucas's comment on Nixon. He even hired the cinematographer of A Hard Days Night Gilbert Taylor for the movie.

And A Hard Night also influenced Star Wars. He had Gilbert Taylor (also of Hard Day's Night) but also Hard Day's Night's editor John Jympson fired. He wanted to shoot Star Wars like a documentary (not in shaky cam way, but in a 60s still camera long shots long lenses) but edit it quickly to give it energy, like Hard Day's Night. John wouldn't do that, so Lucas fired him, and he, Richard Chew, and Marcia edited it themselves and saved the movie.

By the way, that entire thing of the Wookies/Ewoks being the Vietnamese furry aliens fighting against the baddies came from a George RR Martin story called And Seven Times Never Kill Man, which was GRRM's comment on imperialism and Vietnam and Rudyard Kipling.

Honestly you're more retarded than him

He also said any movie he makes isn't going to be released and is just going to be for his family and friends

Star Wars fans may have gone too far in a few places

it will get released. whether he wants it to or not someone will find a way.

>implying that will stop people

The REAL episode 7 coming through.