youtube.com/watch?v=2R2OLpXDq_A
residentadvisor.net/podcast-episode.aspx?id=230
youtube.com/watch?v=KTDe_BbGO5I
youtube.com/watch?v=dQgAJe_0XGw
youtube.com/watch?v=x7tGX8LV-DM
youtu.be/iY-QBvy3lR8
youtube.com/watch?v=dooAjI6yOhg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I always thought he scored The Thing as well. It wasn't till recently that I found out he didn't.

>Synth music starts playing

>Cums

yeah it was ennio moricone, wasn't it?

oh shit he's starting to look like old david lo pan

Yea watched it last night for the first time now I know why Sup Forums loves it

*plays one note for ten seconds*

How the FUCK did they nominate the soundtrack for a razzie for worst soundtrack?!?!

think he did some of it

remember reading an interview where he was talking about the language barrier between him and ennio from when they collaborated on it

>Synth music starts playing

>mfw
youtube.com/watch?v=f1JYDmo19to

>Coupe DeVilles start playing

It's because the razzies are full of shit and often wrong.

>synth music starts playing

I have no idea. I mean, it's pretty minimalist at times, but that suits the film perfectly.

To be fair, the film as a whole was panned when it was originally released, mostly because of the gruesomeness of the practical effects.

I remember reading that after test screenings, some audience members complained that it made them sick. Carpenter simply said, "good," and refused to cut any of the gorey scenes.

>Kurt Russell enters room

>Carpenter simply said, "good,"
Nice.
Have the wonder what kind of people go into a horror movie and then complain that they saw something horrific.

>Writing for The New York Times, noted film critic Vincent Canby described the film as "foolish, depressing", with its actors "used merely as props to be hacked, slashed, disembowelled and decapitated, finally to be eaten and then regurgitated [...] it is too phony to be disgusting. It qualifies only as instant junk."

>Time magazine dismissed The Thing as "an exercise in abstract art", while Roger Ebert, in a slightly less aggressive review, described it as "a great barf-bag movie", but maintained that, "the men are just setups for an attack by The Thing."

>Even reviewers outside the mainstream were hostile towards The Thing. The magazine Cinefantastique ran a cover which asked, "Is this the most hated film of all time?"

>In science fiction magazine Starlog, critic Alan Spencer wrote, "John Carpenter's The Thing smells, and smells pretty bad. It has no pace, sloppy continuity, zero humour, bland characters on top of being totally devoid of either warmth or humanity [...] It's my contention that John Carpenter was never meant to direct a science-fiction horror movie. Here's some things he'd be better suited to direct: traffic accidents, train wrecks and public floggings."

> Carpenter was left reeling from the critical reaction. "I was pretty stunned by it," he later said. "I made a really gruelling, dark film, but I [thought] audiences in 1982 wanted to see that."

I will protect you with my life.

I agree, it suits the atmosphere of the movie perfectly.

Carpenter is based af for not changing anything too.

I've also read that he got a ton of extra time to prepare due to studio nonsense so The Thing was one of his most thought out and planned movies.

>>Synth music starts playing

we can only hope

I fucking really love that movie
I'm so retarded tho, I watched it like 20 times before I realized that was Wilfred Brimley

>stoopid critics
They weren't ready for John Carpenter's genius.

I got on the synthwave train with Drive in 2012 and literally have not gotten off

youtube.com/watch?v=2R2OLpXDq_A

Here you go. Here you ALL go! residentadvisor.net/podcast-episode.aspx?id=230

youtube.com/watch?v=KTDe_BbGO5I

>zero humour
What were they expecting?

Apparently, not a horror film that truly horrified them.....it's amazing how we lose our minds when we don't get what we expect.

It had some humor though, two scenes really stand out to me at least.

When Macready dumps the whiskey in the chess computer in the beginning

And right after they torch the thing, it's head falls off and grows spider legs, and they all turn around like "you gotta be shitting me"

Fuckin' sweet, brother user! Thanx!

>It's a John Carpenter thread

So, favorite Carpenter film? I got three: Thing, Big Trouble, They Live

Big Trouble in little China
Escape from New York
The Thing

Hard choice but I choose escape from new york

Thing, They Live, Escape From New York in no order. I haven't seen Prince of Darkness yet though.

1. The Thing
2. Vampires
3. Escape from New York

inb4 Vampires-- it was the first Carpenterkino I saw and I love it.

The main theme is Carpenter, the orchestral material is Morricone, it's kind of 50/50.

Big trouble has flaws but I like it still. Escape from NY is his magnum opus but the thing is a close second

When I was fifteen my grandpa showed me The Thing, The Shining, and Fargo while I stayed at his house for the weekend. Changed my life. RIP that based stoner old man

PoD is pretty good. I didn't mind it. The commentary is nice to listen to.

Don't forget vampires, ghosts of mars, precient 13, and most importantly the fog. I don't see these threads too often and I'm glad anons love JC as much as I do.

youtube.com/watch?v=dQgAJe_0XGw

youtube.com/watch?v=x7tGX8LV-DM

I can't hate a movie that has Donald Pleasance delivering monologues about gloomy, apocalyptic evil.

Dee Snider was in it too.

Kek it was Alice Cooper.

>Stranger Things
>It Follows
>Refn movies

What else has been very much influenced by Carpenter's music?

Good point.

1.Halloween
2.In the Mouth of Madness
3.They Live

But i havent seen a WHOLE lot. I havent seen the Fog and i feel like ill really like it.

The Fog is good, has a perfect "ghost story around the campfire" feel to it, has that early 80's comfiness to it, too.

kino

The Fog is probably his most underrated behind Prince of Darkness

I still need to see that Chevy Chase Invisible Man movie JC did.

Hey, it's Rob Bottin!

That was surprisingly not bad - I rewatched that quite a bit. No horror, light comedy....but it was good. We should probably also mention Village of the Damned and Body Bags (for the anthology fans out there).

The thing is supposed to be an unsettling horror movie but I find it kind of comfy. Prince of darkness however is a lot more unsettling to me. One of his classics
youtu.be/iY-QBvy3lR8

Big Trouble, New York, Los Angeles
I might me one of the few that like Escape from LA and also think that it is better than NY
Shit's fun

The apocalypse trilogy is top tier, for sure.

I miss Cabbie and the Duke, but overall I didn't mind LA too much. Stacy Keach was a nice touch.

The Thing is one of my favorite movies but I'm definitely not into horror movies. For me The Thing is a thriller with some gore scenes.

Surely not TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH

The Fog is a pile of shit, you fuckwad dweebs

Hal Holbrook was drunk on set for all his scenes, he knew he was starring in a shit movie

Always makes me think of
youtube.com/watch?v=dooAjI6yOhg

Wrong.

All time favorite Carpenter is either The Thing or Escape From NY.

I adore both those films to death. Really anything with Carpenter and Russel are GOAT. They're a cinematic duo on par with Hitchcock and Stewart.

His entire filmography is pretty amazing though.

Damn, is The Thing actually that good?

>Japanese synth music starts playing

yea, go watch it right now.

Yes. Go watch it now. It is one of both Kurt Russell's and John Carpenter's best films.

fuck off gossip little bitch