>Blockbuster epic
>Not capeshit
>Not franchise/sequel/reboot
>Not Disney

How bad is it going to bomb?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JLLa0gJQZLM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

both lead actors are box office failures, this will be an epic failure.

i'm looking forward to it. not enough brother-sister team up movies

*brother-brother

I'll be seeing it

>Not capeshit
>The film is based on the French science fiction comics series Valérian and Laureline

youtube.com/watch?v=JLLa0gJQZLM

It's going to be as good as Jupiter Ascending.

Did this movie not already pass through theaters?

It will make maybe twenty million dollars opening weekend, thirty at most

pretty bad

>180 million dollar budget

Jesus fucking Christ. Why the fuck does Hollywood act like the only options are 15 million or less low budget drama picture or 150 million+ spectacle?

pls no bly

does eyebrow slut get naked?

looks better than guardians vol 2 tbqh

Besson should make sequels of his successful movies instead of losing millions on these

It's like based off a foreign comic book. But it will still bomb, especially when the leads are two people no one really likes or takes seriously, in the given role

fuck off reddit

I honestly hope it doesn't fail, because I want more movies with a similar aesthetic. But I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be trash.

Nobody gives a fuck about Besson's older work. I mean I know and have seen arguably his best work, and even I don't really want sequels. The white avatars and overuse of CGI will kill this, just like it's killing King Arthur, a movie I'd unironically like a sequel to.

Looking forward to this but its almost a guaranteed flop.

Saw the trailer when I saw gotg. Some of the cgi looked cool, other than that it looks pretty bad.

John Carter 2.0

>not capeshit

It's based on comic books.
The only problem is that it will look like The 5th guardian of the elements of the Galaxy.

It's not a Hollywood movie, you retard.
It'll be a success internationally.

>all comics are superhero comics

why are her tits so big here?

it won't. it just has that "cheap movie" look

No, GOTG is more Reddit than Val you nufag

Pretty badly

It's not Hollywood, it's made in France.

I'm looking forward to it and hope it does well.
Might even see it twice if it merits it.

why did they get people who look seventeen to play hardened space detectives or whatever they are

>city of a thousand planets

Is it actually possible to come up with a worse name than this?

>Because in this trailer
>Come Together in the JL trailer

Why did the Beatles suddenly sell out in 2017? Christ I'm fucking mad

Without committed shills and PR companies, they will bombed hard.

KINO

Why does Cara's space suit have so much extra room for her boobs? They aren't that big.

Crazy french

Holy shit that's an awful poster.

i like that her tits are visible

>boob armor has massive boobs
>the person wearing them is flat

>Christin's scripts are noted for their humour, complexity and strongly humanist and left-wing liberal political ideas

well dammit, i was hoping this would be good

shame about choosing two male leaders and no a male/female duo

because they're 17, that acme isn't accidental

I want to be optimistic because Luc Besson is directing and he did Fifth Element, which was inspired by Valerian, but the lead actors aren't all that great

those aren't massive you fucking pedo

>Eyebrows of Doom
>constant nonemotional bitch face
>has a body of a teenage boy
>for some reason the male lead is mimicking her perfectly
yeah, I just can't wait to see those two on big screen

>girl is snarky
>girl starts kicking ass
>corny love subplot
>main actors are subpar at best

Gonna bomb just from miscasting.

Why does every fucking Modern Sci-fi space suit looks the fucking same

Looks like legitimate trash.
Dane DeHaan and Cara are not blockbuster movie material. See: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Suicide Squad.

This. Cara is ugly as heck. No amount of money her dad throws at hollywood will make me believe otherwise

i'm more excited for this than the new star wars

Its a CG cartoon with a bunch of real actors awkwardly greenscreened in
And your two main characters are charismatic black holes
Nobody really cares about these "huge CGI spectacles" anymore, everyones seen it a million times in capeshit arleady.

However it looks exactly like something the chinks would love so they could save it but this has failure written all over it.

you sound too young to be posting here

>excited
>new star wars

I really hope Besson is able to rejuvenate the texture of "The Fifth Element" user !!!

European sci-fi is one of the few bastions of the acid hippy mindset, did you seriously think it would be right-wing? What do you think Jodorowsky's politics are?

>BA-BUM-BUM-BA-BUM-BUM

>Utterly dependent on CG
>CG looks like shit

When it's so awful and outdated looking I can only think of the actors saying lines to a tennis ball on a stick in front of a green screen

hey this guy gets the joke

The real tragedy is the comics it's based on have a fun, light comic style to them, with plenty of lived-in ships and planets similar to classic Star Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy and the movie is as generic as fucking possible, looks like they sucked all the joy out of the source material and cast two charisma vacuumes as the leads.

very badly. it might suck, but I'm glad it exists. same with lucy and recent wachowski's output

not everything has to make complete sense and be meticulously crafted to avoid criticism about irrelevant plot holes. I just want to see directors express themselves first and foremost. a flawed movie is better than a forgettable safe movie

I feel like if the fifth element came out today people would hate it. it's kind of upsetting really. all these hugely popular fantasy/capeshit/whatever franchises and people get upset when movies dare to actually be fantastical or crazy

>I feel like if the fifth element came out today people would hate it.
I actually unironically hate it since day one. It felt like sci-fi for normies who hate sci-fi.

christ why would they pick these actors as leads whyyyyyyyyy why WHY

except it's not sci-fi, it's science fantasy. you are quite right that it's for a different audience

This is an honest, sincere question: what site is the opposite of Sup Forums for talking about stuff? I came to this thread because I thought this movie had *some* promise, and everybody here is shitting on my reasons for thinking that, so where I should I go to get out of your site?

>Nonsense Title starring Fag-man and Bulldyke
Yeah I probably won't see it.

Pretty bad.

It's a shame that a literal Sup Forums poster is going to start in two of the biggest bombs of the year that also are apparently very interesting, possible future cult films.

Plus it's weird someone from Sup Forums got to kiss Cara.

Anyway, it's huge budget, won't connect with Americans at all, and it's getting released by a small company (who have come in at the last minute because Besson's own company fucked up distribution).

Oldfags might remember that the Fifth Element had a ton of hype among movie nerds but was pretty much DOA at the U.S. box office when it came out.

pic related - I miss practical effects.

It's not a Hollywood film (hence the zero hype). It's French.

It's Luc Besson. What do you expect.

It's got great source material and Besson might be able to pull one out of the hat. The trailers are decent.

Like...It's not the 90's anymore, but Besson also didn't go completely full blown incompetent retard straight away like the Wackhowski "Siblings".

Plus Jupiter Ascending look hideously bad from the trailers (like John Carter) and this looks okay.

I expect it to do even worse at the box office though.

>haven't heard of it until last night
>releases in less than two months

It's DoA

they don't look even remotely interested on that fucking picture

well, i suppose they did a good job at picking two people who somewhat look like siblings. the guy looks like he's preparing for a sex reassignment operation and cara looks like a tranny anyway. so they kinda meet somewhere in the middle.

also
>those fucking eyebrows

Nowhere good left anymore.

Sup Forums used to be "better" but as you can see from this thread it's 99% Sup Forums, Sup Forums and /reddit/ now.

Hence unironic threads about Marvel films and people who literally have no idea what they're talking about.

>It felt like sci-fi for normies who hate sci-fi.

It was literally the opposite.

It was blatant plagiarism though. Which is why I was quite happy when Besson recently got sued and BTFO by John Carpenter for his flagrant thefts.

>those fucking eyebrows

She's basically this generation's Jennifer Connelly

reddit for Sup Forums, neogaf for Sup Forums. seriously, how new are you?

ive been on Sup Forums for 7 years, but recently I find I disagree with everybody here and I don't know where else to go

>It was literally the opposite.
Please explain.

>It'll be a success internationally.
It will do alright in Europe
It will bomb in the US with 50-60 million total at best
I can't come up with any prediction for Asia. probably depends on how they market it there.

the phantom menace

>boob armour
Yawn.

So, obviously it's not hard sci-fi. But it IS heavily derivative (lol inspired) of classic 70's Sci-Fi art and artists and soft Sci-Fi fiction that was hugely influential and popular.

I mean, I dunno, maybe we have different definitions. I wouldn't call Moebius and Co. Normie Sci-Fi, but maybe I'm just a disgusting normie.

Yeah, it could be "City Within the Moon" levels of bad.

>male lead at least superficially resembles the guy in the comic
>female lead can't be arsed to even dye her hair, much less cut it

Except ugly and flat

Neither of those two actors look appealing, or capable of carrying a film. The guy looks like a beta male that gets his lunch money stolen, and the chick looks like a fucking tranny.

It does look visually lovely, though.

>cara delameme is in it
itll bomb hard

they could switch each others armors and the difference would be barely noticeable.

>(Character's Name) and the (Macguffin or Place)

Unless it's Indiana Jones, that titling format is an instant flop flag.

The visuals aren't that much of a problem. It's like Terry Guilliam meshed with 90's popculture (which is a lamer, washed-out version of 80's popculture). But I just can't force myself to like the intentional overacting of pretty much all characters. I mean, shit, even Chris Tucker overplayed himself in that movie.

The visuals are almost literally copies of classic 70's sci-fi art. I mean to the point where it was suggested he be sued (and as I said, was later successfully sued when he went after American works rather than French works).

>intentional overacting

Interestingly I fucking hated the Christ Tucker stuff when I first saw it when it came out, but like it now, just because of how stupid it is.

Sup Forums has been talking about this since last year, gtfo.

>$210m budget
>Cast Cara DelaFridge and Meme DeHaan

cape means super hero cape, not comic, you ignorant fool

That's not practical effects...

>will loose ballpark 100,000,000

same as wonder women

>old pop song in a trailer
How original.