Superpowers with drawbacks

Alright Sup Forums time to discuss some superpowers with drawbacks.
My idea is teleportation. But, you can literally only transport your body.
Whenever you teleport, no clothes, no held objects, no other people, come with you. So you'd appear naked, in whatever location you decided to go to.
Let's say you want to do the classic, rob a bank by teleporting in thing. You'd teleport in naked, and have to find another way out with the gold, because you can't teleport it out.

Sounds like if you wanted to fight, you'd better learn hand-to-hand!

I always liked the super strength exceeding durability. Be careful, don't want to punch your arm off.

What about the food in your intestines? A weapon crammed up your ass?

Depends where you draw the line at something being part of your body. I'd say once it's passed through the stomach and is being processed by your guts it counts, but freshly swallowed food might not. A weapon crammed up your ads certainly wouldn't count. Neither would things like surgical screws, fillings, ect.

Ah that's a good one, if your tried to punch through a brick wall you'd basically just explode your arm

you could argue infectious diseases wouldn't teleport either. that alone would outweigh the modesty issues.

Ability to heal anyone else but yourself.

Human torch powers without being fireproof.

Crazy Diamond?

Flight, but no invulnerability.

One thing goes wrong at a high altitude, like you pass out, you're dead.

True, but without surgical screws my ACL would fall apart, and God forbid you need heart surgery

Could you teleport different body parts to different places but there's no way to be whole again and you're dead?

Darker than Black did this.

Although IIRC she could teleport other people, just not with their clothes. Lead to scenes like pic related.

The ability to see the future, except you now know that all actions are predetermined and free will is an illusion.

Maybe! I don't see why you would though

Immortality but you still age.

Super strenghth and durability, but no grounding

Reminds me of Boku no Hero Academia. The main character has super strength but hasn't figured out the durability side of things yet, so most major fights involve him shattering one limb after another.

The ability to read minds. You can hear one targeted person at a time so you don't hear everyone thinking in a crowd, but you read it how people really think.

"Gotta pick up my suit at drycleaners cuz that fucking asshole Jim spilled coffee on me maybe he's mutie scum did I just think that am I racist no I like niggers hehe i'd like to kill my boss I seriously wanna cut off his head and fuck the neck stump I wanna fuck the rabbit from Zootopia did I lock the door OH SHIT I CAN'T REMEMBER IF I LOCKED THE DOOR what was the name of that guy from Quantum Leap again Scotty Dracula or something HELLO MEGAN i kinda wanna fuck the fox too DAMMIT DID I LOCK THE DOOR what to get Mom for Mother's Day?"

Yes, but unless you see every point between the present and the predicted future event, you could re-contextualize the future event by changing things you didn't see in the prediction.

>You have a vision of someone stealing your wallet
>go buy a new wallet, so he stole your old empty one.

Super speed but with realistic caloric consumption. You can run at flash speed but you completely emaciated yourself and have to get an iv drip and such.
Or flash speed but you experience time at the speed of perception. Every time someone talks it's takes an eternity for them to say a syllable

Heat vision but it gives you a fever and leaves your eyes dry.

The ability to read minds, but it's a two-way street. You can fully hear what someone is thinking, but they can suddenly fully hear everything you are thinking as well.

>>yout teleport
>>all your intestinal bacteria is left behind
>>you die

Heat Vision

Drawbacks:
Cant expand it its as large as your eyes individually
Can only go in straight lines
Has a set unchangable temperature that gets weaker the more distant the beam is from your eyes

Shapeshifting
Drawbacks:you can feel your body changing, the bones realigning and fusing, parting, skin stretching, you can feel extra limbs sporuting out of your torso, your eyes rapidly growing and getting split up, your arms getting incredibly thin, you feel everything, the change is quick, but it is still painful and you might pass out.
on the bright side, some animals/bugs cant feel certain pain, or are more tolerant, so it might not be too horrible.

That doesn't seem like much of a drawback at all though. Just a limitation.

Telekinesis

Drawback: In a very Terry Pratchett-like twist, any force you exert on an object is counter-exerted onto your body. You can lift something into the air, but it is as difficult as lifting it yourself. You could push something, but only as well as physically pushing it (and it would shove you back if too immobile). You could levitate by pushing against the ground, but it would be like walking on stilts - and you would slip if the ground slid. No catching bullets or stopping yourself from a lethal fall, since the shock would just break your arms and not slow it down enough.

I like this one. It could actually be used as a strength too, you can disorient and overwhelm your victim by cramming in your thoughts to their unsuspecting minds.

So it'd basically be like projecting your body force slightly further away

Let's say it's more like, you and the tissues and gut flora that gained powers at the same time as you. Kinda like the fantastic 4s clothes changed with them, all your bodily bacteria have the ability, but only the ones local to the body or with some sort of genetic connection.

Time Stop
Only your mind still works, meaning you can't move at all. If you stay in frozen time for too long you might get an epileptic fit and even kill your brain because too many synapses fired off in your brain.

If you die does time restart? Or is it like that twilight zone episode where the guy has the magic stopwatch and accidentally stops time forever

Being able to read minds but the person you form the connection to can read your mind back.

It's still a better version of telepathy than the one Cally from Blake's 7 got.
>You can't read anyone else's mind for shit, but your own thoughts are aired like a broadcast

The way I see it, time has only stopped for you. That means that even if you got stuck in a single moment for the rest of your existence, the rest of the universe would go on without you.

As a person who has suffered many seizures, fuck this ability. You don't want it. My warning sign is mini-blackouts and feeling emotionally overwhelmed. I'd rather have a boxing match with the reaper than go through another one.

Ehh I liked this guys

name a time and a place i'll put you on your death bed 10 years before you die from a seizure

I don't want death, I just don't want that crazy emotional low and sense of dread.

I mean I'd rather fight than not have a choice and end up with random fits that ruin my life.

A human with the power of these guys. He would be untouchable in the dark and his counters in close combat could take down almost anybody, but sun light turns him to stone until it's dark again. However he can use high intensity discharge lights to solidify parts of his body for more force.

What's the drawback on manipulation/ generation abilities?

As in control of forces instead of altered human/ animal traits. If, say, the character could manipulate gravity, would you just put the flip side on him? If that's all it is, that's kind of sack and unthoughtful.
>duh if he makes something light he has to become heavy
Not the weight of something; the affect mass has on inertia, etc.

Are these considered overpowered, since you can just use your power to fix whatever fault comes at you?

Is it just sunlight that does it? Or any light from like a torch or flashlight? Just UV?

Superhuman strength without some form of superhuman durability. Your limbs explode from the sheer force of your strikes.

This is straight up evil.

Superhuman strength does exist, you just have to eat constantly and maintain the strength. Just like superhuman speed. All those things do is burn at your metabolism faster than normal to produce extraordinary effects.

>Manipulate gravity
having no control of how intense the effect it'll be or the area it'll affect. Say you want to increase the gravity under someone's feet, now everything in a 1km radio is pancakes

Sunlight only, it has something to do with radiations so it can be manually created, just not with any light or fire.

Control of the fundamental forces is pretty overpowered unless it has some serious limiters. If you can control gravity or the weak or strong forces you could literally just make someone's body disintegrate at a subatomic level.

I've seen that cartoon before.

It not exactly that he couldn't figure it out. He subconsciously hold himself back out of fear of what he is truly capable of. Remember when he fought Muscular and use the full power of his One for All? Theoretically he should had lost his hand afterwards after going beyond his established limits, But he didn't. Meaning on some level he subconsciously controlled his powers to the extend that he wouldn't lose a limit but will still be severely injured as a result.

I like the idea of immortality, as long as you don't get yourself killed.

As in, you're still as weak as any normal being, you can just live longer than anyone, given they don't kill you.

Fuck it, give me that. I'll just train then and with time, I'll have control.

Thats basically the elves from lord of the rings

>Animal based powers
you become a furry

Nah its literally like rolling a d20, random every time. This thread is about drawbacks, not what powers do you wish you had

>pyrokinesis
>you can only set yourself on fire

So, characters like Quake from agents of shield are OP?

People tend to love OP for main characters then.

>you become a furry
this is both the most brutal and the most gentle drawback

shapeshift into a human that has that disorder that makes you unable to feel pain, then shapeshift into whatever you were planning to turn into

Well, its both for me. I'd be willing to take a power with a drawback like that. Same thing with the elve's immortality.

Certain drawbacks can't even be enough to be drawbacks. I mean, check Godzilla. He's a walking nuke, if you kill him, the power unleashed could probably wipe the surface of the planet.

TOTHO!

Gentle?

Not when everyone on here finds out you exist.

Absolutely. Characters with OP powers are usually written either poorly enough that they don't use them to their full potential, or with some limiting factor that prevents them from fully exploring the ability. Someone who could locally weaken or strengthen gravity could realistic fuck up everyone's shit at a fundamental level.
I say they can change gravity, but it's random by how much. So it's either -%82 percent or like +%152 but they have no idea which. Plus they are subject to the change too. If you want to hit someone nearby, you gotta be ready to be flattened too, or drift off into space.

I think it should be more like captain atom. Incredible power, but if you breach his skin he explodes like a massive nuke. He's the ultimate glass cannon.

Dimensional storage within your own body. Anything with either a height, width or length greater than the dimensional of the individual in question would be incapable of being stored in the dimensional storage. You can potentially lose flexibility or total movement within a particular area if something is too heavy or long is stored there. For example, you are 6 feet tall and decided to store a 5 feet long rod inside of you. You will lost the capability to bend one of your legs due to the fact that the sturdy rod is stored there. Whatever is stored inside you dimensional storage will also weight you down. It would be like you are carrying weights despite not actually carrying weights.

>locally weaken or strengthen gravity could realistic fuck up everyone's shit at a fundamental level
Pffft, try electromagnetism.

>this thread (kind of)

>everyone on here
>implying that Sup Forums even matters

ok but what level of furry?
not all furries want to fuck animals

Does it mess up your innards at all? I feel like having a 5 foot rod running through you would mess some things up.

What shape is that?

Level 6.

Haha skyrim carry weight.

>You'd feel your nerves fizzle and burn out as they lose all sensation. Like developing freezer burn on every pain receptor in your body.

U rite nah nigga

Rape gon cum frum errwher

Ah yeah, so powerful you attack by flicking your finger, but you only have 10 fingers

>your strain of teleporting intestinal flora enters the environment, spreads to others.
>People gain the ability to teleport like a pound of gut bacteria wherever they want once at will.

Why would it? It is basically a special dimension within your own body. You can't bend down if a rod is stored within the dimension of your knee. This is mainly because of a self-defense mechanism designed to protect the object stored inside the dimension inside of your body. None of your internal organs or stuff would be effect since they exist in 2 different dimensions and aren't sharing the same space.

yeah but whatever you shapeshift to afterwards probably has sense of pain.
furthermore midmorph you might recover your nerves and all that. its not a safe bet, and you will still feel when you shape to another human.

read animorphs and then imagine actually having to morph a bug and actually feel it.

Similar to Animorphs but I don't think they felt pain. They just felt everything

I more meant that they hitch along because they lack the ability to control it with higher brain fuction, but they have the properties that allow them to teleport.
That said, your main supervullain is now your own teleportin hyper advanced gut flora that can infest the human populace

they didnt feel the pain, but they could kind of still feel which parts were moving.
the drawback of this shapeshifting is that you do feel the pain, every single muscle contracting, expanding, disappearing, every bone that rearranges itself, or disappears before your arm does. you feel everything. but the shapeshifting doesnt take more than 20 seconds

Make anyone obey your command.

But can only use it on a person once.

Super strength, but without super resistance. You can punch very, very strong, but your arm breaks.

It's still useful, but with a good drawback.

Dragon Breath/Fire-Breathing

Drawback: Rapid caloric consumption. The fat is, in a sense, literally burning out of your body. You run out of fat, you may find yourself in the middle of a fight while thin, starving, and sans breath attack, which is a nasty place to be.

You could just pack on the pounds for preparation, but:
1. You're going to be crazy out of shape 'til you burn those calories off, and
2. The constant yo-yo'ing of your body between fat and thin states in such short and rapid periods of time can not possibly be good for you in the long run.

It'd very much be something you'd need to manage very carefully with regards to how it affects your health, both in short- and long-term.

Drawback #2- must make eye contact for power to activate.
Drawback #3- power will eventually evolve into a state wherein it is always active.

You will listen to all of my commands and obey without hesitation.

This is a really good one.
Rapid fat loss can cause some severe side effects including
Liver damage
Muscle loss
Loose skin
Gallstones
The effects on blood chemistry would be interesting too, and rapid weight gain would also be have its own set of problems.

Regenerative healing factor that consumes energy from your own body. Depending on the severity and extend of the healing done with the regenerative healing factor, your aging process could either continue as it normally would or your could age several years. For example, healing from a minor cut will age you by about a few hours. Healing from a broken arm will age you by about a few weeks to months depending on severity. Regenerating a missing limb or organ will age you by about a few years.

But that's how I have always and ever imagined mind reading.
Like, you simply hear what they think. Of course you would hear it how they think, like you would hear how they speak.

But stopping bullets is not hard at all. Bullets make holes because the force exerted is on such a small area and skin is not all too durable.
So let's say you have a contraption with a piece of kevlar, which is fastened to your hand, but doesn't touch it - like a telekinetic wall would be - and let's further assume the kevlar is stiff so it won't swallow the impact - you would surely be able to stop the bullet by just holding your hand against it.
Of course that will only help with handgun rounds.
A five kilogram kinetic tank projectile will throw you off your feet and in the wall behind you.

So basically The Man From Earth.

Look up biological immortality

Mel Gibson did a movie about that. Though he could hear thoughts of women only.

You are right, it was portrayed exactly like that. Though he could even hear the thoughts of bitches.
I was in the theater back then and a girl from my school I had a crush on was also there. With her boyfriend.

>golden touch
someone help me come up with a downside

Yeah. I said all that because movies and TV doesn't depict reading thoughts the way real people think. Jean Grey and Matt Parkman hear someone say one perfect sentence in his head, one at a time.

BARARARARARAARRARA

You can't turn it off.

I was kidding user
ever heard of king midas