Changes in lotr from source material that made no sense

Changes in lotr from source material that made no sense
>Gimli thought Moria expedition is all fine despite them not giving signs of life for years
>Denethor literally telling Boromir to bring him the ring before he went to Rivendell, thus ruining his whole arc
>Pippin asking where are they going after fellowship formed.
Dumb unnecesary joke that destroyed hobbits characters, they were supposed to ba scared to go, but still find courage. Not knowing whats the plan really cheapened it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sroTgdhacpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Gimli thought Moria expedition is all fine despite them not giving signs of life for years
If I remember right, didn't he still hope in the novel that everyone was fine? Not completely delusional as in the film, but still unrealistically optimistic.

These are 3 minor things in about 9 hours of movie. This thread is ridiculous.

I'm not saying that movies are bad because of those or something. But some changes Peter made were unnecesary

Also it's Isìldur, not ìsildur
It's Denéthor, not Dénethor

Do the books have all those fake deaths? Such a cheap plot-device. And how did Grima not notice thousands of orcs being drilled while conducting business with Sauronman?

The only thing that really bothered me was the army of the dead change.

Changing Gimli to a comic sidekick that kills people why pure luck while Legolas is changed to be a superhero were the two worst for me.

And with all than they manage to score the same amount of kills somehow. Legolas should have had 10x Gimli's kill count.

The Gimli change was by far the worst thing. It brings me out of the movie every fucking time he quips.

>no Tom Bombadil

Jackson is a hack

>Do the books have all those fake deaths?

Yep.

>Pippin asking where are they going after fellowship formed
Necessary comic relief for Hollywood. Gimli became a clown too, in the books he has like 40 lines at best, all very formal and polite, except perhaps that part with Helm's Deep caverns and Legolas.

Yeah, and Gimli's choregraphy with his axe is so slow and unconvincing. I don't get why people keep associating dwarves with long battleaxes. They would be much better with short swords.

>Dumb unnecesary joke that destroyed hobbits characters, they were supposed to ba scared to go, but still find courage. Not knowing whats the plan really cheapened it

I didn't have a problem with this. Pippin was naive and immature. His arc was him growing out of being a dumbass.

>>Denethor literally telling Boromir to bring him the ring before he went to Rivendell, thus ruining his whole arc
that's a deleted scene though

This was by far the most necessary change, and only autists get upset by it.

Christopher Lee said in the behind the scenes videos that Peter made the best decision in terms of what should be left in or left out. Some things from the books would not work on screen, and Peter knew the books very well so does his wife who co-wrote the movies. So i wouldn't say anything was unnecessarily changed

>Denethor literally telling Boromir to bring him the ring before he went to Rivendell, thus ruining his whole arc
Wasn't that what happened in the books? Someone had a prophetic dream (was it Denethor or Boromir himself?) and Boromir was sent to investigate, no?

only retards give a shit about Tom Bombadil. It adds nothing to the story, it's just a short hand for "I read the book, gee ain't I smart mommy, please give me praise"

>At the end of The Fellowship of the Ring where Aragorn sees Frodo fleeing and decides to let him go and hunt for Merry and Pippin instead.

this pisses me off, it never happened in the book. neither did Frodo leaving in the boat and Sam having to chase him.

fuck off you illiterate, the Old Forest chapter is beautifully written and is one of the best parts of the entire book.

>all elves having straight hair and the same haircut
>elves using curved blades like some savages
>"Arwen's fate being tied to the Ring" wtf
>Gimli being a clown instead of the relatable and deeply loyal dwarf he is in the book
>Legolas being an action hero instead of the wise and deep character from the book
>having the Witch-King break Gandalf's staff
>the mouth of Souron is a hideous monster instead of a human
>Sam is fat

the only change I liked was that Frodo struggles with Smeagol instead of Smeagol just falling down into the fire

this will fix all your problems about lotr

youtube.com/watch?v=sroTgdhacpg

and has nothing to do with anything

its how the Hobbits get their Elven weapons, from the Barrow Wight.

Aragorn not wanting to become King. In the books he totally does.

>>the mouth of Souron is a hideous monster instead of a human
Not to mention that Aragorn murdered him in the middle of parley. That's considered a war crime even by Medieval standards.

Yes. That is the reason why Gimli was at Rivendell, they were om a mission whose purpose was to figure out what happened to the expedition.

Wrong!

>Elven weapons
They're Arnorian weapons. Made by the Numenorians of the North.

good changes:

>elves come and help Aragorn
>Faramir is not a total Mary Sue who isnt interestend in the ring at all
>Tom Bombadil not in the movie

>Don't worry Sam, I'm sure that Bill the Pony will somehow survive on his own in these dangerous lands and make it all the way back to the Shire

Adding in the shit romance, it did nothing.

What happened in the book?

>At the end of The Fellowship of the Ring where Aragorn sees Frodo fleeing and decides to let him go and hunt for Merry and Pippin instead
>This didn't happen
Autism much? Aragorn didn't see them with his own eyes, yes, but it doesn't matter because immediately after that he is seen choosing between following F & S and going for M & P and he ultimately chooses the latter. This is such a minor difference it's the first time I've seen anyone bring it up.

Another change I greately appreciated, even if it was clearly done for time reasons, is that Gandalf told Frodo to leave the Shire immediately instead of having him stay around in the Shire for weeks doing nothing and then do this convoluted plan of pretending to move somewhere as if anyone would care.
There was urgency, without these pointless delays the Nazgul wouldn't have caught up to them.

Bill survives in the books as well. Makes it back to Bree.

In the book he does, you dip

And then they cut the Faramir and Eowyn romance, which was actually good.

In the books Bill runs away and Sam believes he's dead.

If there is ever a faithful adaption of Lotr filmed, I still hope they leave that retarded faggot out of it.

Was Jackson right to left this out?
I mean it's really anticlimatic and Saruman's defeat has to be the most pathetic death of any villain but still would've been great to see.
How would've been the way to do it?
Making it as some epilogue after Aragorn's wedding?
A separated movie?

>the only change I liked was that Frodo struggles with Smeagol instead of Smeagol just falling down into the fire
This. Imhotep Caras Galadhon being a bit more eerie than in the books was also a good move.

>>Denethor literally telling Boromir to bring him the ring before he went to Rivendell, thus ruining his whole arc
explain further

A trilogy
Scouring of Shire : The Frodo Returns
Scouring of Shire : Rise of The Hobbits
Scouring of Shire : Death of Sourman

>Was Jackson right to left this out?
Yes. It wasn't bad in the books, but would have been bad in the films for pacing reasons

grima gets there after the ents
how? I don't know

He literally did and came back to Rivendell in the book

>Arwen's fate tied to the ring

Everything about Arwen in the movies could've been left out except maybe a few flashbacks with no speaking rolls and the very end. Prop her up as some beautiful thing that Aragorn wants to get back to (like all wives in war movies). Liv sucked ass and I literally do a 270 degree spin and go to the kitchen every time her shit comes on.

It could work if we had 4 movies instead of three, and the pacing would be slower. I doubt it could've worked though, people were already getting tired at the end of the RotK.

They're Westernesse weapons, the only type that Merry could've possibly used to hurt the Witch King the way he did. Kinda wish this was touched upon in the movie.

arwen and not glorfindel because muh women power
no imarahil
no ekrant
no pelargir
shelob in rotk and not TTT
elfs on helm's deep
orcs inside minas thirith
aragorn fighting with swords agaisnt nazguls
aragoirn fighting urku hais before helm's deep
theoden possesed by saruman
aragorn doesn't see the black sails
etc

Just because they only named 3 things it doesn't mean that there are only 3 such things in existence.
Retard.

It was unnecessary. Jackson decided to go the route of the shire being this ideal place where a changed frodo could no longer stay instead of Tolkien's original intent of war having no boundaries and the shire changing forever.

Weeks? You mean years

one of the weirdest decisions in the history of fiction to have this in the books at all. Tolkien was really a bit of a hack outside of the autistic world-building.

Yeah, exactly. Aragorn didn't need that sign.

Did you misstype their names on purpose? Spilled my shit all over the place, famalam.

It's such a stronger ending to have Frodo be weary of the world from all he went through.

Yes, obviously they condensed the years it took for Gandalf to come back from his research, but I was specifically refering to how in the books after Gandalf tells Frodo about the Ring, it takes him weeks before he actually leaves for no justifiable reason.

If you want to bitch about adaptations Game Of Thrones is wayyyyy worse than Jackson's LOTR adaptation and makes me appreciate it even more.

What are people's thoughts on them removing the whole "Merry and Pippin become tall" thing?

I just wrote very fast likd vey fas mane

It literally did nothing for the plot or any character arcs other than making their time in the forest seem longer and more magical.

LOTR: An Unexpected Shire
LOTR:The Desolation of the Hobbits
LOTR: The Battle of Bywater
3 hours each mind you

well to have rufians doing bad things and the new heroes geting them btfo is understandable but having Saruman there as Sharkey it's really stupid

his writing was influenced by the world war, I suppose he wanted to convey that the war with sauron was all consuming and none were spared from it's long lasting impact.

Tokien wanted to give one final fuck you to industrialism by showing how it ruins not-England.

and also industry destroying little towns of britain

LOTR: The Scouring of the Shire Part 1: An Unexpected Return
LOTR: The Scouring of the Shire Part 1: An Unexpected Struggle
LOTR: The Souring of the Shire Part 1: The Party Tree

LOTR: The Scouring of the Shire Part 2: Flight to the Cottons
LOTR: The Scouring of the Shire Part 2: The Plannening Part 1
LOTR: The Scouring of the Shire Part 2: The Plannening Part 2

LOTR: The Scouring of the Shire Part 3: Hobbiton Down Part 1: The Beginning
LOTR: The Scouring of the Shire Part 3: Hobbiton Down Part 2: The Fight
LOTR: The Scouring of the Shire Part 3: Hobbiton Down Part 3: The End Part 1
LOTR: The Scouring of the Shire Part 3: Hobbiton Down Part 3: The End Part 2

A ten-part epic that spans 3 days told over 30 hours of cutting edge CGI in an actual town with actual Hobbits genetically bred to fit the rolls.

Cameo by Peter Jackson as a brigand and a special appearance by Andy Serkis reprising his role as Gollum.

No Legolas no buy

don't worry, he takes down another Oliphaunt on the boarders of Buckland.

You're not thinking big enough. He takes down three oliphants at the same time.

phwoar

Actually it was a metaphor for how about trying to win a war results in once idyllic country side being filled with factories and pollution. It wasn't industrialism per se, but a specific kind. Shit like Green Belt now protects the country side from that type of crap; then again, not been a world war for a long time...

Pippin's journey across the sea and bringing back an army of Valar spirits happen in this? If not, downvote.

>Pippin's journey across the sea and bringing back an army of Valar spirits happen in this?

It's the basis of a spin off movieverse