What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

movieweb.com/movies/2015/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Disney didn't took rights back.

>Magneto

It exists.

They're running out of ideas, and don't know how to make any villain that isn't Magneto work.

DOFP and First Class were middling, only saved by some good performances from everyone involved

I'm not really shocked

From the sounds of it, it actually sounds fun, but the way the critics put it is that its overall story is too classically vanilla to outshine DOFP's more thoughtful conflict. Sounds like this is to DOFP as AOU is to CW, only the order release was reversed.

>56%
>same as MOS

FOX ON SUICIDE WATCH

I like First Class less and less each time I see it, but man McAvoy and Fassbender are both so good in it.

Their first meeting still gets me every time.

>I thought I was alone.
>You're not alone. Eric, you're not alone.

It tried to do too many things
JLaw was boring
Too much Magneto
Not enough of the X-kids Cyclops, Jean, Noghtcrawler
Not enough of other characters like Psylocke and Jubilee
Stuff is set up and dropped
Poorly developed characters/plots
Not enough emotional impact

No, that means it's amazing. Like MoS.

No, no. That means movie is polarizing. That's good.
As one user said.
>THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU SHAFT BASED RIGHTCLOPS FOR JLAW
>X GONE GIVE IT TO YA

People liked DOFP so much because it was the first cape movie since TDK that was focused almost entirely on the characters instead of the narrative. The plot mattered to a degree, but everything about the story rotated on the axis of the people instead of a MaCguffin hunt or somesuch.

Apocalypse just seems to be a fairly generic cape movie with the X-kids in it. That doesn't mean it's going to be bad, but it will disappoint people who just saw how much better the franchise can be then that kind of template blockbuster narrative.

How are they running out of ideas when they've only ever used like 2 villains?

This image seems appropriate.

>no Picard

>no Gandalf either

At least the RT score actually rose unlike BvS which kept on going down like a sinking ship.

hopefully its people getting tired of cape movies.

>no Picard/Gandalf make out session
Is it so much to ask for?

Bryan Singer, 2014:
Guys, I know the movies are getting a bit dated and the leather is old news. No more leather and no more putting together fractured cast into barely-cohesive teams. I get you don't like I killed a bunch of characters and just used some as cameo and cast some bad actors, but the old guys were cool so we'll make another movie to say goodbye to the old cast, hello to the new, and start anew. No more Magneto and friends after this, I swear!

Bryan Singer 2016:
Fuck you. Angel dies, cyclops is back to second fiddle, mystique and friends, jubilee is just a cameo, all the makeup is somehow 10 times worse after 10 years, beast ins't blue, xavier isn't bald, magneto has like a 3rd family by now, jean and friends, paintball armor, more wolverine. In two movies everything is back to where it was AT THE TIME WE DECIDED TO SOFT REBOOT IT, WOOO. Now where are the twinks?

>CW at 90%
I don't think so, mate.

>What went wrong?
RT provides "Critics consensus" on the page for this exact reason, user.

I wish Vaughn stayed with the X-Men instead of moving on to Kingsmen. He seemed like a better fit.

Not enough quips and not produced by Disney

I think that people getting tired is making the movies need to reach a higher standard of entertainment value for people to give a shit. There's been too many superhero movies for critics and audiences alike, and franchises can't coast anymore.

I think that AoU might have been the last freebie. Not that I think it was bad, but after TWS, Guardians, and now Ant-Man and Deadpool and Civil War, shit like AoU and Iron Man 2 would've ended up further down than their 75s and whatnot. Fatigue is a good thing, since it's forcing the studios to justify each movie now. Novelty has completely worn off.

Kind of sucks for DC and FOX because they are sort of late for the game with their new (and newly revitalized) franchises, but it's kind of their fault. They could've leaf the charge. It's enough cape movies that people feel forced to choose a team to follow, and with that the MCU has more inertia for both critics to enjoy it more because they are engaged and invested already. The MCU can tank one or two hits unlike the other companies.

Not that the other companies are making a great job of not putting themselves open for hits. Heck, fucking FOX almost sabotaged Deadpool, the first proper X-Men character that was faithful to the spirit of the comics.

Yeah, but at least Kingsman was nice. FOX had a solution right in front of them.

Fox and WB didn't pay the reviewers enough

>hulk.jpg

What.

Yeah. They all gave the critics a free movie to watch, but theirs' wasn't as good, and the critics didn't feel well compensated.

I wanted my free blowjob, those cheapskates.

They didn't have James Marsden, Famke Janssen, Shawn Ashmore, Kelsey Grammar and whoever the fuck played Warren return for an X-Factor movie instead of this drivel.

There is no superhero fatigue you moron. Before Avengers, there was maybe 2, 3 if lucky, cape movies a year. Now there are 4-7 sure, but 4-7 out of 150-200 movies that come out of Hollywood is nothing. It's called availability heuristic. Because cape movies right now have the biggest budget, biggest casting news, biggest box office.

movieweb.com/movies/2015/

OMG there are like 200-300~ comedy, action, horror movies a year internationally. Muh comedy movies bubble!

Cape movies are here to stay unless Marvel fucked up the last 6 movies as DC did and they all flopped financially and by critics. Then Hollywood would invest in the next trendy genre that makes money.

Why didn't they just kill Mystique? She's finished her story, Lawrence quiet clearly hates the role and doesn't want to do any more and it would add some emotional weight to both Charles and Eric.

Disney didn't just give them a free movie, they gave them more...

>it would add some emotional weight to both Charles and Eric.
Charles and Eric are the cancer killing these movies at this point. They removed them from a movie called Deadpool, [spoiler
]injected some fun[/spoiler] and made the most successful X-Men film of all time.

Like Lex Luthor shenanigans, people are just getting tired of it. Six fucking films of Magneto's problems is just plain enough. He's tied with Luthor for "Most overused villain".

>Muh Superhero fatigue

"Poorly made, unentertaining movies of my fandom are doing badly, clearly this is some fault of the audience."

Sorry, nope.

I'll let you know after next Friday when I go and see it. I expect I'll like it though, it looks very promising aside from JLaw.

nothing. since yesterday the rating went up 10%
after initial reviews, there is a massive influx of positive.

but of course, marvelshills will argue that

lel, have you seen the movie?

It seems the movie is mediocre but not bad or a disaster.
Perhaps it can be a slap on the face of twinklord, so that he gets his shit together and makes a good movie.

checked

STOP THE MARVEL SHILLING
reeee

the movie will do fine. fine enough to make another sequel

I think that it will end up with 65% freshness

>Charles and Eric
Don't kid yourself, those two are literally the only emotional anchor in this franchise. Either start completely fresh or end their run on a graceful note. The sad part is that they could have said "okay it's done" in DOFP but then they made Apocalypse do double the work of ending the FC trilogy while making way for the new kids.

user summed up what the reviews are saying

Like, some pointed out Psylocke has less lines than Magneto's soon-to-be-dead wife, that's not an opinion

And anons make mistakes when they quote as well. A lot of people want X-men to fail so badly, I don't know why. I don't want sniktbub in avengers

All I want is to finally see this fucking movie
The waiting is killing me

>A lot of people want X-men to fail so badly, I don't know why.
Muh movie rights and muh Logan/Spidey bromance.

Of course. It's amazing that spider-man still have fans after OMD

People started relying on the opinions of others instead of forming their own. Everyone became afraid to have an independent thought, so they started making these places where others could go to collect the acceptable opinions that they were required to have. Also, I haven't seen the movie.

Most of people are hate-reading. Spidey is popular with people who didn't touch comic in their life.

That would make sense, since 80% of Sup Forums are casuals. If not more

I think that the initial negative reviews damaged the image to the point that everyone ignores the fact that majority of people feel positive about the movie. it's like they wanted another deadpool

>A lot of people want X-men to fail so badly

What's so surprising about fans not liking where things are going? Must it always be a [other company] conspiracy

Why would i be excited about Mystique being like the mutants' Jesus? Magneto being a villain for the hundreth time? Shitty tacticool costumes, characters like Psylocke or Jubilee being barely more than a cameo (basically the same thing that happened in the original trilogy), Wolverine gettint attention again, Singer retconning his own movie (Mystique apparently never helped Wolverine after DoFP, Stryker's still around), and an apocalyptic scenario being used as the *start* of the renewed franchise instead of a culmination?

I guess you could say "but DoFP looked bad during marketing and it turned out amazing!" but i'll tell you, i like the movie, but there's nothing impressive in it if you remove the (admitedly emotional) moments with the old cast. I mean, there's the Quicksilver scene, but that was such a spectacle > substance scenario that they had to make the character disappear for the sake of the rest of the movie to work

Mystique is not the face of the movie, albeit she appears a lot, she is not the focus, even reviewers pointed that out.
Jean and Scott are.

You finally get a new villain, Apoca-fucking-lips
and all you can do is meme with Ooze

There is a hint for Sinister appearing in next movie, as well as Shi'ar. But nooooo.

For the first time, the costumes will be more comic booky. But then again, costumes are the least important thing about the x-men, you filthy casual. You want shitty tacticool? Check Captain America.

Wolverine will have a cameo, because otherwise, other casuals would ignore the movie. You can check the archive if you don't believe.

You keep whining, but what you don't get is that this is the best that we can get from X-Men. How do you imagine marvel doing adaptation? By quipping about Holocaust?

By lowering the stakes? By making villains boring and bland? Do you think that marvel doesn't change its source material? How many similarities there are between CW: the comic and CW: the movie? Because I don't remember Zemo (who is completely different character in the comics) being responsible for that

Oh hey, it's higher than MoS now

Ultron created by Tony Stark
Zemo without costume
etc.

You don't get to complain about Mystique being inaccurate while sucking Marvel's cock

not to mention Stark hijacking a Captain America movie. Hat they released it as Avengers: Civil War, that would be understandable.

It had more quips than MoS

>Don't kid yourself, those two are literally the only emotional anchor in this franchise.

Both roles are overwritten, play an overly-large part of the drama, and yet there's no real development, just incessant attempt to "redeem" Eric's soul with varying success, Eric backsliding back into diabolical ruthlessness, rinse, repeat.
It'd be like having 6 Captain America movies where Bucky snaps and goes off and kills a bunch of people, Cap has got to fight to get his buddy back and snap him out of it, on to the next movie with the next breakdown.

I understand that the X-Men have a shit-tier rogue's gallery, with crap like sewer-mutants, Magneto's evil band, the victorian asshole club of Evil and 90's shitlords like Apocalypse and Sinister.

But surely they can find a few movies worth of compelling challenges that don't involve Jean going SSJ right away.

>

Piece by piece, Singer fits this ninth film in the franchise (which includes Deadpool) into the X-Men universe like a master puzzle maker. He does it so well, at least in terms of storytelling, that the X-Men franchise still has a vigorous future.

>This is turning into the season of superheroes battling other superheroes, but "X-Men: Apocalypse" is the first one, so far, to do it right.

>

I think this movie is for fans of the franchise or characters only. While I could recommend Days of Future to sci-fi fans at large, I don't think there's much here for people who haven't seen the previous films or know the COMICS WELL.
OH THE HORROR

>As a whole X-Men: Apocalypse delivers far more than the trailers promised.

of course, I don't care for the reviews, but since so many people do care, here they are

>Also, I haven't seen the movie.
Then your opinion means nothing

but so does everyone else in this thread

I'd rather trust people who have seen the movie versus people being cautiously optimistic for tge sake of it.

Majority of people who've seen the movie seem to like it, unless 56% is not majority for you

And even those who didn't like it, had a lot of good things to say

The real reason that Charles and Eric have all the emotional heft is that aside from Huge Jackedman, the remaining cast are television-tier actors, with either thin walk on parts or roles dedicated to polishing Wolverine's dick.

"Ok in this scene, you confront Wolverine about how much you admire/hate/love/sympathize with him."

What's the consensus on the performances asides from Jennifer "phoning it in" Lawrence?

It's Jackman's fault, as Singer would prefer to give more time for twinks, I mean, teens

>even reviewers pointed that out.
>Jean and Scott are.
Reviews point out that thise two get fuck all to do especially Scott.

>You finally get a new villain, Apoca-fucking-lips
>and all you can do is meme with Ooze
Yeah because he's fucking shit it doesn't matter if he's new

>stuff

Oh, nevermind you're just an asspained FOXfag.

>Majority of people who've seen the movie seem to like it, unless 56% is not majority for you

Oh joy.
Also the average score for Snyder's autism-fest is significantly higher.

Fox doesn't pay traitors sorry, critics

They failed to give DMX a cameo or to have one of his songs in the movie. And everybody knows that every Xmen movie should have some DMX somewhere.

That's actually really surprising

>You don't get to complain about Mystique being inaccurate while sucking Marvel's cock
Nice job putting words in my mouth, i never complained about inaccuracy, JLaw's Mystique is just a boring

>Mystique is not the face of the movie, albeit she appears a lot, she is not the focus, even reviewers pointed that out.
>Jean and Scott are.
character, and my post there's nothing "sucking Marvel's cock"
I've read reviews saying Jean and Scott are barely explored as characters after a bit of tension when they first meet, i guess we'll have to watch the movie ourselves to find out
And even if Mystique isn't the focus, she's still an inspirational figure, she leads the team etc., it's an importance that i just don't feel the character earned

>You finally get a new villain, Apoca-fucking-lips
Yeah, that controls sand and apparently is barely a threat, as some are reporting

>For the first time, the costumes will be more comic booky
>For the first time
>What is First Class
And they get them when the movie's over. And they mostly look like crap

>You want shitty tacticool? Check Captain America.
And here's Marvel mentioned again....

>but what you don't get is that this is the best that we can get from X-Men
And you know this because...?

>How do you imagine marvel doing adaptation? By quipping about Holocaust?
HERE'S MARVEL AGAIN

God damn, you call me whiny, you call me the drone trying to take your franchise down, but then here i am trying to discuss the movies in their own right while you scream about [other company]

Iirc, JLaw, Fassbender and Isaac are said to have phoned it hardcore.

and? some people liked it.
also, X-Men are not superman, they're supposed to be grimdark.

>I don't know how RT works

Its sitting at a 50% rating on metacritic and a low 40% among top critics on RT. The most glowing review that isn't from a fucking shill said it was okay and highlighted the same problem like all the negative reviews.

Call me whatever you want, you hypocrite.
You're not better

Messed up the post

*Nice job putting words in my mouth, i never complained about inaccuracy, JLaw's Mystique is just a boring character, and in my post there's nothing "sucking Marvel's cock"

>JLaw's Mystique is just a boring

I see, not enough quips

Did Marvel touch you somewhere bad as a child?

well, maybe because if not fox, then who would make x-men movie? sony? universal?
gee, I don't know who.

I hate marvel movies, they suck, so obviously, I don't want marvel to touch x-men as well. and you also shouldn't want to, because you would have x-men in every marvel team, which would make x-men shitty, just like in comics

Will this movie have a shittier defense force than MoS?

Scott pls.

>Doesn't like MCU
>Doesn't like Marvel Comics
>Doesn't like X-Men comics.

You are just in this thread to be a contrarian shit-lord, that's apparent. No one aside from his Mom is that big of a Singer fanboy.

That's okay. The thing is, I'm really curious, because the complaints are odd, like too much jokes, villains not having enough screen time, focus being on two main characters of the conflict, etc. Which btw is not a problem in that other movie.

Don't blame me for pointing out double-standards

Yes, see

I guess that you like X-Men being gassed like jews by inhumemes? OR uncanny avengers?

Give me one reason to trust marvel, after what they did with x-men comics

Making a bored Jennifer Lawrence the main character.

Maybe some critics are dumb or weren't paying attention

I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT MARVEL

And there's more to these movies than the company behind them! Spiderman and Amazing Spiderman are both by Sony, does that make them the fucking same? Holy shit

So, I am forced to like marvel's crap?
Why? X-Men is for different audiences?
Why it all has to be the same?

Isn't that the question of the day?

At least X-Men's characterization isn't assassinated anymore in order to prop Hitlerclops.
Fucking editorial.

Yeah, characters they actually cared about, and a plot that wasn't just there to set up pretty shots.

Pretty much every character ever has been killed/erased/fucked-up in a long running series by every comic book company ever.

Stop being such a crybaby faggot because Marvel is dicking around with the X-Men.
Being an X-Man is suffering.
Every good X-Men story has been done by Marvel, they are their characters.

Do you rage every time the Teen Titans are blown up?

>Which btw is not a problem in that other movie.

Because criticism and art aren't hard sciences. You can like how one move did something and not like how a different movie did it, it's all about execution.

You can't nail down film criticism into some kind of scientific formula where trope A is always bad regardless of execution or context.

>Why? X-Men is for different audiences?

The X-Men movies are made for the exact same fucking audiences, and you really need to crawl out of your neckbeard-hole if you believe otherwise for even a second.

Exact.
Same.
Audiences.

>MUH DEADPOOL
When will you retards realize that Deadpool was already more popular than all of the X-Men before his movie came out? And his association to the X-Men is as significant as the Avengers i.e. bot very.

That's a shitty excuse. And I don't watch teen titans. Just because marvel is butchering x-men currently, I should praise them for the past? That's ridiculous

Fox didn't pay as much as Disney for reviews

It's bullshit. If you think that avengers and x-men are the same in tone, plots, characterization, then you are delusional. Not everyone has to like X-Men, and vice versa. As a matter of fact, a lot of people don't like them, because they find them depressing