Is it any good?

Is it any good?

I like it. It doesn't start slow and the scenes are consistently interesting.

Have there been any shitstorms over god races? those things are always fun

Enjoyed the first episode.

Second one jumped the shark.

Until it gets popular, yes

>AM I A GOD

wonder what this means?

Kinda weird how little greek gods there are in the show. Greeks are usually the most popular. Maybe that was deliberate though

It really would have been better as a show you could binge. In the book weird shit happens gradually, but you can keep reading until you get to the point where it some what gets more concrete. Here you're kind of left in this messy vague dream with constant visions of which you see an hour of and then have to wait a aw week to see it which doesn't make the episodes feel very good on their own. In the book It's also this sort of constant wank over american history and culture. You just sort of hang around the weird characters and then get all sorts of little anecdotes and trivia about america described to you. As a tv-show though it has to actually show something, it can't tell it to you, and the thing that it can tell you just becomes paperthin, since that really is what the book is if you would remove all the descriptions of everything and overarching story of american culture.

I thought it would be hard to adapt when I read it and they really haven't changed my view on that with this show. They reallly could have used some changes to the story to make it fit better on tv. I think if you read the book it's fine but if you haven't and you look at it as its own thing then it's really lacking.

Honestly other than purely episodic crap like cop procedurals, all shows feel much better when the episodes are binged.

Random thought-I really like the way this show does a recap. Usually, it's these fast cuts edited together for a quick summary, the recap in episode two was slow-paced and accompanied by mood music, it was refreshing

It's a shitty adaptation of the book. Like 4th or 5th season of GoT shitty. Not as bad as Stardust or the Neverwhere series.

Might pass for for casual entertainment if you don't like to read.

What's with the rise of surreal television lately, Legion was all trippy as well, then this, Twin Peaks is coming back, and people are generally starting to do lots of experimental shit

I wasn't impressed with the book at all honestly. It's just a meandering mosaic of little vignettes, and that's fine, but it got way more accolades than it deserves.

Spotted a pleb!

No disagreement on that point.

>decide to adapt gaiman
>don't adapt sandman

what did they mean by this?

reality itself is surreal at this point. eventually we will reach a peak unreality where we will not be able to distinguish real from unreal, true from false, and then Ryleah will come into being and Dasein will kill the thieves of night

u mean r'lyeh? we're all already here

fthagn

>It's just a meandering mosaic of little vignettes, and that's fine
Pretty much. The vignettes themselves aren't good enough on their own to sustain an entire episode though imo, it's the added overarching narrative around it which makes it work in the book. Case in point the last episode with Chernobog.

Sandman is hard to do. To do the story justice you'd need to make it a miniseries, but all the special effects and shit would make it insanely expensive, probably more so than Game of Thrones.

It's like that in the book, if I remember correctly.

weirdest thing is how they just hand wave away jesus with one sentence and Muhammed isn't mentioned at all.

It's meh. Just meh.

i enjoyed this aswell. all other shows are just like "Hey you need to remember this this and this because youre memory is complete shit"

>Is it any good?

Good cinematography (as always with Fuller), storywise it's so so, the basic premise is a fight between old and new gods, it moves slowly and it's hard to care for any of the characters, the main character Shadow is so far an extremely boring cuck, perhaps he will pick up pace.

As of now it's carried largely by the charisma of Ian Mcshane and a appearance by Gillian Anderson as the god of media, I'll give it another ep and if it doesn't improve I'm dropping it.

it would be a hair less obvious you're a viral marketer if you wouldn't for the love of christ POST THE SAME FUCKING IMAGE EVERY DAY

hope you family are raped by niggers and burned alive

it's the first image that comes up for the show you retard.

Because those gods are insanely powerful and don't give a fuck about the petty gods squabbles, new or old, Jesus Mohammed and Buddha are way to strong to care

hindu gods should be stronger than fucking buddha

Some would be, but Buddha gets more genuine worship, the Hindus are only paying lip service to Kali so she's kinda weak, Krishna would be up their tho

isn't buddhism a non-theistic religion? buddha isn't a god

greek gods did not appear in the book because there was no evidence that greeks reached america, but some years ago a roman coin was found in america so the show shows the roman god Vulcan.
By the way he is the god of fire, in the show he is connected to guns.

oh please and egyptians, hindus, slavs etc. reached america early? no one reached america pre-ellis island except the vikings and christians

Thought that was a ad for Saul

I honestly forgot since i read the book, why did shadow forget who he is? and why was he black?

Buddha runs the gamut from not even reincarnated to full deity depending on the sect.

this,

i cannot stand normies invading my intellectual calm state space

Neither is baron semedi or The Railroad technically, people still worship both

muhammed is not a god retards, he's a prophet

irrelevant in this setting, retard

So um, why did the african ladys vagina eat those people? africans have weird gods

Not really

Kinda sucks they spoiled who ian mcshane is so early, couldn't have even waited one episode?

Will the show be good?

Probably.

Is the book?

No.

The first is a rich idea and they can hit upon the meager great parts of the book with incredible actors/actresses and make them even better.

The latter was generally okay writing (he should stick to comics) and generally undeveloped visiuals. They're already doing a service to the mess that was the book. He also full on GRRM'd and stopped writing to pursue other ventures (other bad books).

They'll stay true - and improve - and then Game of Thrones it.

It's the smallest, least interesting thing in the book. It's literally forced in ur face on the plane in the book.

However the the fact his prison mate is Loki is for some reason made a secret even though in the book he's literally nicknamed Low-Key Liesmith.

Is episode 3 out yet?

oh loki is that friend he had in prison? cool

>low key liesmith

The big ones are.

Crispin Glover isn't his prison mate.

Wait then how do they learn they need to have Laura killed?

CMON LADS POST THE WEBM ALREADY

Crispin Glover also isn't Loki. He's one of the new gods.

In the book, low-key lysmuth and mr. World are the same people

Slavic gods are best gods

>dat stormare

Anansi was interesting too, but i groaned at the "shot by police can't get a job" shit

Yes he was.

so why isn't jesus on the show?

Anansi was dramatically better in the book. It was a generally horrible upset.

that said it's the only upset so far.

When I read the Slavs part Stormare was exactly who I pictured.

Not a fan of Mad Sweeney though. always pictured Brendan Gleeson.

Which is dumb because a Gun God would be a American God, not a Roman one. Missed opportunity.

cunt magic not joking

Brendan Gleeson is not lanky or tall, thats a terrible pick

In the book it is even mentioned that Gun God exists

In the books there's are separate Indian versions of the Hindu Gods distinct from the American Hindu Gods.

Doest matter in the setting. Johnny Appleseed is a character, same with the market forces of capitalism and highways.

Shouldn't there be a god of drugs or a god of sex? A lot of people sacrifice to them

Theres probably a New God of Pharmaceuticals but the idea of sex is taken care of by people like Media and the Queen of Sheba.

>not a single greek god

reeee

The faith-based shtick has always confused me. disregarding that i HATE the trope of gods relying on humans for power that's the universal new way of portraying gods, it makes no sense

1)fucking no one actually believes in Odin as a real god anymore, so he should be dead

2)but if it's just KNOWING OF Odin, then everyone on the planet does, if only from fucking thor movies, so he shouldn't have a problem with his power diminishing

3) If it's only the sphere of influece of a god that matters, like in DC comics where Ares is strong becausde war is still everywhere, again, odin is a war god and the god of wisdom and death and shit, so he should have no problems

hephaestus will show up. or "Vulcan", fuck i hate that roman shit.

my autism is especially triggered when they call some gods by greek names and other by roman names

Nu-pagans are a thing, not much of em,but they exist

yeah but that's just a social thing, i doubt people who identify as nu-pagans actually think zeus is real and has a white beard and shoots thunderbolts

TRIGGERED

African Slaves were pre-Ellis.

The book makes a point that even without worshipers, Gods can live off residual prayer and worship. Wednesday gets it by fucking virgins and playing cons, like a boss.

On another note, I'm still pissed Ron Perlman isn't Czernobog.

>Egyptian gods black
Historical revisionism strikes again.

>americans bastardized vision of egyptian gods are black

Pro tip: The gods you meet in this aren't going to be very much like the original gods from where they come from.

I'm enjoying it so far but the direction is oftentimes needlessly weird, the story is surreal as is they don't need to make it weirder just for the sake of it. I also hope it doesn't get too pretentious like Hannibal.

I cringed hard at the slave scene in ep 2. Other than that it has been pretty good.

So is this gonna be online in a few hours? It was last two weeks because of webrips.

They're manifestations of the place's people belief in them, they're black literally because we wuz kangz.

No but Odinism does.

It's time for your daily dose.

Goddamnit I hate how they're straying so far from the Book.

>Literally nobody believes in the old gods.
>Everyone has a smartphone or a computer etc.
>Old gods will win anyway because muh quirky Odin.

You're really begging for spoilers with a post like that.

Isn't this more an idol god type series. People 'worship'/know of something/a god, therefore it exists. It's why there's tech 'gods' and why there are 'copies' of gods. When people don't worship or care for the old idol, it doesn't just die or disappear but becomes weak. They also take on bastardised versions of the base personality that changes with region.

As someone who hasn't read the book, therefore not upset that they didn't cast roles as i percieved them, i'm enjoying it, interesting characters, story and images,
also very happy the two main characters so far are brits.

>two main characters are Brits
>Brits
user, I...

so what. Shadow will turn out as a god of what? cuckolding?

Fuller's autistic obsession with dream sequences and beasts in them is slowly ruining it.

>white male kills a black bull
What did they mean by this?

They meant that Czernobog is gonna hit Shadow with a fuckoff hammer.

It ain't exactly subtle.

I imagine the producers are terrified of mentioning Muhammad, on account of being bombed or some shit.

That's the fault of Christians / Catholics / Muslims. When the Greeks, Romans, etc, were creating their gods, those gods had limits. God / Allah is the ultimate Marty Stue. Can't tell an interesting story about them because any problem that arises they can simply will away.

The black chick swallowing people with her vagina is one of the most ugly and vulgar things I have seen on TV. I really hate it.

Freakish and weird looking. Looks nothing like Lucy.

There's Greek God Gay Sex in today's episode. You'll get your share.

The gods only partially rely on belief to gain power.

Odin is a god of war, the simple act of wars happening gives him power. It's the reason he's creating the war between the old gods and the new. Because if the gods go to battle then his power will increase massively. In the books / show he isn't weak at all.

It's the same with Loki, he's working with Odin to start the war because as the god of Chaos his power will also grow.

When does episode three go up?