Rocko's Modern Life Is Officially Coming Back

nickelodeonanimation-viacom.icims.com/jobs/3970/storyboard-artist-(rocko's-modern-life)/job?mode=job&iis=Indeed&iisn=Indeed.com&mobile=false&width=1214&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-480&jun1offset=-420

Looks like Nickelodeon is looking for a storyboard artist for a Rocko's Modern Life TV movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

creators.co/posts/3912984
youtube.com/watch?v=2nvsNdgs97g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

why? I mean, I love all these old Nick shows like Hey Arnold, but why bring them back in the form of movies? Kids these days don't remember them and most people who do are too old to care unless they're hunched over their computers on message boards talking about them still.

I feel like, over the past 5 years, almost every Nicktoon has been rumored to be "coming back". Yet, here we are, and none of them exist.

Besides, bringing back Rocko would ruin it. Also this

Anyone contact Joe Murray bout this? He's pretty accessible.

Hey Arnold! actually deserved to get its intended conclusion but Rocko doesn't need one and it was not designed to exist anywhere but the 90s. Shity idea

>Anyone contact Joe Murray bout this? He's pretty accessible.

What would be the point? NDAs are standard now, so he wouldn't be able to tell anyone anything.

Dear god... no... NO!
WHO DID IT? WHO'S THE FUCK WHO DID IT?!

I really didn't think Rocko of all shows would be caught up in the reboot murder machine that showed up recently.
At least it's just a quick and painless movie instead of an agonizing wound of a new season of the show.

Why god? Who actually wants this boring waste of a half hour to come back?

I don't know. Craig Barlet was pretty open about Jungle Movie happening - plus this job listing is on a publicly accessible website.

Rocko was my favorite Nicktoon by far, but this makes me apprehensive.

Joe's been hinting at this for awhile,

If they can get all the right people back and recapture the charm and humor, then bring it on, I fucking love Rocko.

M-maybe it'll be good? What's Nick's track record and reviving dead shows?

no no it had its run it was fine leave it be

Which record?

Well, at least the voice cast will be easy to get. They're all still on the Nick payroll.

Probably. He pretty much got the entire voice cast from Rocko to return for Camp Lazlo.

And Ariel.

Why is Nick swinging so hard for the nostalgia audience?

y'all niggas are posting in a timbox thread

NO 90s nick shows are being revived outside of the HA Jungle movie. no nicktoon avengers, no new Doug, no new Rocko, no new Rugrats

What else do they got? Though Loud House has been pulling good numbers.

Did you even check the site?

The Nicktoons team-up movie is literally being written as we speak by the Napoleon Dynamite writer. It might not get greenlit, though.

because they don't have modern quality material

creators.co/posts/3912984 Yeaaaahh

Seven years ago this would have worked. Now people who grew up with these are too old to get into it.

Harvey Beaks is pretty good

it keeps getting worse day by day

Rocko was completely a product of its time. It still holds up, in fact it holds up amazingly well, but it's very, very much a 90's cartoon. The humor and premise are very 90's, following the "let's see what we can get away with" trend following the success of Ren and Stimpy. The animation in particular is strikingly period, and I have a hard time believing that it could translate over well using modern animation techniques, and I doubt that they could get enough of the original animation staff over to help.

I could barely see something like this working in the early 2000's, much less the mid 2010's. Furthermore, it's been off the air long enough that the people who grew up with it are too old to care, and the modern younger generations don't even remember it. To top it all off, the show was almost completely episodic with some baseline continuity, and had a proper ending, so it's not like people are looking to tie up loose ends like they are with Hey Arnold or Samurai Jack.

Who the fuck would even watch something like this? For what purpose is it even being made?

>Who the fuck would even watch something like this? For what purpose is it even being made?
They did this kinda often with other series in the last years. Maybe they either don't have any other ideas for new shows or it's just nostalgia or maybe they think the series will creat a hype like back then.
But I don't know any cases for which this has worked (or at least I can't remember). The style usually changes too much when a series is continued by different people 20 years+ later and the masses tend to watch stuff that contains shit that hasn't been done before. It's like someone would start another Simpsons clone nowadays. Hell, I might even like it but it would never get a large fanbase.

Of all old Nicktoons cartoons trying to come back, Rocko is probably the WORST of them all to revive.

Rocko is hilarious and popular, but it's a show that thrives by being made in the era it was made; Rocko today would be heavily tamed compared to its original and that alone was half the charm.

Any more HD Rocko pics?

I didn't like rocko when I was 5.
Being 19, I still don't like Rocko.
It's not as bad as cat dog, but car dog I can watch.

Why Rocko? No one asked for this.

Season 1 Rocko was all about tackling the mundane, every day problems of modern life in what was essentially a cartoon hellscape. No air conditioning, credit card debt, bumming around in a movie theater.

I don't want to see what problems he'd tackle in a 2016 modern life.

I just realized this too. FUCK

I'm mad.

What the fuck is car dog and why it's not so bad as rocko?

Why. Just let it stay dead.

>the movie is set up in setting of Future Schlock ep

Gonna be gay XD SO RANDUM toned down tumblr schlock.

why can't good things stay dead?

I swear to fucking god why won't they let the old shit be? TTG, PPG, HA, and now Rocko? IT'S TIME TO STOP.

youtube.com/watch?v=2nvsNdgs97g

>TV movie

Good (At least it's not a new series)

What would it be about?

reboots are ruining the classic shows one by one

If it was like real life he'd spend an entire season trying to find a weather app he likes for his iPhablet 27SLGI

Slapstick shows in this era of PC.

Good luck with that.

You guys it might be neat give it a chance

>Danny Antonucci, the creator of Cartoon Network show Ed, Edd n Eddy, was hired at Nickelodeon to be storyboard artist

It’s a joke post, user

>"What record?"

FTFY

Welp, here we go another show that won't be good because it won't capture the essence of the 90's which was "Lets throw in adult jokes that no kid will get but still enjoy because it's silly."

Oh well, let them do this and let it be a disappointment. Just like my life after they started doing the splat on teennick and I could no longer watch my guilty shitty pleasure of degrassi re-runs at 4AM.

oh gee, an extremely dumbed-down and longer version of a nostalgia-bait show

welcome to the present, everybody

>creat

WHY DON'T YOU CREAT A MONTAGE

Loved Rocko growing up, but this makes no sense to do now. No kid today is going to care about this series. Only people in their late 20s or 30s would.

>yfw when you realize the only reason they're doing all this shit is because of the nostalgiafags that have plagued the comment sections on their social media pages for years

>they make one joke that would have been fine in the '90s
>tumblr explodes, dozens of fat women work around the clock to call the studio and whine

Well it looks like Joe Murray is on it so he should stick to his guns completely.

Also these TV movies are looking to be just a one time event for The Splat late next year, first HA's movie was announced, the timing and it being the first to be said just seemed like, you know, a follow up and conclusion. This gives it as more than just something they chose for shows who needed it, these are actually coming together for likely one big event like I said, around November next year.

Could they do Invader Dib? Not sure, seems like that's touch and go, they're doing a comic so it'll probably be a later issue of that, they probably won't touch Zim.

Could they do that cancelled Aaahh! Real Monsters movie? Possibly, since it's one of the main shows on their line up like Rocko and Arnold at times.

I'm just saying, we shouldn't worry, it's going to be weird as hell, but the best we can hope for is the upcoming TV Movie event to include movies that don't feature NewPPG width of outlines.

Jhonen probably won't want to do Zim at this point and Zim without him is guarenteed failure

He said a few years ago (yea i know) he'd be interested in doing it back at Nick, he's also the main guy (obviously) on the comics, he'd probably do an animation / one-shot TV Movie (that was Invader Dib's thing, a TV Movie closure like Hey Arnold's) for the show, but since they have the comic already, it would likely be much easier to just do it like that, even if The Splat was asking for his permission and work force on the job for their little TV Movie parade.

I wonder what reddit memes it will have

If it was a show, then it would be something you'd have to think about, this is a one-shot deal. Even if it was received well (who the fuck knows) I doubt they'd put it on rotation.

STOP TRYING TO RAPE MY CHILDHOOD
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT!

About a month ago I realized shows like Cat Dog, Chalkzone, and a few others on Nick have had TV Movies, I was wondering how it would go if specifically Rocko had one.

I guess I'm gonna find out next year.

but will we get a butt ugly martians tv movie?

As much as I'd love to see new episodes I doubt that it'll be anything like it was originally.

I HAVE NOT AUTHORIZED YOU TO EXIT THIS THREAD

>Episode where Mr. Bighead becomes a Vine sensation

>original animation staff
Nigger this show was animated overseas in some 3rd world shithole. Only the storyboards are drawn here in the US.

Not that user but wasn't this still where hand drawn shit was animated in-house or whatever? Like how Murray made the pilot all by himself.

Things You Only Watch When Absolutely Nothing Is On

>"We're officially out of ideas"

As much as I loved Rocko's Modern Life, it was funny because of how uniquely 90's it is. Back then you could avoid certain aspects of modernity and not come off as a total freak, but what is Rocko going to complain about today? Cell phones? Twitter? Swiping right?

It's too /r9k/

>and you don't have internet or DVDs or Blurays or any other method of watching other things not live

It's a movie, it's likely going to be the same place and deal with the same character's personalities, it's a one-story thing stretched to a movie, if anything it's.... yea probably saving spunky.

I just hope it's nothing "epic and SERIOUSSS" where there's a fucking base drop in the trailers

>it's a "we gotta save the town from evil corporation" plot

Which is precisely why no one would watch Rocko's Modern Life in the modern world.

They already did that, and it was an amazing episode. 'You can't fight city hall, you can't fight corporate america, they are big and we are small, you can't fight city hall."

What episode was that?

Ech, it's a Conglom-o story.

I could see it being an issue but I'm sure the show already tackled how conglom-o runs the whole town and possibly the world, considering one of it's buildings can go into space.

Citizens of Sup Forums, repeat after me: wee wee!

I don't care if it was good in the series, it is going to be hamfisted if it's done in a movie.

And it's so fucking cliche now. Especially after Recess, Hey Arnold, The Simpsons, and god knows what else did it already. I'm sick of it.

At least the Lego Movie had the balls to make it relevant to a different message besides "capitalism sucks, lol, never mind this movie is made by a giant corporation that is owned by Viacom, Disney, or whatever"

The one where Rocko has to fight Conglom-o to stop pollution. It ends with Big Head getting annihilated by uv rays after using spray deodorant to fill the air with chlorofluorocarbons.

That's especially funny in retrospect considering the fact the "hole" in the ozone layer did fuck all.

>I can only talk about Tumblr and if the topic is not about Tumblr, I must make it about Tumblr

How pathetic.

I want this to be good. It won't be good.

Yeah I don't think it was then either, the episode didn't take itself seriously and made fun of eco mascots too.

>Go to see the movie first day it drops
>3 hours long
>Just one frame of a mayonnaise jar no sound
Only way the movie could be better than bologna or salami

It's gonna be impossible to catch it's old vibe. They're probably going to turn it into something that tries too hard to be meaningful.

If this is a one-shot movie event like I'm saying, it shouldn't have any "wow it's been so long since our last adventure!" jokes, nothing to tell a nostalgic person meta jokes, nothing like that. It should just tell a new story, the sake it's coming back not being related.

I really don't see them fucking this up as bad as the new PPG, don't get me wrong, it would be hard without Murray, but he's with it and he should work on it well enough.

I have 7/10 hope.

The show can't have the dry cynicism it once had

The amount of whining in this thread has restored my faith that this will be an excellent movie.

Hopefully good enough that it gets a new series going.

Sup Forums is always wrong.

You're not a faggot

do you like the new ppg user

do you

does it embody the very nature of the soul inside your eyes, your chest, your legs, and very most of your heart?

is it good user

do you find it good user

is it coming for your bloodline next?

was Sup Forums wrong about it as well? as always even?

i want to see rocko in 1080p i said

i made a 1080p thread a month or so ago with a shitty trace i made of rocko in the car, i did

now its happening

it's going to be thin as fuck line work isnt it

god no why

A) One bad reboot doesn't mean all reboots are bad

B) Nickelodeon isn't Cartoon Hackwork

I wish I had your optimism but sadly I don't and it won't be. Atleast I grew up with original rocko.

>you're a steer!

You said Sup Forums is always wrong, don't ignore and change the subject of your ignorance user.

There's an evil in you.

You're seriously going to try to argue that because of Sup Forumss relentless negativity, the ignorant groupthink stumbled it's clumsily ass into one instance where it was correct.

That's broken clock syndrome, and "X is always wrong" is not a literal statement, dummy.

>says something
>someone calls you out for an instance where you were wrong
>"i wasn't being literal... you dummy!!"

jesus christ this reboot will be for you no matter how bad it is