Why aren't Americans able to elect a non-religious person? I thought they had freedom of religion?

Why aren't Americans able to elect a non-religious person? I thought they had freedom of religion?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_civil_religion
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I doubt either Trump or Obama are actually religious desu. It's just expected that they ACT religious.

Nobody - not even the Evangelicals who voted for him in droves - believes that Trump is religious

freedom of religion was more about not having quakers, protestants, and Catholics slaughtering each other.

>trump
>obama
>bush
>clinton
>bush
>reagan

>religious in any meaningful sense

Jimmy Carter was probably the last president who was seriously involved in Christianity my man

Haven't you figured out yet that all of America's """""freedoms""""" are bullshit?

Where is Pepe’s 3rd arm coming out of?

>barak HUSSEIN obama
>not a fucking muslim
pick one

But why must they pretend then? I think people just assume Americans care more than they actually would. Just like how Obama being black didn't end up being a problem

>Pepe’s
neck yourself

There's a great deal of Americans who see godlessness as lacking morals

Evangelical retards, and most of them do nothing for Christianity other than lip service. Democrats don't even need to pretend anymore since evangelicals are never going to vote for them again. America has always been a secular country and most forms of American Christianity ask basically nothing of their practitioners. There's also this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_civil_religion

Actually that applies to most of the World.

>Only in Finland and New Zealand, two secular countries, did the experiment not yield conclusive evidence of anti-atheist prejudice, said the team.

I thought reagan was a devout catholic, Even made pushes that eventually created the RFRA.

Then why do none of them care that Trump clearly isn't religious at all?

Kennedy has been the only Catholic president, and even then he was a "my country matters more than my religion" wishy-washy sort of Catholic. Reagan was a Presbyterian and his rhetoric got the evangelicals to vote for him, but I don't see any reason to believe that he was particularly religious during his presidency.

well their constitution said that congress shall make no law respecting a religion or prohibiting the practice thereof;
didn't stop their founders from starting each congressional meeting with a prayer which became tradition till to this day, same with the federal courts whom start each preceding with "God save the American States and this honorable court" or how most american presidents ends their speeches with "God Bless America"

No one really cares
People prefer if politicians keep it to themselves though
There haven't been too many overtly religious presidents either, Clinton was the last one who droned on about God and Jesus all the time

What the gook said basically. They don't care because he's not really in your face about being areligious. Also there's some people that are delusional enough to convince themselves that he is religious

The same reason they're about to elect a literal child rapist to the Senate; their candidate has a monopoly on the political policy they desperately crave. They're wiling to overlook (and rationalize) any transgression as long as they get the laws they're voting for, because it's not like the Democrats are a compelling alternative.

It's just convention

Religion has never been a goal in itself in the sphere of politics it's purpose is to provide a tool to fool people into caring about non-issues and voting against their interests.

We had a non-christian president once and the cia killed him

Evangelicalism is based on emotional appeal. If they want to believe that Trump is the meme saviour of America then they'll do whatever sort of mental gymnastics they have to in order to make it true.

>le marxist theory of religion
How's high school going?

>Trump is not reli-

at some point you are considered dumb enough that you aren't expected to care about religion
so jesus forgives him

I think its a lovely convention. It gives america a bit more character than the same bland metropolitan countenance seen in the majority of the first-world.

>put on a jew cap and touched a wall that a bajillion other tourists have touched

WOW

I mean Québec still has a crucifix in its legislature despite that the province is fedora as fuck, lots of Western countries still have Christian conventions even if most Westerners aren't practicing Christians

They should remove it

There are no non-religious persons in America.
About the same as India

reagan said he was presbyterian (his father was a catholic his mother was presbyterian) he has catholic siblings and children though

They actually did, it's partly why Pence is VP. It was a huge issue during the campaign and honestly one of the biggest reasons the GOP wasn't behind Trump initially. Evangelicals felt alienated and betrayed. Hell, look at Utah, the most religious state in the union. Third party received over 20% of the vote because they couldn't bring themselves to vote for Trump.

lmao, suck my cock rest of the world

>its okay to be faggot, trans, nigger, muslim, gook, or brown but STRANGE dont believe that Earth is 6000y.o.

lmao giving 3rd worlders internet access is the best thing America ever did

At least, we're, thirdworlders, have better internet connection and prices than you

The Christians in the US basically shit their pants and threaten to riot and kill if someone runs for office without openly kissing the ass of a baby Jesus effigy. They're no better than muslims except with a mostly Protestant Caliphate in place.