Is George Takei the Neil Degrasse Tyson of entertainment/comic books...

Is George Takei the Neil Degrasse Tyson of entertainment/comic books? How is Marvel concerned about sales in China cringe worthy? China Uncensored did a video explaining why Marvel may have cast a white woman.

youtube.com/watch?v=1xP45IXbObU

This is based on evidence and presented in a rational manner. The argument George is making is an appeal to emotion.

Other urls found in this thread:

cnn.com/2013/05/03/business/iron-man-china/
youtube.com/watch?v=eXHEMj1XORM
youtube.com/watch?v=2DhoBuU1Dtc
davidmeyercreations.com/mysteries-of-history/celtic-mummies-in-china/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pema_Chödrön
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yeah but he's right here
race changing for anything is retarded shit

It's okay to race change to blacks but we can't hire any Asians.

He's right.

Even for a potential additional $100 million? That's a retarded reason?

no, Takei isn't annoying and pedantic

they cast a white woman, in tibet, wearing traditional tibetan monk robes, doing a tibetan form of martial arts, while Dr Strange spins tibetan singing bowls.

and then said she was "celtic" and in no way asian related.

I don't know if he's right about her being cast because she's white but he is right that the China excuse is bullshit

Real talk though if they were to cast Takei as the Ancient One I might have been okay with that.

>Is George Takei the Neil Degrasse Tyson of entertainment/comic books?

I don't understand this sentence.

China went to see Iron Man 3 in droves to see Mandarin.

They were more pissed off than us he wasn't in it.

NDT is a huge faggot who hates fun so I don't understand it either.

And the new Cosmos was shitty.

If you want to play the race card, then the only actor they can cast as The Ancient One would have to be Tibetan or you're saying all Asians are interchangeable.

No they weren't. You're confusing Chinese people with Americans who call themselves Asian.

neil degrasse tyson points out scientific inaccuracies in everything he watches, especially things space related.

and it was funny at first, now its just annoying and he goes out of his way to do it (like saying bb8 in the new star wars wouldn't be able to roll on sand or some bullshit)

Then, why didn't Marvel just change who the Ancient One is for the MCU?

Make some situation where the Ancient One doesn't have to be Tibetan, and can be some new age, morrisonfag wet dream?

Nothing in his argument argues against the China issue. The Ancient One is Tibetian. Tibet is a sensitive issue. The issue if the character, not the place it's being depicted.

And yet the people pissed off about Dr Strange praised that subversion of expectations and calls it a win for diversity.

>Tibetan
You mean Chinese. Unless it's the 1940's again.

It shouldn't fucking matter what race the actor is, as long as said actor doesn't give a shitty performance.

Yes it is.

This whole fucking issue is making me mad. I would accept the argument that it's white washing if they would just make a stronger argument than the argument for appealing to the CCP. Instead the argument is an appeal to emotion and just expecting you to agree.

I can see this to degree yes, but I'm starting to think this problem is being overstated a bit. I actually do see some asians in marvel's films (including this one) They race swapped Strange in Gotham, the race swapped some archie characters into Asians, the got some asians in a lot of the X-men films, and they got some in Agents of Shield. Is that still not enough or is the damage from dragon ball, ironman 3, and the last airbender too great?

Ah. And the other guy? I only know him from being the asian trekkie.

"It's ok when you race change as long as you race change to a white person" - Sup Forums

Anyone angry at Tilda's casting is just a sexist trying to keep women from having important roles in films. I like that there's a female character who gets to be the wise teacher for once instead of just the love interest.

Xi Jingping pls.

cnn.com/2013/05/03/business/iron-man-china/

thats what he is.
hes gotten kinda more famous in the internet age just by being openly gay and asian and old?

Goerge Takei is insufferable these days. The guy is on a crusade about something or other fairly regularly.

There are plenty of people on Sup Forums who believe there's nothing wrong with black Wally, for instance, so I'd imagine those are the same people.

Thing is white countries and white people don't have the same problems PoC's do. In Into Darkness, Khan was a white person based on fears of negative backlash about showing a Sikh, and from progressives of all people.

Okay, so, he is nothing to comic books then? What is OP complaining about.

I wouldn't even mind the crusades if 90% of his shares hadn't turned into clickbait. Something tells me he doesn't even access his Facebook account anymore.

>cast an asian, people bitch about stereotypes
>don't cast an asian, people bitch about whitewashing

So are companies suppose to now be agents of social development, improvement and promotion, rather than tools to make money as is their intended nature by design? Isn't the former suppose to be the job of government and the people?

People need to make up their minds whether it's ok or not to change characters races. Equality means equal people.

This is difficult. On the one hand I love Tilda and think it's going to be a great performance by her, on the other hand it's starting to seem more like Marvel(or Disney, depending on how you look at it), are afraid that American audiences won't want to see a movie without a majority of white people in it.

When they cast ScarJo as Makoto I just shrugged it off as them keeping their go to actress around, but now it's starting to seem really stupid that they just don't hire a fucking Asian-American actor to play the Asian character.

It wouldn't matter if it was this one movie: it's shitty because hey, Tilda is pretty great and she will probably do a good job. But there isn't a lot of Asian roles, they are hella typecast, and it sucks that the same shit arguments keep being used when its pretty obvious Asians are being excluded.

China is mega racist my man, and they have a big white people fetish. A lot of people in America are under the misconception that only white americans are racist and are incredulous that America is actually fairly above average when it comes to tolerance.

Well, I'm pretty certain he never ran his facebook, but he likely dictates the subject matter, but yeah it got hard to follow with all the clickbait and politics.

Isn't that true of Japan as well? Aren't all the anime characters deigned after white people?

Thanks for proving my point idiot.

Nope. That's a myth. There isn't actually a single anime character that looks white, with the exceptions of western characters who are actually white in setting of course.

Japan is breaking that mold. It's starting to get pretty mixed.

I think they were banking on people being happy about it because tumblr loves her.

They didn't do their oppression calculations right. Despite Asians kicking ass in every other field they still fall lower than white women in movies.

Who?

>cringeworthy
Huh, so even elderly men develop the social media vernacular when they spend enough time on it
That's kind of interesting.

Not gonna lie I was disappointed when I saw this although I think Tilda is a great actress.

Honestly I would rather keep Tilda and recast Strange tbqh familia.

>on the other hand it's starting to seem more like Marvel(or Disney, depending on how you look at it), are afraid that American audiences won't want to see a movie without a majority of white people in it.

They're probably not wrong. Not in in the sense of racism, but like how white people probably aren't watching stuff like Empire in large numbers.

youtube.com/watch?v=eXHEMj1XORM

Should've just got Mickey Rooney to play her.

1 of those actually gives an asian actor a job

But Empire is good! It's about awful people and how they fuck up their own goddamn lives and the lives of those around them.

Even though I think asians claiming victim is laughable considering their superiority in terms of socioeconomic status and no general ill feelings in the US against them, it seems to me that they generally think that while both are bad, the stereotyping would be preferable to the whitewashing.

and its comic accurate

it really shows the hypocrisy of Sup Forums that it's ok to not be comic accurate only when its for more white people

How many privilege points do Chinese people have? On one hand they were exploited by Western powers and oppressed for being Chinese, on the other hand they commit some pretty brutal actions themselves, like culture genocide, mass starvation, ect.

>superiority in terms of socioeconomic status
lol do you think that just happened? that they were given that status or something?

Also the no general ill feelings in the US against them is retarded, there are plenty of cases of racism against Asians and not just the "positive racism" or bullshit like that

Some people, even on social media, have grown agitated by his insistence on giving his "expert" opinion on things outside of his field.
It's also crazy at how much exposure he gets for being the black science man, but I don't think anyone has actually changed opinions on that front - you either hated it from the beginning or you didn't.

>The appeal may have something to do with additional scenes added into the Chinese version of the film. The extra four minutes of footage feature product placement for a Chinese-branded milk drink and two new characters, Dr Wu and his assistant, played by top Chinese actors Wang Xueqi and Fan Bingbing,
They try to even it out

you could read the link?
but George Takei, and many others are mad about Tilda Swinton (the whitest woman ever) being cast as the The Ancient One, a Tibetan Monk who trains Dr Strange.

Marvel claims they made the character "Celtic" because they didn't want to piss of China by saying that Tibet is a real place. Except they didn't make her Celtic (as far as we can tell), they merely made her a white Tibetan monk.

>found the racists

Could he pull off the beard?

Meme celebrity.

>When they cast ScarJo as Makoto I just shrugged it off as them keeping their go to actress around, but now it's starting to seem really stupid that they just don't hire a fucking Asian-American actor to play the Asian character.

that movie is being done by Dreamworks and Paramount, aka no relation to Disney/Marvel.

Yeah but people see it as a "black show" so they think it's not meant for them, at least if you look at audience percentages. It's a weird phenomenon.

The argument that they cast a white woman to avoid Tibet reference is null and void if she is shown AS Tibetan. Now THAT'S a counter argument, but one based on more information.

Shut the fuck up. If you're seriously going to try to convince us that Asians are a disadvantaged group in the US, then take your identity politics bullshit and kill yourself, m8.

This argument is simple ALWAYS ignore the first fucking group.

Nothing good comes from listening to them.

no, we (americans) just assume they're white since they have fairer skin tones, and we generally think asians = yellow.

its racist to be comic accurate?

I am Asian and I would fuck Tilda Swinton

Actually, you're both wrong. The Japanese don't really seem to give a shit about the "race" thing in anime because it's not real and they aren't modeled after real people, races, or ethnicities unless it's explicitly necessary for the viewer.

No, really; youtube.com/watch?v=2DhoBuU1Dtc

Japan's got it's issues, but it's people are pretty fucking based.

You haven't seen enough self-insert hentai where the men are yellowish and the women are still pinkish with bright pink nipples.

>Don't have a dissenting opinion, or I'll whine about it! Racism is dead, Fresh off the Boat is a sitcom now!

>disadvantaged group in the US
When the fuck did I say that?

Ok just answer this question. Yes or no. Do you think Asians in the US ever feel the effects of racism ever in any field. Just a simple yes or no.

Takei seems absolutely right here. I remember Carlyle's interview in which he detailed the problems with casting a Tibetan Actor because of China, but he completely neglected to mention that it was going to be Nepal, so it wouldn't even matter.

People don't care about stereotpyes anymore. Remember they also wanted Iron Fist to be Asian because he's a kung fu man.

Sometimes.

Isn't it racist and sexist to say that a white woman couldn't be a Tibetan monk?

>so they think it's not meant for them

Funny how this mindset it supported by progressives.

So you were ok with the Mandarin change too?

>casting tilda swinton is cringeworthy
George Takei is dead to me.

>Is George Takei the Neil Degrasse Tyson of entertainment/comic books?
By that do you mean someone who is nearly universally well-liked and respected in their field?

You sir. I like the way you think.

Nah, they should have cast a Chinese guy. They just shouldn't have made it completely comics accurate. They should have worked with a good dramatic Chinese actor to come up with a portrayal of the character that isn't an outdated, offensive stereotype.

the Khan change was retarded, and even more racist than the original casting because it implied that a white guy would be the pinacle of human evolution.

It would be if they were changing a white woman to be Tibetan.

>strawmaning
Nobody claimed racism is dead. Just that it's hardly an issue in an average Asian person's daily life. If it was, they wouldn't be complaining about stupid shit like stereotyping in movies.

I'm sure occasionally some do. And it's no more severe discrimination than the kid in elementary school who gets thick glasses, or the kid who's scrawny and gets picked on a bit.

There are some aspects of cultural appropriation that are real (like ceremonial garb being worn as a costume), but yeah. It's largely dumb when you start saying you can't eat another culture's food or sing their music without being racist.

>Do you think Asians in the US ever feel the effects of racism ever in any field.
No

No they wouldn't.
Just as it wouldn't be a problem in any way for someone from Norway to play a Swedish character.

davidmeyercreations.com/mysteries-of-history/celtic-mummies-in-china/

If Doctor Strange, a european, can go to Tibet to learn Tibetan traditions, why is it so weird for another european to have already done this?

Yes, I know that the comic character is canonically Tibetan, but the movie character is still just as plausible as Strange is. I'm not remotely coming at this from "white guy wants to see white faces" either, I'm a solid devotee of 70's kung-fu flicks (come to think of it, Bolo Yeung would have been awesome for this).

But the studio said "Tibet is a touchy subject, avoid it. It's not in Tibet, he's not Tibetan, think of something else" and that's all it is. I was okay with Fury, I was okay with Heimdall, and I'm okay with this.

This nigga is acting like they're denying work to asian people.

The actors aren't the only people involved in the movie, you know.

Steve Ditko would probably agree with Takei, but probably also not give a damn about the movie.

Neil Degrasse Tyson ruins fun.
Takei elevates the work he participates in.

They're making hundreds of millions regardless. Having an Asian play an Asian role isn't going to cost them $100 million dollars. Whatever 'loss' they do suffer is negligible anyway. I can't believe you're defending that as the reason anyway, talk about being a complete fucking shill.

>Takei elevates the work he participates in.

What does he participate in?

is that really what it implies? isn't Khan and his people a eugenics experiment? though it is retarded since it's supposed to be the same continuity from before but diverting at the death of Papa Kirk. Khan should still be a Nazi Sihk.

Oops, well my bad.

But you have admit that Scar is the go to actress for female lead action movies these days.

Asians are not yellow, they have skin as white as any white person.

From one Buddhist to my faggoty brothers:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pema_Chödrön