Iron man was 8 years ago

>Iron man was 8 years ago
>we are now headed for Infinity war

Can we take a moment to appreciate the marvel that is the MCU today? This has to be the most ambitious project in movie history and the ride's about to end.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymotion.com/video/x3inv0_whose-line-is-it-anyway-the-million_news
youtube.com/watch?v=zUAi5vzYO2o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>about to end
Wat? No it's not.
They will continue MCU after Infinity War.

I kinda wish it wouldn't. It's gonna feel really fatigued to keep going once you've gone there.

you know it's the end of the golden age

There are still plenty of stories to be told, literally years.

What could they even do after Thanos to keep it interesting?

Decades even. Bringing in Spider-Man he's got a number of sagas under his belt.

Smaller, more personal stories can still be told and be interesting. Daredevil season 1 for example was great even though it came post Avengers.

If they could get back the rights from Fox like they did with Spidey, we can see stuff like Doom and Galactus. Hell just having Spidey period had already opened up a lot options.

Though personally I also feel like Infinkty War is just the right spot to end it. Anything more will just be ridiculous and probably not live up to the whole buildup of the Infinity Gems storyline going on.

And even moreso if Marvel ever reacquires F4. I doubt they'll ever get mutants back though.

Doctor Strange has some good stories in him to keep the stakes interesting and high. For the Avengers, I'm not sure. They haven't yet said that they're going to make Avengers movies after Infinity War, and they might not.

>I doubt they'll ever get mutants back though.

They have Inhumans, Ike has to die some day

Which thus far have been relegated to a T.V. show. Not that it's bad, but it could be better. The movie doesn't even have a release date anymore.

You know stories can be good without the fate of the universe being in the balance, right?

I hope it dies before it starts utilizing comic book time.

Secret Wars?

Or Secret Invasion/Dark Reign.

>before it starts utilizing comic book time.

They have no need to do so

Comic book time?

I'm pretty casual, forgive me.

Kingdom Come

Somebody ought to do it.

Ever notice how Peter's been in high school for like 2 decades and is still a babyfaced kid?
That's comic book time

Recycling the same characters for decades without aging them the same amount.

Ex: Superman has still been active for less than 15 years.

I think they mean "Sliding timescale". Once they do that the MCU is pretty much dead, because that will mean they'd like likely recast their characters younger to make more sequels, instead of progressing with the story. A part of me wants this thing to just keep going until we're watching movies about Mayday Parker and King Thor's daughters. See how long we can ride this crazy train.

This is p. accurate. The MCU does a "reboot" every decade or so. Johnny Depp will be the next Iron Man after RDJ croaks

in a century from now when they get the X-men rights back I hope Hugh Jackman still plays Wolverine

If all of the classic Avengers are old people, I'd be surprised if Marvel moved on to new characters instead of recasting. I'd love it if they did the former but I wouldn't bet on it happening.

Oh right, thanks for the explanation.

I'm guessing they'll continue with legacies instead of recasting for a time. Have Bucky become Cap, use Beta Ray Bill (or Sif as Thor?) and so on. They also have other heroes they can use when the original Avengers retire.

Stop that! No reboots! I mean it!

Sorry bub Wolverine 3 is his last Wolverine movie

Aren't Johnny Depp and RDJ around the same age?

that's what vocaloids are for.

They did that in the comics before they realized people liked the old characters more, and so went back.

So he says now.

You do a handful more solo stories, then you go for a "swan song".

Something smaller and more personal. Another Civil War type story about two teams fighting. Maybe contrive a Dark Avengers story or something. Something where after it ends, we feel secure that most of the biggest trouble is behind these characters and they can handle anything.

Then you stop.

Or work on a new generation of heroes.

>I'd be surprised if Marvel moved on to new characters instead of recasting. I'd love it if they did the former but I wouldn't bet on it happening.

AoU made me feel like they are ready to introduce new characters and call them members of the Avengers team. The actors contracts are going to run out soon and recasting major leads for fatigued franchises may actually prove harder

Also it would be easier to do legacy shift rather than recasting a major lead

Yeah, but in the movies audiences might not like seeing those old characters recasted. It's different than in the comics.

The public got used to RDJ Stark and Evans Cap, I doubt they'll be receptive to some other actors playing the characters. I think they'd rather see someone familiar like Bucky take on the Cap mantle than see some other actor pretend to be Steve Rogers.

Except the project didn't start out that way, it only got ambitious once they started raking in money, which is a lot less ballsy.
Also none of them individually are even close to being ambitious compared to a lot of crazy complicated movies Hollywood has done. And I don't mean "they're dumb lol, try being artsy and deep", I mean the scale of shit that happens and what it took to make it happen aren't Ben Hur or LOTR level.

I like the MCU a lot but it's really not that innovative, they just took sequelling to the next level.

a coupon for a free ride at disneyland has been deposited into your bank account

Does Thanos even make it interesting at all? Where we are now he doesn't seem more interesting than Ronan.
There's more to heroics than powerlevels.

Not even the same company brah

>"can we take a moment"
>"can we just"
Stop making threads like this. It reeks of tumblr speak.

Do you usually have trouble tying your shoes?

RDJ is a bit younger

At this point I'm pretty sure the IPs are stronger than the actors, recasting wouldn't kill the MCU, no matter how some people would hate it.

>"can we take a moment"
>"can we just"
Stop making threads like this. It reeks of tumblr.

>he expects closure
>from capeshit
Point at him and laugh.

>Yeah, but in the movies audiences might not like seeing those old characters recasted.
Is there any indication of that (besides assumptions from people who want that to be true)?
They seem fine with James Bond and Batman being played by different actors every 5 years.

>see some other actor pretend to be Steve Rogers.
As opposed to the current actor pretending to be Steve Rogers?

Cocaine's a hell of a drug.

Are you suggesting that Depp doesn't do coke? Motherfucker is so burnt he's literally blind in one eye.

I mean cocaine's a hell of a preservative.

Korvac Saga

Yeah, but I'd lose interest, and stop paying for them, I think.

>and the ride's about to end.
TWENTY
TWENTY
EIGHT

>Does Thanos even make it interesting at all?
Yes, because Thanos is interesting. He's almost the main character to his own story that intersects with other people's. In that way he's like Loki.
Also, James Gunn won't be writing him this time.

Gunn was asked by Whedon to put him in and not do too much.

Thanos was meant as a pull for GotG audiences, not the other way around.

Considering all the overall control the executives at Marvel and Disney proper hold over these movies, they really might as well just say they're writing by committee, since they basically are for these enormous pictures like Infinity War.

>Gunn was asked by Whedon to put him in and not do too much.
"Not do much" didn't have to mean still sitting in a damn chair and issuing vague threats."

And I'm sure some people said that the 1st time they recast James Bond.
Yet here we are, 50 years later, with a James Bond movie every other year that still makes bank and gets relatively praised critically.

I'm honestly not sure why you feel that way either, actors are the most expandable part of a story, there's no reason to think a Captain America movie with a different Steve Rogers wouldn't be as good as long as the writers and directors are good.

I don't go watch Chris Evans act (no matter how cute he is), I go watch Captain America kick some ass and deliver hamfisted speeches.

What did you want him to do in that movie? He threatened a dude everyone feared, and was more annoyed than afraid when threatened with a planet-destroying stone.

You mean Thanos is interesting in comics.
In the movies he's just been a guy sitting on a chair being a dick to his subordinates.
Right now, he's not making anything interesting. If they develop him, he could, but as is he's basically a different looking and less campy Rita Repulsa.

There's still Ragnarok to come.

>What did you want him to do in that movie?
Maybe be standing in that Sanctuary, looking into the Infinity Well, and say something philosophical about the universe's nature. Gamora's relationship with him should have been more complex than "he killed my family and laughed, and I hate him" Reminder that in the comics it was someone else who killed Gamora's family and he rescued her to hone her desire for revenge to be the weapon for his own evil ends. She turned against him when she found out what he really wanted, but he was still her "father" in a sense. That's emotionally complex. That's something there you can work with. "killed my family, laughed" and then pressed her into service as his personal assassin is Saturday morning cartoon.

He could still be dismissive and mocking to Ronan, but it should have been less of a thing he was even worked up about or angry about. And when Ronan said I'm coming for you." He should have just smiled.

These three phases build up to and culminate in full cosmic.
Have the next 2-3 build up to and culminate in full multiverse.
Dr Strange, Man-Thing, Captain Britain, the works. Nothing is too out there or crazy.
Have the post-credit scene for Infinity War imply that the fight with Thanos tore through reality and let a being from Beyond peek through into the universe.
2027/8/9: Marvel's Secret Wars Parts 1, 2 & 3. Beyonder build's a battleworld like in Shooter's version but it's made of different universes instead of planets and the multiverse is at stake like Hickman's.

Yeah I hear the director is a pretty cool guy who doesn't affraid of cosmic, so there's a chance.

>In the movies he's just been a guy sitting on a chair being a dick to his subordinates.
See
>Also, James Gunn won't be writing him this time.

Yeah, but then what would you put in the two IW to come?

Gunn wasn't tasked to write Thanos and decide the end-goal of the MCU. That was Joss's (or would be, were it not for the Russos) job.

I'd say he shouldn't have been there at all, but that wasn't an option. Fuck Whedon.

Taika is the fucking man. Probably their best director, bar Coogler, maybe. Pic related.

Which is absolutely not a guarantee of anything.
James Gunn didn't write every other shitty cape villain either.
Who's writing IW2 anyway? McFeely and whatshisname?

>This has to be the most ambitious project in movie history

You're forgetting Boyhood - that movie took TWELVE years to make!

If they ever get the X-Men rights back they have to do Wolverine properly
i.e. recast him as a manlet.

>I'd say he shouldn't have been there at all, but that wasn't an option. Fuck Whedon.
Well I have faith in the Russos and The Cap writing team, so I'm hopeful for IW's Thanos. If they can take the grandiosity that they gave the Red Skull and the personal element that they gave Zemo, I think we'll be just fine.

Markus and McFeely, the guys from the three Cap movies.

Ant-Man took 10, too.

>Who's writing IW2 anyway? McFeely and whatshisname?
Yeah, their Track record's not bad. People like Zemo and VHS Zola.

It took TWELVE years to make!

Use interesting villains instead of Thanos.

In a recent Russo interview (I don't know how recent but I saw it about a week or so ago) they said they plan to develop him so he isn't just some guy and you end up learning a lot about him. This is probably what part 1 is about, as he travels through the universe and more people learn of his existence they slowly uncover more of his back story and the audience understands a bit more behind the guy who literally hasn't gotten off his ass until the after credits scene of age of ultron.

Like Beyonder.

>VHS Zola
He had one scene, acting like Dr. Evil and sounding like a Swiss X the Exterminator.
He was fine but I wouldn't exactly hang anything on that.
Pierce was pretty good too I guess.

Pretty sure part 1 will be mostly on Earth, and pretty separated from part 2 narratively. They apparently even want to change the titles. I've read that somewhere.
I'd bet more on Ragnaros potentially giving him some development.

Gunn openly said he was uncomfortable with Thanos being in GotG, because his "bigger, badder" presence could've made Ronan, the actual villain of the movie, look like a pussy in comparison. So of course he didn't do much in the movie. He then solved the Ronan dilemma by making him kill the Other and threaten to do the same with Thanos

>sounding like a Swiss X the Exterminator.
Wait, no, actually he sounded like Greg Proops saying "is this your final answer" in a German accent.
dailymotion.com/video/x3inv0_whose-line-is-it-anyway-the-million_news

It didn't work, imho.

>Wandafags are still writing Chthon MCU fanfiction in spite of this

Why? Thanos showed to have motives that go beyond weird space politics and wars, and Ronan certainly didn't look like a pushover (Lee Pace's delivery helped, of course). For me it was pretty balanced

youtube.com/watch?v=zUAi5vzYO2o

?

The "kill The Other" part.

>It's no secret that Thanos will factor into "Avengers: Infinity War." After all, the death-obsessed villain has skulked around the corners of the Marvel Cinematic Universe ever since the post-credits scene in the first "Avengers" film. However, in "Infinity War," he'll feature a lot more heavily -- and screenwriters Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely promise his entrance will be huge.

>"We don't get an element of surprise. Everyone knows he's coming, and yet he hasn't had terribly many scenes that have illuminated very much about him," Markus explained to ScreenCrush, adding, "You can count on a lot of scenes where we illuminate a lot about him very early."

>Introducing Thanos won't be the screenwriters' only challenge. "The challenge is hanging on to character as motivation when you blow the canvas up to the entire universe. And not to make it seem like all your people look like tiny little video game characters running around," McFeely shared.

>"It's just trying to balance character moments in the middle of big, crazy Jim Starlin action," added Markus.

Ronan just kinda fell flat as a villain. The scene with Thanos still felt like a chihuahua barking at a pitbull, and killing the Other felt contrived.

It didn't help that his manerisms reminded me of a scrawny kid I knew. Something in the face, and the way he talked.

i only see MCU continuing if they stop makin avengers movie or if the co-sign with fox.
it doesnt feel like Marvel even knows what to do after IW other than secret invasion.

>implying it's interesting right now

Maybe if your 13

>they don't really know what to do
>implying that will stop them

there's money to be made.They'll come up with plots.

Are you stupid?
>talking about marvel movies
>"lets do a DC storyline guys....somehow"

Galactus and the Surfer would work well, you could even have the Surfer be a villian of sorts in multiple films as part of his heralding.

Introduce him or Nova in Guardians first

>and the ride's about to end.

Does that mean you'll leave after that, Sup Forums?

I don't see why people want it to end. I find it really exciting to have a franchise continually moving forward. I mean, what's so great with starting another franchise that sets you back at square one where they have to overthrow the evil king or discovering their powers again?

Hell, life after Thanos is full of exciting possibilities. It's Marvel's fault for pushing Thanos so much as the final bad when they could do equally bad people like Mephisto or Beyonder.

They might do a soft reboot, where the reality infinity gem brings us from the ultimates universe to the 616, explaining the recasts of the main characters, they could even bring back J. Jonah Jameson from the Raimi spideymovies or even white Nick Fury and do a proper Howling Commandos movie

And Thanos does not appear particularly interesting in those few seconds. just give threats and little else.

it would be more interesting if they had shown him while he worship something (without revealing that it is the Death herself), with some prayer or scene.

Is Civil War worth watching for somebody who really likes Spider-Man and is interested in Black Panther but has been sick of MCU films since Age of Ultron?

I really want that movie, to see Bucky pull some badass shit hurling that shield at supersonic speeds with his bionic arm, and give him the black US Agent uniform with the sleeve torn off for his metal arm, would be super badass.

yup

Yes. It is very different from the average Marvel movie. Spider-Man and BP are debatably the best parts of the film

Is it too late to introduce John Walker?