Terrence Malick

Comfy Sunday Malick thread?
Watching Badlands currently

I've yet to watch To The Wonder, Knight of Cups and Song to Song
Worth a watch?

wanna watch song to song again

screener when

song to song is my favorite of the bunch
knight of cups felt a bit aimless. will watch again though.
to the wonder has ben affleck so make of that what you will

>watched Days of Heaven
>slow moving, boring plot
>uses similar cinematography as Tree of Life
really makes me think

To the Wonder is definitely worth a watch.

I was excited to watch Song to Song, only to find out there wasn't a single showing near me.
Here I thought it would be my first of his to see in theater, since I skipped out on KOC when that was released.

... I like Ben Affleck.
Really makes you wonder who funds Terry's movies. I know he was getting sued

>miley cyrus fan also likes terrence mallick
whew

yeah i got very lucky to see it where i live in the midwest. one of the theatres in town just got bought by amc and they're starting to get some cool stuff. still, this was only showing for about a week.

very strange considering the big cast, but not so much considering beauty and the beast was dominating at the time and they needed the screen space

I don't listen to her music but I think she's cute. When not dressed like a weird degenerate. Fairly hot imo

Even though it was stock footage they bought, it feels so much like something he'd shoot.
One of my favorite ending scenes, like a hint of what's to come. Style wise

shitty director with shitty narration that ruins all of his movies

He literally turned into a life insurance ad director.

This shot wasn't planned correct?

Yea. They were driving back and Terry asked for them to pull over. Told Martin Sheen to walk out there a long the sun setting

I've only see badlands. Where should I go next?

shitty post desu

Days Of Heaven -> Thin Red Line -> The New World -> Tree Of Life -> To The Wonder

Not a big fan of KoC or Song to Song.

this is one of my favorites
I can only watch it alone because all my friends think its boring and prefer capeshit

>Not a big fan of KoC
no one should listen to your opinion ever

Thanks, I'm grabbing thin red line and tree of life. I'll come back to others when I'm done.
I loved the visuals and slower pace of badlands. It's nice to not get eye-fucked by cgi

Not him but I'm a huge Malick fan and KoC is definitely one of his weaker films. Still good though.

I have all of his Criterion releases on blu-ray
And Tree of Life.
Planning on getting the rest of his stuff.
With Malick it's kind of hard to say what order to watch stuff

>I have all of his Criterion releases on blu-ray
That Thin Red Line picture quality tho

ToL > TTRL = DoH > KoC > BL > TtW > TNW >>>>> StS

Has anybody seen Voyage of Time? It never got released in my city.

>KoC is definitely one of his weaker films.
why? expand on what makes the others great and what is lacking in Knight of cups?

second this, i really wanted to watch voyage.

Halfway through thin red line, holy shit what a movie.

No Imax near me so I also didn't see Voyage, sadly.
Song to Song was disappointing to me, the trailer seemed like a great fever dream atmosphere of them traversing the texan music scene but the movie was very little of that. The scenes with Fassbender were great because he brought out the worst in all the other characters, which made all those scenes very interesting, but the rest of the film was just... eh. Meddling, okay. Not as much beauty as the rest of Malick's filmography.
Knight of Cups was great though, it seemed to have much more focus and thought and interesting ideas behind it, unlike TtW and StS which felt more improvised.

In my opinion: TToL > DoH = TTRL >> KoC > TNW > BL >>> TTW >>>>>>> StS

shitty movie to be honest

>DUH LET'S BREAK OUR ARMS TO REMEMBER THIS MOMENT HUR DURH

I saw the IMAX version of VoT. It costed a hell of a lot of money and was only 40 minutes long. For some reason, our version didn't have like ANY narration, so I felt like I missed a substantial amount of what the movie's supposed to be about, but it's still beautiful.

The Thin Red Line is one of the best looking movies I've ever seen

still havent seen the new world, is it any good? pre colonial new england setting seems great to me

There were supposed to be two versions. One with brad pitt narrating, supposedly the shorter one

Solid Malick entry imo, has some very beautiful stuff. I also think it marks his first collaboration with Lubezki?

Give it a watch. I was worried I wouldn't enjoy it but I did. Stunning.
Don't expect pocahontas though.
I watched the 172 minute cut btw

1. "To the Wonder".
2. "Knight of Cups".
3. "The New World".
4. "The Tree of Life".
5. "Voyage of Time".
6. "The Thin Red Line".
7. "Days of Heaven".
8. "Badlands".

how is it compared to his other films? I want to see it but I live on an island that only shows hollywood shit.

>being a miley cyrus fan
>in 2017

I've seen the theatrical version, the 90 minute one. It's a pretty straightforward visual history of the universe and Earth, intercut with really lo-fi footage (reminded me of Godard's last movie) of modern life, mostly poor people from the US, Africe, China, Russia, etc.

Overall, I liked it, but the main narrative was a bit too on-the-nose for me.

I really want to pick up the criterion edition of this. such a beautiful film.

>not being a goddamn sexual Tyrranosaurus like moi

Picked it up during a 50% sale at B&N